between smoking and vaping

freaktech

Hello, I did vaping many times the last year with a 1-4 highs per month and I stopped several months (5 or so) because one bad experience by a large dose for me with tachycardia, tremors and chills. Now, the past weekend I tried smoking instead of vaping.

first, smoking seems take longer time for come up. I noticed the effects 10-15 minutes later the last hits (smoking joint). I smoked 2 puffs each time and wait 2 minute and more sometimes, with a total 10-12 or so.

The high was unexpected, during the session I dont achieve perceptible effects, but with last 2-3 inhalations I perceived my head in a cloud a bit and progressively, more and more high, even psychdellic with dizziness, paranoia/fast thoughts, rare feelings in my tongue with liquids (similar to shrooms), racing heart, voices of friends sounds more "underwater" (my voice seems strange too) and a sense of introspection, more evident than vaping, more "balloon head" feeling, more complexity in its effects. I felt a bit more separate of reality. This acute feelings only lasted 15-20 min, later I feel almost sober but with my mind dispersed and more unable to concentration.

Is really smoking different to vaping? (the weed strain was the same, mexican sativa). Maybe I passed out by incorrect administration of inhalations?

PD: My vaporizer is Herborizer.

freaktech,

Nycdeisel

Sounds like you are smoking WAY too much for your tolerance level(which is on the floor, btw) or you may have some other underlying problem that is making you feel like you are tripping. I think its probably the first one.

But yes, the effect from vaporizing is very different from that of smoking, and even that varies for every person, however most describe it as a more clear headed and uplifting high, though a body high is achievable with a vaporizer, you have to up the temperature a little bit.
Keep in mind that different strains as well as different vaporizers on their own can cause different effects.

As for myself, I rarely ever smoke, but I vaporize a lot of the time. On the rare occasion that I do smoke, I find it to be pretty harsh on my throat, as well as less potent, and less efficient, meaning I use more herbal material, but I still dont feel the same high that I do from vaporizing, and smoking leaves me feeling burnt out for quite a while. So, for me, its not worth it to smoke anymore, vapor all the way.

Nycdeisel,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
it sounds like you are not using it very often, and so have a lower tolerance...?

beating heart many say has to do with the balance of the cannibinoids, but I believe at least in my case it has more to do with what i am thinking about, and i often strip off all of my clothes while I'm vaping just to stop sweating, but that's not the weed, that's my head panicking and stuff as I strive to hold in hits and concentrate on taking the hit.

i would guess the latency in effect you note when smoking has something to do with not using/smoking very often, as most people notice the most effects smoking during the first 10 seconds, and the remainder within 90 seconds (So, no, not all at once, but not usually past the first few minutes)

vapor absorbtion seems to be a matter of time and lung function, the more vapor you exhale the more you waste because the actives are part of the vapor, where with smoke the actives are carried along with particles of smoke, and left deep in the alvioli...when we vape we're just waiting for a cloud of vapor to settle, or that's my take on it.

with smoke you get hundred of other compounds and some mitigate and change the high, so a more woozy effect in general seems accurate for smoke

because one bad experience by a large dose for me with tachycardia, tremors and chills.
don't be afraid of getting too high with a vape - what you describe as somewhat extreme effects of cannabis will subside with familiarity

VWFringe,

Rico420

Meditate into your sessions.
I have no problems taking cannabis in low doses without too much paranoia or anxiety. If i do not prepare my set and setting with anything more than low doses it can lead to paranoia, anxiety, panic attacks, and how you described the physical symptoms was very elegant and rings true to what i experience some times. Basically anything over a threshold dose for me is extremely psychadelic and must be treated with respect. If you try to up the dose and blunt yourself to these affects, as have been noted, just know that's not the best way to go imo.

For me, when i tried to do that years ago (blunting or making myself tolerate the negative affects), it had some really nasty results that left me with lingering anxiety and issues that i still struggle with, but find relief knowing what causes it. If it makes your feel uncomfortable, then don't do it. But never be afraid to revisit it in a lower dose or a different state of mind at another time. I feel set and setting has a good deal of relevance with cannabis, and its not regarded as needing such culturally. But all of this could just be me, even though i believe this strongly.

Strain can also have a good deal to do with it, get a strain with more cbd and other cananbinoids just to see if that could be the issue. Sativas can freak me out real bad if i'm not prepared.

Also, you say its mex, Does that mean its weed shipped up to the us illicitly? Could be laced with jwh's, have traces of chem ferts, or other drugs for all you know. Bulk, criminal corporate/capitalists have the same disregard for human health as their business world counterparts. I highly recommend sourcing some high quality, preferably organically grown bud locally just to see the difference if you have not or are not already doing so.

good luck and i hope you can develop a relationship with this wonderful plant.

Rico420,

Nycdeisel

Great, great response Rico, I completely agree about set, setting, and finding some better quality, and more local herb.

Nycdeisel,

Smokey

Cloud Master
I guess we are all different...I used to smoke, quite a bit, everyday I would take several RooR rips. Since I started using mj, I NEVER experienced bad feelings or anxiety or paranoia, I really find it difficult to understand when people tell me they feel bad from using pot...maybe it's just me, in fact some of my goonies used to envy me for my ability to always enjoy in a positive way my mind alterations. I just start speeding with my mind, enjoy talking to everybody, have brilliant intuitions and in general, I enjoy being there, I am also more creative when it comes down to make music, but there, I must not abuse or I will find myself pushing the same button for "x" minutes xD
I stopped smoking few months ago when I discovered vaping and FC and my mj experience only got better :D discovered real mj taste and no more harshness and heavy lungs. My first vape trips were so great!! Now I think I built up quite a tolerance but still love my tasty milky vapor :rolleyes:

Smokey,

freaktech

Thanks for inputs. The weed isnt laced with anything for sure, its from my own growth. Mexican sativa is a popular strain of sensi seeds breeder. I would try a indica or more cbd related strain, but I cant grow at this moment and Ill dont buy street mj.

freaktech,

djonkoman

I had a switch back to combustion recently
my pd broke(not at all an issue with the pd design, but I had a 2nd hand pandora kit and trough an error on my side, try to use to thick wire, one of the wires on the resistor broke of wich I fixed with solder, but when it heats up the solder becomes soft and after a few weeks of use it came loose, know I'm planning on just buying a new resistor)
and being used to the pd fir a while my VG was too stoney and didn't get me as high as the pd, so I decided to just stop getting high for a while, on my own at east, started to smoke woth friends more often
usually when I'm with them I just take out my pipe or vaporgenie, since they all smoke joints with tobacco, and I think tobacco is nasty
but now 1 of my friends had some rolling tobacco that wasn't as harsh(still harsher then pure weed but smooth enough that I could take decent hits pf it instead of very small hits) and also didn't taste that strong, also my friends roll with more weed and less tobacco as a while ago
and I stopped getting high by myself at night for a while, and later I git some hash(nepal), of wich I still have some remaining, bought 10 euro worth of it(7,50 a gram), when I had already smoked a bit I sold half of what I had remaining(was at a party and it was 2-3 at night I think, and at that time all coffeeshops were already closed, so I got asked by a friend if I still had enough hash and if she could buy some of it)
and it's already lasting me 2 weeks or so now, I place an extra screen in my pipe(so the bowl is almost level and I can see the screen while hitting), then I place a tiny one-hit chunk of hash on it, touch it a few times with the lighter untill the chunk is glowing in 2 places, then pull the glow trough the entire chunk
provides nice light hash-hits, one hit already gets me a nice buzz(if I wait a few minutes or so), 2-3 chunks a good high, nice sativa and very activating
wich also came in handy because I've had some very busy days these last weeks(that and reduced vaping are the reasons you haven't seen me here for a while, but now the busy times are almost cleared, only some shit on sunday/monday)

but I made the decision to go back to my old habits(aplying to seshes with friends, the hash is still awesome), even after this little time I already noticed often having a sore throat
health was before never a reason to vape for me tough, I just like the vapehigh better, the smoothness, the nice appearabce of vapor(I nthink it looks nicer on the exhale as smoke, being that nice blue color)
and since the vacation is apraching I need to get my pd running again, already looking forward to watching all the moves I've downloaded the last weeks(but didn't have the time to watch them) while being high from my pd
now I'm back to my vaporgenie, wich is awesome, but doesn't get me as high as the pd, the vg is more like 'nice I'm high and feel good and would like to eat something', the pd is 'wow I'm freaking high YIAAAH *giggle* *giggle*'
don't know why the pd gets me that high while it can deliver less weed in the same amount of time, but it could be the lower temp, I'm just a sucker for sativa mindhighs but indica's don't do me much except make me fall asleep or have a boring lame night

djonkoman,

Lily

I have noticed that the few times, uh, someone I know, accidentally had too much and triggered a panic attack, it was always an indica. That hasn't happened with a sativa (yet). It's very uncomfortable and I really don't see the point in making yourself put up with it to get used to it. Your tolerance will rise the more you do it at a comfortable level and it will get easier to avoid having that happen.

Lily,

jumpman29

I've recently found that vaping just doesn't give me the desired effect that I get from smoking. I suffer from severe back pain and need the CBD that I don't think I get the full effect from vaping. Concentrates have been working for me but I always find myself going back to smoking. I love my Eclipse Vapes and using it with wax and budder, I find that much more efficient than my oil dome.

jumpman29,

Smokey

Cloud Master
Maybe you should try a vape that can reach higher temps in order to extract all cbd/cbn that you need, they usually are released at higher temperatures, when vaping deeply your herb.

Smokey,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Honestly it sounds like you are getting too high. If you can pass out from one bowl, try using half or less of the amount of herb. Better yet keep using less and less until you find an amount that barely has effects. That is your new starting amount :)

darkrom,

crawdad

floatin
when i first began a daily regime of vaping i sometimes would over do it and would have a panic attack, not a full blown one mind you, and it was enough to be alarming at the time. mind is racing about negative thoughts, usually thinking "am i going to return or is this what it is now?" kind of things. its hard to get there now but it does happen just more rare, on occasion ive noticed it had little to do with amount vs where my mind went at peak which i rarely direct, i just let loose.

but most of the paranoid feelings ive had in the past that were near impossible to stop and i had to ride it out was due to vaping too much too quickly. my suggestion is to wait at least 5-10 mins between hits so you can gauge the reaction better, eventually you may not need to do that. :peace:

crawdad,

reloader

When I first started vaping I was not convinced that I could get the same effect from smoking, but after vaping mostly for several years and occasionally smoking a joint, I feel I can get almost the same effect from vaping. I just feel so much better vaping, no coughing, and no harsh feeling in your lungs, and throat.

reloader,

los

the first time i tried c99 i loved it, i could taste the fruity undertones and i went overboard lol. it was picked early and the high was not fun because i had taken in so much in such a short amount of time that i became paranoid my heart began to race i felt trapped it just was not fun. but to be fair we were testing different phenos from a batch of seeds that were grown out. i tried it again a couple of days later IN MODERATION lol and i fell deeply in love with c99 and it has remained a favorite of mine for years and will always be......the key is moderation. my friends and family often laugh at me because im usually the first one to say im high enough lol, i dont want anymore. the way i see it is, if im already at my desired destination why go any further? why not just enjoy my ride?

there are plenty of sativas that have that effect when taken in excess, imho if you smoke/vape alot it is your responsibility to do some research on cannabis genetics. sativas picked early, even indicas when picked early have more head high than body high than they would if picked later and are more flavorful imo than when picked late as well. i prefer sativas picked a lil early cause when i smoke a sativa im expecting that heady high.

los,

steiner666

Serial vapist
It's hard to really recommend what you should do here. As some have said, you could have just been vaping too much at once because your tolerance does sound a bit low. In which case i'd recommend a log vape or other vape with smaller load and lower temp.

but on the other hand, as ppl also said, it could be an imbalanced high that caused the problem you said you had with vaping last time. for some ppl, lower temp vaping only can cause paranoia and/or anxiety without the more sedating and relaxing higher temp compounds.. at least thats how i've seen it to be. In which cause, getting a temp with a better range of extraction would be more beneficial for you.. like say a herbalaire, since its good at milking buds to the last drop, but IMO its harder to do so in one sitting without consuming too much...

it could just be your environment and state of mind that does it. I normally only vape at home, and when things are relatively peaceful.

steiner666,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Get good pure product if you can and listen to deep and uplifting music - Alice Coltrane, JS Bach, Grateful Dead, etc., lower the lights and close your eyes and just go with it. I understand the occasional discomfort but nothing like you're describing especially from vaping.
I've been told - and this may or may not be true - but I've been told this a few times by different people, that shit weed is often laced with Raid which "gets you more fucked up" and makes the bud look like it has more crystals.
I don't know - these days it seems harder to find crap weed than good weed but I guess it has a lot to do with where you are and who you are connected with. But inhaling heated Raid fumes would definitely get my heart racing and probably also repel insects.
Vaping is sort of a lighter experience than smoking. I do smoke once in a while - sometimes it's nice to take one or two hits with a glass bat on top of vaping.
Tolerance does build up pretty quickly also.
A friend of mine said something regarding vaping that's not true but its funny.
He said, "I figured it out. Vaporizing is getting high for old people."

jeffp,
Top Bottom