1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

BHO purge without vacuum?

Discussion in 'Concentrates' started by tepictoton, Jun 22, 2012.

1. johnnyblaze805

johnnyblaze805 Certified Dankologist

I'm doin a vac less run soon.. Purging on a griddle.. I'm gonna do a water bath at 100 degrees till activity stops transfer and spread on pp and purge on my griddle at 110 degrees for as long a it takes.. Any tips? It's my 1st run!!! Got 6 ozs to play with

2. Unconnected

Unconnected Well-Known Member

I had an idea to put bho into a shallow pyrex dish, then, when time to vac, put it inside one of those vacuum space bags, over the top of the dish you need some kind of a mesh cage giving the dish space to expand and breath out so the vac bag doesnt press down on it. I ahve never tried this but it is the idea i have to do a purge with a home vacuum. Maybe it wont work, better than nothing. After its in the space bag you just vacuum it out till it stops bubbling.

3. dasbudda

dasbudda New Member

Couple thoughts..

1. The temperature stability of any heating bath can be radically increased through the use of a cheap PID controller with a thermocouple placed in your bath. This can easily give you accurate temperature control over virtually any electric heat source. For more info google " diy sous vide".
    2. Use mineral oil for your bath. Years ago I worked for a chocolate company making mochas. The choclate had to be kept hot on a double boiler to prevent scorching but condesation kills chocolate. This was our solution. Mineral oil is oderless, flavorless, food safe, and doesn't evaporate at these working temps.

Hope this is helpfu!-)

4. bdmonkeyj3w

bdmonkeyj3w Active Member

From start to finish i can have perfect amber shatter in 30 minutes or less... granted i havent been able to scale up this method, but will be testing that soon. Not a noob, ive graduated from vac purge to winterizing, etc...

now on to my latest lazy ass method:

Largest flat pyrex dish
    1 oz subpar nug in glass tube
    1 can of newport(probably not necessary to be newport but its what i got)
    1 ryobi heat gun

Heat pan to 175-200 (accidentally at 220 once, just cause waxing)
    Blast outside (away from anything electric, dont be an idiot) straight in to the pre heated pan
    keep the tube moving just fast enough that the time you come back around the first layer has pretty much boiled off
    soon as blast is done there will be a few large bubbles heat gun those and pop the pan back in the oven that you turned off but is still warm
    check it in 10 minutes, heat gun bubbles again, should be butane free...
    2-3gs shatter in 30.
    unpack tube dry out material and repeat 2 - 3 times with same oz.
    total yield after 3 runs around 8-9 gs

Ill provide pics and the mighty flame test vid(lol) if you want... anyways, you can make this shit as complicated as you want, but unless youre at least winterizing, inhaling minute amounts of butane from underpurged aint the worst of the issues. use nug, use decent tane, be safe. If you want to do a quick winterization, blast straight into some spirytus vodka (193 proof) and freeze it after the butanes been ejected by the alc. then filter, evap and enjoy!

ataxian likes this.
  5. ataxian

ataxian California

Do you winterize with alcohol before the BHO?

I'm using only cola nugs.

6. bdmonkeyj3w

Eh... not sure what youre asking... If you winterize before blasting youre just doing an eth/iso wash. Absolute best results i got with winterizing was with that spirytus vodka, but i havent gotten around to purchasing some organic 200 proof online yet. id blast a few cans into a large pyrex measuring cup with a couple oz of alc. let the butane boil off/keep stirring until all bubbling stops. let it set and get miso soup looking. add a lil more alc before you put in freezer just to ease the filtering process. freeze over night as low as fridge can go, and filter all solids through brown coffee filter. place in pyrex heated to 175 and let it evap. it may go cloudy for a sec with the alc is gone and some residual moisture is left but a quick flash with the heat gun should clear it up. if you want shatter, DO NOT agitate the oil during purge/evap in either method ive laid out. hope that answers what youre asking atax. I wish i could only use cola nugs, all i got is subprime. Even after three runs of un packing, drying, repacking and re blasting im still pulling off shatter.

7. ataxian

ataxian California

I use top colas because I'm lazy!
    All the sugar leaf and trim I throw away!

I make SHATTER because it's so easy!

8. bdmonkeyj3w

Do you prefer not-shatter? i get straight up wax if after winterizing the heat goes above 175 or even 150 for too long... and then itll turn to crumble if left in the open to breath for a couple days.

I spent alot of time the last couple months with waxes and crumbles and honey combs, only recently getting lazy and not wanting to put the effort to winterizing and what not. after sampling this latest batch of lazy shatter im convinced there is something lost in the winterization... whether its synergy from terpenes that get boiled off with the alc or stuff is precipitating in the solution that has psychoactive properties and being filtered. I dont have any winterized shatter to compare side by side with atm but it seems like im getting a much gnarlier buzz from the shatter.

215z and ataxian like this.
  9. ataxian

ataxian California

I'm rookie really.
    I make shatter because it's easier.
    Crumbled I love as well.
    Never learned how to make it?
    BHO + HOT PLATE + VACUUM = done

Easy!

10. bdmonkeyj3w

yeah, i just never liked the vacuum cause i found it to be a waste of time. Id vac and heat for hours on end and still have issues with residual... hence graduating to winterization, still takes time but less work/effort in to purging. Now im back to just using decent tane and letting the preheated pyrex pan boil it off as fast as it came out of the tube with the heat gun/oven finish in ten minutes or less. Time has become a crucial factor lately and having a couple weeks worth of shatter in less than an hour is really doing it for me.

11. ataxian

ataxian California

I have a very nice vacuum set up.
    I will winterize and purge my next batch.

12. bdmonkeyj3w

You have a great vac setup... ive never tried purging the alc solutions post winterization... just oven and sit. interested to hear what comes of that, more so about your time in the chamber for the alc. Ive been keepin my eyes open for a rotovap for the alc solution and then running a condenser off that to reclaim the alc... hard to come by greater than 151 in ca.

13. Bouldorado

Bouldorado Well-Known Member

Just curious, what butane were you using before, and what are you using now?

I recently bought some Capital n-butane and honestly can't tell if it's worth the premium ($2-3/can) over normal canned butane. It also didn't do especially well in a lab test for residual oils:

http://www.tokecity.com/forums/show...-Mystery-Oil&p=1338141&viewfull=1#post1338141

http://skunkpharmresearch.com/bho-mystery-oil/

ataxian likes this.
  14. ataxian

ataxian California

15. bdmonkeyj3w

Used vector, 5x & 7x(power), couple other off brands, newport, puretane and back to newport. Newport seems to be the easiest to purge but ive only used puretane with winterizing but id assume it would purge well like newport.

16. honeyb101

honeyb101 New Member

I have agood question? Would you loose yield if it takes to long for the bho to evaporate example using a pyrex bowl instead of a dish? Also I water purge after my extraction... should I purge while extracting would you loose yield if not my

ataxian likes this.
  17. honeyb101

honeyb101 New Member

[QUOTE="ataxian, poon strain until no more bubbles works just as good.[/QUOTE]

I have agood question? Would you loose yield if it takes to long for the bho to evaporate example using a pyrex bowl instead of a dish? Also I water purge after my extraction... should I purge while extracting would you loose yield

Eh what do u think?

18. ataxian

ataxian California

You did not ask me?

I vacuum purge and the vacuum chamber sits and a 110-115f hot plate while purging.
    [​IMG]

I taste the difference!
    Colas from Dutch Crunch (Dutch Treat x Jack Herer)
    [​IMG]
    I don't use trim!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
    smokum likes this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors