Best Star Trek Captain?

JCat

Accessory Maker
Nice analysis, but Kate Mulgrew is the actress' name.Over time, I've come to appreciate Voyager more. I think it's the series closest to TOS in tone (not afraid to be campy). She's pretty good in Orange is the New Black too.
I'm with you on this ... Kate Mulgrew and Voyager really grew on me (didn't like it at first, but became one of my favorites). I think she is an excellent Captain and agree she is also excellent in Orange is the New Black.

JCat,

Hexi

Nice analysis, but Kate Mulgrew is the actress' name.Over time, I've come to appreciate Voyager more. I think it's the series closest to TOS in tone (not afraid to be campy). She's pretty good in Orange is the New Black too.

Yeah mulgrew, was typing that blurb pretty fast apologies to Kate!

She also did comedy on NTSVU TST VS ETC that comedy central show

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut
Yeah mulgrew, was typing that blurb pretty fast apologies to Kate!

She also did comedy on NTSVU TST VS ETC that comedy central show
love her on that. watched a couple episodes of that this morning, actually!

Bob Loblaw,

Angus Thermopyle

miner of truth & delusion
Captain James T Kirk for 2 reasons.
He did it in 1964 and had no existing framework to build on.
Poor Scott Bakula. Too much of a "nice guy".

Ranked would be:
1. Kirk
2. Picard
3. Janeway
4. Sisko
5. Archer

Angus Thermopyle,

Hexi

Anybody like the animated series?

Yeah I mentioned it in one of my long winded rants, it's on Netflix. Star Trek TAS > Star Trek TOS IMO. Way more sci fi.

OT: I totally forgot how hot T'Pol was.
She was fantastic, but like many ST 'hawties' the writers get distracted and spend way too much time doing Teen-Sopa opera lite episodes.

That's one of the reasons DS9 was so good, at least they sort of pretended to handle relationships in a sort of mature/adult way. TNG was either sexless, or Riker getting sexy. DS9 sort of allowed normal style relationships. Although this was a big downer when the Worf-Dax coupling happened because... ewww married people are not nearly as hawt or interesting as sexy singles! Seriously tho, the Worf-Dax relationship was annoying realistic, especially in the 6th season.

Picard was written like he was too good for sex or relationships. Meanwhile the real life Patrick Stewart is a dirty dog hooking up with barely out of college chicks.

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Picard had a thing for Crusher.

He also had a thing for Vash, and she got away with sitting in the Captain's chair. No one got away with that except her. Crusher got to sit there, but she was in command at the time. :)

id9kjn.jpg

Hexi

He also had a thing for Vash, and she got away with sitting in the Captain's chair. No one got away with that except her. Crusher got to sit there, but she was in command at the time. :)

id9kjn.jpg

This picture defines the 80's in one simple frame.

Dr. Crusher, OMG Gates McFadden, I was a big fan of her. She got even more neutered than Picard. The writers treated her character like garbage for most of the series. She is freaked out by a Tril that is now female, but she's way into having sex with her grandmother's ghost boy-toy. Her character also stated that the dirty parts of her grandmother's diary were good reading material... ewwwwww

It really was pretty sexists too. Here you have a highly dedicated medical professional, a woman of science in the future, and a little ghost diddling and some dirty diary outakes from her Nana and she's ready to throw her entire career away because OMG LOVE.

Picard can break away from Borg control because BROS! MY BROS NEED ME TO MAN UP! But a woman? No, she needs someone else to blow out the magic candle. Even back in the 80s as a kid, I found that writing insultingly base.

It's typically voted as the worst episode of TNG by a large margin, and sadly it's one of the few Dr. Crusher focus eps.

I read that both Gates and Marina wanted to get more of the joke lines and do something as characters besides concern troll the captain. But the writers gave all the good jokes to Data, Riker and Worf. Denise Crosby saw immediately that the writers had no idea what to do with female characters and left the show.

Jahannum

(。´∀`)ノ
Data is unlucky in love. Didn't even get a chance to seal the deal with the borg queen either.
He did have a romantic relationship with Natasha Yar(they had sex).

id9kjn.jpg

I liked the romantic encounters Picard had in TNG. Escpecially liked Vash, and that someone else noticed that she was the only woman who could sit in the captain's chair without a word of complaint from Picard.

Also liked that episode where Picard and Crusher were telepathicly linked.

RaoulDuke007

It's Sisko, for me. Deep Space 9 in general is my favorite of the Trek series. Unusual, I know, but my tastes tend more towards the Space Opera/Fantasy (Star Wars, Firefly, etc). I find that DS9 had a grittiness and a 'realness', if that applies, for a Star Trek series. The characters all were a bit more real and a little less Mary Sue. It sort of goes against what Rodenberry imagined for the Trek Universe (dark, gritty, less hope) but I think that's why I like it.

Caligula

Maximus
This picture defines the 80's in one simple frame.

Sorry, her character didn't appear in STTNG until ~ 1992.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Captain's_Holiday_(episode)

Data is unlucky in love. Didn't even get a chance to seal the deal with the borg queen either.

when he told her he was , " Fully functional " I think I laughed harder than I ever had at any line in stng ...

He did have a romantic relationship with Natasha Yar(they had sex).

mic-drop.gif

Last edited:

Hexi

Sorry, her character didn't appear in STTNG until ~ 1992.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Captain's_Holiday_(episode)

Ahh I always forget how it creeped into the 90s timewise. But that outfit and chair and whole design is still from the 80s. Black nylons and a pinstriped mini-skirt business suit FTL!

They didn't get around to updating the uniforms for the 90s until DS9 and the TNG movies

It's Sisko, for me. Deep Space 9 in general is my favorite of the Trek series. Unusual, I know, but my tastes tend more towards the Space Opera/Fantasy (Star Wars, Firefly, etc). I find that DS9 had a grittiness and a 'realness', if that applies, for a Star Trek series. The characters all were a bit more real and a little less Mary Sue. It sort of goes against what Rodenberry imagined for the Trek Universe (dark, gritty, less hope) but I think that's why I like it.

Indeed, Space Opera rules! Albeit the genre is barely alive anymore :(

RaoulDuke007

Indeed, Space Opera rules! Albeit the genre is barely alive anymore :(

It's sad, really. It seems most of the Sci Fi being released at the moment is 'hard' sci-fi, or carries an overwhelming political message. I'm growing tired of class-war allegories with bugs and exo-suits. Don't get me wrong, these are valuable works, but sometimes I just want to watch a guy with a laser-sword traipse across the galaxy and save a three-boobed fire-maiden.

Hexi

It's sad, really. It seems most of the Sci Fi being released at the moment is 'hard' sci-fi, or carries an overwhelming political message. I'm growing tired of class-war allegories with bugs and exo-suits. Don't get me wrong, these are valuable works, but sometimes I just want to watch a guy with a laser-sword traipse across the galaxy and save a three-boobed fire-maiden.

Yeah the big problem with Class War and Robots is it is no longer futuristic. It's just an "alternate" version of what we got going on now.

tiukauleh

I'm with you on this ... Kate Mulgrew and Voyager really grew on me (didn't like it at first, but became one of my favorites). I think she is an excellent Captain and agree she is also excellent in Orange is the New Black.

no way, man, i have to respectfully disagree. Janeway - give a woman a starship and she gets lost halfway across the galaxy LOL. Archer - boring to the 9th degree. Janeway& Archer, made for each other.

And unlike the intellectual Picard, Kirk would never have allowed himself to be captured by the Borgs. Kirk (with half his starfleet uniform torn off) would have karate chopped/flying-kicked the hell out of them, or at least seduced the Borg queen into a heated surrender.

Top Bottom