Boundless CF / CFX / CF-Hybrid

Vapor Trails

I've read some say they have a weird taste from their CF/CFX. Does is burn off if run a few cycles at max heat without using it, and what chemical is causing the smell? I have bad chemical sensitivities and am just curious of what I need to do to get rid of any odors or tastes besides the bud.

Vapor Trails,

mpizzle421

I received my Boundless CF from PIU today. A+ shipping speed by the way.

I have unfortunately run into the plastic/rubber taste that has been referenced here. It's enough that I haven't used the device yet. I have:

1. Run it through ~8 or so dry run cycles @ max temp.

2. Soaked the mouth piece in isopropyl alcohol

Neither of which has changed the taste. It's not so bad until you actually taste things while doing the dry burn (a couple of puffs to see if I notice it). It's a rubber / plastic taste. Reminds me of something I've tasted before.

It's also not coming from the mouth piece as some have indicated (at least in my case). It's actually coming from the bowl. I can remove the mouth piece and smell the same thing I'm tasting by giving the bowl a good sniff. I'm heard people say that it goes away after a few good sessions - but I can't help but wonder if it's just masking it with the taste of material rather than actually going away. It reminds me of some kind of medical / dental taste I've experienced and can't place. I think the origin may be the hard plastic above the bowl.

Any suggestions or words of wisdom?

RelaxedNow

I have unfortunately run into the plastic/rubber taste that has been referenced here. It's enough that I haven't used the device yet. I have:

Neither of which has changed the taste. It's not so bad until you actually taste things while doing the dry burn (a couple of puffs to see if I notice it). It's a rubber / plastic taste. Reminds me of something I've tasted before.

It's also not coming from the mouth piece as some have indicated (at least in my case). It's actually coming from the bowl. I can remove the mouth piece and smell the same thing I'm tasting by giving the bowl a good sniff. I'm heard people say that it goes away after a few good sessions - but I can't help but wonder if it's just masking it with the taste of material rather than actually going away. It reminds me of some kind of medical / dental taste I've experienced and can't place. I think the origin may be the hard plastic above the bowl.

Did you swab the bowl with iso? That pretty much took care of it in mine. Then, I just cooked some weed in it to take care of a little residual odor.

I figure I've inhaled so much crap in my lifetime that a little something more couldn't make much difference. Of course, I wouldn't inhale visible burnoff, 'cause that's just nasty.

mpizzle421

Has the rep from Boundless ever responded to these reports? He seemed pretty active while promoting the device.

I guess I would be concerned about the safety of the device. I same thing I taste I can smell. When I puff on the end piece when cooled off, I taste it. When I did a few experimental puffs on the mouth piece when the device was dry vaping, I could really taste it.

Sure, people have said that running herb through the unit seemed to resolve what they tasted - but that sounds more like the problem was masked than resolved. Makes you wonder if all of the materials used to manufacture the until are actually rated to be heated to those temps and be safely used by the consumer in the way that they are. What about the chemicals they apply to the plastic(s), etc to coat them, finish, etc. Are those rated to be heated up and consumed in a vape?

Hopefully these questions have been answered previously and I missed it. Just a bit concerning and I don't know that the concerns would be exclusive to this device. Not having a discernible taste is not entirely a sign that you aren't exposing yourself to toxic material.

waxdab23

Has the rep from Boundless ever responded to these reports? He seemed pretty active while promoting the device.

I guess I would be concerned about the safety of the device. I same thing I taste I can smell. When I puff on the end piece when cooled off, I taste it. When I did a few experimental puffs on the mouth piece when the device was dry vaping, I could really taste it.

Sure, people have said that running herb through the unit seemed to resolve what they tasted - but that sounds more like the problem was masked than resolved. Makes you wonder if all of the materials used to manufacture the until are actually rated to be heated to those temps and be safely used by the consumer in the way that they are. What about the chemicals they apply to the plastic(s), etc to coat them, finish, etc. Are those rated to be heated up and consumed in a vape?

Hopefully these questions have been answered previously and I missed it. Just a bit concerning and I don't know that the concerns would be exclusive to this device. Not having a discernible taste is not entirely a sign that you aren't exposing yourself to toxic material.

This was posted one page back: http://blog.puffitup.com/2016/08/boundless-cfx-tear-down-piece-by-piece/

The consensus is that it is a safe device.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Still you can see the usual Chinese suspects in these photos: polyimide tape (known for smelly adhesive), some silicone parts (some people have sensibilities) and the winner, a dash of silicone bonding glue (the white blob to isolate the hole through which the wires go)

Now everything is supposed to be out of the isolated path, so it shouldn't impact taste.

AgentofChaos

Serial Vapist

I received my CF last week and experienced the same issue. I did exactly what you've done and soaked the mouthpiece in ISO and ran several dry cycles. While it's not the most pleasant taste, after 3-4 sessions the 'plastic' taste goes away for the most part, almost as if the chamber needs to be 'seasoned.' Now that I've had even more time with the device, and have had multiple sessions a day with it, there's zero medical or plastic taste and my sessions are flavorful and very cloudy.

Vapor Trails

I'm thinking of putting my MP in the oven (a real oven) at 400 degrees after I alcohol and rinse it once it gets here. The oven shouldn't harm it since it is being used to cool vapor. Hopefully that will help get rid of taste or smell.

I'd really like to know what chemical everyone is smelling from the device (what the manufacturer used and why), and would like to know exactly where it is coming from if it is taking burn off via the vaporizers oven, as well as the moutpiece.

Last edited:
Vapor Trails,
Reactions: sweetherb

Lion Zion

Question for wpa users. Is removing the tiny screen recommended? Mine seems to clog really
easily which greatly restricts airflow.

Lion Zion,

Vapor Trails

I'm going to see how well I can shape out a fine screen from a Volcano to hopefully help with that, and remove the stock screen. I'll just toss fine screens in a Solo Cup of Isopropyl as they get oily. I use them for all of my Vapes except for the EVO, of course. It makes it so every particle and even the finest keif are Vaped, and never get in your mouth. I may try the EVO baskets, since they're here to try. I'll post back Tuesday or Wednesday and see if I can change the restriction by removing the stock WPA screen and experimenting a bit. If I can match the internal bowl diameter with a fine screen and shape it, it should remove most restriction from the top end, but I guess we shall see what the restriction on the path itself is before reaching the bowl.

Vapor Trails,
Reactions: Vapor_Eyes

FreddieFresh

I'm thinking of putting my MP in the oven (a real oven) at 400 degrees after I alcohol and rinse it once it gets here. The oven shouldn't harm it since it is being used to cool vapor. Hopefully that will help get rid of taste or smell.

I'd really like to know what chemical everyone is smelling from the device (what the manufacturer used and why), and would like to know exactly where it is coming from if it is taking burn off via the vaporizers oven, as well as the moutpiece.
I would advise against doing that. I'm fairly certain it will melt the mouthpiece

FreddieFresh,

thelloist

So I've had my boundless CFX for a couple months now, and it was my first vaporizer so I wasn't completely sure on how to handle it correctly. Right now it has this really awful taste whenever I use it, and it's not the chemical taste that other people are talking about, I don't really know how to describe it as I don't have a whole lot of experience with this kind of stuff but I'd bet it was like a really stale herb taste. The taste is really bad. I have a feeling this was caused from me leaving my spent herb in the chamber on multiple occasions overnight or even for as long as a couple days, which I realize now was a really stupid thing to do. Does anyone know how I could get rid of this taste? I've tried cleaning out the mouthpiece twice with isopropyl alcohol and scrubbing the chamber with a qtip isopropyl alcohol and nothing has really helped.

Also, does anyone else notice a clicking/popping sound with their boundless cfx turned on and heated up? It happens when the chamber isn't even loaded too.

thelloist,

Cl4ud3

The clicking sound is normal, it happens when the heating is pulsing on and off. As for the taste never experienced this, I've had thc oil come from the mouthpiece when I've not cleaned it in a while but thats been it.

adamster

Seeing how the CF is 109$ and CFX 179$ at the manufacturer, is the CFX that much better?
For my needs, much of the year I am out and about and so smaller is better.
I don't need the temp screen so much.

SO that points to the CF. Am I missing any points about the CFX? I sort of like that the CFX is the latest and greatest by the MFG and CF seems like poor cousin type of thing, am I wrong on that?

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
Seeing how the CF is 109$ and CFX 179$ at the manufacturer, is the CFX that much better?

SO that points to the CF. Am I missing any points about the CFX? I sort of like that the CFX is the latest and greatest by the MFG and CF seems like poor cousin type of thing, am I wrong on that?
The only real difference is the higher temps on the CFX, 430°F vs 415°F, and the CFX allows for precise temperature selection down to 1° increments.

The CF has good preset temps in my opinion, and has the advantage of a smaller size and stealth mode. I'm very happy with my CFX but I now think I would prefer the CF.

You can't go wrong either way. Vapor production and battery life should be nearly identical in both units. The CF definitely isn't a poor cousin, more like a little brother with a slightly different set of skills.

adamster

Thank, I've been doing lower temps lately, so thanks for your help. Budget wise, this will allow me to get a newer vape if something comes out that just takes our breathes away/

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I personally consider 410°F high temp and almost never go above that anyway. Usually I'm at 374° or 385°.

The Boundless tech is very efficient, and even at 410° my material is very thoroughly extracted.

beefsupreme

The only real difference is the higher temps on the CFX, 430°F vs 415°F, and the CFX allows for precise temperature selection down to 1° increments.

Two more differences off the top of my head. The CFX has bigger batteries than the CF for more time between charges, and it has rapid-charging via the included DC charger.

I KIND of wished there was an option for 430 degrees on the CF

Wont help you right now, but I believe the upcoming CFV (full convection) model will have 430 degrees.

Does anyone know how I could get rid of this taste? I've tried cleaning out the mouthpiece twice with isopropyl alcohol and scrubbing the chamber with a qtip isopropyl alcohol and nothing has really helped.

Just to confirm - are you disassembling the mouthpiece fully before ISO cleaning it? it separates in half. Usually the smelly honey is all up inside it, inside the metal filter as well. Besides that I'm stumped.

beefsupreme,
Reactions: Cl4ud3

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
Two more differences off the top of my head. The CFX has bigger batteries than the CF for more time between charges, and it has rapid-charging via the included DC charger.
They both have the same size battery, 18650. The CF has one, the CFX has two. The screen on the CFX uses a lot of power, which makes the second battery necessary. They both feature nearly identical battery life in practice.

I wasn't aware the CF lacked fast charging through DC, thanks for the info. :) :tup:

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
That's the same difference between the Crafty vs Mighty (and Milaana vs Zion) One should expect up to two times the battery life with two cells vapes (although it's closer to 1.5 to 1.8 times in practice)

With a single cell you have the benefit of USB charging (5V) while two cells units require a 8.4V to 9V charger brick (which is an extra burden compared to a USB cable to carry)

So you say the CFX screen is that much of a power hog? Are you sure the CFX doesn't just have a higher peak power output too? Does it get to temp quicker from cold or not? That would be a good indicator.

KeroZen,

RelaxedNow

That's the same difference between the Crafty vs Mighty (and Milaana vs Zion) One should expect up to two times the battery life with two cells vapes (although it's closer to 1.5 to 1.8 times in practice)

With a single cell you have the benefit of USB charging (5V) while two cells units require a 8.4V to 9V charger brick (which is an extra burden compared to a USB cable to carry)

So you say the CFX screen is that much of a power hog? Are you sure the CFX doesn't just have a higher peak power output too? Does it get to temp quicker from cold or not? That would be a good indicator.

The CFX has both USB and DC charging capabilities. I use DC at home for fast charging, and USB in my car (no need to grab a cable at all, as it's hard-wired in the car).

I can't compare battery life, as I don't have a CF.

Vapor Trails

CF - Capacity: 1300mAh
Output voltage: 3.7V
Heater Wattage: No mention on the site.

CFX - Capacity: 2500mAh
Output voltage: 7.4V.
Heater wattage: 80W of power

The heater itself on both units may both be 80W, but I'm not sure.

Top Bottom