asthma!

clukx

anyone have any good remedies\homeopathy treatments for asthma or similar symptoms.

supposedly reishi mushroom is awesome.

clukx,

medically420

I've heard about reishi mushroom, concerning chinese herbal remedies and all. I want to dig into that sometime soon. Currently I'm trying to stay away from my inhaler as much as possible, because well using a steroid med my whole life couldn't really be that healthy in the long run.

Main reason why I'm vaping cannabis now is trying to see if it really helps clear up my asthma symptoms. Apparently, the terpene "pinene" is a big bronchodilator. There is some evidence that CBD helps, but personally I haven't felt any difference yet. As far as I personally have done, I can go 4-5 days without my inhaler by vaping, but it hasn't been extremely consistent yet to conclude.

Do you feel vaping helps your asthma? I feel that it really helps expand my lungs, but only for a temporary amount of time.

medically420,

Derrrpp

For the world is hollow and I have touched the sky
Cannabis does have bronchodilator and anti-inflammatory properties. I've found that some strains seem to help open my airways and others, not so much. If I'm having an asthma flare-up, sometimes vaping makes it worse. When it comes to treating acute asthma symptoms, there really is no substitute for albuterol.

If you're having to use your rescue inhaler frequently (like, a couple times a week, or more than a handful of times in a month), you should talk to your doctor about preventative corticosteroid medication. It's possible to not have any symptoms and still have inflammation which, if left untreated, can cause permanent damage.

Asthma is a serious condition, and many people think they have theirs under control when in reality they don't. No one should have to live with not being able to breathe.

:2c:

:peace:

Last edited:
Derrrpp,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

clukx

I'm interested In this corticosteroids but I don't have insurance what exactly are they? I use my inhaler too often withiut an attack and I get them from someone else since my insurance ran out

Derrrpp

For the world is hollow and I have touched the sky
Corticosteroids are a class of drugs that are used to suppress inflammation (among various other things). Common examples include over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream and prescription-only prednisone.

The corticosteroids that I mentioned for the treatment of asthma are usually an aerosol or powder that is inhaled directly into the lungs through the use of an inhaler. They aren't a replacement for a rescue inhaler. They are supposed to be taken regularly, regardless of if you are having symptoms, so as to prevent future asthma flare-ups from occurring. An important thing to note is that inhaled corticosteroids at the usual dosages don't tend to cause the serious side effects that other corticosteroids can cause when taken in pill, liquid, or injection form (systemic corticosteroids).

The one that I was prescribed for years until my insurance recently stopped covering it is called Flovent (fluticasone propionate). If you can't get insurance to pay for it, it's pretty spendy. Upwards of $200 for a month's supply. Other brands may cost less. It might be worth it to chat with your doctor and see if there's any options that would be feasible for you.

Hope this helps.

:peace:

Derrrpp,

Frickr

Everyone is different but one thing that helped me was going gluten free for a while. Long after quitting the gluten free diet, I still am asthma symptom free. After doing a bit of research I discovered that some people with asthma have an allergy to wheat. I went from using my inhaler once a week, to 1 or 2 times a year. Also focusing on breathing from the diaphragm over using the chest has helped too and I can usually overcome any shortness of breath just by focusing on my breathing and taking a break.

Certain strains do give me tightness in my chest, and I feel this is mostly due to them not being the "best" of weeds and could possibly contain traces of mold, which is one trigger for me.

I tried the long term control meds, but I was allergic and wound up with my throat closing off and covered in hives so I have been choosing to go a more natural route and using albuterol only when absolutely needed.

medically420

I use my inhaler too often withiut an attack and I get them from someone else since my insurance ran out

I'm in the same boat as you. It sucks when insurance doesn't cover medication that i depend on everyday. I was tired of using inhaler after inhaler for my whole life and just wanted to switch to maintaining my asthma with natural remedies.

However, would you all consider cannabis to eventually be a replacement for an inhaler, with a certain type of strain? Supposedly it's supposed to help, since asthma patients were prescribed marijuana cigarettes before the 1930's prohibition. I certainly feel my lungs opening up after a hit, but once my high is gone, my lungs go back to being tight again. Perhaps its that I'm hitting out of a bong.

I'm very interested in trying reishi mushroom sometime in the near future, as well as other remedies that could suppress asthma. If any of you have any other ideas, please let me know.

My Underdog has an aromatherapy cup, which is one of the main reasons why I got it. Hard to tell if aromatherapy with lavender oil really works on bringing down inflammation, but i do enjoy the scent of it.

I've also heard of going gluten free as well. I've been getting rid of dairy, wheat, frozen food and fast food at least, since they carry sulfites. That's one step, but I'm sure I'll eventually try eliminating more food that triggers asthma. The good thing about cannabis, is that I no longer have the need to drink wine/beer anymore, which also contain sulfites not good for asthmatics along with saving a couple thousand calories.

Last edited:
medically420,
Reactions: Derrrpp
Top Bottom