AtmosRaw

kertong

*please delete me*
Haha! There's always something somewhere in your posts that gets a good guffaw out of me, OF. Don't know how you do it. :) (filing the RAW down quicker. perhaps you'd be interested if i sweetened the deal with a racing stripe of your choice color on the raw?)

Yeah, I LOVE the design on this unit. aesthetically, as well as to feel and hold. But yes, it was really disappointing because I too, was initially under the impression that it was a ceramic element. But NOPE - it is a cheap nichrome wire coiled up at the bottom of a ceramic bowl. The bowl is not a sealed ceramic bowl either, there is a hole drilled in the bottom for the nichrome wire to sit.

Once you combust without the screen, plant matter sticks to this wire. From that point on, any time the wire glows red, you recombust. This is also exactly how the heating element stuck itself via scorched plant matter to the no2 screen sitting above it. It also completely ruins the taste even if you're getting mostly vapor. Having the screen suspended 1-2mm above the heating element and sticking to bubble hash only has been the only way I've gotten good and consistent results - but since that way the heating element sits so much farther away and has the medium of air to cross, it takes much more priming, gets super hot to the touch, and runs down the battery very quickly.

And yeah, thankfully I have the dual battery omi kit. The RAW actually makes me appreciate my omicron 2x more, though now I have 1/2 the omi to love.. but yeah, disappointing that the makers themselves would tell you to stick a metal conductive screen right onto the heating element. I figured the ceramic on the sides would prevent it from grounding out but I guess it still manages to - the bright orange glow on the screen was nestled right up against the side of the ceramic bowl.

kertong,
Reactions: ogcook

OF

Haha! There's always something somewhere in your posts that gets a good guffaw out of me, OF. Don't know how you do it. :)

Thanks. Wearing feather underwear helps, it's not the whole secret, but it does help.....

Yeah, I LOVE the design on this unit. aesthetically, as well as to feel and hold. But yes, it was really disappointing because I too, was initially under the impression that it was a ceramic element. But NOPE - it is a cheap nichrome wire coiled up at the bottom of a ceramic bowl. The bowl is not a sealed ceramic bowl either, there is a hole drilled in the bottom for the nichrome wire to sit.

disappointing that the makers themselves would tell you to stick a metal conductive screen right onto the heating element. I figured the ceramic on the sides would prevent it from grounding out but I guess it still manages to - the bright orange glow on the screen was nestled right up against the side of the ceramic bowl.

I've never seen it, but even if there's a ceramic wall on the outside, if it touches two different places the screen will create a short circuit. This lowers the total resistance to some extent, either raising the current up some or sending it through the roof. The extra power tends to all show up in the same place, welding stuff, breaking stuff and so on. I recommend avoiding it.

OF

OF,

kertong

*please delete me*
Ah, makes sense, I'm not an electronics guy at all so currents and shorts are pretty voodoo for me.

I've been using this the past 3 hours again using ONLY bubble hash. Some plant matter fell back in from the mouthpiece mesh and combusted to my surprise. But after another 15 minute cleaning session, I'm back to puffing happily on bubble hash.

This thing is *way* too much work for plants unless you're ok with just smoking them. And when they combust, it's not like thick vapor - it is straight up smoke. It smells, it scratches, it stains with odor and color, ugh.. even after I take my mouth off, and release the button (sometimes it isn't even pressed), smoke continues to smolder out of the mouthpiece for a few seconds. My wife also commented that it smelled like I was straight up smoking a pipe, and she has *no* idea that this "vape" is notorious for combusting.. :(

The one last thing that can change all this, I believe, is the glass screen. It won't short, and hopefully it should be thick enough to not let plant get to combustible temps so close to the element. I don't have my hopes up too high but whatever. :) Omicron is still king of the penstyle vapes imo, and now I see there is a reason THC Sci hasn't released their herb cart yet. Hats off to you thc sci, for holding down the fort admist all the FC'ers pounding down the door demanding the herb cart. Take your time and get it right, because this combusting SUCKS. :) Fuck it!! (flipping over table)

EDIT: WTF!!! It just combusted my entire bowl of bubble hash. It has the screen in it too. I didnt even think that was possible with a small penvape like this. But no doubt.. smoldering AWFUL tasting smoke (hit me like a freight train, ugh, smoke is so f*cking terrible), allergic rhinitis in full swing now, and inspecting the bowl and mouthpiece? no plant matter anywhere.. just some bubble hash at the bottom of the bowl. God dammit... time to put this thing up on craigslist. It was fun while it lasted, and I totally accept the $200 bucks I had to eat (along with a murdered omi batt) because I had to just see for my goddamn self. :) Guess I took one for the team? Back to the omicron!

EDIT2: God, that went downhill so fast. I'm back to puffing on the omicron, and you know what's really sad? I find myself cringing as I near the 4-5 second mark of holding the power button down. I'm combustion-shy, even on a combustion-proof omicron. Gotta start using that omicron extra hard now so I don't lose my nerve... it's funny because before today, I had no real strong opinion for or against smoking. Within 6 hours I learned to DESPISE it. Thanks, AtmosRAW. When I get paid in a few more days, I'm going right back to fatty zone and picking up an omicron v2 along with some 1.5ohm carts. :)

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
Wow, thanks for all that kertong. I really feel I've been along for the ride on your voyage of discovery.

WatTyler,

GReYAReA

Amid The Vapors...
What makes no sense is they didn't engineer this thing to completion. They have the power issues solved - it gets plenty of juice. The heater is strong for its tiny size. It COULD vape very well. They just needed to spend a little more time adjusting the max temp.. or developing a nice platform the plant matter can sit on far enough away... I have a feeling the company doesn't have a lot of cannavaporists working there. Several rounds of good beta testing would have resolved this. Such potential lost..

They need to be working on V2 and asking the FC community for help test their designs..

GReYAReA,

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
You know after I finished I realized it was something I should have done. If I can get the shot from my iPhone it would be sharper. It's just hard to hold the phone and unit at the same time. Trust me it was NOT scorched or nothing on the bottom. At all.

It's funny, because every time I am happy about a product or service, people accuse me of working for them because I'm passionate about things I like. Been that way since childhood. I get it though.

People are really hating on this unit though man. It caught some bad pr cuz i guess some shipped without a screen or something. I'm not saying they can't improve upon this thing, cuz they can BUT as far as being able to move around discreetly and still do your thing, this is the best i've seen. I've tried many. And from what you saw in the video, you can get about 3 sessions like that b4 she needs a charge. 2 hours or less

Thanks for the awesome video and reviews. It does look like its working well for you.

ru_frothi,

Atmos Raw Retailer

Unapproved commercial account.
Kertong I should have thought about the screen thing becasue I shorted out a battery and chamber after sticking a volcano liquid pad to try hash oil in the raw for the first time. I didn't think a no2 screen would do the same, because its not all bunched up at the coil like that. Maybe that shorted the heating element so it burning "hot" right now, idk I have also been told the batteries have a "break in" period and then you lose some heat, but it is more steady. When I use bud I draw medium, I couldn't call it soft and I wouldn't say I'm drawing fast either, just enough so you feel a stream of air through your lips. I too am curious about the glass screen, I don't even have one in front of me or I would comment on it. That is a shame about your omicron battery, the only thing I can say about that is your atmos with work with the omicron carts. Also, the rubber band around the button is replaceable, it gets worn after awhile.

Atmos Raw Retailer,

kertong

*please delete me*
@AtmosRawRetailer: Yeah, I've thought about that! When the screen "shorts" it creates an INSTANT burst of concentrated heat on the surface of the screen, over an area about the size of a period here. <-- I'm wondering if the short is turning the NO2 screen into basically another heating element and sparking the dry herb.

Can't wait to get this glass piece... until then my friends are going to have a field day watching me cringe and shake in fear for no reason as I pull off my omicron... when I am pulling off my omicron I *know* it won't combust but after having my ass kicked a few times by unexpected combustion on the atmos, I feel EXACTLY like this guy here @ 1:00 when I'm approaching the 4-5 second mark on the omicron. I can't help cracking up thinking of this guy shaking like an epileptic @ 1:00 everytime I draw on the omicron/atmos, HAHAHAH (blindfolded guy = me, donkey = atmosRAW).

Me: "Hi Atmos, coming up on your six slowly.... here are my hands.. no furtive movements.. can i please have a little vape?"
AtmosRaw: "Sure, just come a little closer, press my button a little longer.... SURPRISE BITCH, combustion because FUCK YOU!!" *kicks you in the nuts as you're gingerly inhaling expecting vapor*

EDIT: I don't know if it's just that I'm overmedicated, but I find this clip ESPECIALLY hilarious after my endeavors with the atmosRAW all last night / this morning. I cannot put the atmosRAW experience into better words than this youtube clip does. Spot on. I've found this clip amusing before but now when I think of the donkey as the atmosRAW it has me rolling with laughter on a whole new level. Watched the clip about 20 times this morning already while puffing on my omicron, fell off the couch about 12... I even started doing that spazzy dance the 3 guys were making fun of the guy with in the background while I inhaled off the omicron/atmosraw (I call it the atmos fire dance). Perhaps I should wear a cup..

kertong,
Reactions: t-dub

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I'm pretty much only using mine for bubble now too. There was previous discussion about the screen shorting out another person's AR further back in this thread. Glad your element still works, too bad for the battery though. It seems a bit irresponsible to me that the company would suggest adding a metal screen to the end user, when shorting is an issue. Like I said before, the cost of this product does not match the quality. Granted the heat coil seems to hold up well under much abuse. I am a bit surprised that when I went through my trials with this thing I got much less of a supportive response, but oh well. I'm not here to win brownie points, I just wanted to give an honest account of my experience with this device since I did drop $200 on the damn thing.

jambandphan03,

GReYAReA

Amid The Vapors...
FWIW, Amazon has a review where someone claimed they put an IR thermometer to the Atmos, and it was hitting over 650F. There is no reason it should be heating that high..

Again, I feel like this vape had huge potential, which was just not refined to completion by the maker. I wonder how much testing they actually did on it.

GReYAReA,

kertong

*please delete me*
Just for shits and giggles, I thought it'd be funny to make a spoof video of that pin the tail on the donkey clip, but with the atmosRX so you guys can see what I mean. Yup, shot it on first try, first take, because it combusted EXACTLY like I thought it would...disgusting... and the coughing was not faked. I wanted to draw in more so I could get a lungful of smoke to show that it is def. smoke and not vapor, but as soon as it combust and touched my lungs, I had to let it out and cough. I realize on camera, smoke can look like vapor, but if vapor looks thick like smoke, it probably is. proper vapor doesn't photograph nearly as well. It's too bad you guys can't taste/smell the distinct and instant change in flavor and taste once it crosses to combustion, you can smell it from the other side of the house!

"I don't wanna do that anymore, if that's ok."

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I still think this was designed for smokers, and they didn't consider combustion until people in the vape community started complaining about it. Just my take on it. It does have huge potential. I hope they are learning from all of this and can produce a quality product some day. If they knew the buttons were so delicate, they should have included a few spares with the kit like they did with the extra springs that were in my box.Better yet, use a solid state button design, like the other e cigs use. Those have a much longer life, for something that is being pressed over and over, as well as the spinning of the heat chamber rumpling it up as you turn it, causing the band to stretch.

600+ degrees on the coil would do great for heating a ceramic disk or something similar on top of it to create a vapor chamber, but the screen idea is too risky IMO. I actually tore up the ceramic liner a bit trying to get screens in and out of mine. Much too fiddly for a basic user. I have been working with e cigs for about 3 years now, cutting them open, modding them, building them out of battery boxes etc... trying to make them work for herb and concentrates. I am no spring chicken when it comes to working with these kind of devices/batteries so I feel I have some grounds of confidence in my experience with the AR. Right now Atmos should be Almost... good try guys.

jambandphan03,

kertong

*please delete me*
Ok, I don't know why I keep giving this thing a second (or third, or fourth, tenth) chance, but I really want to like this thing. I really do. Maybe it's because it cost me $200, maybe it's because I love the *idea* of what it has promised me.

Anyways, after atmosrawretailer suggested that the short itself can act as the incendiary spark to combust (which makes complete sense, I saw the no2 screen glowing bright orange on the edges in certain spots), I went back to tinkering.

Realizing that a lot of the repeat-combustion happens from the leftover remants sticking on the coil or hot shorted screen, I gave it another try after vigorous cleaning (to start off a 'clean slate' so to speak), and learned three things.

1) if you combust in this thing, even just ONCE, you need to take it completely apart, scrub it down REALLY clean, or else it'll just combust again and again and again.
2) Don't push the no2 screen down to the bottom. Not even close. I pushed it in just until the "lip" of the no2 screen was just underneath the rim of the ceramic chamber edges on top.
3) Prime, prime, prime. Now that the no2 screen suspends the herb so far away from the heating element (I reckon its about 2-3mm), it takes quite a bit more battery power and heat to start vaping. This reduces the battery life (one of the strengths of this unit), down to below-market levels. Using the atmosRAW this way, it needs to be recharged about every 2 hours / 5-6 bowls.

However, I've finally achieved a satisfactory bowl. Check out the picture below. On the left is the bowl from the atmosraw after 4-5 pulls. On the right is the bowl from my DBV with the dial set to 1:30, about 4-5 pulls, *no stirring*. Seems comparable, but the DBV was way easier and less scary of getting kicked in the junk by combustion.

Conclusion: it was too *way* too much fucking work, hours of sleep lost, precious medicine wasted, to get passable (not great, but average) results. Lot of work, unit is hot to touch and hold when it is vaping right, and the rubber button is way too flimsy.

Ok, I'll shut up about the atmosraw now, I think I've pretty much gotten it to as good as it can get. atmosRAW has yet to reply to my customer support email about the free glass screens they claim they ship out.

ZaSUQ.jpg

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Ok, I don't know why I keep giving this thing a second (or third, or fourth, tenth) chance, but I really want to like this thing. I really do. Maybe it's because it cost me $200, maybe it's because I love the *idea* of what it has promised me.

That is pretty much why I think I still visit this thread I guess... I do still use the AR on my bubbler with bubble hash, no screen. Yes it is combusting my hash, I am ok with this as I filter it with water at least. Solo has become my main vape now. It works beautifully.

jambandphan03,
Reactions: kertong

kertong

*please delete me*
It's funny, I was also a solo owner. As I kept fiddling with this atmosRAW I kept remembering how much easier and safer it was in the solo, with such awesome flavor and clean, satisfying vapor. Loved that solo, kind of miss it now. :) I used to make herb sammiches in them - fill the stem with a tiny bed of herb, then sprinkle in a mix of hash/wax solids, then another bed of herb. mmmm.

Not my video but for the ones who haven't seen an atmosRAW in person in detail, this one shows it well, with and without the "screen".

kertong,
Reactions: rufrothy

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I just ran across that vid yesterday, and tried using that screen method, as opposed to cutting a tiny disk and dropping it down into the chamber which is what I was doing at first. I never got ANY vapor,the unit just got hot and I got tired of jacking with it. People are not going to want to have to work so hard to get wisps of vapor, plain and simple.

**started my day with a solo herb kif sandwich :brow:

kertong

*please delete me*
I just ran across that vid yesterday, and tried using that screen method, as opposed to cutting a tiny disk and dropping it down into the chamber which is what I was doing at first. I never got ANY vapor,the unit just got hot and I got tired of jacking with it. People are not going to want to have to work so hard to get wisps of vapor, plain and simple.

yeah, that was the same problem I had, which is why I kept pushing the screen down further and further. Once it starts vaping, you're also in combustion territory, seems there's no way to avoid it :(

kertong,
Reactions: rufrothy

jambandphan03

in flavor country
yeah, I think the screen is too porous, too much heat gets through, once it does heat up, and causes combustion. Some kind of thin, heat conducting material like ceramic or glass would probably do better, as long as you can still get air flow. Cross the solder free ceramic disk design of the thermovape Revolution with the spiral coil design to add more even heating across the disk, and I think in theory that is where it will be at. Like an upside down vapor genie.

if they can suspend a nail inside of glass to heat up for dabs, why couldn't you in theory, suspend the heat coil inside glass and create a sort of hot nail effect when it lights up??

jambandphan03,

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
Wow, thanks for all that kertong. I really feel I've been along for the ride on your voyage of discovery.

Read every word. I owe you one Kertong.....

There is certainly some voodoo with some vapes. To this day I still have no luck with the MFLB, it just does not medicate me. I can't imagine combusting it doesn't get hot enough it seems but many complain of that. My first MFLB was too cold. who knows about #2 but it doesn't work for me. yet, I know many people really like the little box. ?????

Kertong, obviously has learned some tricky vapes in the past (omicron and MFLB). Knowing that, I certainly would probably have issues. I'm the idiot who stuck his finger in the Solo crucible. Only once though :)

I wonder if there is some extreme variation in the coils on these things that might create some unit to unit variation. Its new product and wouldn't be the first time. I would at least call the manufacturer and give them a chance to make it right.

who knows maybe they'll give your cash back? wouldn't hurt to ask.

Peace and Thanks again for taking one for the team

ru_frothi,

kertong

*please delete me*
FC has helped me out so much in the past - I am glad to finally be able to contribute something back. :)

Here is a fun shot: a 45X magnification of the ABV that the atmosRAW made. With the screen way up at the top, and letting the unit get past the point where it gets uncomfortably hot - I get combustion free vaping with wispy light PD level clouds. I'm afraid to say I'm 100% combustion free because everytime I do, I combust again - but it seems to be from the leftover plant material sticking directly to the shorting screen that caused that. Man, what a learning curve.

@rufrothy, yeah, I thought the MFLB and omicron / persei were pretty tricky, but I had no problem getting very very medicated with them. But man - after using the atmosRAW, then going back to the omicron it was SOOOOO easy, I kept freaking out thinking I was forgetting something crucial..

jEbYQ.jpg

kertong,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I too, started with the MFLB and also use the Omicron and my box vape regularly. Each device has learning curves for sure. I have been messing with the AR for some time now, and still have yet to get it to vape properly for me. Got the Solo a few weeks back and it's been plug/unplug and play ever since. Not much of a learning curve there. I'm just happy to have a portable vape that does work well, even if it isn't as stealthy as pen vapes.

It states clearly on the web site that they do not give refunds, but if they caused you to mess up your AR trying to put a screen in there, they should at least honor the warranty.

jambandphan03,

kertong

*please delete me*
Man, I just can't catch a break with this thing.

I finally got it vaping. Got through 6 bowls, and I was trying the darndest to make them combust - because that's pretty much how you have to use it to get above-wispy vapor with the screen floating up at the top of the chamber. Still, it was pushing out some nice golden brown ABV with the occassional green pocket or black speck. No flavor or combustive smoke, just vapor the whole time.

So just when I started getting happier about this thing, pop. Something popped inside the heathing chamber, vapor stopped, heat slowly went away. I removed the screen and saw that the nichrome wire was no longer turning orange, and it looked like one of the filaments broke. I'm sure this was from my earlier healing filament getting bent as the screen stuck to it with the scorched and sticky herb. Either that or I was runnign this thing WAY too hot (my fingertip was getting really hot and uncomfortable, almost burnt, pressing and holding the power button). So now I've got a dead heating chamber. @AtmosRawRetailer, do you know if local headshops carry heating chambers separately, or is this something i'm going to have to order off the website?

Pic of the last 6 bowls, all consumed via atmos raw with 1 no2 screen up at the top, no spring, lots of priming and heat, full 9 second blasts alternating with 5 seconds on, 1 second off cycles.

Apologies for the smattering of posts and words. This has been a hell of a rollercoaster.

3igmy.jpg

kertong,

OF

Wow, KT, nobody can say you didn't give it 'the old college try', and try, and try....

Thankfully there are alternative machines out there for our pleasure. I too share the feeling this product 'isn't really ready for prime time' yet. Too bad, it's an expensive (in dollars and good will) way to do things IMO.

Again, my thanks for 'taking one for the team' (loved the video.....) and reporting back. But you're relieved, test over, hit the showers.

And nobody gets to call you wimp any more.

OF

OF,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
awww that sux, probably a combo of damaging the coil and then getting it too hot. Bummer, but as OF says, at least now you can relax and do something else.

jambandphan03,

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
Man, I just can't catch a break with this thing.

I finally got it vaping. Got through 6 bowls, and I was trying the darndest to make them combust - because that's pretty much how you have to use it to get above-wispy vapor with the screen floating up at the top of the chamber. Still, it was pushing out some nice golden brown ABV with the occassional green pocket or black speck. No flavor or combustive smoke, just vapor the whole time.

So just when I started getting happier about this thing, pop. Something popped inside the heathing chamber, vapor stopped, heat slowly went away. I removed the screen and saw that the nichrome wire was no longer turning orange, and it looked like one of the filaments broke. I'm sure this was from my earlier healing filament getting bent as the screen stuck to it with the scorched and sticky herb. Either that or I was runnign this thing WAY too hot (my fingertip was getting really hot and uncomfortable, almost burnt, pressing and holding the power button). So now I've got a dead heating chamber. @AtmosRawRetailer, do you know if local headshops carry heating chambers separately, or is this something i'm going to have to order off the website?

Pic of the last 6 bowls, all consumed via atmos raw with 1 no2 screen up at the top, no spring, lots of priming and heat, full 9 second blasts alternating with 5 seconds on, 1 second off cycles.

Apologies for the smattering of posts and words. This has been a hell of a rollercoaster.

3igmy.jpg

Very uneven looking ABV. some green, some brown, some black.

Nothing like the pic from your DBV earlier or the ABV I get from my solo.

The solo is virtually idiot proof. no learning curve there. and works great with my 14mm Tree Perc Glass.

Sorry to hear about your heating element.

ru_frothi,
Top Bottom