1. If the Herbalizer was a fortune cookie what would it say? Tell us and win it!
  2. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

Tek BHO: BEST way to purge without vacuum?

Discussion in 'Concentrates' started by vapor33, Feb 8, 2014.

1. vapor33

vapor33 Active Member

I must have watched 15 videos and read a bunch of threads and there is always negativity in every video and in every thread. There is always someone who says that this is the wrong way to do it and you should be doing it like this.

Does anyone know of the best way to really do it without a vacuum? I figured someone on this forum has a great method?
  2. tepictoton

tepictoton Well-Known Member

Guess it has been mentioned before, but spraying directly into alcohol gets rid of the butane. Then it is only a matter of evaping the alcohol using the biggest surface area possible. The material has to be spread out as thin as possible to facilitate easy evaping of the alcohol.

Be safe...
  3. z9

z9 Well-Known Member

This ^^^

Spray/pour the butane into everclear or iso, only use the latter if you can't get your hands on high proof grain alcohol. The butane will evaporate long before the alcohol does.
    lazylathe, vapor33 and smokum like this.
  4. Snake Plissken

Snake Plissken Transcendentalist

I don't know about 'best', but my last run was totally clear/amber shatter w/o a vac.

I did a typical butane extraction into mason jars w/ a qp of trim. When the butane was mostly evaporated, but not thick, I slowly added 1/2 bottle of everclear (1bottle/half pound) to the mason jars. You should see a pretty dramatic interaction (bubbling). Let sit for about 1/2 hour (w/ just an occasional stir) till all bubbling stops. Now wait, and in about 1/2 hour the real interaction (winterization) will start (quite visible 'roiling'). place in freezer for 12 hours. After 12 hours, remove from freezer and strain off into individual glass containers w/ coffee filters, return to freezer while straining. To make shatter, you must do thin pours (thick pours = budder), so you only want about 2" of liquid in a pounder glass as each of these glasses will be an individual pour.

At this point, you should prepare your stovetop to evap the mixture. I used pots of water w/ pyrex dishes on top (kind of double boiler method). I had 2 setups going, if you stagger pours you can keep the operation flowing smoothly. I tried to keep the water below any real boil - just the bubbles that appear at the bottom of the pan. At this time, you also want to make sure your scraping setup is prepared. I laid out a piece of parchment paper w/ lots of clean razor blades.

Take out 1 of the glasses from freezer and remove filter (all the fats, etc will be visibe on filter). pour into pyrex dish on hot water. the mixture will go cloudy, then clear, then form beads of oil (about 15-30 min). After totally clear and beaded, take a blade and 'smush' down all of the beads and return to heat for 20 min to get any last trapped impurities. Once you figure out your timing, you can start a 2nd pyrex dish (on a 2nd pot of water) partway through the 1st 1 finishing.

Now it's time to collect your goodies. Using individual blades to collect the oil, scrape pyrex from one end to the other. When blade is loaded, place on parchment paper to cool. This process is much easier to do if you keep the pyrex on heat to make the product more pliable. After just a minute, you should be able to 'snap' the glass off of one blade w/ another to start your pile of absolute shatter. Be careful not to lift and relower the blade while scraping as this will cause visual imperfections.

This is what I did, but recommend anybody evaluate safety concerns/applicable laws for themselves. I had a return of 14 grams off of a qp of trim. There is a pic of the finished product in 'share that dab stash'. It's the one that looks kinda like hashbrowns due to the individual scrapes.
    lazylathe and vapor33 like this.
  5. vapor33

vapor33 Active Member

@z9 and @tepictoton - can it really be that easy??????

@Snake Plissken - that is a pretty detailed process, I've read that winterization is the best
  6. tepictoton

tepictoton Well-Known Member

Yes it is. And yes you can if you want to winterize it. I only do that with oils made for vaporglobe purposes (e-cig with ceramic cup). Oils for dabbing I just evap the alcohol. Winterizing looses some terpenes and as such will affect flavor in a negative way in my experience....
    vapor33 and Bouldorado like this.
  7. Snake Plissken

Definitely more work than w/ a vac, but a surefire way to get clean absolute shatter w/o a vac. ime, you can't get clear shatter w/o a vac unless you winterize - but yes, you do lose some terps when filtering the waxes and lipids. It takes the same time to do the butane extraction, a 12 hr freeze where you do nothing but wait and less than 2 hrs to turn a qp into 14g of shatter. Not how I always do runs, but the best way I've found to guarantee shatter w/o vac.
    vapor33 likes this.
  8. Bouldorado

Bouldorado Well-Known Member

I don't have a vacuum so I just use a low-temp oven purge for my BHO runs (small scale, <1g oil).

Prior to blasting I preheat the pyrex dish in the oven (lowest setting, 170F). This allows the liquid butane to evaporate much faster. Once the liquid is gone, I move the pan to the oven and turn the temp on and off every 10 minutes for about an hour. I feel 170 is too hot, so turning the oven off every 10 minutes lowers the average temp. I also leave the oven door cracked while it's on. This method doesn't always result in shatter, but you will get tasty, well-purged oil.
    lazylathe, vapor33 and Buildozer like this.
  9. walrus

walrus Well-Known Member

I prefer winterizing for vac less purging as well. Snake's method is pretty much how I do it. You definitely lose some terpenes/flavor and some weight from your final yield but I'm happy to make that trade off for such a well purged product without a vac. The end result is a smooth hitting and very clean burning shatter. Works great in vape pens without gunking up the coil too bad and dabs extremely smooth. This video does a pretty good job of outlining the process..
    darkrom, Snake Plissken and vapor33 like this.
  10. vapor33

vapor33 Active Member

Alright cool.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  11. Snake Plissken

Yeah, that's pretty much my process - but it's a reggae soundtrack throughout, no techno.
    vapor33 and smatchimo55 like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors