Athlete Vaporists?

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
Has anyone heard that exercising while stoned regularly can lead to your muscles growing differently because they're more relaxed while exercising? I heard that on grasscity and that always just seemed fishy to me and grasscity isn't exactly the most reliable source of information haha. Does anyone know of any negative side effects to exercising while vaked?

I got a negative....I hate working out when I don't have any herb. :lmao:

Seriously - been working out religiously for over 45 years and have never run into a negative other than when I 'smoked'. The only other negative I can think of would be getting couch locked because I didn't start working out right after putting down the vape.

srama21

Monotonous Botanist
I don't know that sounds weird and vague to me. How is it possible physiologically for muscles to grow differently? I'm pretty sure all you can do with muscles is add/eliminate mass. You can take things like creatine or anabolic steroids to take advantage of the physiological mechanisms underlying mass gain or loss, but its still not changing the processes.

I'm usually always on bob marley when exercising though, especially for lifting. I feel like vaping is a great warmup, it gets the the blood flowing and the blood pressure up a little bit. I feel like my stamina is better and I push myself harder. I'll pull out a waxpen and take a hit on a jog IDGAF

EDIT- always sativa/sativa doms for working out

Last edited:

Vaked420

Ya I figured it was bogus. Doesn't make any sense and figured I'd just make sure I'm not wrong hahaha

Vaked420,

BadDog No

Maybe the article isn't completely out to lunch. Compare the body of a yogi to a power lifter for instance. The yogi may be able to do pretty amazing postures despite having musculature that looks very soft compared to the usual gym rat. I won't even get into the whole internal vs. external kung fu training regimens. Books have been written about it though, and there are journals. Oh heck, what else am I doing at 4 am?
Internal KungFu differs from Shaolin in its' reliance on the opening and closing of joints to issue whole body power. It's something lots of the best hard stylists kind of stumble on to as they age, but is built in to arts like bagua, hsingi, tai chi, and liu ho ba fa. While tai chi in the USA is usually associated with "old ladies in the park", it's a very respected martial art in China. Takes decades of course and a willingness to practice seriously including thousands of hours of posture training. So maybe, just maybe, if vaping could lead to more "whole body awareness", you could naturally begin the kind of training yogis began way back when. Oh and I'll be 70 in a month or 2, so no; I won't meet you out in the park to settle this like men. :lol: I will apologize to one and all who regard what I wrote as utter and complete nonsense and an affront to their art or belief system though, will that do? ;)

His_Highness

@BadDog No - Describing your belief in internal and external power requires no apologies as far as I'm concerned. I've seen it displayed in the much older martial artists in some styles including those based strictly on external power/force. Amazing stuff when seen up close.

His_Highness,
What's up FC, I'm a college kid who loves to vape and workout. Right now my main focus is cardio and MMA. Started MMA this semester and loved it. Sense then I've stopped lifting weights to gain mass and just have been focusing on real life exersices or full body workouts to help in MMA. Love vaping before the gym out of my air or flowermate. Feel like I just get in the zone easier.

I also love all extreme sports or anything active. Glad to find some people who love being active as much as vaping. There was a run in my state for pro legalization trying to remember the name. But it was to break the stereotype that stoners are lazy and not successful. If one ever comes around maybe we can meet up. Hope everyone's having an awesome day

His_Highness

@brokecollegekid - Do you vape before training MMA? Is the MMA training through the college or a private studio or both?

I first got started with martial arts in college when I took the course as an elective and eventually started training at the off-campus studio too. At one point I was training at the college karate club, had become part of the competitive college team as well as the off-campus studio. The learning curve was straight up at the beginning for me......it was so easy to get hooked because the mind/body connection and progress was made so quickly then.

It's much easier to get a buzz before training now than when I was your age. The combustion smell was so hard to get rid of before training and the more traditional/conservative/old schools and older teachers where dead set against it. In some traditional studios and styles it was considered disrespectful. I always thought it was a good idea to train high since it was at least a 50/50 shot I'd be high if I had to protect myself.

I had an opportunity to train, as a guest, in a NYC studio who was hosting one of the old-school masters from Japan. It was the first time I trained in that studio and once the session was over I was pulled to the side by one of the teachers and told in the most quiet, unnerving way that 'I had disrespected my teacher, the master from Japan and myself by coming to this special event high and that I should not do it again'. It wasn't my rank and performance that gave it away... it was the smell. Same thing happened in a more commercialized style/studio years later but it was more of a 'Please don't come and train after smoking MJ...you could hurt someone or get hurt yourself'.

If there were vapes back then a flippin tic-tac could have hid that smell.

Your post brought back some good memories...thanks!

@brokecollegekid - Do you vape before training MMA? Is the MMA training through the college or a private studio or both?

I first got started with martial arts in college when I took the course as an elective and eventually started training at the off-campus studio too. At one point I was training at the college karate club, had become part of the competitive college team as well as the off-campus studio. The learning curve was straight up at the beginning for me......it was so easy to get hooked because the mind/body connection and progress was made so quickly then.

It's much easier to get a buzz before training now than when I was your age. The combustion smell was so hard to get rid of before training and the more traditional/conservative/old schools and older teachers where dead set against it. In some traditional studios and styles it was considered disrespectful. I always thought it was a good idea to train high since it was at least a 50/50 shot I'd be high if I had to protect myself.

I had an opportunity to train, as a guest, in a NYC studio who was hosting one of the old-school masters from Japan. It was the first time I trained in that studio and once the session was over I was pulled to the side by one of the teachers and told in the most quiet, unnerving way that 'I had disrespected my teacher, the master from Japan and myself by coming to this special event high and that I should not do it again'. It wasn't my rank and performance that gave it away... it was the smell. Same thing happened in a more commercialized style/studio years later but it was more of a 'Please don't come and train after smoking MJ...you could hurt someone or get hurt yourself'.

If there were vapes back then a flippin tic-tac could have hid that smell.

Your post brought back some good memories...thanks!

I train through my college. My dues are only 30 for a semester, which includes judo, wrestling, ju-jitsu, and mma. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford training. I train with a mix. I like being high for weights and cardio but I find if I'm sparing my adrenaline kills my high. Save it mostly for after practice.

The leaders are all around my age and drink and smoke. Talented and awesome people. Love the club and it's a lifelong skill and sport. If anyone was wondering,Don't ever be intimidated to try any mma. As long as your humble and are willing to learn you'll make friends and learn a lot!

This semester I've been cleaning up my boxing and incorporating kicks, knees, and elbows. Always room for improvement! Off to bed, class and training tomorrow.

BadDog No

Ah youth! I remember starting Shorinryu Okinawan karate when I was in the service. Couple guys in my division found a dojo and I invited myself along. This was a few days after a bar fight where I had taken most of a backfist to my eye; I had the imprint of a Speidel twistaflex watch band in vivid color. "Oh no sensei; we're not here to learn to fight. We want a spiritual discipline." Yeah, right. And why am I sharing this you ask? I haven't a clue; it's a rainy day and I went wakesiesvakesies. Yeah that might have something to do with it...:lol: Of course in those days (in a vain and obvious attempt to return to topic), we didn't vape; heck we didn't even combust unless we were anchored in Montego Bay.

mightyhigh

Martial arts sounds like a great practice to be a part of. I remember watching a friend do Thai Chi after smoking - very cool to watch. Recently I've been getting really into vaping/edibles with yoga. I've also heard that some teachers view it as disrespectful - but since it's such a personal thing and vaping is much less invasive than the smell of combustion I feel pretty good about it. I read somewhere that Alister Crowley claimed the final secret of the illuminati was the use of cannabis during yoga/tantric sex. Don't know much about the guy but sounds like he was onto something..

His_Highness

If I was high, new complex techniques, 'forms' or 'katas' could be a problem initially in terms of memorization. But when it came to training sessions meant to physically break down a student like, 100 roundhouse kicks with the left leg, then right leg, then 100 reverse punches right arm, then left arm, etc....I was able to relax more and often that translated into being able to continue on longer than the norm.

I think that's why I hate running when I'm not high....the mind and body relax into each other so much better when buzzed.

mightyhigh

I had a P.E. teacher in college who said not to smoke an hour before or after working out, but i figured this didn't apply as much to vaping? I can see how it could have some negative effects, but seems to work for me at this point.

EverythingsHazy

If I was high, new complex techniques, 'forms' or 'katas' could be a problem initially in terms of memorization. But when it came to training sessions meant to physically break down a student like, 100 roundhouse kicks with the left leg, then right leg, then 100 reverse punches right arm, then left arm, etc....I was able to relax more and often that translated into being able to continue on longer than the norm.

I think that's why I hate running when I'm not high....the mind and body relax into each other so much better when buzzed.
I feel like being buzzed would do more harm than good for striking and sparring/fighting, but a light body buzz can really loosen you up for some grappling. A lot of BJJ (brazilian jiujitsu) guys are stoners, including some of the best.

His_Highness

I feel like being buzzed would do more harm than good for striking and sparring/fighting, but a light body buzz can really loosen you up for some grappling. A lot of BJJ (brazilian jiujitsu) guys are stoners, including some of the best.

I 'feel' like being buzzed helped with learning techniques that required being relaxed to generate power and speed without using too much muscle. For example...generating power using the hip rather than the muscles in the arms or legs and then tensing at the last second of impact. It felt like I could feel it more mentally if I was buzzed. Sparring....yeah...that's not something I would want to do buzzed unless it was with 'like minded' friends.... but if you show up buzzed for a class and they spar that day there is still a learning experience associated with being buzzed.

I was always taught that relaxing and not over thinking was the key to reaction time, power and speed.... but for some reason I couldn't convince myself to show up for competitions or belt exams buzzed. Was always so nervous on those days and getting buzzed would have amplified my nervousness.

I 'feel' like being buzzed helped with learning techniques that required being relaxed to generate power and speed without using too much muscle. For example...generating power using the hip rather than the muscles in the arms or legs and then tensing at the last second of impact. It felt like I could feel it more mentally if I was buzzed. Sparring....yeah...that's not something I would want to do buzzed unless it was with 'like minded' friends.... but if you show up buzzed for a class and they spar that day there is still a learning experience associated with being buzzed.

I was always taught that relaxing and not over thinking was the key to reaction time, power and speed.... but for some reason I couldn't convince myself to show up for competitions or belt exams buzzed. Was always so nervous on those days and getting buzzed would have amplified my nervousness.

I find when learning new moves, I prefer to be sober. However any time I'm practicing the fundamentals, especially kicks, I like to be buzzed. The thing about kicks is a lot of the energy isn't from pure strength. It's learning to use your whole body almost as a spring and focusing all that energy to move your leg explosively.

to someone untrained it's hard to explain but all the power from from my kicks come from my abs and hips. when I'm a little buzzed I'm just a little more in tune with my body and how it moves. But weed does effect us all differently!

EverythingsHazy

I'd like to change my last post, from:
To:
I feel like being very high/stoned would do more harm than good for striking and sparring/fighting, but a light buzz can really loosen you up, especially for some grappling. A lot of BJJ (brazilian jiujitsu) guys are stoners, including some of the best.

I've sparred lightly buzzed before. I actually did well. A light buzz to get loose, might not be bad, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was beneficial. Getting stoned to the point where your body feels heavy, your vision is a tunneling a little bit, and you're laughing like a fool at everything, however, I don't think would be very productive.

I definitely agree that being loose and smooth with your techniques will lead to you having more power, than just tensing up and trying to throw strikes as hard as possible. Being loose will also make your strikes harder to see coming and avoid.

Damn, you all are making me want to learn karate hahaha

You should atleast try some type of martial arts! You'll need to figure out your natural fighting style first though. Im 6' 4" so I use a lot of kicks and jabs because my height is an advantage. If I were shorter than I would practice a lot of boxing and wrestling/BJJ.

My shins are bruised as fuck from kicking yesterday. Anyone who trains MMA what's your schedule look like? do you lift opposite of training on bags?

throwawaytre3s

I was a JOAD archer when I was younger, now I just shoot recreationally. Instinctive recurve bows for life! Never vaped before going to the range though, and I don't think I ever will. As cool of an experience it would be, it'd be a massive safety violation and quite frankly a hazard.

Vaked420

You should atleast try some type of martial arts! You'll need to figure out your natural fighting style first though. Im 6' 4" so I use a lot of kicks and jabs because my height is an advantage. If I were shorter than I would practice a lot of boxing and wrestling/BJJ.

My shins are bruised as fuck from kicking yesterday. Anyone who trains MMA what's your schedule look like? do you lift opposite of training on bags?

I do plan on trying martial arts at some point, money is just my only obstacle as of now...hopefully in the next few months to a year that will change tho!

I was a JOAD archer when I was younger, now I just shoot recreationally. Instinctive recurve bows for life! Never vaped before going to the range though, and I don't think I ever will. As cool of an experience it would be, it'd be a massive safety violation and quite frankly a hazard.

True. It's harder with things like that where even if I feel comfortable in my abilities I feel that it's unfair to introduce a safety hazard to others. One example of that is that I'm usually better at racing games when I'm slightly buzzed and I also used to drive buzzed in my younger days and felt almost more in tune with the car, so I've thought it would be fun one day to go to a track and rip laps while a little ripped, but unless I had the track to myself, even if I feel comfortable I know others wouldn't and so I couldn't subject others to that even if they don't know that I'm stoned. I feel like it's just a respect thing and honestly I have no proof other than my own beliefs that I'd be safe behind the wheel.

srama21

Monotonous Botanist
I find when learning new moves, I prefer to be sober. However any time I'm practicing the fundamentals, especially kicks, I like to be buzzed.

real shit, this is my approach with it in life. even when studying i need to be sober to learn and consolidate new information but when i'm doing practice questions or anything like that i find being buzzed makes me more insightful with how to connect and manipulate information.

RastaBuddhaTao

Manufacturer
Been working with the kids at my high school coaching hurdle technique a couple days a week. I still hold the school record after 20 years and I took it from my brother... And for once in my life I almost feel respected... All be it by a bunch of highschoolers. Nothing like the Zen of running hurdles in the spring sun

Last edited:
Top Bottom