Blending Strains

JoeKickass

----In winemaking it is common to mix wines with different flavors and end up with a "blend" which has aspects of the contributing wines but, because of the way the chemicals react, can have some flavors enhanced and others almost completely muted. A good blend can be very complex (and delicious).

----
We do that by crossing plant strains, the genetics mix inside the seed, and you get a hybrid that can have completely different flavors. But because cannabis flavors and tastes are contained on the plant leaves and not in liquid like wine, we can blend strains without reacting the flavors (too much). This results in a nearly complete combination of even the most delicate flavors of the contributing strains.

----I just happen to have some wonderfully piney and spicy Jack Herer, and something called Sour Limon which is very bright and citrusy. Grinding them together results in a blend where I can distinctly taste both the pine of the Herer and the citrus of the Limon, but they complement each other almost perfectly.

----You can usually tell a good blend isn't a single strain because it will have more flavor than is normally possible. In this case the bright lemon-lime of the Limon is dominating the sweet and tangy spectrum of flavors while the bold skunky spice of the Herer gives it body and complexity. It's like an apple pie or a raspberry chocolate, the combination of contrasting flavors actually work in harmony to create something greater than the sum of it's parts:

0rV1rCj.jpg

What blends have you tried (or want to try)?

Last edited:

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Blue Dream is a Sativa, is nice to blend with other strains. It has a good flavor and it medicates really well. Northern lights is kinda harsh, together with the Blue Dream tastes wonderful. It packs quite a punch too.

The same with Williams Wonder, it has a terrible taste, mix with Blue Dream and you have a new strain for yourself. It's similar to the strain Blue Magoo but they use a different Blue in that one. Blue Magoo is a hybrid cross between Williams Wonder and a DJ Short Blue Berry I believe, its an Indica too.

Last edited:

StheDubya

Been doing this for a very long time. I call it the mixed green salad. Started out by combining the ends of bags and grew into something a little more scientific over the years. I have had very good luck targeting specific characteristics by mixing strains. One of my favorites is Cinex + White Rhino + Shishkaberry for pain management. Great flavor too.

MinnBobber

I love to mix it up and do it many foods too, like honey nut cheerios and mini frosted wheats.

I like Super Lemon Haze and Green Crack ( which I call by it's original name--Green Cush).

Anyone try Blue Amnesia hybrid strain, Blueberry + Amnesia?
I thought it might be similar to Blue Dream which I couldn't obtain but NOT.

I now have the real thing, Blue Dream, and it is A+++ for pain.
Like CarolKing and canj00digit?, I'll get around to mixing Blue Dream but loving it straight for now!!

And a big thanks to this forum as I tucked away all the kudos for Blue Dream when I
went to CO !!!!!

CarolKing

I bought two strains that the dispensary told me were good during the day. One is a really hard hitter almost too strong for day - it's called Jack the Ripper. I have another strain its called Catelope Haze it's not strong enough so I mixed them together. The Cantelope Haze tastes really great and Jack the Ripper not so tasty. A pretty good combo they complement each other.

Last edited:

Putsy

@Putsy I know that hybrid as "sookie"

I wonder if the effects would be the same.Both ways.

Thats pretty cool i never knew there was a hybrid of it! Would love the chance to see a pic if possible! How are you liking it?
I find it very uplifting , energetic, warm, and pleasing. Puts me in great mood for social settings and provides some good tension relief in my neck ! You can really taste the terpene b-myrcene as it is the most dominant terpene in each strain i beleive.

I have Sour Diesel and a bit of GSC shake. Thanks for the recommendation. Will give it a try. :)

No prob my friend! Would love to hear your thoughts on it ! Hopefully the shake does not affect the taste to much.

Putsy

@Putsy you hit the nail on the head. It's a very warm uplifting experience. Plenty of energy and a wonderful flavor to boot. It would be real cool to try them side by side to see the comparisons.
Thats really neat how effects are so similar. Leads me to some insight and questions that will require some research first. But Yehh,very true! When im not so vaped and chewed from these GSC rosin dabs i just did :o and have a more clear and clean head i could do a comparison for you on the two

MoltenTiger

I think it really depends on how the plants are treated as they grow as to the flavour of the flower, rather than straight up plant genetics. I say that because of some white widow I've just finished vaping and its origin. Grown on opposing sides of my home island of Tasmania and both with distinguishably different food sources and treatment during growth. Both plants were clones of one plant. The similarities in flavour were there, but it was only the subtle base of the flavour, ie. a kind of basic earthy taste. The flavours and aroma on top differed immensely with one being much fruitier and sweet, and the other being a spicier savoury taste.
I wish I always had bud of this quality, I really think, like with wine and alkaloids, Tasmania should start looking in cannabinoid production so that could be the case.

IMO the beauty of salads is increasing the spectrum of cannabinoids you are exposing yourself to within a single application of use. It's a sure way to get higher and a good reason to save up kiff in grinders for as long as possible. Good times :science:

CarolKing

I agree depending how a certain strain was grown. I thought all Williams Wonder had an off taste. Some has some good flavor.

Today wanted to combine a couple of hard hitters - Kryptonite and Blackberry Kush. Happy Thanksgiving. I'm Thankful for medical cannabis or any kind of cannabis for that matter, with some exceptions......:puke::bigleaf:

Last edited:

Amargi

Doin' shit, keepin' fit, and too legit to quit.
I mixed some Orange Power (Agent Orange, inbred), Lemon Lime Nevill's Haze and Iced Grapefruit a few days ago.. it tasted like I was using my Ascent to vacuum up a bag of Skittles!

A favorite mix of mine for effect is to blend Alaskan Thunder and Sour Diesel- that shit will wind you up until your gears are about to slip, and then drops your ass into a shimmering puddle of lucidity.

...Definitely not a blend for those anxious souls amongst us.

CarolKing

I like blending strains together. The Strawberry Cough is harsh so I like to mix that with other strains. I had a nice combination of Strawberry Cough, Blueberry Indica and Kosher Kush. I could really taste the berry flavor and not harsh a bit.

It really carried a punch too, is only good for evening. During the day you would want to take a nap after.

Top Bottom