1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Athlete Vaporists?

Discussion in 'Vaporization Discussion' started by Vapinghole, Apr 24, 2012.

1. HellsWindStaff

HellsWindStaff Dharma Initiate

Had a question - maybe you guys can enlighten me.

So, in terms of eating/working out, you have 3 states you can be. Cutting, where you eat less than you expend (and lose weight/fat). Bulking, where you eat more than you expend. (and gain fat/muscle) And "Recomping" where you eat at just the right level, which should burn fat and also build muscle.

I have been trying to "lean bulk/recomp" that is to gain some weight while not gaining too much weight. I don't wanna lose my cuts! My lifts have went up the last few weeks.

My weight though, has remained kind of static. It fluctuates between 181 and 183. Since, weight can fluctuate normally by a few lbs just be it with water or shit , it's hard to tell if I'm doing it successfully. Rather than seeing weight drop off the scale during a cut or weight pile on during a bulk. You can clearly tell when those are happening.

Now, for beginning/novice lifters (I'm in this category), you can expect to gain about 2lbs of muscle a month, provided you eat enough surplus calories. That's not saying that if you gain 2lbs, its all purely muscle. But if you eat at a healthy surplus and gain a handful or two lbs in a month, it's pretty safe to say you gained at least a lb maybe 2 of muscle.

What I want to know, is if I eat at a surplus, healthy surplus of 500-1000 more calories a day to ensure I'm getting enough calories, I'll know for certain I'll gain muscle. Will also gain fat. Lets say for ease of numbers, I gain 10lbs in a month on this "dirty bulk". Best case scenario is 2lbs muscle 8lbs fat and water.

When I cut, I was able to lose 2lbs a week. So if I "bulk" and gain 10lbs in a month, and then "cut" next month and drop 8lbs, did I just gain 2lbs of muscle net? Is it feasible/possible to run short cut/bulk cycles? You don't see people really talking about this, it's either dedicated multi month cuts or multi month bulks, or a "slow lean bulk/cut".

I ask because I don't want to really lose my cuts lol, but I would like to gain some muscle. And it's hard for me to just eat "a little" over. I don't want to bulk for months and gain a ton of fat, but I do need to bulk to gain some mass. I'm thinking it would work out well for me, tracking is kind of obnoxious. I can eat like a pig for a month, and then just go back to my 1000 deficit diet that I know works for a month and trim the excess fat.

Hope this makes sense! I PR bench yesterday 160lbs 5 times :) getting close to bodyweight!

His_Highness likes this.
  2. His_Highness

His_Highness In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

@HellsWindStaff - cut out the guess work and get yourself a consumer weight scale that can tell you: Measurements can include Weight, Body Fat %, Body Water %, BMR, DCI, Metabolic Age, Bone Mass, Muscle Mass, Physique Rating, and Visceral Fat Rating.

There are many of them on the market. I have had a Tanita for a long while now so there may be better manufacturers to choose from.

EDIT: The reason I recommend these scales is because so many things can affect your body in terms of appearance that can throw you a curve. Salt is a good example...it can cause bloat, water retention and weight gain ... none of which is permanent but could make you think you've gained more weight than you really did due to water retention (too much salt) and after running long distances and sweating the salt out (you know who you are salt lovers...when the white powder on your skin after a run is so visible) after drinking water and don't gain all the weight back because you don't retain as much water as before the run.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    HellsWindStaff likes this.
  3. HellsWindStaff

@His_Highness i have one and it's great for weight, but bf% is super inaccurate on mine.

That's also kind of why I ask cause my weight has been fluctuating a few lbs so I can't tell if I'm actually "lean bulking" since any gain could maybe be attributed to extra water or poop
    that day. I'm just bouncing around between 181-183.

I'd like to just commit to a bulk and gain weight. But don't wanna do it for months and get too much fat, so wondering if I switch off and on like that if that would be a practical or effective way.

His_Highness likes this.
  4. chillersnov8p

chillersnov8p Well-Known Member

The mirror never lies lol. I'd take pics to keep track of gains. You'll definitely see fat adding onto the stomach and hips if your going over. Fat on top of muscles can make it look like your getting bigger just like cuts tend to make myself anyways look smaller. Find someone to hit u with calipers then stick with that person on 6 month bases. Train dirty, eat clean and live in between!

5. HellsWindStaff

The stomach and hips were my clearest indication I was burning fat, slightly less cut now than they were but still looking sharp ;)

I think I'm gonna up my calories a bit again for a month or so and see if I can average out .5+ a week. If I find I'm still maintaining, I'm gonna just fully commit to a bulk

His_Highness likes this.
  6. His_Highness

His_Highness In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

It's really tough to gain that much muscle per week/month especially if you've been consistent and the body adapts on you. That is unless you can spend hours per day at the gym.

HellsWindStaff likes this.
  7. HellsWindStaff

I'm looking for .5 a week net gain I assume it will be half muscle half fat :)

His_Highness likes this.
  8. vapirtoo

vapirtoo Well-Known Member

Wow I've been reading a few back pages here, and I'm impressed at the knowledge and passion being shared.
    As an ex college track coach, the workouts and rest phases mentioned here are pretty much on point.
    I just started jogging again with my wife, and we did an easy 1.5 mile in the park that has a cross country
    course for High schools.
    The first day I was really vaped and the run seemed easy and fun. We even ran into a friend coaching his girls and I was so glad that there was no smell or hint of herb on me.( Everyone wanted a hug!)
    Today we ran again , but this time I was not high. It was a struggle and not as enjoyable as yesterday's run.
    It felt better as we finished, but the herb definitely made my running easier on my mind.
    I was never a gym rat, and always preferred to find some activity that got my muscles toned, i.e. bike racing
    canoe racing and kung fu. To each their own, the main thing is to get out there and do it, and keep doing it.

9. HellsWindStaff

Chicks man, gainz goblins - my workouts have been great when I'm not stuck in my head/anxious and decide to go.

It's been a month an I'm up 2lbs. Idk lol. Weight is weird but I've been consistent 2lbs up for a week + so I assume it stuck. I look marginally bigger gonna keep at it.

His_Highness and Ozyzj like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors