black ash / white ash

Choism

I've heard from many folks, that black ash means it has not been properly flushed or was not organically grown. And white ash means it was organically grown/ properly flushed.

Since vaporizing doesn't produce ash, how can we tell if the herb has been properly flushed or organically grown without chems? I've heard someone say, the vapor is not as thick...

stoner thought.....blackberry kush.:peace:

Choism,

hereatlast

Taste is the best indicator, you can definitely taste ferts etc. if not flushed properly or at all.

Vapor thickness is more a function of potency IME, a 'frostier' specimen gives me thicker vapor, grassier with less crystals gives less.

hereatlast,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
hereatlast said:
Vapor thickness is more a function of potency IME, a 'frostier' specimen gives me thicker vapor, grassier with less crystals gives less.

While strain or quality might affect vapor thickness somewhat, I'm pretty sure that the biggest factor in thick clouds is the vaping temperature: hotter equals thicker.

As for this black ash/white ash thing, there seem to be as many who think it's bunk as there are who think it's genuine. I smoked this stuff for over 40 years and I can tell you the only white ash I ever saw was from the papers I used, and I only ever got black ash from incompletely burnt material. I grew my own for a while, therefore I know that there weren't any chemicals used, yet the ash I got was always grey.

pakalolo,

Pappy

shmaporist
All I can tell you is this... I HATE ash, black or white. All it does is foul the environment and foul your lungs. I've been a pothead for over 50 years. Picking the right strain depends on being a connoisseur.

Pappy,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Pappy, I'm with you all the way on hating ash, but it occurs to me that we aren't really dealing with Choism's original question. If I were really concerned about this (which I am not) then I would test each batch by simply burning a small sample. I don't mean smoke it, I mean burn just enough to see what color ash forms.

Choism, what do you do with your stash if the ash turns out black? (I'll bet serious money that it turns out grey, by the way.)

pakalolo,

Pappy

shmaporist
pakalolo said:
Pappy, I'm with you all the way on hating ash, but it occurs to me that we aren't really dealing with Choism's original question. If I were really concerned about this (which I am not) then I would test each batch by simply burning a small sample. I don't mean smoke it, I mean burn just enough to see what color ash forms.

Choism, what do you do with your stash if the ash turns out black? (I'll bet serious money that it turns out grey, by the way.)
And I'm with you. :) Good suggestion! Cannabis is a lot like man's best friend. Even if you're a dog lover not every dog is for you! Every time I score I learn something new. And with medical strains actually conforming to their namesakes (on some occasions) there's a whole new vocabulary to master as well. Experience dictates which strains are appealing and which I avoid. To stay on the safe side I usually stick with pure OGs.

Pappy,

Choism

pakalolo, Nothing, I end up vaping it. The clerk at the dispensary suggested I load a bowl and do the ash test. I've also hear that this was bunk too, I guess you become more critical of weed out here in socal, especially if you are a patient. These mj clubs are no joke, too many strains!

btw, the orange hairs don't do anything for me. lol.

Happy vapings, Cheers!

Choism,

darkrom

Great Scott!
pakalolo said:

I'm all for converting EVERYONE I know to vapes and away from combustion, but if I was going to burn a small amount (for science) I'd at least consume the smoke. I know it's unhealthy, but I figure it's an insignificant amount compared to say even 1 bowl.

darkrom,
Top Bottom