Benzene from THC Juice

KeplerCan

Hello everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster... :)

I recently have moved from smoking to vaping, and for the most part I've been able to find the information I'm looking for, but I'm trying to get some clarification on a few points.

I started by doing a BHO extraction of about 1/2 oz of plant material (yes, all safety precautions were taken, and this was done outside in open air). I took the resulting concentrate and made my own vape juice with it. A friend gave me his old Reuleaux rx200 which I've paired with a Smok VCT tank and Ni200 TC coil.

I've found temperature guides for vaping, but they all seem to assume plant matter where higher temps can lead to benzene and other bad things. However, I'm not sure if this is because of combustion of the plant matter itself, or if it's because certain terpenes/cannibinoids are being converted to benzene. I started with a temp setting of 370F, and liked the results, but I find I enjoy the results more when it it set at 430F because I get a more mellow high with a pronounced relaxing effect on my body. Is this difference because THCV is being vaporized and providing a sedative effect while cancelling out some of the THC, or am I just converting more of the THC to CBN? Would a higher CBD strain allow a lower temperature with the same body effect?

If this were plant material 430F would be nearing combustion territory and would definitely be creating toxins like benzene. Does this still apply when a concentrate is used rather than plant material? Does temperature matter at all as long as it's above the boil point for the terpenes/cannibinoids I want, and below what will damage the coil?

Last edited:
KeplerCan,

seaofgreens

My Mind Is Free
If you are overly worried, just stick to vaping below 365 F as benzene seems to begin forming above said range.

But... what are you worried about exactly? You recently smoked as your main delivery system right? Way more benzene production present in that process. So just switching over to vaping is a great start!

If you enjoy 430 F, enjoy 430 F guilt free imo.

Life is only so long, regardless of the dangers we try to outrun. So enjoy it!

You already stopped smoking. If vaping seems too risky in the future, switch to edibles, or abstain as is your choice. Or accept that there are still some risks associated.

Good luck either way, and welcome to FC.

Last edited:
seaofgreens,
Reactions: OF

KeplerCan

I'm not really that worried, and mostly because of the points you raised. It's more of intellectual curiosity situation. I'm just trying to better understand the chemistry involved in this process, and how different delivery methods effect that chemistry. Any residual butane from an improper BHO extraction would be more of a direct health issue than the potential benzene levels from vaping juice made from that extraction I'm guessing.

KeplerCan,

TeeJay1952

My wife passed away from throat cancer. Smoked (joyfully) for 50 years. I got a Vap Cap and used a Bic (against all advice) and was astonished at the filth that accumulated on fingers and cap. I now wonder if the Bic inhalation accumulation had anything to do with her demise. Are there studies on Bic (unfiltered butane)?

TeeJay1952,
Top Bottom