Best bag vape?

steiner666

Serial vapist
I'm thinking about adding a bag vape to my collection. I have little experience with the particular models, so I'm hoping that someone who maybe owns a few can help me compare, contrast and rate them according to what i'm looking for. The Volcano is out of my price range, the bag vapes i'm looking at are the Herbalaire, the Ion, and maybe the Extreme, but i'm open to new suggestions.

What's important to me... I just want a bag vape that works well. I dont care about other methods of delivery since i have other vapes for that, just bags. Ease of use is important, as is avoiding leakage during the bag filling/sucking process. I want one that can evenly vape the loads, small or large, evenly and thoroughly.

Of course price is always immediately important, but durability and a good warranty matter too.

I know a lot of the times, vapes look and sound good until you get them and use them for a while, then you find things you dont like so much about them and maybe start wishing you would have got a different model that has better features and such. I did that when i got my dbv and then switched to my ssv. i'd kinda like to just avoid that step this time though. lol

steiner666,

Bruce@Zephyr

Vapor Fan
Manufacturer
steiner666 said:
I'm thinking about adding a bag vape to my collection. I have little experience with the particular models, so I'm hoping that someone who maybe owns a few can help me compare, contrast and rate them according to what i'm looking for. The Volcano is out of my price range, the bag vapes i'm looking at are the Herbalaire, the Ion, and maybe the Extreme, but i'm open to new suggestions.

What's important to me... I just want a bag vape that works well. I dont care about other methods of delivery since i have other vapes for that, just bags. Ease of use is important, as is avoiding leakage during the bag filling/sucking process. I want one that can evenly vape the loads, small or large, evenly and thoroughly.

Of course price is always immediately important, but durability and a good warranty matter too.

I know a lot of the times, vapes look and sound good until you get them and use them for a while, then you find things you dont like so much about them and maybe start wishing you would have got a different model that has better features and such. I did that when i got my dbv and then switched to my ssv. i'd kinda like to just avoid that step this time though. lol
I think you pretty much described the Zephyr Ion,... easy to use,.. inexpensive (comparatively), durable and comes with a solid 2 year warranty... Just my two cents,.. I am sure others will give their impressions of various bag vapes as well,.. even the ION.

Bruce@Zephyr,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
I have the Extreme .v3 and the only thing I do not like about it is that the bags don't seal with a clamping lock. There are work arounds but they are clumsy in my opinion. The Volcano is, as you mentioned out of my price range (thats not gonna stop me from getting one when income tax refund rolls around though). I do not know anything about the Herbalaire, so I'd have to say go with the Zephyr Ion. I plan on getting one but am going to wait until they come supplied with the whip kit (at the moment they do not as far as I am aware).

I use bags about one day a week (my Extreme is stored at my girlfriend's house so I don't use it that often), and it's always a treat when I get to it.

Tom

tdavie,

lwien

Yeah, I have the Ion. I haven't used the HA or the Q so I can't compare, but I haven't been able to fault anything that the Ion does or how it does it. In all honesty, if Bruce ever asked me what could be improved on it, I would have to say just one thing. It would be nice if there was some type of sensor that would sense when the bag was full and shut off the fan so you don't have to stand over and watch it, but that would add to the cost, no doubt. But other than that, I really can't see anything that would need improvement.

lwien,

lwien

tdavie said:
I have the Extreme .v3 and the only thing I do not like about it is that the bags don't seal with a clamping lock.
The Ion does. It has valves that seal. Don't know about the HA in this regard. Having to hold your finger over the bottom of the bag so that vapor doesn't escape sounds like a bit of a hassle.

Also, I've heard that with the Cano, a full bag will tip over and fall off the vape. The Ion will not do this either in that the valves lock the bag onto the vape.

lwien,

FEAR420

Ill settle for holding my finger over a stem while I get MAX efficiency and my unit costs $119 LESS. ;) Stoner bells & whistles dont make the vape....the quality of extraction does.....

FEAR420,

Bruce@Zephyr

Vapor Fan
Manufacturer
FEAR420 said:
Ill settle for holding my finger over a stem while I get MAX efficiency and my unit costs $119 LESS. ;) Stoner bells & whistles dont make the vape....the quality of extraction does.....
I don't goad easily

Bruce@Zephyr,

lwien

FEAR420 said:
Ah, so you have to do that with the HA also, eh? Yeah, I've heard that the HA is the most efficient bag vape on the planet. Major plus. But man, it sure would be nice if they had some kind of locking valve system like the Ion. A full bag will last me about 20 to 30 minutes, so with the Ion, I'll take a hit and lay it down on the coffee table while I do other things. Having to hold my finger over the opening of the bag till it's empty seems like a bit of a hassle but if the HA is that much more efficient, I guess it could kind of even things out.

Edit: Bruce, a friendly suggestion. Every time I see a manufacture get into a "best of" thread, it never seems to go well. Just a thought..............

lwien,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Okay I don't even have a bag vape but couldn't one of those clips for bags of chips or something be used to hold a bag shut? I know if I had one I'd find something versus holding the bag for 20-30 minutes lol! Necessity, mother of invention ;)

Lo,

lwien

Lo said:
Okay I don't even have a bag vape but couldn't one of those clips for bags of chips or something be used to hold a bag shut? I know if I had one I'd find something versus holding the bag for 20-30 minutes lol! Necessity, mother of invention ;)
But even that would be a bit of a hassle in that every time you fumbled around with the clip and attaching it to the bag, vapor would escape. With the Ion's valve system, it's just a push of a spring loaded button to create the opening, and just a release of the same button to close it. Minimum escape of vapor..........if any.

lwien,

Beezleb

Lo said:
I think vapor would still escape but I also think for many users, a bag does not last long. I also think if you used a bag clip you run the risk shortening the life of the bag than through normal use.

I love my Zephyr and it has become my vape of choice and I did not expect that from a bag vape. I really cant wait for the wand attachment.

Beezleb,

FEAR420

Bruce@Zephyr said:
FEAR420 said:
I don't goad easily
Im not trying to goad you into anything....I call it how I see it,end of story :)

FEAR420,

Lo

I have no real bag experience other than trying a friend's Volcano so it was just a thought on the clips.

Lo,

steiner666

Serial vapist
Thanks for all the opinions. Now i just need someone who owns the HA and the Ion to give their opinion on which is best lol. If only i could afford to order both and do a comparison myself :brow: I'm very interested in proof or disproof of the most-efficient bag-vape claim. But if they both have an adjustable temperature and work in largely the same way (blowing hot air across herb) how could one really be more efficient in the end, assuming they both have sufficient temp range? Bowl design? Or would one having a different airflow or adjustable speed be enough to make it more efficient? you'd think that adding variable speed would just add an unnecessary complicating factor into what temp to vape at, since all it would do in the en dis control temperature, right? I see the HA uses an external pump, a bit inconvenient IMO but easier to replace should the need arise i'd imagine, but the main question is whether it makes it perform any better.

It seems they're both well-liked bag vapes. Possible and unproven efficiency differences aside, the final question really seems to come down to: are the Ion's extra features worth the $100+ price premium? The sealing valves on the bags does sound like quite the added perk. One of the reasons i want to get a bag vape is so that my stupid friends can vape with me w/o fucking things up. I can see someone (or even myself honestly) forgetting to cover the opening after a hit, or having leakage issues when passing it off to another person.

But how good of a seal does it create? Like, if you fill a bag full and detach it and hold it up in bright lighting with a dark background behind it, is there any visible vapor leakage? If you fill a bag and set it aside, how long does it take for it to noticeably reduce in mass and/or potency?

steiner666,

lwien

steiner666 said:
But how good of a seal does it create? Like, if you fill a bag full and detach it and hold it up in bright lighting with a dark background behind it, is there any visible vapor leakage? If you fill a bag and set it aside, how long does it take for it to noticeably reduce in mass and/or potency?
The seal on the Ion is great. No visible vapor leakage from valve. Regarding setting the bag aside and how long it takes to lose potency, I would think it would be the same for all bag vapes in that the issue is condensation on the inside bag surface.

lwien,

Beezleb

lwien said:
steiner666 said:
The seal on the Ion is great. No visible vapor leakage from valve. Regarding setting the bag aside and how long it takes to lose potency, I would think it would be the same for all bag vapes in that the issue is condensation on the inside bag surface.
I agree, I think it would largely be dependent on more environmental factors as in how cool or cold it is the area you are vaping.

Beezleb,

steiner666

Serial vapist
Hmmm, I've been doing some research and the more i do, the better $475 for a classic volcano is sounding. I'm liking the valve designs on it better from what i'm seeing. I'm starting to think that, if i'm going to shell out money for a bag vape, i might as well shell out for whats most popularly considered the best of the lot. Having to save up a bit longer might be worth it in the end... and german made stuff is usually pretty awesome.

Well, I still have a while to think about it either way.

steiner666,

lwien

steiner666 said:
Hmmm, I've been doing some research and the more i do, the better $475 for a classic volcano is sounding. I'm liking the valve designs on it better from what i'm seeing. I'm starting to think that, if i'm going to shell out money for a bag vape, i might as well shell out for whats most popularly considered the best of the lot. Having to save up a bit longer might be worth it in the end... and german made stuff is usually pretty awesome.

Aside from German engineering, which has always seemed to be top-notch, the question that I have is, what does the 'Cano offer over the Ion?

lwien,

steiner666

Serial vapist
lwien said:
steiner666 said:

Aside from German engineering, which has always seemed to be top-notch, the question that I have is, what does the 'Cano offer over the Ion?
I'm also a sucker for metal housings. IMO, the less plastic used in a vapes construction is, more often then not, directly proportionate to it's overall build quality and durability. I also am liking the way the valves (in both standard or easyvalve design) attach to the bags better than zip-ties. I'll admit however that it's really hard to judge the quality of such things over the internet. I find that purchasing anything that i cant try out hands-on is a bit of a gamble, and the volcano's just looking like the safest surest bet.

I think the biggest thing that has a factor in my swaying towards the volcano is that i'm in no rush to order whichever vape i choose, as I'm perfectly happy vaping from my current vapes atm, so I don't mind saving up a bit longer. If i didnt already have a vape, or if i had just my LB and was totally set on getting a bag vape, i'd probably feel more urgent and would get what i can afford quickly.

The carrying case also looks pretty badass for the volcano too, and you can get a premium case with scrolling lock on vapeworld for $9 more :cool: It's kinda disappointing that the digital volcano costs so much more than the analog classic. When you compare the prices of the Ion and the Volcano digital, the Ion does seem that much more appealing. But I dont think it matters that much, analog control has been working for me fine so far in my variable temp vapes.

I'm really going to start lookin into the efficiency of the different vapes now, their bowl dimensions and how well they vape X amount of herb and such. I dont want to get something i'll have to dump heaps (half a gram) into in order to get decent hits.

steiner666,

Beezleb

Sounds like the Volcano is a great fit for you, please write a review once you get it, if you go that way.

Beezleb,

steiner666

Serial vapist
Beezleb said:
Sounds like the Volcano is a great fit for you, please write a review once you get it, if you go that way.
Oh i'll definitely have to gloat about owning the worlds most expensive vape if I do choose to buy one lol, that's half the fun after all, isnt it?

I've pretty much read through the Ion's vape-specific thread on here, and i must say, the fact that pretty much all the regs from here that have bought one seem quite happy with their purchase is a pretty impressive endorsement. I've yet to see anyone complaining and wishing they would have got a different vape instead.

Decisions, decisions... I suppose i should just be happy that i actually have as many options available for a bag vape these days. Best price i've found for an Ion is $320 at vapenow w/ 320ION promo code, not bad i suppose... $155 less than volcano.

steiner666,

Lo

And when they come out with the whip the Ion will be multifunctional ;)

Lo,

stinkmeaner

lwien said:
It would be nice if there was some type of sensor that would sense when the bag was full and shut off the fan so you don't have to stand over and watch it, but that would add to the cost, no doubt.
I wonder of they could just use a timer, I can't imagine that would cost them anymore.
lwien said:
One thing I like about the Volcano is that the herb chamber is separate so that cleanup is a breeze, all you have to do is soak it in ISO. But on the other hand it looks like the Ion would be harder to clean because they use an crucible that drops into the machine so it would seem that vapor honey would build up inside over time, I know you could wipe it out but it seems like it would never be as clean as the volcano. One plus with this design is the ability to use a whip which is very positive.

I don't have any experience with the ION to say if this would happen or not, it just appears this would happen based on the design. maybe someone can chime in that has owned one for a while.

stinkmeaner,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I'd prefer the Ion to the Volcano Classic. The digital temperature control's accuracy on the Ion can't be beat. I used to not care about this, but the low temp vaping I've been doing with the Ion is kick ass.

stickstones,
Top Bottom