Autism & Cannabis

Jiltut

Hey there, I'm curious as to peoples personal experience with the use of Cannabis to help ease some of the difficulties that come with being Autistic in any way.

It'd also be nice to hear off people who know people who have any form of Autism - friend, son, daughter or relatives.. & there view on how they cope without & when using Cannabis in any form are there any benefits or any negatives you can see & what are they in your opinion?

I ask the last part because I have Autism but a lot of the time I'm unaware of how I am from day to day/week to week unless I have just experienced something very recent that I can tie against my normal state of functioning.

Jiltut,
Reactions: Jurkone

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
I don't have Autism, but I am curious about this as well. I have a friend who is Autistic, and I'd like to know if it might help him.

Vicki,

djonkoman

I do have some characteristiques that are similar to autism, and someone once suggested I had aserger but after reading on some autismforums I don't agree with that, was especialy surprised by how much suicidetalk and deressive atmosphere there was on those forums, wich is absolutely not me, and I miss the most important part of autism, I have plenty of friends
but if I look at how I was as a child(elementary) I fitted the description of asperger a lot better, but went trough a change during highschool(starting with weed was also a part of that change)

if I do have a mild case(wich isn't sure at all as explaied above, and even if I do I don't want to know since it can only have negative consequences), I would say it helps. personally weed has helped me a lot socially, I've met a lot of friends from smoking together, often friends of friends but in some cases also strangers(but most strangers I smoke with is just one time and never see them after)
also if you smoke(or vape ofcourse) together it doesn't matter that you don't know eachother that well or that long, it's just like you're with good friends who you already know for a longer time
and usually stoners are friendly and easy to get along with

also being high makes me more comfortable with being socialy uncomfortable, it doesn't matter if you don't behave like you should, you can just think fuck it I don't care, if you act weird people will just think it's because you're high/a stoner even if you're sober

djonkoman,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
I would imagine it would depend on the individual's level of functionality and the severity of their disorder. I am assuming that you, Jiltut, were labeled as "high functioning?"

I have background working with children with Autism and have a very good friend, age 18, who has Autism. I would have a hard time believing that the majority of the children/young adults/adults with Autism that I have met would benefit from marijuana. But, I could be wrong. I'm no scientist. One thing I will say is that in the last 10 years, the number of cases of Autism have risen significantly. I personally think that the spectrum has suffered the same fate that ADHD did back about 20 years ago when many children were lumped into that category who really were not afflicted with the disorder. So, perhaps many who have been diagnosed with Autism actually have a different type of disorder. Some of those disorders may very well benefit from marijuana. :2c:

momofthegoons,

Jiltut

I guess I should post my experience so far, I did try some chocolate Cannabis edibles a couple of times in the near past that I managed to get off someone I knew - lucky one off, I broke them up into quarters (though once I ate a whole one after a couple of days because I thought it was having less of an effect & I ended up having to lay down on the couch that was interesting & that state certainly didn't help lol). I can only really tell you little bits of the picture, I can't remember/explain the full but here goes.

*One big plus for me was the increase in my appetite or thoughts of eating - normally I just forget about food & get lost in whatever I'm obsessed with or whatever I happen to be doing, which a lot of the time includes the computer/internet.
*Fruit smelt amazing! I could smell the Strawberries as soon as I opened the fridge I ate them for the first time ever, they tasted totally amazing! the texture didn't even bother me which is usually the case with fruit & veg, I don't even have the words to describe how good they were, it was something else.

*I also felt a lot more motivated to do stuff - move around, dance about & felt like I was so much closer to the normal wavelength of communication when I was around people, like I could talk with people without getting stuck trying to find words to express myself, I found little things more funny & amusing, everything sort of had a smooth flow of connections in my brain & I wasn't left searching for a word when trying responding to people conversation.

*Time slowed down so I was closer to the speed of "normal" people, this was a very big thing to me because times goes incredibly fast for me, it felt like I had extra time to do stuff so I was less confused if I suddenly had to do something that included more than one step.

#Negatives - too much variation one day I took it I felt I could function much better than usual another day it sometimes made me quite tired mentally & physically, the tiredness never hit me at the start so I don't know if that was from taking it every day or what?

Jiltut,

Jiltut

Yeah you're right about the depressive atmosphere on Autism forums djonkoman, it's not good hanging around on them too much, but some people are really nice & it's good to see that other people deal with some similar frustrations to yourself & tips on how to cope with life better. Some people with Autism have plenty of friends, I guess it just depends how bad you have it, how you were brought up & the luck of the draw to the type of people you come in contact with growing up etc...

Interesting the change you went through during high school while using Cannabis, they say that your brain is always evolving & I guess it does so mostly through teenage years, so by using something like Cannabis or any other social lubricant & having more social contact & communication during that time maybe it sets you up to be more able in those areas when you're older.

momofthegoons said:
I would imagine it would depend on the individual's level of functionality and the severity of their disorder. I am assuming that you, Jiltut, were labeled as "high functioning?"

momofthegoons I was labelled with Autism, I was told I was probably somewhere near the middle of the spectrum, I guess I'm high functioning because I have average IQ? though I have a learning disability too, not sure what the criteria is, I've just experienced the feeling of myself this last year, before then life was one never ending blur of hell. I agree different disorders are getting diagnosed as Autism probably because Autism is so well known, it's sort of the media whore of developmental conditions. People seem to forget Autism isn't just one specific condition though, to have Autism doesn't mean to have a single specific gene abnormality or any specific marker, it's just a word to describe a set of impairments, it could be caused by any sort congenital brain damage, toxic environmental exposure in fetus etc.

Jiltut,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Just the fact that you can type and get your point across as well as you do shows me that you are high function as language is often a problem for people with Autism. Also, the average IQ. In Asperger's Syndrome, one will often find a very high IQ. I don't doubt that you have Autism; rather pointing out that many have been misdiagnosed.

I am glad to hear that you feel cannabis helps you in certain situations. Fun that you enjoyed strawberries for the first time. I would imagine that the smell was intoxicating. :D My friend with Autism has very heightened senses of smell, touch, and hearing. I also think your perspective on how people are brought up having an effect on their social skills is spot on.

I hope you find some answers here on the forum. And I would advise you to take it slow with your usage. Easy does it until you can find the dosage that suits you.

edit to add: They still haven't figured out what causes Autism. They now know it wasn't the immunizations (finally!). Genetics could play a part, as well as environmental factors. Whether or not alcohol during pregnancy would play a part; I don't know. I don't think that has ever been thought of as a factor for Autism, although it can cause retardation.

momofthegoons,
Reactions: farscaper

Bon Dog

my little bro has autism and smokes pot, tbh i think it helps him in some ways but in some ways it makes him worse

Bon Dog,

Jiltut

momofthegoons said:
Just the fact that you can type and get your point across as well as you do shows me that you are high function as language is often a problem for people with Autism. Also, the average IQ. In Asperger's Syndrome, one will often find a very high IQ. I don't doubt that you have Autism; rather pointing out that many have been misdiagnosed.

I am glad to hear that you feel cannabis helps you in certain situations. Fun that you enjoyed strawberries for the first time. I would imagine that the smell was intoxicating. :D My friend with Autism has very heightened senses of smell, touch, and hearing. I also think your perspective on how people are brought up having an effect on their social skills is spot on.

I hope you find some answers here on the forum. And I would advise you to take it slow with your usage. Easy does it until you can find the dosage that suits you.

edit to add: They still haven't figured out what causes Autism. They now know it wasn't the immunizations (finally!). Genetics could play a part, as well as environmental factors. Whether or not alcohol during pregnancy would play a part; I don't know. I don't think that has ever been thought of as a factor for Autism, although it can cause retardation.

"If you've met one person with autism, you've only met one person with autism" that's what they say momofgoons, there are far more people with Autism not defined as Aspergers with varying degrees of ability, but defined as high fucntioning than people with an Aspergers diagnosis. They are doing away with the Aspergers label now so perhaps it won't be so trendy for people to get a diagnosis of it if they don't actually have it, I could post a video of someone who told me they had Aspergers on a forum & if she's got it then my god everyone has it unless she's an award winning actress. I find my dad to be a bit weird so maybe it's partly genetic partly something else for me, I feel like I was born with a broken brain.

Jiltut,

Jiltut

Bon Dog said:
my little bro has autism and smokes pot, tbh i think it helps him in some ways but in some ways it makes him worse

In what ways do you think it helps in? & what ways does it make him worse?

And yep I'm taking it incredibly slow momofthegoons I believe it was probably over 4 months ago or so when I tried the edibles & it was for just over a week or two, I want to try vaping now because I'd prefer more control but I don't know if it'll work as well? Maybe I can figure out best dose & variety quicker as in more Indica or Sativa, I keep hearing that there can be a fair bit of variation between different strains but until we get dispensaries over here then I won't be able to tell.

It's down to you guys in the US to keep on leading the way in all things Cannabis, usually whatever you do we follow so still hoping that's the case with Medical Cannabis, still a long way to go though as a lot of people over here still see this as something that'll turn you mad thanks to constant bullshit from the media. :peace:

Jiltut,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
"If you've met one person with autism, you've only met one person with autism"

This is such a true statement. While there may be similarities, every person I have met with Autism is a unique person with unique abilities.

I feel like I was born with a broken brain.

While people with Autism face challenges that we "typical" people can only imagine, I also feel they were given some gifts that we weren't. Heightened awareness being one of them. I would love to see Autism called something other than a disability.

I do think vaping would give you more control than edibles. But again, easy does it. There's a fine line that can be crossed between medicated and high as a kite. :2c:

momofthegoons,
Reactions: farscaper

Jiltut

momofthegoons said:
"If you've met one person with autism, you've only met one person with autism"

This is such a true statement. While there may be similarities, every person I have met with Autism is a unique person with unique abilities.

I feel like I was born with a broken brain.

While people with Autism face challenges that we "typical" people can only imagine, I also feel they were given some gifts that we weren't. Heightened awareness being one of them. I would love to see Autism called something other than a disability.

I do think vaping would give you more control than edibles. But again, easy does it. There's a fine line that can be crossed between medicated and high as a kite. :2c:

Yeah well I find it pretty damn disabling when I can't be around more than a couple of people I know & not in a new atmosphere/situation because I feel overwhelmed to the point I can't even talk after just a few minutes - obviously this isn't the case if communication isn't needed. Cannabis is strange because it heightens some of my awareness of certain things but at the other time it makes me feel far less overloaded, it's like all the parts of brain join together there is a smoothness instead of this constant skip & backlog of information. Life has been hell enough, I'd hate to see how life would be if they didn't class it as a disability unless they happened to accommodate people with it properly.

Jiltut,
Reactions: grokit

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Thank you for that insight Jiltut. I'm sorry if I upset you with my comment. What I meant was that I wish it was more accepted when people are different. I wasn't trying to minimize the difficulties you face. I do realize that it is a disability. I just wish that people viewed it in a different, more positive light.

momofthegoons,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
If you want a story that tugs at your heart strings, read up on this guys story - www.alexneedshelp.com

Cannabis showed more promise than any other medication they gave him, but sadly the home they have to keep him in cannot administer it. :/

Its a tough story to read from start to finish, but very interesting nonetheless.

AGBeer,

GO!!bot

Wow i work with a little guy with autism, i had no idea mmj had been used with them. Interesting

GO!!bot,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
AGBeer said:
If you want a story that tugs at your heart strings, read up on this guys story - www.alexneedshelp.com

Cannabis showed more promise than any other medication they gave him, but sadly the home they have to keep him in cannot administer it. :/

Its a tough story to read from start to finish, but very interesting nonetheless.

Even tougher when you watch the videos. It breaks my heart to see him hurting himself. You can see the anguish he's going through. It was so wonderful to see Alex smiling, laughing and interacting after he had ingested some cannabis. Really some compelling stuff.

momofthegoons,

lwien

I dug up this old thread because I wasn't quite sure where to put this. I know that there was some lengthy discussion with graphs where you could plot out where you fell within the autism scale but for the life of me, I can't remember where it was. (Mods, if you know where it is, please feel free to move this post there.)

Be that as it may, I just ran across this that some may find kind of interesting:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
While speaking to Brian Williams about the new season of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee, Jerry Seinfeld discussed his belief that he displays attributes consistent with autism-spectrum disorders.

“I think, on a very drawn out scale, I’m on the spectrum,” Seinfeld told the NBC Nightly News host. He then elaborated about what exactly he has noticed that indicates to him he may be on the autism spectrum. “[I'm] never paying attention to the right things,” Seinfeld said. “Basic social engagement is really a struggle. I’m very literal. When people talk to me and use expressions, I don’t know what they’re saying.”

Seinfeld went on to say that he doesn’t view this self-diagnosis as dysfunctional. “I just think of it as an alternate mindset,” he said.

The comedian discussed this belief in relation to why he loves comedians and spends so much time with them. When he’s not in his car with fellow comedians, Seinfeld is still known to pop up in comedy clubs around New York City.
—-http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/11/07/jerry-seinfeld-brian-williams-autism-spectrum-disorder-interview
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

farscaper

I dug up this old thread because I wasn't quite sure where to put this. I know that there was some lengthy discussion with graphs where you could plot out where you fell within the autism scale but for the life of me, I can't remember where it was. (Mods, if you know where it is, please feel free to move this post there.)

Be that as it may, I just ran across this that some may find kind of interesting:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
While speaking to Brian Williams about the new season of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee, Jerry Seinfeld discussed his belief that he displays attributes consistent with autism-spectrum disorders.

“I think, on a very drawn out scale, I’m on the spectrum,” Seinfeld told the NBC Nightly News host. He then elaborated about what exactly he has noticed that indicates to him he may be on the autism spectrum. “[I'm] never paying attention to the right things,” Seinfeld said. “Basic social engagement is really a struggle. I’m very literal. When people talk to me and use expressions, I don’t know what they’re saying.”

Seinfeld went on to say that he doesn’t view this self-diagnosis as dysfunctional. “I just think of it as an alternate mindset,” he said.

The comedian discussed this belief in relation to why he loves comedians and spends so much time with them. When he’s not in his car with fellow comedians, Seinfeld is still known to pop up in comedy clubs around New York City.
—-http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/11/07/jerry-seinfeld-brian-williams-autism-spectrum-disorder-interview
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
it was in the lounge area...

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/aspergers-syndrome-mmj.13471/

couldnt help remembering lol.

btw. awesome find!

farscaper,
Reactions: lwien

mikencolo

Hey there, I'm curious as to peoples personal experience with the use of Cannabis to help ease some of the difficulties that come with being Autistic in any way.

It'd also be nice to hear off people who know people who have any form of Autism - friend, son, daughter or relatives.. & there view on how they cope without & when using Cannabis in any form are there any benefits or any negatives you can see & what are they in your opinion?

I ask the last part because I have Autism but a lot of the time I'm unaware of how I am from day to day/week to week unless I have just experienced something very recent that I can tie against my normal state of functioning.

My nephew is severely autistic but as he is ten...enough said there. i however as an adult was diagnosed years ago as having ADHD only to find last summer i was misdiagnosed and should have been classified as high functioning autistic as if i don't have enough on my plate. i find indica and a few indica dominant hybrids to help calm things down. Helps keep me from getting overwhelmed by everything. regardless NEVER ever will i use a sativa as it doesn't help rather it makes things substantially worse. based on your description i would suggest for you to try a pure indica first (i live in CO so it's okay here but where you live?) steer clear of edibles. do vape or smoke and start out in small doses. do this ONLY when you have an entire day with nothing you need to do just to be on the safe side. again it all depends upon where you live but good luck whatever you do.

mikencolo,
Reactions: grokit
Top Bottom