Best setup for use with Steinel Heatgun 2010 E

What do you prefer to use with a heatgun?

• Glass-on-Glass Bong

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • VripTech VWT II Kit

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DBA

I will introduce myself a little bit as this is my first post. I'm a 25 year old dutch guy, who has been smoking the herb for 10 years, and was introduced to a vaporizer for the first time half a year ago. This was in Amsterdam in Barney's Coffeeshop, the digital Volcano Vaporizer. I was extremely impressed and instantly decided I needed to get a vaporizer. It felt like rediscovering the herb!

Here I am, 3 months later, I have tried "De Verdamper" as well, and I liked that even more than the volcano! However, as I currently do not have the money to spend on either one, I decided to go with a heatgun setup. I have bought the Steinel 2010 E (The cheap, not ESD Version, however it is digital & seems just as safe). I have to decide what I want next, though. I have been looking at some bongs and the VWT II KIT from Vriptech, which contains a water tool and chamber for the herb as well as the perfect fit for my gun. De Verdamper is made from borosilicate glass, and I definitely want that. I'm also unsure about whether to go with the Vriptech kit or a bong. However when it comes to bongs I'm clueless, as I've always smoked joints before. What's the difference between a glass bong and a Glass-on-Glass bong? Does one want a solid tank joint? A diffuser? Ashcatcher? What thickness would be recommend? It would be purely for vaporizing weed or hash.

Any advice would be welcome,

DBA

DBA,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
Welcome DBA!

Volcano, VHW Heat Gun and Verdamper are great vaporizers but they are all on the expensive&cumbersome side.

I suggest you read about the LifeSaber Vaporizer and the Silver Surfer Vaporizer (from 7th floor), Wychwood Vaporizers (a different vaporizer made in a wooden body that has a very small bowl, perfect for solo use), and the Arizer Solo (a portable to use mainly at home).

The glass on glass ( gong), is a type of glass joint where the glass has that opaque textured look, and bypasses the need for rubber grommets.. it is a new style that emerged and allows for using bongs with only glass, from the main body to the downstem to various adapters (ashcatchers, etc)

With vapor there is no need for a very big piece or with a lot of diffusion, because it will cause a greater loss in taste (a big plus with vaporizing), and without added benefits since vapour is much less harsher than smoke (the reason for the diffusion to exist in the first place IIRC).

You could start with a simple straight tube bong, i have an Ehle 250ml with a diffused downstem and it's great for its price point and its german so its right next to you. (3.2mm thick, but its boro glass)

The thickness is important but the quality of the glass is even more.. although the ehle is not the thickest (you can find up to 9mm, and the usual high end quality glass is 5mm), its very sturdy.

I managed to knock it a few times and even against a metal door knob while i was walking and it's as new.

If you want to invest in something better, you can get a vaporbrothers bubbler from verdampftnochmal.de at 170€.. it is a different style, looks like a tea pot, but its a popular design here at FC.

DBA

Thank you for your insights Vorrange, I appriciate the input. I have been considering the Ehle, and I am looking into them as we speak. Is there any particular reason why you would take a 250ml one over a 500ml one for example? Or a 100ml one for that matter? Is that for the loss of taste? I also wonder about the choice of a diffused downstem as you mentioned before that there is no need for a lot of that. Also is it possible (and convenient?) to just use ice and a diffuser (so no water?)? Do I need a carb? About my heatgun I have ordered the extra nozzles (9, 14 & 20 mm) do you happen to know if any would fit one of the Ehle tubes nicely?

Thanks again for your time and help,

DBA

DBA,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
The last time I used a Steinel heat gun, we used it with a Roor bong, and the rips were massive. I liked the clean taste as well.

Vicki,

DBA

@HighyEducatedScholar, Thank you for the link, well helpful! However it does leave me with some questions still. Mainly about whether a diffuser is worth it for vaping, whether I want a carb & whether/how much difference the size of the glass piece makes.

@Vicki, That's good to hear, flavour seems to be my biggest priority, after that efficiency (which I'm guessing by the sounds of massive hits may not quite be the case). Any chance you could shine some light on that aspect?

I'm hoping to get some more input still, mainly about those 3 questions in the first paragraph of the post
Thanks to both of you for the help so far,

DBA

DBA,
Reactions: Vicki

vorrange

Vapor.wise
Thank you for your insights Vorrange, I appriciate the input. I have been considering the Ehle, and I am looking into them as we speak. Is there any particular reason why you would take a 250ml one over a 500ml one for example? Or a 100ml one for that matter? Is that for the loss of taste? I also wonder about the choice of a diffused downstem as you mentioned before that there is no need for a lot of that. Also is it possible (and convenient?) to just use ice and a diffuser (so no water?)? Do I need a carb? About my heatgun I have ordered the extra nozzles (9, 14 & 20 mm) do you happen to know if any would fit one of the Ehle tubes nicely?

Thanks again for your time and help,

DBA

I chose a 250ml after a recomendation by another forum member, but i was looking for a moderate sized model. The 500 and 1000ml were not in the picture, just the 100 and the 250ml.. the 250ml has the "clear", when its milky white and then you lift the downstem (or open the carb hole), and you clear the hit.. it has a nice volume to do that without going big like the 500ml.

One other thing was taste since less water = more taste. and the diffusion allows for a smoother hit and a more pleasant "chug" than a regular downstem.

You can use it with ice and no water, there is no problem there. haven't tried it though. :)

About the carb, it's just user preference mainly. It is said that the structural integrity is greater without the carb hole but i doubt it is significant. Since your using a heat gun, perhaps a carb will be easier to clear the hit then having to lift the downstem.

A downstem usually has two measures for the gong joint, 14mm and 18mm, so i think the 20mm won't fit, just the other two. But, I could be wrong..

vorrange,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
@Vicki, That's good to hear, flavour seems to be my biggest priority, after that efficiency (which I'm guessing by the sounds of massive hits may not quite be the case). Any chance you could shine some light on that aspect?

DBA

It's efficient, but it doesn't conserve herb, if that's what you want to do. I remember the bowl we used was a pretty good side, in order to fit the heat gun. It held a lot of herb. Thus, we were using quite a bit.

Vicki,

DBA

Thanks again both of you!

@Vorrange, Thank you that answered all the questions I had left (for now!) I believe. I'm hoping that the 14mm nozzle will fit as I put it on earlier and I can't seem to get it off!

@Vicki, That clarifies it :) And I'm pretty sure that for me as a person it might be pretty efficient anyway, I got blown away after 1-2 tokes of the Volcano and De Verdamper on separate occasions. And I'm quite a regular smoker (I'd say, 7-8 grams a week, evenings only) and I am hoping that I'll be able to come close to their ratio after a bit of practice.

I have pretty much decided on an EHLE 250/500ml bong, with a diffused downstem and ice notches, nothing fancy for the rest. Though their website does not seem to stock 250ml with notches, and I don't like the design of the logos on their "Mexican style" ones. So I'm still searching for the perfect one, but I know what I'm looking for :) I would like to thank you once again for your time and effort to explain this all to a vape-and-bong-newbie, you have helped someone out greatly! I'll update this thread when I have made my decision, just for the future readers that may be in the same situation.

Have a good weekend & vape it up,

DBA

DBA,

DBA

As a matter of fact I still have one question left.. Is there any way to find out what size diffuser I would want to order with me bong? I get the joint size but the length I'm not sure about, and the website does not appear to give any numbers either. Does anyone have any advice on this? Also, I'm not sure if this is allowed, but I was wondering if anyone here knew any places that sell Ehle Bongs in Europe. I have been trying really hard to find multiple shops but I have only managed to find the actual company (which, surprisingly, have a very very limited stock, on their webpage at least) and another popular headshop but the latter does not stock ANY bongs (in my range at least) with a carb. Suggestions would be appriciated.

Thanks,

DBA

DBA,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
As a matter of fact I still have one question left.. Is there any way to find out what size diffuser I would want to order with me bong? I get the joint size but the length I'm not sure about, and the website does not appear to give any numbers either. Does anyone have any advice on this? Also, I'm not sure if this is allowed, but I was wondering if anyone here knew any places that sell Ehle Bongs in Europe. I have been trying really hard to find multiple shops but I have only managed to find the actual company (which, surprisingly, have a very very limited stock, on their webpage at least) and another popular headshop but the latter does not stock ANY bongs (in my range at least) with a carb. Suggestions would be appriciated.

Thanks,

DBA

check www.head-nature.de, it was where i bought mine.. in the diffuser section there are ehle diffusers discriminated by volume (250,500, etc)

vorrange,
Reactions: DBA

HighlyEducatedScholar

Student of Vapor
I have pretty much decided on an EHLE 250/500ml bong, with a diffused downstem and ice notches, nothing fancy for the rest. Though their website does not seem to stock 250ml with notches, and I don't like the design of the logos on their "Mexican style" ones. So I'm still searching for the perfect one, but I know what I'm looking for :) I would like to thank you once again for your time and effort to explain this all to a vape-and-bong-newbie, you have helped someone out greatly! I'll update this thread when I have made my decision, just for the future readers that may be in the same situation.

DBA

i think this is a great choice for a vaporist just starting off in glass. although i don't have a large collection like others on here, it's good to start off basic AND THEN play around with what you like.

HighlyEducatedScholar,

DBA

@Vorrange, thanks, very helpful! Their new website appears to be http://www.head-shop.de and I do really like it, I have got all the essential parts I believe (The Tube 500ml, A Diffuser and a Medium Sized Funnel Bowl) but they do not sell any glass screens. What can you recommend?

@HighlyEducatedScholar, that's what I was thinking, once you have a good base setup you can expand from there. I intend to DIY some bagsystem at some point with the heatgun as well.

DBA,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
@Vorrange, thanks, very helpful! Their new website appears to be http://www.head-shop.de and I do really like it, I have got all the essential parts I believe (The Tube 500ml, A Diffuser and a Medium Sized Funnel Bowl) but they do not sell any glass screens. What can you recommend?

@HighlyEducatedScholar, that's what I was thinking, once you have a good base setup you can expand from there. I intend to DIY some bagsystem at some point with the heatgun as well.

They have a good marketing department.. i have seen that website in at least 2-3 different addresses and it's always the same store and the same products. ;)

Why do you need a bowl, are you going to combust in it? If not, a tube+diffuser is all you need. I use regular steel screens.

About the bag system, check the Vapor Lung thread in Vaporizing Discussion section. It is not the same, but perhaps you'll take some ideas out of it.

vorrange,

DBA

Alright so if I'm not going to combust where will I put my weed when vaping? Don't I need to put it somewhere so it doesnt fly out. If I don't use a bowl where would I put my weed? Straight in the stem? I'll definitely have a look for that thread and I´ll get some steel screems.

Thanks,

DBA

P.S. I only mentioned the new website as the one you linked didn´t work, however googling it did redirect me there. More for future reference than anything else :)

DBA,

DBA

Another question, from people's experience, when you aim the heat gun at the herbs would you need the herbs to "warm up a bit" first, would you have to hit it while you would do this? Or can you heat it up beforehand and then just put it above the herb and pull the trigger while inhaling?

DBA,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
Another question, from people's experience, when you aim the heat gun at the herbs would you need the herbs to "warm up a bit" first, would you have to hit it while you would do this? Or can you heat it up beforehand and then just put it above the herb and pull the trigger while inhaling?

I thought you already had a bowl for the heat gun, i dunno what is the best option though.. In that case, a regular bowl could do it but maybe someone who has a heat gun could enlighten you further.

You could also get one from Vriptech, since they have a steinel heat gun combo, and i think they use the same bowls as the VHW: http://www.vriptech.com/Merchant2/m...=VR&Product_Code=VCBS_14_4mm&Category_Code=RP

You don't need the herbs to warm up.. some people use primer hits, which means doing some smaller hits, and then the BIG ones. I don't really see the point unless you want to waste a lot of vapour, sometimes its okay though.

vorrange,

DBA

I will personally try to avoid ordering from Vriptech myself mainly because they ship from the US so it will be a long wait if something happens or I break something or anything along those lines, however the perfect fit for my gun is very very tempting. I have a 14mm nozzle for my steinel I was kind of hoping that that might fit more or less exactly in the bowl. If anyone has ever tried this setup, please give me some advice I can't wait to start vaping but I wanna do it properly! Thanks once again Vorrange :) I did not think getting a glass piece required this much preparation!

DBA,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
I will personally try to avoid ordering from Vriptech myself mainly because they ship from the US so it will be a long wait if something happens or I break something or anything along those lines, however the perfect fit for my gun is very very tempting. I have a 14mm nozzle for my steinel I was kind of hoping that that might fit more or less exactly in the bowl. If anyone has ever tried this setup, please give me some advice I can't wait to start vaping but I wanna do it properly! Thanks once again Vorrange :) I did not think getting a glass piece required this much preparation!

Check verdampftnochmal.de ... they have the vhw, so perhaps you could buy through them. Either way, go to the VHW thread and ask there. They will help you with this, i am sure.

You can buy without much preparation, but that will problably mean will buy more until you find the right piece for you. :)

vorrange,

DBA

I am aware of that, I rather do research and get the right piece the first time, I just didn't know there was so much to consider! Thanks you very much I'll check that website out.

DBA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom