1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

Bassist looking to build vape into his rig

Discussion in 'DIY' started by rhcp1253, Aug 1, 2014.

1. rhcp1253

rhcp1253 New Member

I suffer from some aggressive rheumatological disease which causes joint pain and inflammation. I've been managing my pain with cannabis for the last year. I play bass and vaporize with an mflb. I play for long periods of time with bands and when I practice, and find it inconvenient to have to stop playing to vape every 10 minutes (I keep a very light buzz to keep my head as clear as possible when playing)

I would like to build a vaporizer into my setup. I was thinking some form of foot switch (next to my effects pedals) and a long tube going along with my guitar cable and into my mouth when I want it

I could either build the vape from scratch or do something with the mflb, but I would prefer it not running off batteries (and don't have the $$ for the PA)
    Any suggestions or ideas? :)

EDIT: Sorry, I am 28, was not looking where I was typing :p

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
    blakeisbaked likes this.
  2. MichaelAB

MichaelAB Member

Hey, fellow bassist. I like your thinking.

The foot-switch idea is a good one. I'm imagining a custom-something that would fit on a heavy or weighted mic stand; the power cord/foot-switch combo would be the hazard concern, same as a corded mic. And it could be easily moved.

You could build the foot switch into an empty pedal for some cool aesthetic. If you're good with electronics or know someone who is, you could even incorporate the foot switch into an old Wah Pedal for variable control (i.e. adjustable PA).

Unless you're resourceful and/or know some folks, I could see this getting expensive quickly. It'd be pretty damn cool, though.

I see that the PA2 is out of your budget just now. But when/if you could swing that expense, some kind of rigged on/off switch on the floor could be pretty easy; with the PA already dialed in to where you want it, all you'd need to do is hit the foot switch on. You could even just use a simple power strip with a light that comes on when On - maybe glue something onto the switch to make it a little easier to hit with your foot(?).

3. tuk

tuk Well-Known Member

Any kind of vape building, guitar modding etc is going to get expensive really quick.

I would go for a balloon vape, if you don't want to stop playing to vape...then small rucksack(day bag) on your back with balloon inside, mouth organ holder holding the valve ...hose between valve & balloon.

KISS.

4. Been Vapin

Been Vapin Crushing it for years

Herr is some inspiration,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. paytonpenn

paytonpenn Level 30 Nature/Healer

Sounds cheaper to just get a VaporGenie, otherwise I would make a quick setup with the mflb draw whip. But in my opinion if you don't have funds to get a PA how could you afford making a vape? But I could be reading it wrong.

What's wrong with batteries?

RUDE BOY, thesoloman and sasNW like this.
  6. rhcp1253

rhcp1253 New Member

I meant more along the lines of stringing some mesh in a chamber and using mflb batteries. Basically a mflb spread out lol.

At work right now so don't have my tubes, but I just thought about wrapping the mflb around my armpit area of my left arm so the tube goes up my shoulder. I could activate it by closing my armpit, pushing the battery in.
    Sorry for the bad sentence structure, pretty medicated

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2014
  7. CarolKing

CarolKing Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur

Wouldn't it be easier to eat some edibles beforehand? You would need to get your dosing down. You wouldn't want to over do it. :evil:Can be a bit tricky. Especially since you are working. Having a good time doing it, for sure. Then use a vape when you have your break to top things off. I'm with getting a VaporGenie. Some folks don't like the idea of a butane lighter.

RUDE BOY likes this.
  8. RUDE BOY

RUDE BOY Space is the Place

I agree wholeheartedly, then you have to run it through your mxr m288 and get a little higher.

:evil:....:rockon:

blakeisbaked likes this.
  9. Grim Chiclets

Grim Chiclets Well-Known Member

if you use racks for effects, you could build a rack mountable one with a Hakko element :p

IIRC there was a rackmount vape that was basically "vaporware" :cool:

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors