Athlete Vaporists?

Vapinghole

Low-Temp Hempist / JedHI Master
Nice to see this thread going strong.

Alas, I’ve been dealing with serious health issues but am trying to overcome so I can return to activity. Haven’t run consistently in over two years. :(

Your good vibes are most welcome.

Cheers, my friends.
Vapinghole

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
One of the ways I take stock of my health as I grow older is by running the same 15k race each year. When the time comes that I can't run that race without stopping or walking.... I'm heading straight to the doctor's.

Took 4 days off from running after the 15k. That first run was glorious! The first few miles with fresh legs, a strong buzz and some new-to-me Phillip Phillips music .... felt like I was floating.

The next time I find myself fully/overly rested like that I think I'm gonna run at night while listening to Dark Side of the Moon......it's been awhile....

Maninthemachine

One of the ways I take stock of my health as I grow older is by running the same 15k race each year. When the time comes that I can't run that race without stopping or walking.... I'm heading straight to the doctor's.

Took 4 days off from running after the 15k. That first run was glorious! The first few miles with fresh legs, a strong buzz and some new-to-me Phillip Phillips music .... felt like I was floating.

The next time I find myself fully/overly rested like that I think I'm gonna run at night while listening to Dark Side of the Moon......it's been awhile....
Love it ! Except the doctor part ...unless you’re in immediate life threatening situation why ever bother going to a doctor ?

His_Highness

Love it ! Except the doctor part ...unless you’re in immediate life threatening situation why ever bother going to a doctor ?

I take training for that 15k seriously and I've been doing it for almost 20 years straight. As I've gotten older I've gotten real with myself about things like setting personal records but I still seek a certain level of overall physical health.

In my job metrics are important when gauging what something should take to complete and cost .... but metrics must be developed first and take time/history to become useful. That 15k is one of my health metrics. I would know if something isn't right when training for that race and how serious I should take it. I also run for fun and exercise weekly but I keep the mileage around 15 to 20 miles a week and often run "garbage" miles that don't tax me the way longer distances I have to train for do.

If I feel that something isn't right when reaching for that higher level of running/fitness and it's not just something like getting up in age, IT COULD BE LIFE THREATENING since I've had no trouble preparing for about 2 decades......

Jim Fixx was an avid, well known runner who died of blockages after a run. Sometimes staying in shape can mask things.

I have a pretty good general doctor that listens, has a holistic approach and isn't shy about suggesting natural remedies instead of pharma so I'd be setting up that appointment.

Last edited:

Maninthemachine

I take training for that 15k seriously and I've been doing it for almost 20 years straight. As I've gotten older I've gotten real with myself about things like setting personal records but I still seek a certain level of overall physical health.

In my job metrics are important when gauging what something should take to complete and cost .... but metrics must be developed first and take time/history to become useful. That 15k is one of my health metrics. I would know if something isn't right when training for that race and how serious I should take it. I also run for fun and exercise weekly but I keep the mileage around 15 to 20 miles a week and often run "garbage" miles that don't tax me the way longer distances I have to train for do.

If I feel that something isn't right when reaching for that higher level of running/fitness and it's not just something like getting up in age, IT COULD BE LIFE THREATENING since I've had no trouble preparing for about 2 decades......

I have a pretty good general doctor that listens, has a holistic approach and isn't shy about suggesting natural remedies instead of pharma so I'd be setting up that appointment.
Hopefully he isn’t over overweight
Good to hear he’s a bout nature and not synthetic approach.

His_Highness

@Polarbearboy - Loved the article!

From the article: The survey also tells us nothing about how cannabis affects people during exercise, including whether it increases injuries, risk-taking or, as some anecdotal evidence indicates, the tendency to giggle and grow easily distracted by the puffiness of clouds while hiking under the influence.

On one hand the article dispels some stereotypes and on the other hand leans into them....I only wish I could be easily distracted by puffy clouds and giggling .... C'mon now....

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
I love da article U posted!

I was a surf troll most of my life!

In the 70’s when life was simple we smoked joint’s before surfing large huge wave’s!

We grew without seed’s and trimmed intense!
Are stomach’s we’re soap board style!
Pot is what we called it.
We needed CANNABIS 4 COURAGE!

HEALTH was da result!
If your not healthy your not wealthy?

We said that back in da daze!

CANNABIS makes you wise!
Some become dumb?

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
My comment was the top comment on the NYTimes!:

"Nothing like getting stoned at the trailhead! I'm in my seventies and have been vigorously exercising after smoking and now vaping cannabis for some fifty years. Climbing mountains, biking up through the notches, xc skiing for hours on groomed trails or snowshoeing on several feet of unbroken snow, all after a puff or two on the vape, are a joy. Most of my exercise is aerobic, but I try to do about twenty minutes of intense wind sprint/intervale training in each hour or two session until my heart is beating like crazy.

I have a number of painful problems with my feet and weed seems to make me forget or tempers the pain. But I've always loved smoking a joint before setting out on a steep climb. It makes the extra effort and long uphill slogs go by with a minimum of suffering. Or if the weather is bad and I'm exercising on a stationary bike, which is so boring to me, it makes the time and legs fly.

Only problem, and according to other articles in the NYT this is true for outdoor recreationists in general: I get really hungry and then eat too much in the evening."

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
passed the 71 year mark this last March and although i didn't have the typical, generous old guy belly, i did look like i was about 3 months preggers.

In sept 2018, i gave up sugar for a month, just to see. then in Oct 2018 i gave up all processed food (almost all) and adopted a more ketogenic nutrition style - really, all i did was swap a mostly fruit breakfast for a 3-egg, bacon, cheese, mushroom, onion omelet. been watching a LOT of videos on YT about keto, cholesterol, insulin response to carbs, and really, keto makes a lot of sense to me - but i don't do it 100% of the time - too much fat for my taste.

i think sugar should be a schedule 1 drug - addictive with no medical benefit. and food with GRAS (generally regarded as safe chemicals) should be a crime.

Anyway, to combat muscle loss with age, i started using my BowFlex when i turned 65, and continued religiously for the last 5 years. But i decided to add some intensity by going with body weight calisthenics instead. The BowFlex has a progressive resistance, which means only the end of the motion is near the full rated resistance weight - and in the hot summer, the torsion rods are much less rigid. Body weight is full on from the first inch of motion, and is unaffected by heat/cold.

The routine currently is Part 1: 3 sets of 30 reps of squats, 30 breath plank (about 120 seconds), 30 reps of pushups. This takes about 30 minutes. First thing in the morning, on a calorie deficit. Then about an hour to read the internets. Part 2: pull ups (i wish! - this is my current primary goal, to do 10 pull ups, on my way to muscle ups and etc.), hanging leg lifts and knee lifts, some twist and bend exercises, then 30 minutes of aerobics on the NordicTrack (my personal god for the last 37 years).

Recently got a dip rack and ab roller - just beginning to work them into my routine.

So, keto-ish for 6 months and doing body weight routine + aerobics: dropped 10% body fat - abs are beginning to show - my BMI is 21.7, in the exact middle of good range.

i can safely say inflammation is pretty much non-existent. bug bites - mosquitoes and no-see-ums - disappear in 30 minutes.

and this is a life style i can happily ride into the sunset.

and REAL FOOD - yes it takes forever to prepare a meal, but meals taste fabulous, now that the food industry chemicals have been flushed from my system.

so i get a lipid panel a month ago - Total cholesterol 264, HDL 89, Triglycerides 46, calculated LDL 166 (although the Johns Hopkins calculation has it at 161 - using over a million samples for picking the LDL number) … before i even saw the numbers, they called to ask if i wanted to start on statins. WTF?! my conclusion is that doctors don't know, don't have any idea, what a healthy person is - they NEVER see one. thank ARPA for the internet! particularly Wikipedia and YouTube. An infinite curriculum for all for free. Amazing time to be alive, indeed.

i feel great all the time, fall asleep easily, think better - although i credit doing some meditation with helping this.

so, not really an athlete, but definitely still very active. no longer have a flat chest, and shoulders and arms are looking good.

the local farmers market gives a 10% discount for "seniors" (>60 years old) - i got carded! made my day.

Last edited:

Alexis

i think sugar should be a schedule 1 drug - addictive with no medical benefit. and food with GRAS (generally regarded as safe chemicals) should be a crime.
This is very true. It could be argued by those in the know, and it has actually I have a whole book about the origin of white sugar, it's chronological history and journey through time, and most crucially of all its Undisputed, but still heavily under appraised extremely negative health effects.

The human body and brain simply cannot handle refined white sugar it is a drug and a poison and it has been posited that it was the actual cause of the bubonic plague as well as schizophrenia I do know one schizophrenic actually and he has been a white sugar addict ever since I have known him and his case is totally hopeless.

Whenever he is institutionalised which has happened a lot he has certainly continues to be fed large quantities of sugar daily by those who process to be able to help him.

There is no question though that white sugar has done as much damage to health over the years as possibly any other substance, food or drug.

Which is a startling thought and as you absolutely point out it is not regulated or scheduled in anyway but practically free for every single desiring person on this planet.

How mad and twisted is this world?

Btw, in case anybody is ever interested, the book which was gifteepd to me, but I only read a little of (I was never a good reader and it is packed full of facts), is called:

The Sugar Blues, by William Duffy.

deadlytoaster

Canadian lost in Europe
passed the 71 year mark this last March and although i didn't have the typical, generous old guy belly, i did look like i was about 3 months preggers.

In sept 2018, i gave up sugar for a month, just to see. then in Oct 2018 i gave up all processed food (almost all) and adopted a more ketogenic nutrition style - really, all i did was swap a mostly fruit breakfast for a 3-egg, bacon, cheese, mushroom, onion omelet. been watching a LOT of videos on YT about keto, cholesterol, insulin response to carbs, and really, keto makes a lot of sense to me - but i don't do it 100% of the time - too much fat for my taste....

Wow that's amazing work for 71! Today I did about 12km running, super amount of swimming (never swam so well in my life), and upper body routine along with yoga and intermittent fasting. Nevermind I'm 5 decades younger, that's incredible work for your age and I hope I can continue as well as you!!

GetLeft

That sounds athletic to me, Hippie.

I'm not a big gym person but the past year or so I've been ocassionally getting up and going to the local pf and just doing my bit routine. A little core, a little lower body, a little upper body, a little cardio. I'm out in an hour or an hour 15 most. Then I go home and eat healthily. If I did it more often it would be a good thing but someday maybe. Certainly couldn't go close to the place I go to free of cannabinoids. But with a hit or two first it's a whole different thing. I wouldn't even think about getting on my mtb without a hit beforehand, either. The ride is simply so much more organic and enjoyable that I couldn't got back to riding without.

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
I hope I can continue

it is great that you are getting an early start on developing a sustainable lifestyle. i hope i can continue, also, but i can feel the age. i don't know why i have been so committed to aerobics, but i feed the mitochondria - they want O2 - and all else flows from that. i find that sometimes it's not so bad to be an obsessive (wife disagrees).

@GetLeft - i can't vape before aerobics - makes the time go too slowly - but my THC receptors get cleared and the first buzz of the day is divine.

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
it is great that you are getting an early start on developing a sustainable lifestyle. i hope i can continue, also, but i can feel the age. i don't know why i have been so committed to aerobics, but i feed the mitochondria - they want O2 - and all else flows from that. i find that sometimes it's not so bad to be an obsessive (wife disagrees).

@GetLeft - i can't vape before aerobics - makes the time go too slowly - but my THC receptors get cleared and the first buzz of the day is divine.
61 Monday I was?
52 retired from a great career?
Live all you can!

bum karacho

VAS and GAS Support Group!
I know some mma guys they take mj 2 days before a important fight to realx and focus.
I did also a lot of martial arts stoned, but no big or important fights just in the training.
I also know a worldclass kendo fighter who was afraid to win cause of thc in the doping test.since thc is in the doping list, pro athlet who wants o win cant take mj...in mma there is no doping test and thats also not good cause of massive amphvitamine and steroid abuse.....

His_Highness

I vape before and after working out. It makes the work out less boring for me and has since I was 16. It may seem like I'm running when I'm out pounding the pavement but I'm really dancing. I've told folks that wondered how I stay consistent ..... if you enjoy music and it makes your body want to move .... use it.

Much of the music I listen to while working out is not the music I would enjoy listening to if I weren't working out and on the occasion when someone noticed my play list they look at me like I'm nuts.

I've always gotten closer to music when I'm high so it's a natural combination for me to use music and herb to dictate the work out and eliminate the boredom. Long leisurely run is Phillip Phillips. Interval training .... hardcore rap or any kind of music with a aggressive beat and lyrics...basically music that makes you want to punch the shit out of something. Running without music for me can be a death march. When the music craps out on me I internally chant some of the marching/cadence songs I was taught in the military. "Had a good home and you left, your right, your left, your right......"

Same thing for strength training.....

And a big thanks to @Hippie Dickie for reviving this.....I've been off my feed lately and this will get me back on track.

Last edited:

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
I know some mma guys they take mj 2 days before a important fight to realx and focus.
I did also a lot of martial arts stoned, but no big or important fights just in the training.
I also know a worldclass kendo fighter who was afraid to win cause of thc in the doping test.since thc is in the doping list, pro athlet who wants o win cant take mj...in mma there is no doping test and thats also not good cause of massive amphvitamine and steroid abuse.....
SURFING, FREE DIVING and MMA are big in my family.

CANNABIS is for some however other’s it doesn’t help?

For chilling I love it!
FREE DIVING is better and enough of a rush sober!
MMA after for the pain?

Never tried during?

Alexis

SURFING, FREE DIVING and MMA are big in my family.

CANNABIS is for some however other’s it doesn’t help?

For chilling I love it!
FREE DIVING is better and enough of a rush sober!
MMA after for the pain?

Never tried during?
Hey there mate, great to see you posting and sharing always, even if we can't sneak a daily poolside peak haha.

And hoping you are doing good and getting maximum enjoyment and relief from your amazing CA herb. I have an upgrade there actually myself, our Autoflowers this summer, the first 2 of which have only been jarred since 2 days ago and barely ready to vape yet still...

are significantly better quality in terms of potency and general shape of buds, trichomes better developed etc. Just better, cleaner, fresher and stronger weed than we have had in previous years. To look forward to anyway. We did everything just about perfectly up until now the bit that always causes me that extra anxiety is the whole trimming and jarring at the exact right moment for the best possible cure. I struggle with my senses to be confident about the level of dryness to get this timing just right.

Anyway, it's all good on that front. I make this post however, not to talk about any of that (I just can't help myself lol), but I thought you may find this short video interesting somebody linked it to me on another forum earlier in relation to discussions we were having regarding the potential for hemp to replace a great majority of toxic materials and causes of pollution, and how this naturally would have taken place for everything like: plastic, petrol, cars, paper, clothing, ropes and so on.

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Hey there mate, great to see you posting and sharing always, even if we can't sneak a daily poolside peak haha.

And hoping you are doing good and getting maximum enjoyment and relief from your amazing CA herb. I have an upgrade there actually myself, our Autoflowers this summer, the first 2 of which have only been jarred since 2 days ago and barely ready to vape yet still...

are significantly better quality in terms of potency and general shape of buds, trichomes better developed etc. Just better, cleaner, fresher and stronger weed than we have had in previous years. To look forward to anyway. We did everything just about perfectly up until now the bit that always causes me that extra anxiety is the whole trimming and jarring at the exact right moment for the best possible cure. I struggle with my senses to be confident about the level of dryness to get this timing just right.

Anyway, it's all good on that front. I make this post however, not to talk about any of that (I just can't help myself lol), but I thought you may find this short video interesting somebody linked it to me on another forum earlier in relation to discussions we were having regarding the potential for hemp to replace a great majority of toxic materials and causes of pollution, and how this naturally would have taken place for everything like: plastic, petrol, cars, paper, clothing, ropes and so on.

I was at a wedding party for a few daze!
PRO Beach people.
POOL is so handy in the heat!
I quit taking pictures for people who don’t understand?

Central AFRICA has great wave’s to ride!

CANNABIS help’s homo sapien’s enjoy this pale blue dot we all live!

SURF stoned or espresso & live large!

Top Bottom