Battery Pack for 12v log vapes?

zombonaut

Is anyone else interested in a long lasting mobile power pack for your log vapes? The Vapolution battery pack is reported to work for about an hour before needing to be recharged. This does not seem to be worth it.

I know that RC enthusiasts have made use of lifepo4 battery packs for this purpose, and the battery life seems to be really good with these.

I wonder if anyone might be able to make a lifepo4 based power pack to market to the vape community. How much would an item like this cost?

Anyone else have any interest in this?

zombonaut,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
... lifepo4 battery packs ... How much would an item like this cost?

LiFePO4 batteries rock!

Check ebay and R/C hobby sites.

26650's are about $15 each (3.3v, 2.3Ah) (or $7.50 each from china)
18650's are about $2.50 each (from China) - same voltage, 1/2 the capacity.
Chargers are anywhere from $10 (for one cell, 1 hr charge time) to $70 (several cells with a balancing cable, 15 min charge time). Note: requires special charger, standard LiPoly charger won't do it (unless CCCV).

i get about 70 minutes of run time with two 26650s in series (6.6 vdc) -- it takes 70watts for 30 seconds to reach vape temp, then about 10 watts to maintain vape temp.

Hippie Dickie,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
I see the Vapolution battery pack is now Li-Ion, 12v, says two hours, but other sources say one to one and a half depending on power draw.

this is the same thing from another source...

rechargeable-12v-lithium-ion-battery-pack-2.jpg

but I can't figure out how many or what size cells are in these. I'm guessing there's a step-up or step-down circuit, but stacking batteries you could get to 12v with three 3.7v cells, right?

would it matter if the power was not linear? (if it starts out at 12 and creeps down to 11.1)

Also, could a different resistor be used to work with 5 volts instead of 12 in a log vape? (the tekkeon battery pack output is 5 volts, about 1.8 amps)

VWFringe,

elmomuzz

That just happened...
I use 3 cell lipo battery. They are cheap and powerful but you must have a special charger and take care not to over discharge. I fly r/c airplanes so I have them lying around anyways. I buy them from
www.hobbyking.com

elmomuzz,

gettin lifted

psychonaut
this is a cool idea. i suppose if you could get an hour battery life on your log style vape that would be awesome to walk around with. probably work best if you had it heated up already and then put it on the battery after it was heated to prolong life. thats probably obvious though.

im going to look into this.

gettin lifted,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
45 minutes to heat up - lol

15 could be totally worth it tho, with only three batteries, and using a case where you can easily change them out would offer more flexibility and no fear of the middle battery living a shorter life, you can recharge them in a good charger, out in the garage, instead of three stacked in a plastic box...

isn't charging stacked batteries a problem, or at least the middle batteries tend to fail before they would've if charged separately? (I know very little outside the e-cig application, but know for those "high drain" is best for battery longevity, give it enough juice so it's not sucking on the battery like a straw, banging on it's limits...? do i have that right, Hippie?)

caseyellow.jpg

there are off-the-shelf boards for 20-30 bucks (US) that look a little less beefy than this example:

[h]SMPSU,5V/6A,12V/2A,-12V/0.5A[/h]

R4688070-01.jpg

there's a couple different ones being used by lots of modders over on ECF, but I think they only go to 1.5 amps, not sure, we could just find the right board for the application, right?

i don't know if it's possible, been trying to get to my notes about ohms law to see if it's even possible, but i'd like to battery power a ceramic heating element, kind of a battery powered LSV, but I think 15 watt ceramic heating element is the smallest i can find that might work

VWFringe,
Top Bottom