Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

Archaicrevival

I've removed 5 posts derailing this thread with a discussion of materials safety. Our rule is:
  • If you have a question or comment regarding material safety, post it in General Discussion. Do not post it in a model thread.
Thank you for your cooperation.

Thanks alot!

Last edited:
Archaicrevival,

virtualpurple

I bought the Ascent in 2013 and have had to send in for servicing twice, but I never experienced any issue with offgassing. I also had to purchase a new one due to a naughty boykin spaniel that is intrigued by the scent of cannabis (she also holds victories over an Underdog, a Flowermate 5.0 PRO, several haze cans, my beloved wooden stem for my haze from @Ed's TnT and several pieces of silicone from our own @Ratchett's delta3D studios).

I have very few complaints about the Ascent and tons of praise. It isn't the most efficient vaporizer I own but it produces thick, delicious vapor and is probably the best tasting portable I've yet to experience.

I have fallen in love with vaping, but I really credit the Ascent for showing me the light. I love to reach for a variety of vaporizers but the Ascent is hands down my girlfriend's favorite device.

MrNaturalAZ

Tree hugging dirt worshipper
If you recall, I recently reported that my beloved Ascent had failed after 18 months of faithful service. Between having a busy (for me) couple of weeks, plus a general aversion to having to do such things, I finally reached out to DaVinci's customer service yesterday. I should not have hesitated - the experience so far has been nothing but pleasant.

I used the online chat on their website, where Valerie confirmed that I needed service, and followed up almost instantly with an email asking for the expected purchase and contact information. I replied to that right away and again, almost instantly, Valerie emailed back with a RMA# as well as links to videos explaining exactly what to send and even how to pack it.

So... I've sent it off to them; it should arrive Monday. It will be interesting to see just how long it takes for them to turn it around, and whether they fix my 1aa1, or replace it with a current model.

It just so happens that I needed to clean mine thoroughly before sending it in. I thought a quick Q-tip job plus maybe a toothpick or bamboo skewer to get the corners around the little bump on the one end would take care of it. As it turns out, there was a fair amount of residue covering the bottom and about halfway up the bowl walls. Interestingly, it wouldn't budge even scraping with the tip of a skewer.

Anyone ever get the bowl to look new (white) again? magic eraser didn't work

That's when I remembered reading here about using a Magic Eraser (melamine foam). I cut a small piece and stuck it in and rubbed around a bit and it seemed to help a bit, but not much. Then it occurred to me that being foam, it should work like a sponge; I saturated the small chunk of "eraser" with 90% isopropyl and stuck it back in the bowl. I let it soak for a bit; I figured it would work like filling the bowl up with alcohol, but without the worry about how to keep it from running back out the bottom.

Anyway, then I stuck my skewer into the chunk of melamine foam as a handle and scrubbed away. Almost there, but the chunk I was using was getting worn out. One more small chunk of Magic Eraser and another splash of iso and I had it practically virgin clean. I really should have taken a picture.

Anyhow, the Magic Eraser works great, but you do have to work at it just a bit, especially if you are not so diligent with your regular cleaning. The trick was to saturate the eraser in alcohol and let it "soak" a bit to loosen the deposits sufficiently to then rub off with a bit of careful but diligent scrubbing.

nigel

And shepherds we shall be,for Accuracy & Discovery
I think the issue was never so much visible offgassing at is was people noticing flavors that they thought shouldn't be there

Point of clarification: There was indeed (as @Archaicrevival has pointed out here, and older posts in what I think was the previous thread) an "offgassing" that was an issue with *SOME* of the first units.

That being said, there are several important points that need to be clarified:

1. It was not all units. I had several at that time, including a pre-production unit. I also had a lot of friends get a unit in the first months. NONE of the units I had hands-on had exhibited this issue. (I like to test things.) Only some of the units were affected.

2. The culprit was pointed to as an un-fully cured batch of silicone from a vendor. DV's response to this (@Davinci_vaporizer -- I believe this was before your time, when S was here on site.), was to move all curing internally where DV could control it and not be subject to the whims of vendors over there. (Anyone that has done any manufacturing in China understands the end of that sentence.) Thus this:

We have an entire room here dedicated to curing the silicone. First it goes through a boiling treatment in a big crock pot like machine, then into an autoclave for a secondary cure. The units are also ran through a burnoff cycle here at 430 degrees for 10 minutes before being packaged.

3. Medical grade silicone. Any vapor might look scary, but it isn't. But if you were still concerned, a few burn-offs solved the problem for most.

In addition, on the taste front: I am foremost concerned with the flavor and tasted no negative impact. (Other than when I tried an essential oil that had ginger in it. Oh, boy, I couldn't get that taste out of my flower for weeks. Learned that lesson. :) I keep on Ascent just for oils and other herbs.) A slight "new vape smell", but one will find that with most new anything. [I will note that there are those that have a sensitivity to silicone, of which I am not a member of said set. For them, it was more pronounced at first, but does dissipate.]

IIRC, there was some speculation that some of the packing materials aroma did creep into the device. But letting it air out for a while fixed that.

I took about half of a cotton ball, soaked it in water, squeezed lightly and pushed the wet cotton into the bowl, holding the Ascent upside down so excess water would fall out while the cotton was pressed in against the inner surfaces. I turned the Ascent on at 100 Celsius; actually a bit higher. The water in the cotton steamed and softened the baked bowl-brown. I did this with the glass stems in place and held the Ascent upright. Steam rose from the stem and water drops condensed within. I closed the oven. This could also be done with the oven open.

Brilliant, gentle vaporist. Brilliant.

sickmanfraud

DV,

finally got my spacers. First try, medicine on bottom, pack lightly and use a spacer as a glass screen.

Seemed to be ok, when I emptied the Ascent the spacer was in two pieces.

The quality leaves much to be desired.

sickmanfraud,

Vaporcussion

DV,

finally got my spacers. First try, medicine on bottom, pack lightly and use a spacer as a glass screen.

Seemed to be ok, when I emptied the Ascent the spacer was in two pieces.

The quality leaves much to be desired.

My spacers haven't cracked, but I'm not impressed with them either. The oil pad from my Crafty works much better on top of the material; (I just fit it in the long way) Now. Or a simple screen on top. I hate having to be ultra careful as I dump out the ABV. Also with the glass spacers it feels a bit whispery...

Vaporcussion,

Scott A

One thing to note I guess I didnt add really is that is was never silicone that I could taste or smell with my ascent. It was always a very strong electronics flavor and scent that even up until I sold it was still very noticeable towards the end of bowls.

Scott A,
Reactions: vapen00b

Vaporcussion

One thing to note I guess I didnt add really is that is was never silicone that I could taste or smell with my ascent. It was always a very strong electronics flavor and scent that even up until I sold it was still very noticeable towards the end of bowls.
Ceramic?

Vaporcussion,

MrNaturalAZ

Tree hugging dirt worshipper
UPDATE

My Ascent arrived! I'd sent it in for warranty service on Friday 8/21, they received it on Monday the 24th. They shipped it out Friday the 28th and I got it the following Monday, 31 August (yesterday). Just over a week, including shipping; in their possession for less than a week. Pretty good turnaround time.

It appears to have been replaced rather than repaired - My original one had a 1AA1 serial number; the one I received has a 3AA1R serial number. I'm guessing the "R" indicates Rebuilt/Repaired/Refurbished (take your pick), though it could be just coincidence.

As instructed, I sent in only the unit and charger, and that's exactly what I received. Unit looks good - only the most careful inspection reveals what might be faint tool marks along a seam or two. Perfectly acceptable, barely noticeable, and not surprising on a R unit.

It powered on and indicated a full charge, so I switched it back off, installed a set of stems, and went ahead and loaded it up. In retrospect, I probably should have let it heat up first to check for any undesirable tastes/smells, but my impatience distracted me from "best practices". In any case, there was no detectable off-gassing nor plastic, rubber, or "electronic" taste or smell.

As for performance, it seemed to hit harder and with more visible vapor than my old one. I'm not sure what has changed in the design from 1AA1 to 3AA1 - certainly nothing too obvious on casual inspection and comparing to memory (perhaps if I had one of each side-by-side I might notice something). Maybe improvements in sealing to prevent unwanted ingress of fresh air into the vapor path?

In any case, I'm pleased with the service I received from @Davinci_vaporizer 's team in Las Vegas - Fast friendly, and efficient!

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Have the glass screens been released for retail sale yet? Sorry if I missed the post.

Vicki,
Reactions: DDave

Modicum

Does anyone know of an oven cap or a thin sleeve( to contain the odor when the unit is off )is available somewhere? Im not looking for a padded case,but something minimal,I believe someone sells such a cap for the Pax. I love the unit but because of the smell that permeates my clothes,I find myself leaving it
home.Odor is part of stealth.no?

OF

Does anyone know of an oven cap or a thin sleeve( to contain the odor when the unit is off )is available somewhere?

Most likely not, in that you'd need to 'cork up' both ends (IMO most smell comes out the bottom, not the stem). Perhaps someone could make some soft caps (even the same for top and bottom?).

Or perhaps putting the whole unit in a zip lock baggie?

Remember, that same smell is also on the clothes you wore when vaping, probably stronger, only you won't be able to smell it at the time. Ever sniff a cigarette smokers closet? I have, we do stuff like that on this coast you know........it's how parents who don't smoke bust kids who do.

Regards,

OF

OF,

OF

Thanks for your thoughts,OF. Will it be Ratchett to the rescue?

You're welcome.

Not really his kind of product, at least not directly. You want, I think, vinyl caps (flexible), which are typically done by 'dip' molding.

Typically a male tool (say a peg to make a typical cap) is dipped into the material and pulled out with a thick coat sticking on (if you look at most caps you can see how the 'drip' forms in the center of the top?). Often compressed air is used to 'blow' the part off. Rubber gloves and condoms are made the same way basically.

Ratchett could make the model with his 3D prowess to make molds to cast metal tools I believe, but his material can't take the heat from the vinyl dip. There are solvent based systems, used to coat tool handles at home and in marine applications but again the 3D material is not 'right' I think.

But make a 3D tool, coat it with plaster or clay/sand and remove the tool and cast pot metal in the hole and I bet you're in the cap making business even if it's with the solvent 'tool dip' stuff on the back porch.

OF

sickmanfraud

Does anyone know of an oven cap or a thin sleeve( to contain the odor when the unit is off )is available somewhere? Im not looking for a padded case,but something minimal,I believe someone sells such a cap for the Pax. I love the unit but because of the smell that permeates my clothes,I find myself leaving it

RYOT makes a small bag called a smell safe.

I think you can buy them from Da Vinci.

In my experience th Ascent rarely makes odor from the bottom if held straight up and down.

sickmanfraud,

Sativape

@Modicum, I scooped up a waterproof rubbery plastic sleeve for sunglasses that use. No padding. I also have one made out of leather.

Both do an amazing job containing the smell.

Both have a drawstring that cinches up nice and tight.

Sativape,
Reactions: OF

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Isn't the faux-velvet pouch included in the packaging anymore?

But the Ascent reeks because resin tends to leak all around the bowl, around the straws and basically everywhere... in a very short time. So if you want to lower smell, clean it more often. Use a paper tissue to wipe the stem and around the bowl after every session.

Sativape

Hey Sativape where can I get one of these magic sleeves?

@Modicum I bought them both at the Flea Market.. I bunch of vendors had similar ones.

I got a plain one, but it looked very similar to the original velvet one that @KeroZen referred to (that didn't seem to contain smell too well), but bigger.

Looks like this but no logo:

mPqx6eyjt0ta1ZsRD8lgv-Q.jpg

mtnpMcwnbRpIuiskbfFCe8g.jpg

If you don't mind the logo, ebay has these.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
The silicone inside the unit that surrounds the stem, in my opinion absorbs a lot of the cannabis smell. It's difficult to get that area scent free.

I love the herb taste using the Ascent and the different temperatures that you can adjust the the unit to.

Top Bottom