• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

At home alchemy/compounding with tinctures and cannabis in general

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
I have been using this for my hands lately, and love it. It's the only thing that actually helps me. My hands are so dry that they crack and bleed. :(

http://www.thebodyshop-usa.com/hemp/prod5950023

I am very seriously considering some compounding since I do have a lot of experience at it. I was going to mix the hemp hand cream with a pre-made cannabis tincture that has had most of the alcohol evaporated away. I know that cannabis tincture, applied topically, really helps my hands and joints in the past. So, I thought a little experimentation would be in order.

Has anyone else tried compounding creams and lotions with a tincture? I am also open to any other ideas as to how to get the cannabis into the hemp cream too. The thought had crossed my mind that the extra added alcohol, no matter how small, might be too drying.

I love to experiment with this kind of stuff. :D

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
It's really a water based cream, so my thinking is that it may break when you mix in the tincture. i do know that lotions will thin significantly in the presence of even a few drops of essential oil. not sure why, but i do know that bulk 'blank' lotion bases are very thick to compensate for that.
Don't really know though, the added stabilizers and emulsifiers may keep it stiff. i say start small, and let it sit to see how it keeps.
I do think any residual alcohol would make it burn like hell if your hands crack like mine do.

Since an evapped tincture is fat soluble as well as alcohol soluble, a salve or oil may be a better carrier for it. perhaps mix it with some olive oil or jojoba oil to reconstitute it and apply before the cream.
even better with an emollient butter like shea that also has penetrative and analgesic properties.

i make salves (because of my badly cracked hands, actually) and they are a snap. you can infuse fatty oils with herbs for specific effects, add all kinds of oils, butters, essential oils and tinctures - also for their own specific effects. the ultimate customization.

most health food stores carry these single carrier oils, butters (at least cocoa) herbs, tinctures and essential oils, so it's not hard to get started either.

Please post your findings, i'm curious as to what will happen!

herbgirl,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
herbgirl said:
It's really a water based cream, so my thinking is that it may break when you mix in the tincture. i do know that lotions will thin significantly in the presence of even a few drops of essential oil. not sure why, but i do know that bulk 'blank' lotion bases are very thick to compensate for that.
Don't really know though, the added stabilizers and emulsifiers may keep it stiff. i say start small, and let it sit to see how it keeps.
I do think any residual alcohol would make it burn like hell if your hands crack like mine do.

Since an evapped tincture is fat soluble as well as alcohol soluble, a salve or oil may be a better carrier for it. perhaps mix it with some olive oil or jojoba oil to reconstitute it and apply before the cream.
even better with an emollient butter like shea that also has penetrative and analgesic properties.

i make salves (because of my badly cracked hands, actually) and they are a snap. you can infuse fatty oils with herbs for specific effects, add all kinds of oils, butters, essential oils and tinctures - also for their own specific effects. the ultimate customization.

most health food stores carry these single carrier oils, butters (at least cocoa) herbs, tinctures and essential oils, so it's not hard to get started either.

Please post your findings, i'm curious as to what will happen!

Thanks for the great suggestions! I don't want to ruin this hemp hand cream because it is expensive. I'll definitely check out the health food stores too. I'll check back when I decide what to do. :)

Vicki,
Top Bottom