Bill Maher....

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
(Back to back posts being that I was a bit too late to edit the above)

I too was in the Air Force in the late 60's/early 70's and I say..........fuck us for getting involved there in the first place.

Fonda wasn't anti-American. She was anti-war. She was young, idealistic and impulsive. She fucked up. She made a HUGE mistake. Interesting read here on it that gives you some insight into how this photo all came about... http://www.janefonda.com/the-truth-about-my-trip-to-hanoi/

She's been trying to live this down for almost 50 years now. I can tell you this. I have made huge mistakes when I was young as well and I can only imagine what it would have been like if my life was out in the open for EVERYONE to see and for everyone to judge and label me for those mistakes and bad decisions for the rest of my life.
Bravo^^^ !!!

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
I'm wondering if Jane Fonda critics have also not reconciled with the then enemy Viet Cong N.V. sympathizers and N. Viet soldiers still living... or Japan post WWII... etc. Should we never forget but never forgive, or move on with a slant eye & dark heart for all those in the apocalyptic past? Just wondering...

Last edited:

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
The Real Time show right after the election in November was really a downer too. IMO this was right behind that one. You can't sugar coat reality. It is what it is.

I liked the part where he said he can manage his high. Referring that he had used some weed right before the show.

I have no hate towards Jane Fonda and I liked what she had to say on the show last night. She isn't one of my fav actors.

Last edited:

damm

Last night was the most depressing bill mahar show I've ever seen,
and I've been watching since the politically incorrect days.

:nod: I still enjoyed it.

:goat:

I've been watching him as well since politically incorrect. I just wish I knew the link between him and neoliberialism/conservatism. His Muslim / Islam hate is sadly always wrong.

I hope in America we can move past stereo-types and stop having our 'comedians' or political commentators reinforce said stereo-types.

I stopped watching after he made the reference to how Islam is incompatible with America...

Last night With John Oliver kinda of finished off my HBO subscription ... I'll stick to the free youtube when I can find it.

Don't forget you can still see these same ill-perceived perceptions in Vice News and other Vice shows....

Ref: http://averyheavyagenda.blogspot.com/

CarolKing

I don't agree with everything that Maher says. Like I didn't agree with everything that George Carlin would say. Political humor can be dicey at times not everyone will agree. I don't agree with Maher stance on Muslims. He makes some good arguments about a lot of other things. I like political debate but not when folks get angry. Sometimes Real Time will get pretty intense.

I really enjoy the show when Rob Reiner is on and I like David Axlerod, sometimes the guest even more than the host. He's able to get those in political office on the show, democrats and republicans.

Last edited:

Silat

When the Facts Change, I Change My Mind.
I don't agree with everything that Maher says. Like I didn't agree with everything that George Carlin would say. Political humor can be dicey at times not everyone will agree. I don't agree with Maher stance on Muslims. He makes some good arguments about a lot of other things. I like political debate but not when folks get angry. Sometimes Real Time will get pretty intense.

I really enjoy the show when Rob Reiner is on and I like David Axlerod. Sometimes the guest even more than the host. He's able to get those in political office on, democrats and republicans.

I enjoy when Dan Savage is on to eviscerate the reich. ;)

damm

I really enjoy the show when Rob Reiner is on and I like David Axlerod, sometimes the guest even more than the host. He's able to get those in political office on the show, democrats and republicans.

With politically incorrect he would harp on be more cynical which worked out. But I feel like he's trying to shovel the sheep with what he wants them to think now. Unfortunate he used to be a lot harder hitting too; I rather miss that.

CarolKing

Looking forward to tonight's Bill Maher. Two of my favorite people are going to be on the show Elizabeth Warren and Rob Reiner. I say "Meathead" for president in 2020. It should be a good show.

Baron23

I admire Maher for his commitment to free speech and his unequivocal condemnation of self-appointed censors of free speech on college campuses. I saw an episode with he and Dennis Miller. Two ends of the political spectrum.

The one thing that they both are completely in agreement with is the deplorable condition of free and open exchange and civil debate of ideas on college campuses in these political correct days.

Cheers

CarolKing

A little dose of political humor is maybe what we all need. The N. Korean rhetoric on twitter from Mr. T needs to stop. We're talking nuclear threat here. Hopefully he doesn't really have access to the nuclear codes. Would they be that stupid to actually allow him to have them?:science:

Last edited:
CarolKing,
  • Love
Reactions: Planck

HellsWindStaff

Dharma Initiate
North Korea has done these tests for years IIRC just getting fear press because of Trump. They aren't a serious threat, IMO all bark no bite.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_North_Korean_missile_tests

I like how Bill is for free speech, was nice to see him in support of Milo and Anne Coulter of simply being able to speak. I also like his commentary on religion despite me not agreeing with all of it.

Butttt, my god Bill Maher is so high on his own ego and self worth it annoys me.

I saw this comment elsewhere but this is such an astute summary of Bill, paraphrasing:

"
Bill Maher has such a need to tout intellectual superiority over everyone that he had to jump the party ship and hate on Islam. Then when he talks to right wingers he can tout how all religion is bad and how his opinion is right, and when he talks to left wingers he can tell them Islam is not worth defending and talk about how his opinion is right"

He's alright, I don't hate him, just do find him to be incredibly pompous and his need to be intellectually superior to all humors me.

May actually check this episode out. I am curious to Rob Reiners take on Berkley the birthplace and burial ground of free speech, knowing Bill dislikes them silencing other people may actually be decent.

Amoreena

Grown up Flower Child
... Hopefully he doesn't really have access to the nuclear codes. Would they be that stupid to actually allow him to have them?:science:
I believe he really does have access. It's part of the office. :|

Maher does come across as arrogant, but it's just part of who he is. Many performers, especially program hosts, have that attitude.

Amoreena,

herbivore21

I do have to agree with you there, mate.
And I have to agree with both of you guys. For me, as somebody who is supposed to be an 'intellectual', this guy frustrates the hell out of me.

Maher always manages to be sanctimonious in an 'I'm right, you're wrong' kind of way, but he regularly speaks light years beyond his knowledge and expertise (btw if anyone knows of any topics where this guy is a credible source of knowledge and evidence, I'm all ears!). This would be less of a problem if he didn't spend so much time shouting down people who actually know better than him on the given topic. Also Maher's tendencies toward hasty generalizations know no bounds, he shows little capacity for understanding or communicating nuance.

damm

And I have to agree with both of you guys. For me, as somebody who is supposed to be an 'intellectual', this guy frustrates the hell out of me.

Maher always manages to be sanctimonious in an 'I'm right, you're wrong' kind of way, but he regularly speaks light years beyond his knowledge and expertise (btw if anyone knows of any topics where this guy is a credible source of knowledge and evidence, I'm all ears!). This would be less of a problem if he didn't spend so much time shouting down people who actually know better than him on the given topic. Also Maher's tendencies toward hasty generalizations know no bounds, he shows little capacity for understanding or communicating nuance.

The way you speak about Bill Maher; it reminds me of Donald Trump to be honest. I don't mind because I think we're actually doing him a favor.

He's had his own guests take him to task on the show only to have him shut them up in some random skit that must be played at this moment. If you watch his show you are reminded how you should have voted for Hillary; I don't know a better way to get your guests than to call them out in the beginning of the skit.

I think the worst part about Bill Maher is he normalized Roger Stone for me; he made him seem pretty reasonable guy... I don't like feeling this way.

Late Edit:

Often it's the guests that gets me enthusiastic about Maher's show. Sometime some excellent quests that you don't get a chance to hear from in the media. Some real in depth conversations explaining complicated stuff pertaining to current events or history.

Very true; but that's actually pretty true of any decent Comedy News Show (if that's a word). The Guests make the show; as they make the person hosting the show look much better (or worse) .

He's a comedian and they get away with what other folks can't get away with, asking and talking about provocative questions. That's how he gets people to watch his show. I don't agree with everything that Mahers says it's suppose to be entertainment.

You should never agree with everything a person says.

Tara Setmeyer was the token republican on the show and I really like her normally but the whole show was a big argument. Normally Rob Reiner has some intelligent stuff to say he didn't say much I didn't think.

Last time I saw Rob Reiner and Bill Maher they were dogging on Bernie Sanders; joking about how they know he's a con man. I can't imagine he can look much better to me.

I'm tired of the whole we are so sad because Hillary lost BS and I heard a lot of that from Rob Reiner. Elizabeth Warren was trying to sell her book and I didn't hear anything from her different than the last time.

Maher has that kind of comedy either you like him or you don't.

That's the hardest part; and what really made me a fan of The Jimmy Dore Show. It was part because I got sick of hearing (everywhere) how it's my(not a hillary voter) fault that we have Donald J. Trump as president.

Simply untrue; Hillary won the popular count. Republicans have been winning the house and senate with record low turnouts; and yet we never hear about how the Democrats also Gerrymander to keep some of their oldest people around.

We really need to talk about Interstate Cross-Check really... if we want to talk about how Hillary lost

Upwards of 3 million voters purged from the rolls

Last edited:
damm,
Reactions: grokit

CarolKing

Often it's the guests that gets me enthusiastic about Maher's show. Sometimes some excellent quests that you don't get a chance to hear from in the media. Some real in depth conversations explaining complicated stuff pertaining to current events or history.

He's a comedian and they get away with what other folks can't get away with, asking and talking about provocative questions. That's how he gets people to watch his show. I don't agree with everything that Mahers says it's suppose to be entertainment.

Tara Setmeyer was the token republican on the show and I really like her normally but the whole show was a big argument. Normally Rob Reiner has some intelligent stuff to say he didn't say much I didn't think.

I'm tired of the whole we are so sad because Hillary lost BS and I heard a lot of that from Rob Reiner. Elizabeth Warren was trying to sell her book and I didn't hear anything from her different than the last time.

Maher has that kind of comedy either you like him or you don't.

Last edited:

damm

I really like the Vice series and news he seems to be the producer of?

Those guys always seem to be in the thick of shit that isn't typically discussed.

Anyone else watching Vice?

I don't have a TV; so most of what I watch is either YouTube or Streaming. So Viceland or Vice is always on my lineup. I just have to remind myself of how they are slanted and sometimes will still give us government lies.

Redacted Tonight (youtube) talked about this series awhile back A Very Heavy Agenda pretty good ... it's about the Neo (they change their names so .. )

I borrow a Comcast Login to enjoy Viceland or HBO Go to get Vice... the fact I pay that bill doesn't mean it's mine lol

Edit: Used markdown not Forum Markup sorry.

Last edited:
Top Bottom