Banger heat up / cool down time

Likes2vape

What’s everyone favorite heat up / cool down times when using a quartz banger? How do you clean it afterwards?

I have a cheapo China 4mm think banger and a propane torch. I have found a heat up of 35 seconds and a cool down of 35 seconds seems to be about the sweet spot for me.

I qtip any excess oil out fill the banger with water and qtip any baked on goods. Every 3-4 dabs I clean the banger in iso. So far no chazzing and still looks almost new. Going on 3 weeks now.

VapourHaze

Rexcornish on IG, Vaping since '02
Mine is pretty thick base, around 4mm id guess. I heat my banger right up but keep it under red hot. Then leave around 1.05 for shatter , 1.15 for full melt

Likes2vape

I am more on the low temp side, 30 secs. of torching and 60 secs cool down :) (CCG Banger / GT8000 Torch)
I think the torch has a lot to do with timing. The GT8000 is a bad ass torch it probably gets the banger hotter quicker than my propane torch resulting in a longer cool down time.
Mine is pretty thick base, around 4mm id guess. I heat my banger right up but keep it under red hot. Then leave around 1.05 for shatter , 1.15 for full melt
This used to be my method too but someone on reddit pointed out why heat longer/cool longer than necessary. They recommend the 30-35 second heat up with around the same cool down time. It’s been working great for me so far on a 4mm thick banger.

iloveCBD

Manufacturer
Get it red, wait 30-40 seconds. I then low temp dab! I clean by getting it back to red and letting it cool down by itself.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I'm of limited experience, but I've found that about 30-35 seconds heat (till I see just a tiny bit of glow in the corner), then around 45-55 seconds cool-down.

I'm using a cheap $20 local-headshop flat, gavel-style banger.

Ramahs,

VapourHaze

Rexcornish on IG, Vaping since '02
I think the torch has a lot to do with timing. The GT8000 is a bad ass torch it probably gets the banger hotter quicker than my propane torch resulting in a longer cool down time.

This used to be my method too but someone on reddit pointed out why heat longer/cool longer than necessary. They recommend the 30-35 second heat up with around the same cool down time. It’s been working great for me so far on a 4mm thick banger.

Yes i just cant be fussed to time heat ups as well. I just make sure its full temp but not red hot so as to not chaz my banger. Also i have a 1 minute glass sand timer so thats perfect for my method.

Also i use Liger at home so don't even really use traditional banger v often.

VapourHaze,

davesmith

Glass Blower
Either 10 on 20 off or full heat 1 min cool down. Im rocking a pretty bizzare banger tho.
On my standard thermal heat to just below glow and 50 secs cool seems to work.

Also just dropping a glob in cold and heating super slowly with a wide gentle flame works wonderfully.
Or... heat evenly, allow to cool below dab temp, drop in dab and do 3 sec bursts with the carb on. Im able to get 3 tasty small hits from whst id normally dab in 1

davesmith,

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I have a flat-top gavel-style banger. This is an image of my budget rig, with the banger I'm talking about:
sxcBVzM.jpg

It's just a cheapo Chinese (I assume) banger I got at my local headshop for $20.

I heat it for 30-35 seconds, and cool for 50-55 seconds. But I'm a bit of a n00b with concentrates, and am still experimenting with my timing. Also, this is my first banger, which I've already made many noobie mistakes with and chazzed all up (took the wrong advice about "seasoning" it) on the bottom.

I need to get other bangers and experiment more.

Last edited:
Ramahs,

bizwaxzion

Enigmatic Cannabist
I'm in the 30/30 camp also on chinese bangers for direct use. Mostly 24/25mm flat tops like the one pictured above - just don't care for the slant top ones included with most china rigs (I save those to heat up and thrown in cold water at parties). I'll heat a 4mm bottom for 45s if I'm dropping an insert, 2mm bottoms get 30s with no cool down if dropping an insert. There are times when I need to reheat a bit - so I figure I'm on the lower limits of required heating. I'm still a noob at this, but love the ritual of dabbing. I hate coughing and, while learning, had some really hot dabs. The torch used has a lot to do with timing - the blazer does put out some heat - I've actually been considering a heat gun. Lately I've been holding the hot banger under my chin while cooling to get a "feeling" for the proper temp. I q-tip after each dab and soak overnight in a 50/50 mix of dark crystal and 99% iso every week or so. One of these bangers is about 6 months old and still comes out spotless.

@Ramahs - where did you get your bubble cap? I got one from mlglass with a thermal banger that's just ok and I'm always looking for something better. I've got that same dab mat too! :rockon:

bizwaxzion,
Top Bottom