• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Black goopy shit after dabbing

Isthisnametaken

My dispo must've just changed extraction methods because after taking a dab there is some gross black gunk left behind on the nail. The wax is clearish-amber like it always is. I thought the dabs were too hot so I let the nail cool off longer but now the leftover residue is just more of a liquid than a gunk. It always used to just burn clear and leave nothing really behind.

Any idea what's going on here?

Isthisnametaken,

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Could be any number of things... Without pics, I'd guess nothing to be concerned of.

Are you using a timer or a temp gun on your nail when you torch? It will really help you dial in the ideal temps.

Sounds like you dropped the dab after the nail had cooled too much. Likely got a tasty dab, melted your trate, but it did not vape entirely and the concentrate resolidified into the gunk you describe.

It is also common for dabs to leave some residue on the nail, but that does not seem to be what you describe. This is usually from plant material, waxes, etc.

FlyingLow,

Baron23

My dispo must've just changed extraction methods because after taking a dab there is some gross black gunk left behind on the nail. The wax is clearish-amber like it always is. I thought the dabs were too hot so I let the nail cool off longer but now the leftover residue is just more of a liquid than a gunk. It always used to just burn clear and leave nothing really behind.

Any idea what's going on here?
YOu didn't happen to buy pressed rosin, by any chance? Its much dirtier in general due to waxes and plant fats.

Baron23,

Isthisnametaken

Could be any number of things... Without pics, I'd guess nothing to be concerned of.

Are you using a timer or a temp gun on your nail when you torch? It will really help you dial in the ideal temps.

Sounds like you dropped the dab after the nail had cooled too much. Likely got a tasty dab, melted your trate, but it did not vape entirely and the concentrate resolidified into the gunk you describe.

It is also common for dabs to leave some residue on the nail, but that does not seem to be what you describe. This is usually from plant material, waxes, etc.

Yea it was a lower temp and tastier but it kind of bubbles when it's burning regardless of the temperature, it's goopy if it's a hot dab and more liquid if it's a cooler one. i've never seen this before and it has never left this stuff behind before regardless of temp. I was reading up and read that ethanol extraction if not purged all the way can leave this but like you said plant matter does the same thing.

YOu didn't happen to buy pressed rosin, by any chance? Its much dirtier in general due to waxes and plant fats.

Nah, it's shatter. Clear amber-ish color. I'll take a pic and put it here.

Thanks for taking the time guys, I appreciate it.

Isthisnametaken,
Reactions: Baron23

Isthisnametaken

RhXBnhY

https://ibb.co/RhXBnhY
This is probably a bad pic. I realize the nail isn't clean and has black shit all over it, but the big lump of it is all liquid. Looks the same for hot dabs just more goopy. If it's really too hot the smoke turns greyish black. I let that just burn away then clean it.

https://ibb.co/rdPmHz9

https://ibb.co/CwcjVK6

Two different strains. I also don't have a temp gun or an e nail. I've honestly been taking too hot dabs and I'm concerned about getting what they call "career cancer." A dude I went to high school with became a fire fighter. Eleven years of service and he gets diagnosed with throat cancer. Inhaling too much hot smokey air. 33 years old, so fucking heart wrenching, and it just made me freak out a bit.

TMI maybe.

Isthisnametaken,

CalyxSmokr

I think you are fine. That does look dark and thick but there are only so many variables here. Your heat won't cause or stop that result. If anything it is subpar wax but I would go more by taste and effect than what is left over. FWIW I never have shatter just disappear after heating. You always have some residue that needs to be wiped out.
I think a temp gun will help but just work on taking dabs not so hot. Try different wax but that looks good to me
Ethanol not purged will just boil off. I don't think it will cause more black deposits. That will be plant matter and waxes.

CalyxSmokr,
Top Bottom