• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

Glass004

Consumer Advocate
Thanks OF, for the info. My inverter is a small one 50W it should do the job. Now I just need to create a battery pack like yours for the Ascent!
I solved the battery issue by having an Ascent to back up my Ascent . Otherwise I sometimes use my inverter in the car.
I have broken in 5 units and never saw fumes during to burn in process.
Everybody assumes that it costs DaVinci a lot to make theses units. NOT. They can replace them easily if it only costs $30 bucks each to make
On what basis do I claim they are cheap to make???? None.. But you just can't say they are expensive to manufacture either. I think they are made cheaply because of the poor reliability and cheap buttons and connections (charging port).
I love my Ascents. I think they are worthy of the price considering the great functionalbility. I am using both of my units heavily without failure since late May. I drop the units without causing failures. It can be a miserly way to use herb or it can blow the heads of of 5 stoners at once.
Customer service is good. If customer service was great they should pay for shipping considering the high purchase price, profit margin and high rate of failures.
They were going to send me a shipping label with the replacement for the new defective replacement unit sent when my first Ascent failed. They never sent the shipping label with the second replacement. Yeah... it got complicated when the Warrenty replacement Ascent did not work. They aren't big on sending shipping labels.
I still recommend buying if you have great patience with product failures. This business is more like dealing with a two year lease.

Last edited:

Aner

@Tanz - Yes, I had the same problem with the Ascent - it was horrible - multiple top end burn-offs - second unit was the same as the first. Crappy Chinese mfg! I am looking at the Haze but I am not sure if it is better.

I agree that it is not wise to use such a product - though I am using the Haze now - but concerned that at higher temps, I am having the same problem.

Aner,

Tanz

I solved the battery issue by having an Ascent to back up my Ascent . Otherwise I sometimes use my inverter in the car.
I have broken in 5 units and never saw fumes during to burn in process.
Everybody assumes that it costs DaVinci a lot to make theses units. NOT. They can replace them easily if it only costs $30 bucks each to make
In what basis do I claim they are cheap to make???? None.. You just can't say they are expensive to manufacture either.I think they are made cheaply because if the poor reliability and cheap buttons and connections (charging port).
I love my Ascents. I think they are worthy of the price considering the great functionalbility.
If customer service was great they should pay for shipping considering the high price, profit margin and high rate of failures.
I still recommend buying if you have great patience with product failures.

They do not lose one penny.

@Tanz - Yes, I had the same problem with the Ascent - it was horrible - multiple top end burn-offs - second unit was the same as the first. Crappy Chinese mfg! I am looking at the Haze but I am not sure if it is better.

I agree that it is not wise to use such a product - though I am using the Haze now - but concerned that at higher temps, I am having the same problem.

Ya, it sucks to go through. Did you use it? And did you actually see the smoke under a light or something, and did it ever stop?

Tanz,

buddhakevz

Hi guys, I received my new Ascent 2 days ago! Love it so far. I wont do a review since there'as already a lot.

But... since I'm also not filling it full, I needed to use the glass bead / flower glass... tricks.

The first evening, I tried to use glass bead (stolen from my girlfriend jewelry making supplies) they were too big (only able to fit 3 inside mix with herb). The vape session was a bit disappointing.

The next day, I was not able to find any glass flower locally. So I thought of using semi-precious stone. I bought a pack for 5$ (art supplies shop) of tiny amethyst stone (a variety of quartz) their size is around 1/8" to 3/16".

The amethyst pebble worked perfectly. I can fit around 8-10 in the bowl while using around 0.1g+ of herb.

From an engineering point of view (sorry I'm a stone engineer) the conductivity of quartz (amethyst is a variety of quartz) is around 3 and glass is around 1 (the bigger the better). If I were rich enough I would use diamond with a conductivity of 1000. But conductivity changes as the temperature changes. Anyways, quartz is better than glass. There's also emissivity (heat by radiation) but...

Anyways it was just to bring another really good option to pack the bowl. It also nice to fit semi-precious stone beside precious herb.

adamm

Quick question on charging guys, struggling to keep mine charged and ready for use.

Is it safe and okay to charge it up during night etc? The problem is that when I'm not using is mostly when I'm asleep or at work.

I read in the manual that it should not be left to charge for over 6 hours so I'm worried about leaving it on charge during work hours or sleeping may damage it.

This is where a back up would be handy I guess.

adamm,

Davinci_vaporizer

Clean First Technology
Manufacturer
Quick question on charging guys, struggling to keep mine charged and ready for use.

Is it safe and okay to charge it up during night etc? The problem is that when I'm not using is mostly when I'm asleep or at work.

I read in the manual that it should not be left to charge for over 6 hours so I'm worried about leaving it on charge during work hours or sleeping may damage it.

This is where a back up would be handy I guess.
Try to plug it in when you get home. The Ascent can be used while charging it without damaging the battery. On a full charge, if you are only using in the time you described (between work and bed) it should last quite a while. Maybe bring it to work to charge it? We also suggest an initial charge of 10 hours, just try not to over charge it too often.

OF

From an engineering point of view (sorry I'm a stone engineer) the conductivity of quartz (amethyst is a variety of quartz) is around 3 and glass is around 1 (the bigger the better).

Anyways it was just to bring another really good option to pack the bowl. It also nice to fit semi-precious stone beside precious herb.

Sounds good to me. Remember, conductivity is only one factor of interest, specific heat is also very important as is surface area. To some extent we can make up for poor conductivity by making more surface and using thinner sections so the heat has less distance to move. The goal, I think, is to store a bit more heat than will be needed and transfer all of that out in the hit (holding more after the hit does no good) and in the smallest volume.

We're really constrained here since the temperature difference (what drives thermodynamics) is really pretty small. Maybe a few dozen degrees?

No matter how you slice it, it's going to be a trade off (including availability). But I think addressing this heat issue somehow is a worthy experiment. I don't think anyone has failed to report improved performance?

Thanks for the report.

We also suggest an initial charge of 10 hours, just try not to over charge it too often.

IMO two very solid suggestions from the guy who should know. Not 'over charging' on the initial use can forever 'lock out' capacity on part of the battery pack (after the initial full charge this opportunity is lost with the first serious discharge cycle). And constantly 'topping up' the battery will seriously cut it's cycle life. This is why you never store them fully charged (and why your unit came with a partially charged battery).

Very useful advice from the guy that might otherwise make a handy profit selling you a replacement earlier? IMO a clear clue the maker cares about his customers.......

OF

Last edited:

adamm

Cheers for the very fast replies..

I took mine out the box and just used it, ooops lol. Get about an hour to 2 hours use, turning it on and off all the while really seems to kill it though. I guess most energy is used bringing it up to temp.

I also top it up all the while to make sure I don't run out during a session. I guess I'm not being very friendly to the batteries then really.

I had thought about bringing it to work but its too risky as if I get seen and questioned on it I could be in serious trouble. I tend to hit it as soon as I get home then eat get washed and spend the evening using it. It doesn't get much rest time but I tend to stick it on charge inbetween uses. Maybe I should sit nearer to a socket lol.

I think a back up would be very handy for this problem, it also would allow me to fully drain and charge the battery each use rather than a bit here and there. The solo has been tempting me for a while now.

OF

It doesn't get much rest time but I tend to stick it on charge inbetween uses. Maybe I should sit nearer to a socket lol.

I think a back up would be very handy for this problem, it also would allow me to fully drain and charge the battery each use rather than a bit here and there. The solo has been tempting me for a while now.

Understood, it's a tool, you use it when needed. Perhaps not recharging it every time, say wait until it gets down to 1/2 or even 1/4 on the 'meter'? Most of the damage to the battery (if you avoid deep discharges) happens at full voltage. By draining it down more you get 'free sessions' WRT battery lifespan. Just stopping 10% short of full charge can double your batteries life. Check out the stuff around table 4:
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

I think every serious vape owner needs a reliable backup, if for no other reason than to keep Murphy at bay. Reverting to blazing in the event of vape problems is not sound planning. I'm a big fan of Solo as well, but perhaps it's too much like Ascent? I suggest a different sort of vape, one that's fun to use and efficient in it's own right? Perhaps a MFLB, or Vapor Genie? Or a personal fav, Vapman. All around $100 and very well respected. Each has a loyal following in these forums, with lots of positive reports. If you were forced to use any one of them exclusively while your Ascent was in the shop you'd still be very well served IMO.

Regards.

OF

adamm

I should of mentioned I have a mflb but I don't see myself using it much now tbh, weird because I did enjoy it but since buyig the ascent I see it as more work. Shaking the load all the while, having to fine grind and still not really finishing the weed like I can with the ascent just puts me off using it. I'm not fully against combustion personally, I still smoke the odd blunt now and again.

I think that if I didn't get the solo then I'd perhaps get something like the SSV or another desktop whip style vaporiser.

Cheers for the battery info, I tend to let it go below half on the screen before putting it on charge so hopefully it wont be harming the battery then.

adamm,

Davinci_vaporizer

Clean First Technology
Manufacturer
Sounds good to me. Remember, conductivity is only one factor of interest, specific heat is also very important as is surface area. To some extent we can make up for poor conductivity by making more surface and using thinner sections so the heat has less distance to move. The goal, I think, is to store a bit more heat than will be needed and transfer all of that out in the hit (holding more after the hit does no good) and in the smallest volume.

We're really constrained here since the temperature difference (what drives thermodynamics) is really pretty small. Maybe a few dozen degrees?

No matter how you slice it, it's going to be a trade off (including availability). But I think addressing this heat issue somehow is a worthy experiment. I don't think anyone has failed to report improved performance?

Thanks for the report.

IMO two very solid suggestions from the guy who should know. Not 'over charging' on the initial use can forever 'lock out' capacity on part of the battery pack (after the initial full charge this opportunity is lost with the first serious discharge cycle). And constantly 'topping up' the battery will seriously cut it's cycle life. This is why you never store them fully charged (and why your unit came with a partially charged battery).

Very useful advice from the guy that might otherwise make a handy profit selling you a replacement earlier? IMO a clear clue the maker cares about his customers.......

OF
We run the vaporizers through a few charge cycles in the factory prior to shipping them out. It is part of our QC process to charge the units, make sure they heat properly then let them completely drain and repeat. This ensures that the batteries are set to give you the longest possible usage time out of your vape. The batteries are also always tested to make sure the volts match. Often times, when the unit accepts a charge but only works while plugged in it is due to battery damage so we try to control that as much as possible. We also always replace the batteries with brand new ones when your unit is sent in for repair, regardless if they are functioning properly or not. We are currently working on a way to have the vaporizer stop accepting a charge when it is fully charged. Any suggestions?

Juttman88

Where do you guys ever recommend charging it for 10 hrs initially??? I just received the unit yesterday and was specifically looking for that in the manual where it isn't to be found. I hope that now since I've used my unit after not finding that, that it will still hold a proper charge. Also it doesn't quite deliver how I expected on a full pack. Def doesn't pack nearly the punch of something like a volcano but I guess I should have assumed that? The pax that I tried once before def gave off more vapor. Can anyone recommend a certain temp to start at or any tips or tricks to deliver better? I'm coming off taking dabs so I'm trying to make it deliver as much vapor as possible

Juttman88,

OF

We are currently working on a way to have the vaporizer stop accepting a charge when it is fully charged. Any suggestions?

Well, actually yes I've got a couple now that you ask. Currently (sorry, you don't get many straight lines and it's an old pun......) I'm using a modified version of the unit I'm testing for Solo (same issues). It's using one of the old prototypes from that, in fact, with a step down regulator to drop the 12 Volts down to 9 for charging (that's it at the bottom):
w5O6XvM.jpg

Pushing the button starts the charge cycle, the screw adjustment just above it sets the drop out point.

Thus far it's working well. I'm having to 'shoot blind' since, unlike with Solo, I can't actually measure the battery voltage since I can't figure out how to open it up.......

OF

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Where do you guys ever recommend charging it for 10 hrs initially??? I just received the unit yesterday and was specifically looking for that in the manual where it isn't to be found. I hope that now since I've used my unit after not finding that, that it will still hold a proper charge. Also it doesn't quite deliver how I expected on a full pack. Def doesn't pack nearly the punch of something like a volcano but I guess I should have assumed that? The pax that I tried once before def gave off more vapor. Can anyone recommend a certain temp to start at or any tips or tricks to deliver better? I'm coming off taking dabs so I'm trying to make it deliver as much vapor as possible
We are all different. I start at 375f and work my way up. I use about 6 glass flower pipe screens. You'll have to research that if you don't know about them. I generally go about to 390f to 395 depending on the herb. If it's too harsh I turn it down. if I'm not getting enough vapor I turn it up.

CarolKing,
Reactions: OF

virtualpurple

Please folks, a moment of silence for a fallen friend.

My Ascent is dead. It was a refurb (I had to send my unit back to DaVinci twice, great customer service both times). This death had nothing to do with Davinci's work, and is no candidate for warranty, and is beyond repair.

I left the Ascent on my girlfriend's nightstand, and someone (her or one of her roommates, I imagine) closed her dogs in the bedroom. One of the dogs took their frustration out on several things, unfortunately my prized Ascent was among the victims.

The top is popped off, wires are severed, and the housing is scarred with teeth marks.

This happened just two days after the Labor Day sale ended, I'm just now feeling okay with posting about it because that was a big bummer. I have backups, but I consider this a sizeable investment.

Does anyone know when we might expect the Ascent to go back on sale? I plan to replace it because I am very satisfied with the Ascent, but I just can't drop $250 again at this juncture.

I am kicking myself for the tragic timing because the labor day sale was a great price. Does anyone know when we might see the Ascent on sale again?

Vape Dr.

@virtualpurple I am sorry about your loss. I have actually been looking everywhere myself for a sale on the ascent, primarily for the fact it is supposed to taste phenomenal. Also for the fact it does concentrates.
I will be sure to let you know if I come across any sales or discounts.

I know this is a sore subject (I've been there, all my vapes were stolen) but on a different, note why not make lemonade.
Perhaps you could take the ascent apart and post some pics of the internals. Make the best of a bad situation.
I've looked high and low and cannot find any internal pics of the ascent.

Perhaps you could turn your misfortune into knowledge! I for one would love to see the inside of the ascent!

Again, I feel for you my friend and will let you know if I come across any sales.

EveryDayAmnesiac

Eh. IMO, the taste is pretty good, not great. Lots of conduction and siliconey flavor in there. If I want a flavorful hit, the Ascent would not be my first choice, even among portables.

Perhaps you could take the ascent apart and post some pics of the internals. Make the best of a bad situation.
I've looked high and low and cannot find any internal pics of the ascent.

Perhaps you could turn your misfortune into knowledge! I for one would love to see the inside of the ascent!

I think just about everyone in this thread agrees with this.

EveryDayAmnesiac,

CarolKing

@EveryDayAmnesiac, If you are experiencing problems with the silicone still, I would get a new unit. I had some new silicone taste just for the first few sessions with my Ascent. The flavor is really wonderful with my vape.

Maybe you're sensitive to silicone smells and tastes? You need to be satisfied with your vaporizer.

Last edited:

EveryDayAmnesiac

@EveryDayAmnesiac, If you are experiencing problems with the silicone still, I would get a new unit. I had some new silicone taste just for the first few sessions with my Ascent. The flavor is really wonderful with my vape.

Hmm. Maybe so, but I'm on my 4th unit and they all have tasted pretty similar.

I might just be overly sensitive to conduction, which could be the real problem.

Good point though. I don't mean to imply the Ascent has "bad" flavor, I just don't enjoy it nearly as much as the FF or ESV or even the Solo. :shrug:

And even with convection, after a few hits, it's like... :puke: If I were a rich man who lived in Colorado, I'd probably just give away my ABV after five hits or so...

Truth be told, the Ascent is a closet vape for me - as in, it stays in the closet, as a backup. :shrug:

EveryDayAmnesiac,

CarolKing

I didn't realize that you are on your 4th unit. I wouldn't have the patience to hang on. I salute you with your faithfulness. I get fed up and lose interest.

Last edited:

EveryDayAmnesiac

I didn't realize that you are on your 4th unit. I wouldn't have the patience to hang on. I salute you with your faithfulness. I get fed up an lose interest.

Well, I don't know if I'd call it faithfulness... it was more like, "Well, what else am I going to buy to replace it?" :lol:

It's one step, or one more vaporizer, away from a charity donation... :\

I do actually still use it when I need to use up daily ABV AND I want to walk down to the local lake. It's certainly more portable than a Solo. And I do appreciate the amount of temp choices it offers. That's a huge plus. But it seems like, after a few minutes cooking in that oven, that the temps kinda start blending together...

I guess I don't really get what the Ascent is even supposed to be? What niche is is supposed to fill? I literally have little idea anymore.

But, I am a hopeless, useless drunk, so.... you know. :cheers:

:shrug:

EveryDayAmnesiac,
Reactions: Amoreena

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
@virtualpurpleI have actually been looking everywhere myself for a sale on the ascent, primarily for the fact it is supposed to taste phenomenal. Also for the fact it does concentrates

As CK said, don't buy it hoping to do concentrates with it, the glass jars are a gimmick at best. You would be disappointed. But for taste and vapor smoothness, yes clearly.

Eh. IMO, the taste is pretty good, not great. Lots of conduction and siliconey flavor in there. If I want a flavorful hit, the Ascent would not be my first choice, even among portables.

How much did you use it? Silicone taste shouldn't stay that long really.

Also I feel there's way less conduction taste than in my FlowerMate for instance. The key feature of the Ascent is its ability to do low temps. If you start low, deplete the level, then increase, etc, you can reach high temperature with very little ABV taste and it stays really pure (whereas if you start directly high, then yes, conduction is more obvious and it can cook the load a bit too fast)

The only (mostly) convection vape I can compare with is the Firewood, and I find the Ascent is more or less on par, taste-wise.

Please folks, a moment of silence for a fallen friend.

Awwww! Sorry for your loss! I hope you didn't throw it in the bin already as you definitely will have an autopsy to perform... We need to find how to open these beasts in a non destructive manner as my intuition tells me in 6 months to one year we all will need to consider replacing our batteries!

Start by removing the two top side panels, there are holes under them but so far nobody could confirm if there are screws inside or not.

Last edited:

XxlinusxX

if you want to gain access( i have had someone open one up recently to fix it) the way in is to remove either the front or rear panel( don't know which one yet) underneath is a screw with glue over the top of it, this is the screw that with dismantle the ascent.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
@XxlinusxX : interesting. I've been told by @nigel that the main problem is that it is super tight inside and that it would be probably hard to put everything back in place (for instance, if even at the factory they can't manage to install the OLED screen without scratching it badly, I have doubts that we could do any better)

Also I'm under the impression that the batteries are flat-top with either glued or soldered connectors, meaning the average user will likely have some troubles. But hey, not all people like to "DIY" stuff!

KeroZen,
Reactions: nigel
Top Bottom