Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

JCat

Accessory Maker
If it actually allows setting to 0°F, then you can just toss it in your cooler on a hot day and quickly chill down your sodas and beers.

I think this new-fangled thermal unit must be some kind of peltier.
:)

It's a thermostat on a heater though ... so if the temperature of the unit is higher than the set temperature, it does nothing, it would only activate a heating cycle if the temperature of the unit dropped below the set temperature.

It's a heater not an air conditioner :)

JCat,

nigel

And shepherds we shall be,for Accuracy & Discovery
I'm confused. If the Ascent still isn't available to order yet, why is this thread already in this subforum? Shouldn't discussion remain in the 'Thread Candidates' subforum until we can actually buy this thing? Especially considering the fact that it was supposed to be on the market some 10 weeks ago.

It did get moved a tad early, but we all anticipate moving this thread is an indication that sales are immanently upon us... tick... tick... tick...

--------------------

It's a thermostat on a heater though ...
It's a heater not an air conditioner :)
Please follow the link in the post your replied to.
:) (And, yes, this is all joking around, but still...)

nigel,

nigel

Just weighed out what I presume to be my "perfect amount"; weighed out to .2 (bouncing back and forth between .1 & .2. My herb is very dry, and was pinched and dropped into the trench until it filled to the top. Not much packing going on. IF I wanted to pack it, I could have got .1 more in there....

THR --
*GIVEN* that volume != weight, it seems for your dry (no moisture weight), ground (higher density), material that you think you can get 0.3 in the bowl at max capacity. Is this correct?

Sticks & SLiM -- [QUESTION REMOVED AS I COMBED THROUGH RESPONSES TO FIND ANSWER]

-----------EDIT----------

Personally, I prefer around .25-.3 a session anyway so the bowl size is perfect.
If the bowl is perfect at that size, I think that is a second vote for 0.3.

Off to hunt for Stick's comment about solo stems....

Found it:

II just packed a glass Solo stem like I usually do...filled and lightly tamped (sorry about the scale...only goes as low as 0.1 which will be no good here). I then transferred that to the Ascent bowl and when packed down like you would use it, it took up about 1/3 to 1/4 of the bowl. I used this amount packed just the same the other day with good results...no cotton needed.
So, again, roughly at 0.3
Despite all three reviewers using materials of different density (again: the volume of the bowl is fixed, but the weight of material to fill is a function of said density) we seem to have about the same number across the board.

That's some real fine detective work there, Lou.

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
The solo stem in my usage holds .15 not .3 but I could be wrong. Remember nigel he said 3-4 solo stems would fit and he was only using one solo stem worth .15.

Green_Weed

The vapelife will on youtube says DaVinci has to improve glass stem and tighten the connection airflow! Do you think the same?

Green_Weed,

Vapnoob

Nubile Vaporist
There is no airflow connection issue, he came to that with the stems outside of the unit. The unit has a silicone sleeve that negates any air leaking in when it's inside the unit. Besides the fact that he sells and promotes another brand of vape in his videos.

VapidLife......Baby!!!

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I'm confused. If the Ascent still isn't available to order yet, why is this thread already in this subforum? Shouldn't discussion remain in the 'Thread Candidates' subforum until we can actually buy this thing? Especially considering the fact that it was supposed to be on the market some 10 weeks ago.

That's beside the point. I'm not even planning to buy the vape, at least not straight away. I'll be waiting until it's well-tested before I'd consider it. I just don't think the main 'Vaporizer Discussion' subforums need to be littered with as-yet-unavailable vapes - that's why the 'Thread Candidate' subs were created.

I think you might want to leave these decisions to the moderators. ;)

I moved the thread because the Ascent is a real device that has been released to reviewers, who were posting valuable information in the old chaotic thread that was slated to be closed. Would you rather that the reviews appear there? (Rhetorical question, discussion of moderator decisions is against the rules.)

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
...so does moving this discussion mean that dv is going to release soon? OR are we going to keep discussing its arrival HERE for months to come?

Yes, that's right, I moved the thread so we could have another chaotic thread only this time not in the Candidates section. (Where's the Sarcasm font when you need it?)

I guess you missed the part where I said discussion of moderator decisions is against the rules.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I don't think your correct. He hit one at the Ty expo but I don't believe he got a review unit.

This is correct. I am determined to get one at some point, but I don't know when. Since I am two weeks away from a two month T-break on Maui, I expect it won't happen until the fall at the earliest (unless V8pire is sending me one as a surprise, hint hint).

lwien

Well, if you're gonna take a two month T-break, Maui would definitely be the place that I'd like to be. Hell, I'd like to be on Maui for two months regardless if I'm on a t-break or not. Nice.................

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Most reviewers make money by becoming affiliates with other distributors and online shops. VapeLifeWill makes money by recommending certain produces over others and having people buy those products and they make a small commission. I believe the place he is getting an affiliate though does not give him as good of a cut on sales as they do the Arizer Solo... or it could be an issue with the way they are shipping particular products.

If your motive is to make money you will rush your review to get it out there so that you can get more views to hopefully drive traffic to your affiliate site and sell more product. If you don't make as much money with a particular product over another you will probably tend to push the higher profit margin products. Hence the reason certain reviewers tend to say "oh its good it's just no volcano." ;)

nigel

The solo stem in my usage holds .15 not .3 but I could be wrong. Remember nigel he said 3-4 solo stems would fit and he was only using one solo stem worth .15.

Remember Dreamerr that he gave the size of a normal stem for him. Everyone can pack a stem differently, but we don't care about "everyone". He said it was <0.1 as his scale doesn't go that far. Say... 0.09 or 0.08 or 0.07... any of these figures x3-4 is in the range of what the other reviewers have said. (0.09x3=0.27, 0.07x4=.028 [Corrected])

Again, taking into account the reviewers are all using material that does not have identical densities, I stand by my statement.

nigel,

OF

(0.09x3=0.27, 0.07x4=.032)

Again, taking into account the reviewers are all using material that does not have identical densities, I stand by my statement.

This is interesting, when I went to school .07*4 was .28, not .032....... Otherwise the point is made.

There's also no such thing as 'standard weed'. Actually there is I understand, officially grown for research only (and it's 'only OK' from what I hear?). This is, I think, a big factor. There's easily a 2:1 variation here alone? 90mg in one test might seriously outperform 150 in another in both effect and taste.

I think in the end we have to review the available opinions, factoring and tempering them as best we can (for me that means putting more stock in 'the usual suspects' around here than web.guys) to decide to 'take the plunge'. It's only then, with that vape in hand and your stash loaded, can you really know it it 'fits your pistol'?

OF

nigel

This is interesting, when I went to school .07*4 was .28, not .032....... Otherwise the point is made.

There's also no such thing as 'standard weed'. Actually there is I understand, officially grown for research only (and it's 'only OK' from what I hear?). This is, I think, a big factor. There's easily a 2:1 variation here alone? 90mg in one test might seriously outperform 150 in another in both effect and taste.

I think in the end we have to review the available opinions, factoring and tempering them as best we can (for me that means putting more stock in 'the usual suspects' around here than web.guys) to decide to 'take the plunge'. It's only then, with that vape in hand and your stash loaded, can you really know it it 'fits your pistol'?

Thanks for correction. Maths is hard. :p

I get everything you are saying.

But people want to know how much the device will hold. (This goes back early in the prev thread.)

Unfortunately, people ask a VOLUME question, but they want the answer in WEIGHT.

That's why I keep running on about densities and what not. I'm keenly aware that the answer should be expressed in VOLUME, but I was trying to suss out the answer (FWIW) that others want.

Not a question about performance or anything like that. Just a factual question: How much will the bowl hold?

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
That is why I original asked for someone to load a solo stem and other popular vapes with the same little bit of herb and show the diff in pictures. For example if I load my solo stem I know that two stems worth will fill my INH capsule.

Edit: No variance because it is the same herb being put from holder to holder.

V8pire

The Vape Is The Life!
This is correct. I am determined to get one at some point, but I don't know when. Since I am two weeks away from a two month T-break on Maui, I expect it won't happen until the fall at the earliest (unless V8pire is sending me one as a surprise, hint hint).
You have a better chance at the rainbows but if they ship me two by accident one will be yours pak.

V8pire,
Reactions: pakalolo

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Remember Dreamerr that he gave the size of a normal stem for him. Everyone can pack a stem differently, but we don't care about "everyone". He said it was <0.1 as his scale doesn't go that far. Say... 0.09 or 0.08 or 0.07... any of these figures x3-4 is in the range of what the other reviewers have said. (0.09x3=0.27, 0.07x4=.028 [Corrected])

I didn't mean to say that my packed stem was less than 0.1, just that my scale was only that accurate so I wasn't going to use it at all. When I pack a Solo stem I suck the weed into it...as much as it will hold. then I tamp it just enough to pack it below the edge of the bowl.

I was thinking on the way to work today that it might be helpful to review and report on these vapes using herb run through the same grinder. That would be consistent and it could be measured as a x-micron grind.

OnBreak

Hey guys I had to make an account and through most 146 pages of the previous one and I had to make an account just for this ascent! I think it's awesome that DV took the time to come on the forum post pictures and get feedback that they actually listen to, like the change of the grill! Looks nicer now and boy does the ascent look sexy. And yea there are those assholes but I'm glad they are put to there places here ln the forum.

Q. This is a convection style from what I understand it's air that heats rather than direct contact (with conduction)

As far as I know there is no difference to the high as both produce vapour right??

Also seeing vape life's review did you guys fix the issue with the holes not being tight enough to produce thick vapor?

OF

But people want to know how much the device will hold. (This goes back early in the prev thread.)

Unfortunately, people ask a VOLUME question, but they want the answer in WEIGHT.

Exactly. You face the same problem with ammunition reloading, knowing the volume or the case is critical, but near impossible to calculate. The solution there is to express it in grains (the traditional measure of small weights in firearms, 7000 to the pound) of water it will hold. Not that you'd ever allow water in in use of course.

It makes for a very accurate and useful relative measure.

As a suggestion, maybe we agree on table salt? Very uniform, widely available. As long as the bowl isn't sticky it should be very easy to brush it out. Or wash it. Once we had a table of various vapes capacity in this arbitrary volume measurement (even if expressed in grams of salt) you'd know instantly things like 'it's 20% bigger than Solo about 15% less than MFLB' (numbers pulled out of the air for example/comic effect).

Food for thought?

I didn't mean to say that my packed stem was less than 0.1, just that my scale was only that accurate so I wasn't going to use it at all.

A problem for sure. As a suggestion, next time load and dump say 10 times and weigh the total and divide?

OF

OnBreak

I never owned a vape before, was very close to getting the pax because of it's stealthiness and great reviews but this also looks very promising nice that it does oils as well.

OnBreak,
Top Bottom