Attention Ti Users: Titanium dioxide carcinogenic

aero18

vaporist
Titanium Dioxide Classified as Possibly Carcinogenic to Humans

Titanium dioxide has recently been classified by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) as an IARC Group 2B carcinogen ''possibly carcinogen to humans''. Titanium dioxide accounts for 70% of the total production volume of pigments worldwide. It is widely used to provide whiteness and opacity to products such as paints, plastics, papers, inks, foods, and toothpastes. It is also used in cosmetic and skin care products, and it is present in almost every sunblock, where it helps protect the skin from ultraviolet light.

With such widespread use of titanium dioxide, it is important to understand that the IARC conclusions are based on very specific evidence. This evidence showed that high concentrations of pigment-grade (powdered) and ultrafine titanium dioxide dust caused respiratory tract cancer in rats exposed by inhalation and intratracheal instillation*. The series of biological events or steps that produce the rat lung cancers (e.g. particle deposition, impaired lung clearance, cell injury, fibrosis, mutations and ultimately cancer) have also been seen in people working in dusty environments. Therefore, the observations of cancer in animals were considered, by IARC, as relevant to people doing jobs with exposures to titanium dioxide dust. For example, titanium dioxide production workers may be exposed to high dust concentrations during packing, milling, site cleaning and maintenance, if there are insufficient dust control measures in place. However, it should be noted that the human studies conducted so far do not suggest an association between occupational exposure to titanium dioxide and an increased risk for cancer.
The Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) is Canada's hazard communication standard. The WHMIS Controlled Products Regulations require that chemicals, listed in Group 1 or Group 2 in the IARC Monographs on the Evaluation of the Carcinogenic Risk of Chemicals to Humans, be classified under WHMIS Class D2A (carcinogenic). The classification decision on titanium dioxide has been published on the IARC website and in a summary article published in The Lancet

Representatives from Health Canada (National Office of WHMIS) recently consulted with the Quebec CSST and CCOHS (the two main agencies providing WHMIS classifications to the public) regarding the implications of the IARC decision to the WHMIS classification of titanium dioxide. It was agreed that titanium dioxide does now meet the criteria for WHMIS D2A (carcinogen) based on the information released by IARC to date, and that it is not necessary to wait for release of the full monograph.

Manufacturers and suppliers of titanium dioxide are advised to review and update their material safety data sheets and product labels based on this new information as soon as possible. Employers should review their occupational hygiene programs to ensure that exposure to titanium dioxide dust is eliminated or reduced to the minimum possible. Workers should be educated concerning this potential newly recognized risk to their health and trained in proper work procedures.

* Intratracheal administration is an exposure procedure that introduces the material directly into the lungs via the trachea, bypassing protective mechanisms in the respiratory system.

Source: http://www.ccohs.ca/headlines/text186.html

aero18,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
This has nothing to do with smoking off of titianium from what I just read. It's stuff they add to other products notice how it never says anything on straight titanium. Just titanium dioxide. So I honestly see no relevance....

Let me guess this is what got pulled from the boil that oil thread....

minnesnowta,

aero18

vaporist
No one has seen any oxidized titanium on their curves/nails? I read that some people have had some white residues on them after prolonged use.

aero18,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
Nope never. I have oil residue on it and a slight discoloration from heat cycles but no white stuff. Maybe if your dealing with sub par ti but no reputible blower will do that.

minnesnowta,

Cappella Sistina

I am not an expert here, but there is a certain grade, at which point issues wont occur.

There have been a couple threads on T.C regarding this, most recently the good one that Merc started.(if anyone is interested in checking it)

Cappella Sistina,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
Titanium grade 1-4 are considered commercialy pure (99+%). The differences between them are the tensile stregths and stiffness of the metal. Pretty much everyone uses grade 2 (hmk, dosa, kabley, WBM, blazemaster, ect ect).

minnesnowta,

stinkmeaner

Titanium dioxide and Titanium alloy are two different mediums, that study was about the powder form of titanium dioxide which is used in foods, cosmetics, and toothpaste. Titanium is one of the few metals that is not toxic, why do you think it is so widely used in surgical implants?

stinkmeaner,

aero18

vaporist
stinkmeaner said:
Titanium dioxide and Titanium alloy are two different mediums, that study was about the powder form of titanium dioxide which is used in foods, cosmetics, and toothpaste. Titanium is one of the few metals that is not toxic, why do you think it is so widely used in surgical implants?
Surgical implants are not subject to very high temperatures that may make the metal more prone to oxidation.

EDIT: On TokeCity, people have acknowledged the presence of oxidized titanium on their nails/plates...

aero18,

Spiderman

oil baron
FWIW...

From wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium_dioxide

"Titanium dioxide is the most widely used white pigment because of its brightness and very high refractive index (n = 2.7), in which it is surpassed only by a few other materials. Approximately 4 million tons of pigmentary TiO2 are consumed annually worldwide. When deposited as a thin film, its refractive index and colour make it an excellent reflective optical coating for dielectric mirrors and some gemstones like "mystic fire topaz". TiO2 is also an effective opacifier in powder form, where it is employed as a pigment to provide whiteness and opacity to products such as paints, coatings, plastics, papers, inks, foods, medicines (i.e. pills and tablets) as well as most toothpastes. Opacity is improved by optimal sizing of the titanium dioxide particles.

Used as a white food colouring, it has E number E171. Titanium dioxide is often used to whiten skimmed milk; this has been shown statistically to increase skimmed milk's palatability.[17]

In cosmetic and skin care products, titanium dioxide is used as a pigment, sunscreen and a thickener. It is also used as a tattoo pigment and in styptic pencils. Titanium dioxide is produced in varying particle sizes, oil and water dispersable, and with varying coatings for the cosmetic industry. This pigment is used extensively in plastics and other applications for its UV resistant properties where it acts as a UV absorber, efficiently transforming destructive UV light energy into heat.

In ceramic glazes titanium dioxide acts as an opacifier and seeds crystal formation.

Titanium dioxide is found in almost every sunscreen with a physical blocker because of its high refractive index, its strong UV light absorbing capabilities and its resistance to discolouration under ultraviolet light. This advantage enhances its stability and ability to protect the skin from ultraviolet light. Sunscreens designed for infants or people with sensitive skin are often based on titanium dioxide and/or zinc oxide, as these mineral UV blockers are believed to cause less skin irritation than chemical UV absorber ingredients. The titanium dioxide particles used in sunscreens have to be coated with silica or alumina, because titanium dioxide creates radicals in the photocatalytic reaction. These radicals are carcinogenic, and could damage the skin.

Titanium dioxide is used to mark the white lines on the tennis courts of the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, best known as the venue for the annual grand slam tennis tournament The Championships, Wimbledon.[18]

The exterior of the Saturn V rocket was painted with titanium dioxide; this later allowed astronomers to determine that J002E3 was the S-IVB stage from Apollo 12 and not an asteroid.

The findings of the IARC are based on the discovery that high concentrations of pigment-grade (powdered) and ultrafine titanium dioxide dust caused respiratory tract cancer in rats exposed by inhalation and intratracheal instillation.[36] The series of biological events or steps that produce the rat lung cancers (e.g. particle deposition, impaired lung clearance, cell injury, fibrosis, mutations and ultimately cancer) have also been seen in people working in dusty environments. Therefore, the observations of cancer in animals were considered, by IARC, as relevant to people doing jobs with exposures to titanium dioxide dust. For example, titanium dioxide production workers may be exposed to high dust concentrations during packing, milling, site cleaning and maintenance, if there are insufficient dust control measures in place. However, it should be noted that the human studies conducted so far do not suggest an association between occupational exposure to titanium dioxide and an increased risk for cancer"

MacRadish

stinkmeaner said:
why do you think it is so widely used in surgical implants?
I thought it was because it's the only metal that will bond with human bone.

MacRadish,

stinkmeaner

aero18 said:
stinkmeaner said:
Surgical implants are not subject to very high temperatures that may make the metal more prone to oxidation.

EDIT: On TokeCity, people have acknowledged the presence of oxidized titanium on their nails/plates...
I can imagine and I'm sure you can to that someone might mistake leftover residue or ash for titanium dioxide, I think to make a statement like this we would need the advice of someone credible rather than a random BHO user on a message board. It would be nice if we could consult a professional like a scientist or chemist that specializes in these compounds.

stinkmeaner,

reece

On tokecity (in the one thread I read) there seems to be one person claiming to have had ti dioxide forming on his pad. He also says he can taste the metal. He also comes across as not a very civil person and he ignores any evidence that does not support his case.

Example, He claims Ti evaporates as a certain temperature and since the torches used exceed this temperature the Ti is giving off toxic fumes. A few people have pointed out that the temp of the torch does not equal the temp of the Ti. He completely ignores this common sense fact.

Any Supreme Vaporizer owner knows the aluminum block never gets as hot as the max rated temp of their torch. One guy at TC mentioned he has burned himself a number of times with hot Ti and if it were to reach the temperature b@s@k claims, he would have need medical attention. I have burned myself more than a few times with my SV and the torch used to heat it. I don't think I could have just "walked it off" if it was getting hot enough to weld with. But maybe I'm wrong.

A couple of people even checked the temp of their Ti and it was no where near the evaporation temperature. He ignores this also.

He also equates heating Ti to welding Ti. Actually, he says one will inhale more toxic Ti fumes from inhaling BHO than from welding Ti. He dismissed the fact that the temps reached heating a Ti pad with a butane torch is far lower than temps reached when welding.

reece,

Cappella Sistina

reece said:
On tokecity (in the one thread I read) there seems to be one person claiming to have had ti dioxide forming on his pad. He also says he can taste the metal. He also comes across as not a very civil person and he ignores any evidence that does not support his case.

Example, He claims Ti evaporates as a certain temperature and since the torches used exceed this temperature the Ti is giving off toxic fumes. A few people have pointed out that the temp of the torch does not equal the temp of the Ti. He completely ignores this common sense fact.

Any Supreme Vaporizer owner knows the aluminum block never gets as hot as the max rated temp of their torch. One guy at TC mentioned he has burned himself a number of times with hot Ti and if it were to reach the temperature b@s@k claims, he would have need medical attention. I have burned myself more than a few times with my SV and the torch used to heat it. I don't think I could have just "walked it off" if it was getting hot enough to weld with. But maybe I'm wrong.

A couple of people even checked the temp of their Ti and it was no where near the evaporation temperature. He ignores this also.

He also equates heating Ti to welding Ti. Actually, he says one will inhale more toxic Ti fumes from inhaling BHO than from welding Ti. He dismissed the fact that the temps reached heating a Ti pad with a butane torch is far lower than temps reached when welding.
You just a spent a lot of time, trying to relay someone else's misconceptions/misunderstandings.

lol

Cappella Sistina,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
Yup it's just like the brass discussion. Except it's PURE ti. Your no where near getting hot enough for the ti to start off gasing. This thread should just be closed because it's pointless....

minnesnowta,

aero18

vaporist
stinkmeaner said:
aero18 said:
stinkmeaner said:

I can imagine and I'm sure you can to that someone might mistake leftover residue or ash for titanium dioxide, I think to make a statement like this we would need the advice of someone credible rather than a random BHO user on a message board. It would be nice if we could consult a professional like a scientist or chemist that specializes in these compounds.
This is why I decided to post the information here. Hopefully someone who has any connections to biochemists/chemists may chime in.

For the moment, I am a pretty skeptical that titanium dioxide may pose any risk to Ti plate/nail users.

minnesnowta said:
Yup it's just like the brass discussion. Except it's PURE ti. Your no where near getting hot enough for the ti to start off gasing. This thread should just be closed because it's pointless....
I don't see how Ti vaporization is required for oxidation. Iron oxidizes readily at STP, there is no need for it to ever reach its boiling point to rust. Applied heat would simply increase the rate of oxidation.

Also, isn't alloyed Ti more resistant to oxidation than the pure substance?

aero18,

reece

Cappella Sistina said:
You just a spent a lot of time, trying to relay someone else's misconceptions/misunderstandings.

lol
Well, when you put it that way...:lol:

But, that's not what I'm trying to do. Maybe I should have quoted aero's post about some people at TC. But whatever, it was a waste of time regardless.

reece,

lwien

minnesnowta said:
It is? I don't think that this thread is pointless nor do I think that the brass thread was pointless. There is absolutely nothing wrong in any of us questioning the materials that we use to ingest our bud. These threads can be very informative, and I for one, will take any opportunity to learn something about something that I never knew, so no, this thread should not be closed nor is it pointless.

lwien,

stinkmeaner

Where is a Metallurgist when you need one? I think we all picked the wrong career.

stinkmeaner,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
From wiki:
"However, it is slow to react with water and air, because it forms a passive and protective oxide coating that protects it from further reaction.[2] When it first forms, this protective layer is only 12 nm thick but continues to slowly grow; reaching a thickness of 25nm in four years.[15] When exposed to elevated temperatures in air, however, it readily reacts with oxygen.[2]
This occurs at 1,200C (2,190F) in air, and at 610C (1,130F) in pure oxygen, forming titanium dioxide.[7] As a result, the metal cannot be melted in open air since it burns before the melting point is reached. Melting is only possible in an inert atmosphere or in a vacuum. At 550C (1,022F), it combines with chlorine.[3] It also reacts with the other halogens and absorbs hydrogen.[4]
Titanium is also one of the few elements that burns in pure nitrogen gas, reacting at 800C (1,470F) to form titanium nitride, which causes embrittlement.[16]"

Butane torches are 2500*f at their hottest point and with a flame that small you'd never be able to heat something up to he full 2500.

Now if you had access to a glass blowing torch or something larger you may be able to heat it up hot enough. I wouldn't worry about it

I've just seen this question multiple times on this site allready....

minnesnowta,

aero18

vaporist
minnesnowta said:
When exposed to elevated temperatures in air, however, it readily reacts with oxygen.[2]
This occurs at 1,200C (2,190F) in air, and at 610C (1,130F) in pure oxygen, forming titanium dioxide.[7] As a result, the metal cannot be melted in open air since it burns before the melting point is reached.

Butane torches are 2500*f at their hottest point and with a flame that small you'd never be able to heat something up to he full 2500.

Now if you had access to a glass blowing torch or something larger you may be able to heat it up hot enough. I wouldn't worry about it

I've just seen this question multiple times on this site allready....
It doesn't need to get to 2,500* F, it can just get to 2,190* F. That's over 300* F LESS.

I think if you left it to heat for too long with a propane torch or something similar (not necessarily the small butane torches), you could cause it to react quickly with oxygen to create a thin layer of oxidized titanium.

Some people should scrutinize this idea (torch a set of plates with varying lengths of heat exposure, torches strength, heat).

aero18,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
Do you get how hot 2100* is?? There's no way your even close to that under normal use. Now if someone is dumb enough to heat a pad for like 5-10 min with a propane torch maybe you could reach it but that's really frickin hot.

With a butane torch there's so much heatloss from just being in A cooler environment. I brought up the torch temp because that's the absolute hottest point of the flame. That doesn't mean that you'll be able to heat anything close to that high.

So is it possible, probaly. But if you are using shit the way it's supposed to you shouldn't have a problem. I've had my kabley for almost a year and my swing for ~6 months. I've never seen anything forming on either other than ash or seasoning from use. I'm not scared at all about it nor do I think anyone should worry about it. And if your scared of that maybe you shouldn't even be smokin bho because your runnin lighter fluid through bud then smoking it which seems way scarier than some crazy chemical that's produced at insanely high temps...

minnesnowta,
Top Bottom