Best Star Trek Captain?

Hexi

More to the point, who would have been a better choice for a female enterprise captain?
:hmm:
Yes, she absolutely gets hate because of misogyny. But I do think she was terribly mis-cast. And the writing was absolutely garbage.

The original casting was this
%5B180%5D-a1bd119a-cb0a-4ad5-a92e-eccf0aa58b93.jpg

(early years)
Bujold-Janeway.jpg

Pilot filming

Caligula

Maximus
Picard went way further than the Delta or Gamma quadrants... And made it back in time for tea. Like a boss.

Caligula,
Reactions: Jahannum

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Picard went way further than the Delta or Gamma quadrants... And made it back in time for tea. Like a boss.

He wouldn't have been there in the first place if Q hadn't thrown the ship into Borg space. If memory serves, he begged Q to take them back. ;) IMO, he came back with his tail between his legs, and hopefully a little less cocky, including Riker.

Last edited:

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist

Kosinski was an idiot. It ended ok though because they were able to meet a friendly, advanced alien, and exchange knowledge. Picard may have handled that situation good, but was pretty damned cocky in "Q Who." It took Picard a little time to be the great captain he was. The Traveler got them home, though, not Picard. Well, Wesley too. I was able to meet Wil Wheaton this past March, and he was a really nice guy. :)

Last edited:

Jeremy Driscoll

I'm forever in shock that the writers thought it was ok, for Janeway to break the Temperal prime directive. Permanetly changing the past so millions would have never been born, basically she killed all those who were supposed to be born but never were. And this timeline change affected the alfa quadrant her home, so yes human lives, were lost. How in the hell could she go back home, and not face a court marshell after her report came in of what she did? Not to mention the rest of the crew for allowing this to happen, and not protesting. This is a perfect example of a justified mutany that never took place when it should have, the crew should be court mar shelled as well, they knew the damage to the timeline they were causing, but put their selfish needs before that of their star fleet oath of morals and directives.

And forgive me if I'm wrong but didn't she kidnap 7 the borg? I mean I'm pretty sure she wanted to go back to return to the collective immediately but the captain wouldn't let her in the beginning.

And of course Janeway in the beginning I believe broke the prime directive by destroying technology that was not hers, which was once the caretakers, which resulted in everyone being stranded to begin with.

I think everyone knew from the first episode, the writers were going out of their way to make it clear that Janeway being made captain was star fleets biggest mistake ever.

I hope the next series starts off with the first episode showing the new captain of whatever new ship watching on his view screen the hanging of star fleets worse before he begins his mission just to clear the air to show the fans, that even though one captain was written as an idiot that they at least will not do the same thing twice with the new one, whomever that new captain may be.

I can see it now, Janeway swinging from a tree branch lifeless, with her uniform burned in bonfire party with champagne and toasts being made to the death of Captain Janeway.

Jeremy Driscoll,
Reactions: Hexi

Caligula

Maximus
And of course Janeway in the beginning I believe broke the prime directive by destroying technology that was not hers

The prime directive says something about destroying technology that isn't yours? LOL almost everyone in every series should court marshalled if that's the case.

Caligula,

Jeremy Driscoll

The prime directive says something about destroying technology that isn't yours? LOL almost everyone in every series should court marshalled if that's the case.

Your very wrong. It is not as simple as you put it. You are confused.
You misunderstood me.

"The Prime Directive dictates that there can be no interference with the internal development of alien civilizations."

When voyager destroyed the caretakers technology, they interfered with the natural involvement of the Kazon taking that technology and using it. In other words don't get involved in other aliens business.

The Kazon made it clear in that episode and later episodes (you should watch your star trek more often, your getting rusty). That the internal development of the Kazonn in other words how they evolve advance, or simply go through changes within their own species including in technology is not based off of making their own anymore or if they ever did, but by stealing or copying it from others like the caretakers tech that dummy Janeway destroyed so carelessly.

By destroying the chance the Kazon had to steal that technology (that chance being events that were already set in motion in that quadrant before voyager arrived), Janeway was interfering in the purpose that the Kazons internal development was based on which is not by inventing, but by stealing.

The purpose the Kazon stole technology to integrate it into their races development of advancement was not to have it destroyed by voyager.

Humans based their internal development from developing without any interference from aliens.

But the Kazon used stolen technology to develop no one else's advancement except their own.

Get it their own? As in to benefit internally for themselves and not outwardly for other species.

Their methods may be different but that is no excuse to break the rules.

Last edited:

Hexi

I watched a TNG episode the other week, Picard leads school children up a ladder by singing Frère Jacques.
Meanwhile, friggin Troi saves the ship w/ some help from the tech dudes and Ensign Ro keeping herself in check.

Everyone loves Picard and TNG, but watch like 10 episodes of TNG and then 10 episodes of DS9 (season 2.5+) and you'll see a drastic improvement in how Star Trek stories are told in longform w/ DS9.

TNG had no real villains. It was "Monster / Disgruntled Scientist of the Week". Q was an ally the whole time.

DS9 had a real plot and real problems. TNG had one real problem w/ the Borg and it was solved easily in 5 episodes and almost no-one died.

Picard is the English prof at your liberal arts college that all the hawties are swooning over.

CaptainPicardDay.jpg

captains_holiday_hd_121.jpg

The Sisko is the leader who gets in a torture box so you don't have to.
Picture-1113.png

This is how The Sisko teaches, reenacting Alice In Chains songs so the kids learn, the leader takes the heat.
children-paradise.jpg

Jahannum

(。´∀`)ノ
I find all Star trek usually follows the same formula. Crew starts off happy on some mission or adventure, they run into some problem, that problem becomes a seemingly impossible to solve problem with impending doom, Last 5 minutes they use a simple solution that someone discovers, last 2 minutes it is back to business as usual. Rare excemptions to the formula are found, but rare in comparison to the formula.

Jeremy Driscoll

In star trek TNG,there was an alien race that had another race addicted to a drug. And even though the doctor felt it was wrong for one race to take advantage of the other race, Pecard put her back in her place, and told her that the directive for bided her even TEllING the other race that it was a drug for addiction.

So just because one race is getting involved in an evil way to take advantage of another race, does not allow the federation to get involved.

The federation needs one of the races to be a part of the Federation and then interference is allowed. But don't get confused. Remember that a treaty does not mean that someone has joined the federation. Treaty and joining are two different things. An example of this is Cardasians abuse towards bajarens. And the federation would not allow themselves to give assistance. Because of the fear. The fear that this would upset the treaty of peace between the Cars and the Federation.

Another example is when the captain in TNG had to use a treaty to be able to save lives by getting 3 weeks to evacuate a planet from this one alien race that would only allow it because of the treaty. In the end of the episode Riker said "you enjoyed that". The captain said "your damn right I did".

By the way Janeway had no problem sharing technology with this hunter race which she was not supposed to do. But she gave holographic tech anyways. Because as all know. She is the anti-christ of the rules.

EDIT. Shoot, sorry, just realized double post. Admin please fix, sorry sorry again.

Modnote: Posts merged. Does the Prime Directive allow for that? :whoa:

Edit: Oh I am not a supporter of the prime directive. I think it is the worst insane rule of all time.

Now the Marquee, there's a activist group you can fall in love with.
Another rule I can't stand is the Omega Directive.

Now section 31, theres a group that knows how to get things done. And the best part is that they can do anything the Marquee do, even break all the directives without violating the rules of star fleet since they are licensed by star fleet to follow only one directive that star fleet issued them ever since creating 31 as a ranking authority of star fleet.

And that directive being do anything as long as you protect star fleet, and don't get caught in the process.(That even means getting caught by star fleet). Which of course happened.

Last edited:

arf777

No longer dogless
In star trek TNG,there was an alien race that had another race addicted to a drug. And even though the doctor felt it was wrong for one race to take advantage of the other race, Pecard put her back in her place, and told her that the directive for bided her even TEllING the other race that it was a drug for addiction.

So just because one race is getting involved in an evil way to take advantage of another race, does not allow the federation to get involved.

The federation needs one of the races to be a part of the Federation and then interference is allowed. But don't get confused. Remember that a treaty does not mean that someone has joined the federation. Treaty and joining are two different things. An example of this is Cardasians abuse towards bajarens. And the federation would not allow themselves to give assistance. Because of the fear. The fear that this would upset the treaty of peace between the Cars and the Federation.

Another example is when the captain in TNG had to use a treaty to be able to save lives by getting 3 weeks to evacuate a planet from this one alien race that would only allow it because of the treaty. In the end of the episode Riker said "you enjoyed that". The captain said "your damn right I did".

By the way Janeway had no problem sharing technology with this hunter race which she was not supposed to do. But she gave holographic tech anyways. Because as all know. She is the anti-christ of the rules.

EDIT. Shoot, sorry, just realized double post. Admin please fix, sorry sorry again.

Modnote: Posts merged. Does the Prime Directive allow for that? :whoa:

Edit: Oh I am not a supporter of the prime directive. I think it is the worst insane rule of all time.

Now the Marquee, there's a activist group you can fall in love with.
Another rule I can't stand is the Omega Directive.

Now section 31, theres a group that knows how to get things done. And the best part is that they can do anything the Marquee do, even break all the directives without violating the rules of star fleet since they are licensed by star fleet to follow only one directive that star fleet issued them ever since creating 31 as a ranking authority of star fleet.

And that directive being do anything as long as you protect star fleet, and don't get caught in the process.(That even means getting caught by star fleet). Which of course happened.

Uh, that's the Maquis, not Marquee. It's what the French Resistance in WWII called itself (literally means 'scrubland' but also means 'the underground" - had an uncle in it, supposedly the 1st Jew to receive the Legion of Honor).

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist

Does anyone else recognize the 2 alien men in this episode? One is Kirk's son, and the other is Kahn's son. ;)

Hexi

I find all Star trek usually follows the same formula. Crew starts off happy on some mission or adventure, they run into some problem, that problem becomes a seemingly impossible to solve problem with impending doom, Last 5 minutes they use a simple solution that someone discovers, last 2 minutes it is back to business as usual. Rare excemptions to the formula are found, but rare in comparison to the formula.

The entire run of DS9 scoffs at that formula! The crew is rarely happy, and those that are happy are usually in conflict with those that aren't. It took DS9 4 seasons to solve some problems and others were never solved!

Torture? Let us compare apples to apples.

Yea, kinda of makes Sisko's plastic IKEA crate seem like Risa.

ROFL that crate has no showers or HDTV! Picard got fresh fruit and lectures from the biggest wuss ever from Cardassia! Let me strip you nekkid and make you look at lights, oh how painful. VS. sitting/sleeping on IKEA furniture!

Good sir, have you ever had the misfortune of sitting on a plastic IKEA chair? Talk about needing to medicate!

THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS

But only one crate that can hold THE SISKO!

tiukauleh

The entire run of DS9 scoffs at that formula! The crew is rarely happy, and those that are happy are usually in conflict with those that aren't. It took DS9 4 seasons to solve some problems and others were never solved!

that sounds very different from the usual ST formula, maybe i have been missing something in not checking out DS9 and Capn Sisko!

tiukauleh,
Reactions: grokit

Jeremy Driscoll

Whats next. I am sick and tired of waiting for new star trek series. Does anyone know of a series that will finally carry the torch after voyager?

Jeremy Driscoll,

arf777

No longer dogless
Whats next. I am sick and tired of waiting for new star trek series. Does anyone know of a series that will finally carry the torch after voyager?
There are rumors of a Worf series possibly coming, but it's a question of Paramount allowing it to happen. It would ignore the JJ Abrams fiasco.

arf777,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Top Bottom