Bill Maher....

woolspinner

My sister played the video. I loved it. I hope he doesn't lose his card for it, but I imagine he decided it was a calculated risk worth taking to make a bold point.

Deadly Marijuana Smoke? I am more concerned about the fumes I inhale when I drive past a paper mill! Jeez. That makes two dumbass analysis I have read today. The other was a jackass saying the American people's choice for president should get to choose the next SCJ...I am sorry, but what part of "won two consecutive national elections" makes Obama anything BUT America's choice.

I am so glad I got over my ridiculous D.A.R.E. induced fear of cannabis. Hard to believe people are still drinking that kool-aid.

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
Bill Maher is spot on. Too many people are just assuming that the change is going to happen automatically.

At the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorists, I think they (the antis-) are just biding their time. When Sativex hits your local pharmacy, I expect to see a whole lot of push back on the legalization issue.

woolspinner

Bill Maher is spot on. Too many people are just assuming that the change is going to happen automatically.

At the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorists, I think they (the antis-) are just biding their time. When Sativex hits your local pharmacy, I expect to see a whole lot of push back on the legalization issue.

Someone on massroots posted an image from the patent office for a patent on cannabinoids that is already out there, so I do not think you are too far off the mark.

woolspinner,
Reactions: Magic9

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Yes, Bill Maher smoked weed on ‘Real Time;’ No, he wasn’t fined $1.7 million

• By Ricardo Baca, The Cannabist Staff

On the Feb. 12, 2016 episode of HBO’s “Real Time with Bill Maher,” host/comedian Maher lit a joint loaded with cannabis and smoked it with some of his guests, including rapper/pundit Killer Mike.

“I use medical marijuana because my third eye has glaucoma,” Maher said at the 5:44 mark in the above video. “And you know, it’s acting up right now. Maybe I should … (Maher lights a joint from his pocket with a lighter) … maybe I should treat it. This is private property, and I do have a card, so … (inhale, exhale, applause from the studio audience) … In conclusion, please remember … (coughing fit, laughter) … please remember that legalizing pot is a long way from a done deal. I know you’re tired, I am too, of making the same old, obvious pot arguments — like how pot is less dangerous than other legal adult activities. But somehow you can drink alcohol, you can smoke cigarettes.”

Was the joint rolled with real marijuana? Yes it was, Maher confirmed on Twitter.

The moment seemed to surprise everyone, the show’s guests included, and it was infinitely reminiscent (as Maher mentioned in the above tweet) of when Zach Galifianakis was on the show in November of 2010 and appeared to smoke a joint on Maher’s set.

Later on, Maher told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer that it wasn’t a real joint.

“Zach’s crazy, but he’s not that crazy,” Maher told Blitzer those years ago.

So now that Maher has done the deed more than five years after Galifianakis pretended to, does that make Maher cray cray — or are we at this point in the normalization cycle that Maher’s move simply isn’t that big of a deal?

Either way, the rumor started circulating around the Internet earlier this week that Maher was facing $1.7 million in fines from the Federal Communications Commission for the weed stunt.

Even though I’ve seen the Satira Tribune’s story shared by a number of marijuana industry insiders on their social media, let’s add Maher’s $1.7 million fine to our ever-growing category of Fake News. (Even Snopes agrees.)

And how about we start checking those news sources’ credentials before sharing off-the-wall news as fact? That’s something I’m sure Maher could get behind.

Bill Maher has a rerun on tonight. I was worried and looked online, he has a live concert type show tonight in Atlanta. . So he's not kicked off HBO that I know of. He probably mentioned it, usually he does.

Last edited:

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
It cannot be proved that he and his guests actually imbibed in the good herb on the set, although it behooves Maher a great deal to stick to his guns and maintain that it was (it probably was, IMO). And if it was in fact only a pretense, there was nothing more harmful in that to minors watching than anything else ever said or done on the program. The network fine angle could've been merely a bogus pretentious posturing of a bogus moral high ground as well as a cover-your-ass maneuver to thwart federal inquiry. I'll bet everyone was in on the gag, network included, with a wink and a nod. 1.7M cost of doing business... ratings and viewership reaped rewards X 1000! What a great effective stunt this was to make a mockery of the establishment!

Last edited:

CarolKing

Our friend Cory Booker is going to be on Bill's show tonight. Also Jennifer Grandholm, I like her too. It should be pretty funny with all the political stuff the republicans have been dealing with. The pissing match between Trump and Cruz pertaining to their wives.:lol:

I'm going to get the Enano ready.

lwien

Our friend Cory Booker is going to be on Bill's show tonight. Also Jennifer Grandholm, I like her too. It should be pretty funny with all the political stuff the republicans have been dealing with. The pissing match between Trump and Cruz pertaining to their wives.:lol:

I'm going to get the Enano ready.

One can only wonder what kind of field day Jon Stewart would have had with this. I bet he's seeing all this shit going down and all he can think is.........."FUCK..........FUCK...........FUCK !!!! :bang: ."

CarolKing

HOW POT HELPS MAHER OF ‘REAL TIME’ HIT HIGH NOTES
SOURCE: THE COLUMBIAN / ASSOCIATED PRESS
PUBLISHED: APRIL 22ND 2016
0 0 304 0

NEW YORK — While a lung-full of marijuana can reduce some potheads to a puddle of silliness and sloth — you know who you are — the fact remains: Pot can serve a host of creative uses.

Case in point: TV host Bill Maher.

Since premiering 13 years ago with “Real Time,” which HBO airs live on Fridays at 7 p.m., Maher has provided an essential forum for smart discussion about politics and culture, with his opening monologue often the sharpest, best-crafted topical humor on television.

Even better is his final segment, which ramps up from a litany of so-called “New Rules” to a jestful-yet-meaty meditation on such subjects as the election follies, political correctness, gun control and, yes, legalizing marijuana.

Maher’s vocal support for pot legalization exemplifies his largely libertarian stance. Meanwhile, there’s a practical consideration: Grass helps him get his writing right.

So what better occasion than now to salute Maher’s decades of comic insight while also giving credit to his cannabis muse! After all, Wednesday was April 20, better known among pot proselytizers as 4-20, which they observe as a special day to honor their favorite herb and to advocate for boosted legal access to it.

“I am hardly the only person in this world who finds pot to be a creative aid,” Maher notes during a recent phone conversation. “But if I’m staring at the blank computer screen sober, I’m thinking, ‘Uh, I don’t want to start this, it’s an ASSIGNMENT!’ Then, as soon as I’m high, which takes about three seconds, it’s, ‘Oh, this is fun! This isn’t an assignment. It’s a GAME.’ “

He hastens to add, “People think I probably smoke a lot more than I do.”

No wonder. It’s a part of his professional persona.

He has wisecracked that the conservative magazine The National Review coming out against Donald Trump “is like High Times coming out against me.”

This is a guy who jokes that he might face consequences from a lifetime of pot smoking, “but fortunately, I can treat them with medical marijuana.”

And a year ago Maher drolly paid homage to the 4-20 holiday by reciting an original nursery rhyme, ” ‘Twas the Night Before 4-20,” which included lines such as, “We lit up a joint and ate a pot brownie/ And soon were as high as a young Robert Downey.”

But despite his saucy endorsements, “I’ve always been a very moderate user. I’m a two or three times a week smoker, a lightweight. My priority is work — the writing process — and that’s what I save it for.”

At least, he did until one show last February. In his closing segment, he framed the evident trend toward legalizing pot as something its proponents shouldn’t take for granted.

HellsWindStaff

Dharma Initiate
Anyone see him vs Julian Assange?

I should preface this by saying, I dislike how much influence Julian Assange can have on the election by strategically releasing damning information on the Democrats. But, we are entitled to the truth, no? He wouldn't be influencing anything, had all this information been public knowledge already.......the controversy shouldn't be that he released information about Democrats only (something I've seen quite a bit, how "unfair" it is LOL ) but the content of that information. Standard argument from the left, argue the ethicality of him releasing the info rather than address the content painting them in a bad light.

I found it ironic how Bill Maher tried to lump Julian Assange into "working with the enemy" by only releasing Democratic shenanigans. Ironic because, he's saying it's not fair that Julian is only releasing Clinton stuff, "Where are Donald Trump's tax returns??!" yet, his dismissal of the content of the emails as well as his harping how Julian needs to dig into Trump show he is anything but the purveyor of equality he's trying to portray.

I think Bill Maher lied about not donating 1 million to Clinton affliate recently. I found it striking how quick Bill was to deflect to his old 2012 donation.........was Barack Obama the "Clinton Affliate" Julian was mentioning? I doubt it because as Bill said, that info is public knowledge. Was it one of the other two William Maher's living in Los Angeles who donated? I find that unlikely that they'd have 1 million extra dollars hanging around...

Regardless found it a pretty entertaining interview and excited to see what else JA has in store for us.

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
Ironic because, he's saying it's not fair that Julian is only releasing Clinton stuff, "Where are Donald Trump's tax returns??!"
I do recall that when Bill pressed Assange on digging into Trump's taxes, Assange did claim to be working on that... FWIW.

Snappo,
Reactions: grokit

KimDracula

Anyone see him vs Julian Assange?

I should preface this by saying, I dislike how much influence Julian Assange can have on the election by strategically releasing damning information on the Democrats. But, we are entitled to the truth, no? He wouldn't be influencing anything, had all this information been public knowledge already.......the controversy shouldn't be that he released information about Democrats only (something I've seen quite a bit, how "unfair" it is LOL ) but the content of that information. Standard argument from the left, argue the ethicality of him releasing the info rather than address the content painting them in a bad light.

I found it ironic how Bill Maher tried to lump Julian Assange into "working with the enemy" by only releasing Democratic shenanigans. Ironic because, he's saying it's not fair that Julian is only releasing Clinton stuff, "Where are Donald Trump's tax returns??!" yet, his dismissal of the content of the emails as well as his harping how Julian needs to dig into Trump show he is anything but the purveyor of equality he's trying to portray.

I think Bill Maher lied about not donating 1 million to Clinton affliate recently. I found it striking how quick Bill was to deflect to his old 2012 donation.........was Barack Obama the "Clinton Affliate" Julian was mentioning? I doubt it because as Bill said, that info is public knowledge. Was it one of the other two William Maher's living in Los Angeles who donated? I find that unlikely that they'd have 1 million extra dollars hanging around...

Regardless found it a pretty entertaining interview and excited to see what else JA has in store for us.

Finding out that Democratic operatives were scheming to make sure that the real Democrat got the nomination is neither surprising nor all that troubling to me. It should be looked at and an attempt should be made to curtail and deter this kind intra-party shenanigans but that's about as far as it goes. I tend to think it's good for people like Assange to be around but I'm not fond of anything he does that may give Trump any edge.

CarolKing

Bill Mayer is back on HBO tonight! I need some good political humor. It's also Maher's birthday. I'm not a Jane Fonda fan. I see she's on the show.

I've lost a few nights sleep lately. Folks are on edge and worried. We all need some laughs hopefully putting some things in perspective.

Last edited:

lwien

We all need some laughs hopefully putting some things in perspective.

The Inaugural Ball is a good place to start. ;)

There's many different versions of jane fonda. I like some of them :tup:

WDuWJeI.jpg

lwien

(Back to back posts being that I was a bit too late to edit the above)

I flew in the USAF during the early 70's. I had wing commanders, and knew others, who were POWs in N Vietnam.

FUCK Jane Fonda.

Hope I was clear and unambiguous.

I too was in the Air Force in the late 60's/early 70's and I say..........fuck us for getting involved there in the first place.

Fonda wasn't anti-American. She was anti-war. She was young, idealistic and impulsive. She fucked up. She made a HUGE mistake. Interesting read here on it that gives you some insight into how this photo all came about... http://www.janefonda.com/the-truth-about-my-trip-to-hanoi/

She's been trying to live this down for almost 50 years now. I can tell you this. I have made huge mistakes when I was young as well and I can only imagine what it would have been like if my life was out in the open for EVERYONE to see and for everyone to judge and label me for those mistakes and bad decisions for the rest of my life.

Top Bottom