Best vaporizer for an extended outdoor journey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiker

Hello friendly people. I am hoping to get your input and advice about a vaporizer, with a pretty specific application in mind.

So imagine you are going to be outside on a trail for several months, hiking 2000+ miles across the USA. You would prefer to vape along the way, although carrying a small 1oz wooden pipe is tempting too because it would be a straightforward and lightweight solution. Charging a battery is difficult and undesirable because it means carrying solar panels or finding an electrical outlet when resupplying in town.
How would you do it?

My thought is that I would like a vaporizer that meets the following criteria:
-Heated with an external flame (butane lighter) rather than a battery. I can buy a new lighter at any gas station or store.
-Weighs less than 6 ounces. I need to keep my pack weight very light.
-Works well with bud (doesn't require hash oil or some specially purchased product). It is much easier to find good bud than anything else where I'm going.
-Relatively durable, though I understand that it will not be indestructible.

Price is not a big concern if it works well. Anyone have ideas for a vaporizer that would meet my needs?

Cheers!
Hiker

hiker,
Reactions: Seren

nopartofme

Over the falls, in a barrel
A Vapman would probably be the lightest and most durable option, with its little egg case.

The Lotus would be a little heavier I think due to the aluminum stem, but I'm not sure exactly how much that weighs. The Lotus is durable but there could possibly be problems from denting the nickle plate if you don't keep it in a case?

The Hammer is light too but it uses glass stems.

All of them will work very well with bud. The Vapman and Lotus require little butane torch lighters, while the Hammer's torch is built in and takes butane refills. If you want to use a soft flame lighter, a Vapor Genie product would be the way to go.

Fenton Mewley

A man in search of cloudier pastures
Just weighed out my Lotus 6" long stem + vapor cap : 3.25 oz (cap is 0.63 oz). I would imagine the short stem would make the whole unit around 3 oz or less.

If you're really looking to save some weight, Vaponic or Gn0me are made of glass and uses lighters as well. Of course, you'll lose on durability big time.

Echoing nopartofme, I would go with a Vapman or Lotus.

I was also looking for a "camping" vape. I decided on the Lotus because of its durability, flame operated, and the fact that torch lighters are better in the wind (soft flame is better than torch for VaporGenie, so I don't really recommend it).

For non-camping reasons, the Lotus' waterpipe adapter is amazing, and is more convenient to hook up to a bong than a whip-to-bong for the Vapman, IMO.

The Lotus is durable but there could possibly be problems from denting the nickle plate if you don't keep it in a case?

Denting may have an effect on heating, but the bigger problem is puncturing. The plate is actually pretty thin. I have a back up hot plate, and I could easily bend that in half with 2 fingers.

Last edited:
Fenton Mewley,
Reactions: nopartofme

natural farmer

Lotus would be the bet choice but you'll need a few cheap torch lighters with you as well as a butane can which are light enough I suppose. You need a few in case they break or something. Or get a better quality lighter or a couple of them so you don't carry many of them. For a soft flame, yeah, better go with a vapor genie but you'll loose on efficiency and taste. A Hammer is easier to break imo than a Lotus or a Vapman and a Vapman lucks on taste I think due to conduction heating and also potency of hits compared to the Lotus and VG.
Get a Lotus! I have been there and the Lotus would be the best choice. I had a MFLB and a VG with me at the moment. Two months in the jungle…

easy to dent the hot plate yes, but you could always rap it with a sock or something and be worries free

natural farmer,
Reactions: Seren

deadheadbill

I can see clearly now the smoke is gone...
Lotus. You can buy butane cans at most gas stations etc these days. I would get a good lighter and one can of butane to start. Extra lighters if you decide to go cheap over quality.

deadheadbill,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
I agree with what has been said. The Lotus is perfect for what you want. Search no further. :)

With a butane can + 2 torch lighters and you're set for the entire journey.

vorrange,

Unconnected

I would say any vapogenie/lightbulb style vape you can use with bic lightes is the only way you could vape on a long trip like that, but honestly i would much rather the simplicty of joints in that situation, i was off grid for 2 weeks recently and gave up on my cera mostly because i didnt want to damage it or get it dirty or dropped in a fire while i was camping. Joints and fruit pipes and a hookah were perfect, the hookah is a great vaporizer option for glamping with friends, runs off coal and they hit like a freight train, they are not really vaporizers though, very high temp vaporization, but they get you wacked. Not portable or good for hiking.

Unconnected,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

vorrange

Vapor.wise
I don't get it... What is the difference between using a bic lighter or a torch lighter?

Some answers seem to imply that a bic lighter is better than a torch lighter but i fail to see where.

vorrange,

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
You Can carry weeks worth of bics in a pocket you can't do that with cans of butane.

With a Vaporgenie or my lithe vape 4 bic lighters can last a month or two. and torch lighters themselves are a bit more unreliable then a bic.

vorrange

Vapor.wise
A can of butane lasts for a long time, so one can will be enough for his journey.

Is it that much of a hassle to bring a can the size of a 0,5L water bottle to justify buying a load of disposable lighters? And several months worth of bic lighters is more than what fits a pocket i think.

Plus, it is wasteful.

I have a genie and a lotus. If i needed to be away for so long i wanted to have the best vaporizer while having autonomy and durability. The Genie is more durable albeit slightly (just need to take care of the nickel plate), but is a much inferior vaporizing experience.

vorrange,

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
A can of butane is a lot bigger then 6 months worth of bics vorrange. and how is a bic "wasteful" ?

RUDE BOY,

hoptimum

I would go with the vapor genie. Cheap, durable, good for dry herb, and works with a cheap bic lighter.

hoptimum,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
How many bics do you think you will spend in 6 months? When i used my Genie i charged my lighter every 3 days. It was not a bic but it was rechargeable and with a regular yellow flame.

It is wastefull because bics are not reusable. You know... plastic and all that. Why get two dozen lighters when you can get one and a butane can?

I just don't see a bic lighter as an advantage, especially if it is not reusable. And i don't see how a 200ml butane can is so problematic...

Like hoptimum moto, quality over quantity.

The Lotus offers a better experience of vaporization and more environment friendly. Plus, you don't even need a grinder if you don't want to.

vorrange,

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
One bic can last me through five sessions a day for more then a week.

Have you ever packed a back pack for an extended trip on a trail. If you have you would know why a can of butane isn't as practical as a couple bics.

vorrange

Vapor.wise
One bic can last me through five sessions a day for more then a week.

So, 6 months is 24 weeks. So, 24 lighters give or take.

That buys you a good torch lighter and a can of butane. The lighter in the Lotus kit can be your backup.

Like i said, i tried both, the Lotus is on a different level. I would be pissed to be stuck to a genie and a bic for 6 months, i wouldn't be pissed if it was the Lotus.

vorrange,

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
HE's going hiking not sitting back like me a MMJ user that vapes every Hour and a half. Two lighters will last weeks. Get real vorrange.

Unconnected

in the specific situation im sure you would be visiting a store every now and again, buy 5 or something thats a lot of bic lighter.

Unconnected,

deadheadbill

I don't get it... What is the difference between using a bic lighter or a torch lighter?

Some answers seem to imply that a bic lighter is better than a torch lighter but i fail to see where.

Unreliability. I have them go out at home for no reason. Can't imagine being in the middle of the Appalachian Trail and my one flame source runs out?

vorrange

Vapor.wise
i used your math, of 5 sessions a day. Is that so unreal to do after the hike? 5 sessions?

I said what i think about this, the Lotus is superior in every way. The butane can should not be an impediment as it is light and the size of a water bottle. And definitely not a reason to choose the genie over the lotus.

Let the OP say what he thinks.

Deadheadbill, that is why it has been advised for him to get a better lighter and use the one in the kit as a backup.

deadheadbill

I have to be completely honest. If I were doing this, I would get a good bowl and a couple bics and forgo vaping for the duration of the hike. Just so much simpler.

deadheadbill,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom