AVB question

Kriya

Howdy folks, it's nice to be finally joining in the conversation in here instead of just trolling ;)
Anyhoo- I'm finding myself rather perturbed this evening as I attempted to make a batch of coconut canna oil & am pretty sure now that I really screwed it up somewhere along the line.
For previous batches (that were all maaaaybe 1/4 the size of today's batch), I used a teeny reusable muslin teabag. But- since I was deathly ill over the summer (I even spent almost a month in the hospital), my avb has been piling up & tonight when I decided to finally make my next batch of oil, I decided to use all of it. I apparently got some instructions confused or crosswired along the way cuz right now? Oi, it's such a state I've already cried over it.
Here's what I did-
I took all the avb I've been saving- between a cup and a cup & a half, along with a couple muslin tea bags with a couple spoons avb in each from previous much smaller batches and put it in my brand new small crock pot (bought just days ago for this specific purpose). I also decided that the recipes with the water bath sounded intriguing, so along with the abv that I crushed pretty much to a rough powder with the back of a spoon, I added the coconut oil & then a bunch of water.

That last piece was a new step for me & based on what my kitchen now looks like because I tried this water way? Oi.
The worst part is that now that it's been in the crock pot all day & it's time get caps made, the WHOLE bunch of it is in the most perplexing state I've ever witnessed...
It's like the ground up avb is just sponging the water right up. It's been in the crock pot like this on low for 12-14hrs, and so far as I can tell the oil isn't readily separating from the plant matter. It's really soaking the water up too. I tried scooping it out into a makeshift cheesecloth filter but ayeayeaye that really wasn't cooperating.
Now? Now I'm afraid that because I mixed the avb, the coconut oil, AND a bunch of water right from the very go, I'm never going to gets oil separated again :(

I'm rather desperately hoping someone has some good news that turns my current mess into a beautiful batch of cured canna oil (mostly for caps)? Can I save this batch somehow or did I just waste 6months worth of avb?

Kriya,

killick

But I like it!
@Kriya I don't think you have a problem. You just need to pour the entire contents through a strainer into a bowl and put the bowl in the fridge to cool down. The oil will separate from the water and come out in a large disc floating on the water. Drain the water and there's your oil, in a block.

killick,

puddleglum

Another option (and this is what I actually do) is the exact same thing you did, except put the oil+herb inside a sealed mason jar, sitting in the water bath inside the slow cooker. This accomplishes the exact same goal in terms of controlling the temperature, but with the advantage that the oil and water don't mix. :)

puddleglum,

killick

But I like it!
Funny - just saw a recipe on Youtube for making MJ-infused E-juice for cigarette vapes that is done just like that!

killick,
Top Bottom