• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Athlete Vaporists?

Xchadb

@Brownglass
Glass Blower
yeah basically i dunno all the details but im guessing its pretty fuckn intense from how he explains it, the guy that got 1'st place was wearing a weight vest and steel toe boots like a BAUWS! See that guy running around here all the time he's a beast.

EVERYONE in colorado gets blazed and goes to keystone, hence...keystoned.

Vapinghole

Low-Temp Hempist / JedHI Master
Very cool! Sounds intense--I like it! I don't think I've met an unfit person from Colorado.

Vapinghole,

V-RodVapors4U

Ok, I'll chime in from the opposite end of the spectrum. 2 back surgeries from a chopper crash years ago (still with some back pain), head surgery in 2011 from trigeminal neuralgia, and a recent vehicle accident that left me banged up pretty good. I was pretty involved in mma in the beginning days.and won a gold metal in martial arts competition. Yeah, back in the 90s, haha.
I want to start working out again, but I would like some direction. I'm over 50 yrs old. Always been active in the past but the last couple years I've fallen in that regard. Is there a beginning program to help motivate some of us older, pre injured guys to get going? something like p90 or such. Diet and exercise areas. It seems most of that stuff is geared toward folks under 40 yrs. Anyone know of a good site or two? Or should I suck it up start calisthenics, roll thru some pain, get into walking, then fast walking, minor weights, etc. I know the way for a younger guy, but what about older Dudes. Im not overweight, I'm outta shape. Folks say i look fit, but i just hold it together well with clothing, lol. Any suggestions to help motivate my ass.Thx

V-RodVapors4U,
Reactions: Vapinghole

SalamiCity

Ok, I'll chime in from the opposite end of the spectrum. 2 back surgeries from a chopper crash years ago (still with some back pain), head surgery in 2011 from trigeminal neuralgia, and a recent vehicle accident that left me banged up pretty good. I was pretty involved in mma in the beginning days.and won a gold metal in martial arts competition. Yeah, back in the 90s, haha.
I want to start working out again, but I would like some direction. I'm over 50 yrs old. Always been active in the past but the last couple years I've fallen in that regard. Is there a beginning program to help motivate some of us older, pre injured guys to get going? something like p90 or such. Diet and exercise areas. It seems most of that stuff is geared toward folks under 40 yrs. Anyone know of a good site or two? Or should I suck it up start calisthenics, roll thru some pain, get into walking, then fast walking, minor weights, etc. I know the way for a younger guy, but what about older Dudes. Im not overweight, I'm outta shape. Folks say i look fit, but i just hold it together well with clothing, lol. Any suggestions to help motivate my ass.Thx

If you do the crap known as p90x you will probably destroy your CNS(Central Nervous System). You should find a trainer who can work with you based on your injuries. www.bodybuilding.com ha s alot of great resources and a forum to help you get you where you want.

vape4life

Banned for life
Crap? P90X rules! Not as gruesome as Shaun T Insanity though! CNS is huge though, glad you know how taxing training can be, but if you have more info to share it would be appreciated.

lwien

For anyone over 50 without any prior conditioning and considering starting any kind of aerobic activity, I would suggest using a heart rate monitor. Go over to http://www.brianmac.co.uk/hrm1.htm. Polar makes some good ones. Find your resting heart rate by taking your pulse first thing in the morning before getting out of bed. Plug that in along with your age on this site and when first starting out stay within a 50 to 60% target zone for 15 minutes 5 days a week for the first week. If that feels comfortable (able to carry on a conversation at this speed), stay within the same zone, but bump it up to 30 min. 5 times a week. If not, stay there for another week. Once you feel comfortable , bump it up to 45 min. Once you reach an hour at that speed and you're not gasping for breath, bump your target zone up to 60 to 70% but lower your time back down to 30 minutes. Rinse and repeat until you can get up to an hour without exceeding 70% before increasing your target zones.

When you first start out with this, you will only be walking, but don't get ahead of yourself. MUCH better to take it slow than take it too fast...............especially if you are getting up in years.

Don't cheap out on good running shoes. Get a gait analysis at a good running store. And...........don't run on cement. EVER.

This is how I started out, and am now 68 years old, 225 lbs, and my knees are in great shape. Been using a heart rate monitor for decades and train at 70 to 80% for an hour 5 days a week. Gotta watch that ticker.............If I dip below 70%, I increase my pace. If I go over 85%, I slow down for a bit. It's like having a coach next to you not letting you wuss out by going to slow, but not letting you overtrain either.

Give yourself a 10 minute warmup before hitting those zones, and a 10 minute cooldown after.

There are lots of programs out there, but this one has worked for me for a very long time and has kept me in good shape and injury free.

Have fun..............

SalamiCity

Crap? P90X rules! Not as gruesome as Shaun T Insanity though! CNS is huge though, glad you know how taxing training can be, but if you have more info to share it would be appreciated.

I don't mean to shit talk it, but I find P90X and Insanity to be very gimmicky; however I do know people who do it and enjoy it and it seems to give good results. I always dislike it because it's very HIT(High Intense Training) and like I mentioned about CNS it could be bad towards it. I do a workout known as HST(Hypertrophy Specific Training) and it basically talks about how a lot of things hurt the CNS and you could damage yourself if you do to much. I had a HIIT(high Intense Interval Training) regime during D1 College Track and Field and it wasn't very good overall. It definitely worked your ass off but there was a point a lot of people including myself Plateau'd. There was a point I was sick for a week or 2 and I came back lifting heavier and better than ever. I asked another thrower about this and he thought I meant I lost weight and thought "It was crazy." Turns out this is exactly what HST talks about. It's an 8 week cycle with 2 weeks off. It's very good and I gained a lot of muscle fast, and it was a very good workout cycle.

Everyone has their own style of workouts and they workout for different reasons. I specifically want to gain strength and that is why I do my FULL body HST workouts... I also do not understand why people like to split their routines up, but again you do what is best for you.

@Iwien I'm not sure about those #'s on that site, I will have to look @ my AFAA book for more info, but every institution has different #'s.

SalamiCity,

V-RodVapors4U

There are lots of programs out there, but this one has worked for me for a very long time and has kept me in good shape and injury free.

Have fun..............[/quote]
Thx all for your advice. Thx VH for initiating this thread. Just the advice I think I needed.
Ahhh, in keeping with the spirit of this thread. I will most likely be vaping prior to my workouts. I have in the past.

V-RodVapors4U,

lwien

@Iwien I'm not sure about those #'s on that site, I will have to look @ my AFAA book for more info, but every institution has different #'s.

Those are pretty universal, give or take a few bpm.

I mean, if you REALLY want to nail it, you have to take a stress test to determine a max hr, but these numbers seem to be in the ballpark.

lwien,

Pete Jones

Sub-2:40 marathon PR, though wasn't smoking or vaping at the time. While Crohn's disease can be an impediment to my training now, daily vaping generally is not.

Pete Jones,
Reactions: Ratm22

Vapinghole

I want to start working out again, but I would like some direction. I'm over 50 yrs old. Always been active in the past but the last couple years I've fallen in that regard. Is there a beginning program to help motivate some of us older, pre injured guys to get going? Anyone know of a good site or two? Or should I suck it up start calisthenics, roll thru some pain, get into walking, then fast walking, minor weights, etc. Any suggestions to help motivate my ass.Thx

Good for you, V-Rod! This is my post #420, and it goes out to you, my friend! :ko: (I may never post again--having the "420" looks cool.)

I strongly agree with lwien's suggestions. I'll also strongly reiterate his point about starting slow. You may be tough mentally, but respect your body and build a strong base before moving on to more advanced stuff. Don't let your mind trick you. Building a strong aerobic and muscle base takes patience, but you'll last a lot longer, just as lwien has. You've got the right idea--start with a brisk walk, or perhaps start swimming if you're able? Swimming is simply the best exercise, in my view, and awesome to do while vaked (but be safe and swim in a pool with others around if you're vaked).

As for a good website, I got turned on to Monkey Bar Gym and really dig where Jon Hinds is coming from. Specifically, I got turned on to Eischens Yoga, which has done wonders for my body. I encourage you to check it out.

And for motivation - I suggest entering a 5k race, and telling lots of people you know that you've entered it. Those races are a dime a dozen these days, and the distance is accessible, assuming your past injuries will allow you to train/participate. This will give you something to look forward to and people to be accountable to. As lwien stated, avoid running on cement--look for trails, a high-school track, or asphalt, or something along those lines. START SLOW and be patient with yourself, while also pushing yourself.

Cheers!

Sub-2:40 marathon PR, though wasn't smoking or vaping at the time. While Crohn's disease can be an impediment to my training now, daily vaping generally is not.

Pete Jones - sub-2:40 is fucking badass, my man! Also, my mother-in-law has Crohn's, so I have some idea of what you go through from knowing her experiences. All the best to you!

Thx VH for initiating this thread. Just the advice I think I needed.
Ahhh, in keeping with the spirit of this thread. I will most likely be vaping prior to my workouts. I have in the past.

You're welcome, V-Rod! I'm happy you found it helpful and I hope you keep us updated on your progress.

vape4life

Banned for life
I don't mean to shit talk it, but I find P90X and Insanity to be very gimmicky; however I do know people who do it and enjoy it and it seems to give good results. I always dislike it because it's very HIT(High Intense Training) and like I mentioned about CNS it could be bad towards it. I do a workout known as HST(Hypertrophy Specific Training) and it basically talks about how a lot of things hurt the CNS and you could damage yourself if you do to much. I had a HIIT(high Intense Interval Training) regime during D1 College Track and Field and it wasn't very good overall. It definitely worked your ass off but there was a point a lot of people including myself Plateau'd. There was a point I was sick for a week or 2 and I came back lifting heavier and better than ever. I asked another thrower about this and he thought I meant I lost weight and thought "It was crazy." Turns out this is exactly what HST talks about. It's an 8 week cycle with 2 weeks off. It's very good and I gained a lot of muscle fast, and it was a very good workout cycle.

Everyone has their own style of workouts and they workout for different reasons. I specifically want to gain strength and that is why I do my FULL body HST workouts... I also do not understand why people like to split their routines up, but again you do what is best for you.

Do you have any preferred resources/links for the HST? Sounds intruguing. Shaun T Insanity is the hardest cardio workout i've ever tried.... at first I couldn't even get through the warmup (and I consider myself to be in pretty good shape already at 6'3, 200lbs and usually single digit BF%).

vape4life,

Pete Jones

Pete Jones - sub-2:40 is fucking badass, my man! Also, my mother-in-law has Crohn's, so I have some idea of what you go through from knowing her experiences. All the best to you!

Thanks. Sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. It's a mean disease. I'm very fortunate to be able to do as much as I do when I'm healthy, including running.

Pete Jones,

SalamiCity

Do you have any preferred resources/links for the HST? Sounds intruguing. Shaun T Insanity is the hardest cardio workout i've ever tried.... at first I couldn't even get through the warmup (and I consider myself to be in pretty good shape already at 6'3, 200lbs and usually single digit BF%).
It's not HIIT or HIT like the others HST is it's own style, Hypertrophy is designed for muscle building

http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html

SalamiCity,
Reactions: vape4life

V-RodVapors4U

Good for you, V-Rod! This is my post #420, and it goes out to you, my friend! :ko: (I may never post again--having the "420" looks cool.)

I strongly agree with lwien's suggestions. I'll also strongly reiterate his point about starting slow. You may be tough mentally, but respect your body and build a strong base before moving on to more advanced stuff. Don't let your mind trick you. Building a strong aerobic and muscle base takes patience, but you'll last a lot longer, just as lwien has. You've got the right idea--start with a brisk walk, or perhaps start swimming if you're able? Swimming is simply the best exercise, in my view, and awesome to do while vaked (but be safe and swim in a pool with others around if you're vaked).

As for a good website, I got turned on to Monkey Bar Gym and really dig where Jon Hinds is coming from. Specifically, I got turned on to Eischens Yoga, which has done wonders for my body. I encourage you to check it out.

And for motivation - I suggest entering a 5k race, and telling lots of people you know that you've entered it. Those races are a dime a dozen these days, and the distance is accessible, assuming your past injuries will allow you to train/participate. This will give you something to look forward to and people to be accountable to. As lwien stated, avoid running on cement--look for trails, a high-school track, or asphalt, or something along those lines. START SLOW and be patient with yourself, while also pushing yourself.

Cheer

You're welcome, V-Rod! I'm happy you found it helpful and I hope you keep us updated on your progress.

Kool, yep, I've started.
Vaped a smaller amount then usual. Time seemed to fly by for me.
Looking into a heart rate deal for my iPhone and or iPad with all the accessories. Anyone know of a good one?
Checked out MBG. None around here. Thought the yoga was interesting, for an older guy.
What is a good yoga style for an older Dude? Mostly for maintenance, toning, stretching, easy for those above middle age, I don't want to lick my ass, or massage my neck with my toes. That just isn't what I wanna go for. Prefer one that uses english if possible. Anyone know?
However if I can kick that dude In the head like in that Billy Jack movie of long ago, I may be all in for any funky style. JFK

V-RodVapors4U,

V-RodVapors4U

Cheer

Kool, yep, I've started.
Vaped a smaller amount then usual. Time seemed to fly by for me.
Looking into a heart rate deal for my iPhone and or iPad with all the accessories. Anyone know of a good one?
Checked out MBG. None around here. Thought the yoga was interesting, for an older guy.
What is a good yoga style for an older Dude? Mostly for maintenance, toning, stretching, easy for those above middle age, I don't want to lick my ass, or massage my neck with my toes. That just isn't what I wanna go for. Prefer one that uses english if possible. Anyone know?
However if I can kick that dude In the head like in that Billy Jack movie of long ago, I may be all in for any funky style. JFK

V-RodVapors4U,

Ratm22

Cloud Transcender
Reporting back from my 100 Mountain Bike Race. I finished and I don't know if I'll do another.

I didn't get to vape much until after, but the wispr impressed a few tokers.

Hope your run Vh, was more enjoyable.

Vapinghole

Congratulations, Ratm. Well done!

Alas, I've let you all and myself down. Messed up my knee coming down from the summit and while I tried to go on, I had to pull out after 11 miles and 4,000 feet of elevation gain. Tried to continue but couldn't. I'll try again next year.

My knee had an ACL reconstruction a while back, so I hope all is well. I see the doc when I return home from CA.

To boot, I'm away from home and can't vape, so I've settled for combusting one hitters :)

Anyway, congrats again, Ratm. You're an inspiration.

Vapinghole,

Peloton

Vapes Hard
My knee had an ACL reconstruction a while back, so I hope all is well. I see the doc when I return home from CA.

Ouch dude, I'm sorry to hear that... knee injuries get to me especially. I know your pain. I dislocated my kneecap so violently it tore my MCL and broke part of my patella off. Came after a string of other injuries, and a few reconstructive surgeries followed. This was a few years back, and honestly I'm still recovering from it not only physically, but mentally and emotionally. I'm not afraid to say it. I definitely considered myself an athlete before, and only recently am I to the point where I feel I am getting back on my game. And let me tell you, it feels great. Invigorating even.

Incidentally, I started combusting heavily right after my surgeries and living a sedentary lifestyle. Along with erratic, unhealthy eating habits I was really fucking up. Then there were a few years I lived in a state afflicted by OC's mainly, while also abusing any other mind altering substance I could manage to source. Wasted years and so much haziness, but perhaps I've gained a sort of new perspective on certain parts of life. One thing is certain to me though. If I didn't rediscover exercise as a way to channel my energy and focus, I don't know where I'd be right now.

I prefer to vape my face off right after any sort of intense exercise, holding in lungfuls of vapor while pumped up feels great.

Peloton,

V-RodVapors4U

Alas, I've let you all and myself down. Messed up my knee coming down from the summit and while I tried to go on, I had to pull out after 11 miles and 4,000 feet of elevation gain. Tried to continue but couldn't. I'll try again next year.

To boot, I'm away from home and can't vape, so I've settled for combusting one hitters :)

Yo VH, there's a couple of good portables out there. Da Vinci, and whispr. A lot more stealthy then combusting. Hope alls well, wit da knee.

V-RodVapors4U,

Ratm22

Cloud Transcender
Ick stay away from that combustion. Some guy wanted to burn one after the race. So I just whipped out the Wispr and fired it up. He was pretty pumped to see a vape. He even packed it up a second time.

Too bad you didn't get to finish, at least you are in one piece and still kicking. A Few riders had to take a trip in an ambulance.

We live to Vape and race another day!

Ratm22,

vorrange

Vapor.wise

Gotta start preparing a vapor kit when you run with your VG coil, a lighter and some greens. ;)

The knee is a tricky subject, you have to be really careful with them. Hope you recover well VH!

vorrange,

Vapinghole

Yo VH, there's a couple of good portables out there. Da Vinci, and whispr. A lot more stealthy then combusting. Hope alls well, wit da knee.

Ick stay away from that combustion. Some guy wanted to burn one after the race. So I just whipped out the Wispr and fired it up. He was pretty pumped to see a vape. He even packed it up a second time.

Too bad you didn't get to finish, at least you are in one piece and still kicking. A Few riders had to take a trip in an ambulance.

We live to Vape and race another day!

Gotta start preparing a vapor kit when you run with your VG coil, a lighter and some greens. ;)

The knee is a tricky subject, you have to be really careful with them. Hope you recover well VH!

Thanks, guys, for the comments. Yes, I own a few portable vapes, but I was traveling (via plane) and didn't want to fuck with cleaning/carrying my vape. Plus, I travel every so often for a few days (work-related), and I use that as a chance to take some time away--a tolerance break, if you will. But this time, my wife flew in for the race, and she unexpectedly brought some flower. Not being one to turn down a session, especially one to lift the spirits, I combusted my ass off. Yes, it was nasty. But I got baked when I wanted to most. A win for me, considering. But, thanks again for caring enough to mention something! You guys are the tops!

Yes, we live to vape and race another day! :tup:

Vapinghole,
Reactions: vorrange

VisiblyVaped

Vaping now, been combusting for years, boxing, running, and weight training multiple times per week for years as well.
Imo, herb and athletics go well together....focus is improved, endurance is for me as well.

Top Bottom