Best Star Trek Captain?

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
I'm actually looking forward to Shatner's next Priceline commercial (filming now) because Jim Beaver (Bobby from Supernatural (who also has a Star Trek connection, starring in Star Trek Enterprise's pilot episode "Broken Bow") is going to be in it! :)

fp153q.jpg

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I'm actually looking forward to Shatner's next Priceline commercial (filming now) because Jim Beaver (Bobby from Supernatural (who also has a Star Trek connection, starring in Star Trek Enterprise's pilot episode "Broken Bow") is going to be in it! :)

fp153q.jpg

I love Jim Beaver. I first noticed him as Ellsworth in the best TV series ever, Deadwood.

Shatner just did a one-man show that's available here on The Movie Network, but I don't think it's been released anywhere else. It's called Shatner's World and I recommend it.

As far as the Captains go, I don't have a favourite. I liked Shatner when TOS was being broadcast, and I liked Picard when TNG was current. I liked Cisco and Janeway and Archer too.

next level

I love Jim Beaver. I first noticed him as Ellsworth in the best TV series ever, Deadwood.

Shatner just did a one-man show that's available here on The Movie Network, but I don't think it's been released anywhere else. It's called Shatner's World and I recommend it.

As far as the Captains go, I don't have a favourite. I liked Shatner when TOS was being broadcast, and I liked Picard when TNG was current. I liked Cisco and Janeway and Archer too.

I was thinking the same thing myself. But if I had to pick one it would be Riker.

next level,
Reactions: Vicki

vapomancer

I'm definitely going to have to go with Shatner , the archetype for the starship captain . I have loved all the subsequent captains , but only One could ever rap shakespeare ...

Snake Plissken

Transcendentalist
Absolutely Kirk. He wouldn't even make orbit before he was searching out some 3 legged, one eyed, purple alien girl to make sweet love to down by the fire. There's probably a couple of hundred little alien Kirk babies spread through the galaxy.

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
I've gotta agree with @Stu on this No contest it's Capt. KIRK !! The First OG ( and I do mean Gangsta) KIRK. Yes he's a Prick sometimes But He Is "The KIRK , Face Of The Star Trek".... if not Kirk then Capt Pike. That's what I say. But then again I'm baked and it's only 13:00. FUN FUN FUN.
Absolutely Kirk. He wouldn't even make orbit before he was searching out some 3 legged, one eyed, purple alien girl to make sweet love to down by the fire. There's probably a couple of hundred little alien Kirk babies spread through the galaxy.
Space herpes. Nuff said.
One thing about Kirk is he really knew how to treat a lady . . . Ka-POW!!! :ko:

JCat

Accessory Maker
I've watched every episode of every series except the original (most more than once especially NG) ... I've seen many of the originals but not all ... grew up watching NG and LOVED IT ... my wife is a big fan too! ... here's my votes for captains/series:

- Picard
- Janeway
- Cisco
- Kirk

Took me a bit to get into the DS9 and Voyager originally but Voyager ended up being one of my favorites! Some really good episodes!

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Am I the only one that liked Enterprise?

No! I loved Enterprise! I wish they hadn't gone on so long with the Xindi storyline. That's what killed it. :(

I balled like a baby when Trip and T'pol's baby died. :( Then, they just had to have Trip sacrifice his life too. :cry:

Vicki,
Reactions: Caligula

JCat

Accessory Maker
Oh man ... I completely forgot about Enterprise somehow! Wow! Maybe cannabis does affect your long term memory too! :lol:

Ok ... so now that my mind blip has been fixed ... I'll re-rank my list:

Captains:
1. Picard
2. Janeway
3. Cisco
4. Archer
5. Kirk

Series:
1. Next Generation
2. Voyager
3. Enterprise
4. Deep Space 9
5. Original

Enterprise beats DS9 on the series list in my estimation but Cisco was a better captain than Archer IMHO.

Hexi

Captains:
1. Sisko
2. Picard
3. Kirk
4. Archer
5. Janeway

Series:
1. DS9
2. TNG
3. TOS
4. Enterprise
5. Voyager

Actors:
1. Patrick Stewart
2. Avery Brooks
3. Scotty Bakula
4. Shatner
5. Janeway

None of these are fair or equal comparisons. TOS was cancelled early and season 3 was short changed with bad writing and low budgets. I actually like the 70s animates TOS series (original voice actors for the most part) much better than the TV series as it is far more Sci Fi and less cheap western looking. It really stretches the TOS ideas, it's on Netflix.

Voyager had a major shake up and major conflicts between the suits paying for the show, and those running the show and the actors. Many of the actors on that show HATED being there, and it shows (Chakotay you can almost see wanting to laugh at how bad his dialog is)

Kate Mulgrew was miscast as Janeway, wasn't the first choice, was not a good fit, and the writing for her character was horrid and changed in tone every 2 episodes. She looks way worse as an actor on this show than she actually is, FIT is everything with casting. Janeway would be much better as a side character, doctor or science officer or something.

DS9 started as a boring show about a space station that no one cared about, then changed later into an epic space opera about war. 90% of people who are not die hard start trek fans, never saw past the first season. The show doesn't really get good until season 3.

Enterprise was a disaster early on, no direction, then finally got some beef as the story about the time wars and the blue dudes etc.. started getting interesting, then they shit all over everything with the final season because of the paramount suits.

Bakula was boring as all get out, but like Janeway, a decent TV actor mis-cast in the wrong role.

Acting wise, Patrick Stewart is heads and shoulders above everyone on any of the series. However you can see that even he had to find his way in the first few seasons. You can almost see his wheels turning when he spouts some epic nonsense, like "does this even make sense in terms of the episode?"

Avery Brooks isn't even the 4th best actor on DS9. Most of the best acting comes from Miles O'Brien and side characters like Gul Dukat and Garrak.

Most casual Trek fans don't know who Gul Dukat even is, or how different the Cardassians are on DS9 compared to how lame they are on TNG. Ditto for the Ferengi.

The movies, all of them, are fucking garbage. First Contact and Wrath of Khan are watchable, but both would have been much better as 3 part TV episodes instead of movies. The B plots in those films are atrocious. Rock and Roll Warp Drive Drunk Guy was embarassing.

The JJ Abrahms trek movies are simply not start trek. They are generic Sci Fi action movies with Star Trek "skins". The first movie is like a mash up of Cliff Hanger and Terminator 2. The 2nd movie is just JJ pissing in every fan's face and laughing about it.

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
Captains:

Actors:
1. Patrick Stewart
2. Avery Brooks
3. Scotty Bakula
4. Shatner
5. Janeway

Nice analysis, but Kate Mulgrew is the actress' name.Over time, I've come to appreciate Voyager more. I think it's the series closest to TOS in tone (not afraid to be campy). She's pretty good in Orange is the New Black too.

Top Bottom