Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

Techmob

How long does it take to get used too?

I have used it a few times and I am still not sure about it

I keep reading how good this is, so then I wonder why mine isn't, could it be faulty....

I pack the bowl, lightly press with my finger so the herb springs.

I start with temps of approx 180f and obviously I don't see any vapor but it tastes better

I will continue for a bit and then I have to raise the temps and I go to approx 280

Then to approx 350

The taste to me is not nice, at the higher temps it tastes like plastic is burning. It doesn't taste like weed.

How can I test to see if mine is faulty?

I notice it stops heating sometimes and the temp drops.

I have yet to be smashed from this. I had two packed bowls before and it wasn't veRy pleasant and the effect was poor

Comparing that to my da buddha I get good hits From that and even higher temps don't get that horrible taste

Got my ascent this past Friday. I'm new to vaping. I've tried packing chamomile, cats claw, peppermint, spearmint and none of them seem to produce any vapor clouds at all. I've tried lightly packing it, I've tried packing it down strongly with the glass canister as some have suggested. EDIT: forgot to mention i've tried all different temps, higher ones just make smoke/ash. I do not know what else there is to try. I tried with the screen in the bottom and without, same with the rubber cap on top. The only 'vapor' i get from this product at all taste like ash and smells something is burning. (hint: i'm pretty damn sure it's not vapor) :bang:

Is there something I am missing? Is my product defective? :shrug: Can anyone link me to a video that actually shows how someone is packing their chamber or describes in extreme detail like i'm 5?

I want to be sure this is the product and not user error before going to return it. I've seen some videos where people get these large vapor clouds. If that is actually real and they aren't tasting like ash/burnt material then something is definitely wrong with either my use or the product.

First time posting here, be gentle. :|
Sounds like the same problem as me, tastes horrible at higher temps and no vape otherwise

Last edited by a moderator:

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
How long does it take to get used too?

I have used it a few times and I am still not sure about it

I keep reading how good this is, so then I wonder why mine isn't, could it be faulty....

I pack the bowl, lightly press with my finger so the herb springs.

I start with temps of approx 180f and obviously I don't see any vapor but it tastes better

I will continue for a bit and then I have to raise the temps and I go to approx 280

Then to approx 350

The taste to me is not nice, at the higher temps it tastes like plastic is burning. It doesn't taste like weed.

How can I test to see if mine is faulty?

I notice it stops heating sometimes and the temp drops.

I have yet to be smashed from this. I had two packed bowls before and it wasn't veRy pleasant and the effect was poor

Comparing that to my da buddha I get good hits From that and even higher temps don't get that horrible taste

180F is way too low, I hope you mean 180C!

I usually start at 330F and enjoy flavor country for a few draws before i move up to 350F.

Plastic burning doesn't sound normal, I would call DV about it. The heater turns off after the timer goes off - I have mine set to 15 minutes, after that the unit shuts off. I believe there is also a motion sensor to shut off the heater.

The ascent is certainly not a powerful vaporizer. When used properly, I can enjoy a LONGGGG session and feel very medicated. But sometimes I don't have 45 minutes for a full session, hence my other vapes.

Took a long scenic drive this weekend over a very high mountain range with the wife. Enjoyed the hell out of my Ascent the whole time! First time ever reloading the Ascent in the car, damn was that a pain in the ass!

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Make sure your herb is good quality and is dry. Also, do a couple burn offs. After a few bowls and there still is a problem, I would call Davinci's customer service. That doesn't sound normal.
You shouldn't breath in anything that has a bad smell.

That could make you sick. Vaping is to have a healthier way of life.

Last edited:

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
Anything 300s taste like its horrible

Kind of burn toast

300 degrees Fahrenheit correct? If you are vaping at 300F and it tastes like burnt toast or burnt popcorn your vape is malfunctioning.

I suspect your vape is running in Celsius - Try temperatures between 170C and 200C - 170 should be flavor country if my theory is correct

RD

"Hawaii Home Grown"
Draw in front of a mirror or add a straw to the stem so you can actually watch the vape coming up thru the tube. Adjust your draw accordingly. I added a silicone snorkel to my stem and keep the glass out of harms way. Also makes a better seal IMO.

One of my units, 2nd or 3rd, can't remember which, had a horrible taste that took days to burn off when I received it. All new units should have a high temp burn in of several cycles after the initial charge, but that one was just sickening. Cleared after a while.

Last edited:
RD,

Techmob

I did do the burn off on mine first.

I think I might send it back, doesn't sound right.
I will try it again later and report back

Techmob,

vapedck

1) Can anyone recommend a bubbler or water tool for the ascent? I have seen vapefiend recommend the F-bomb, but I wanted to know if anyone had much experience with pinnacle pro's water tool or other more portable water tools. I very well could have missed this in a post somewhere so I will try and work my way backwards, as I have been away from the boards for a week or 2.
I was also thinking about buying the F-bomb for my Ascent, but it was kinda expensive over at Vapefiend. Especially seeing as I have to buy the 14 or 18 mm GonG water tool thingy as well. Or should I just but the "U-shaped" bong accessory and a brand new bong? Anyone got some input?

vapedck,

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
I was also thinking about buying the F-bomb for my Ascent, but it was kinda expensive over at Vapefiend. Especially seeing as I have to buy the 14 or 18 mm GonG water tool thingy as well. Or should I just but the "U-shaped" bong accessory and a brand new bong? Anyone got some input?

I have an Fbomb knockoff from DHgate (Less than $30 shipped) - rarely use it. Don't buy the U-shaped gong, get the straight GONG. The thing I hated about a PNWT is that you have to crane your neck to use it, it doesn't feel "comfortable" - I much prefer my D020 and D020-w bubblers.

Honestly, I don't use my ascent through water as there isn't enough heat in the ascent to keep up with filling a chamber with any visible vapor (I'd be impressed to see a milk-shot with the Ascent, but have yet to see one). If I'm vaping through water, I use my other vapes.

Delta3DStudios,

adamm

I have a rattle in the bowl part of my device, sure it wasn't there when I got it. Is this normal? Not going to return it because its functioning fine but just slightly annoying. Anyway I can get it out perhaps?

adamm,

nojail101

hate it after 3 weeks i bought the herbalizer local store 4 a steal 680.00 and free big tobaccoo elecric grinder 50 bucks so i saved atleast 180 bucks and with this fan option its great ascent sucks for me i like clean vap lots of and feeling great no urge for other ways to do it herba;iazer did it for me after davinci failed davinci please take returns its brand new

nojail101,
Reactions: kgb33

jmanvfl

What was I gonna put here......
You're not over-packing you're over drawing dude! :D

Sip very slowly by making a depression with your mouth rather than using your lungs to inhale. If the puck rises, you're drawing too strong. It happened to me maybe during the first week at most, but since then I rarely have to repack it down. Sometimes it rises slightly because someone shaked the device too much during handling, but when you get the correct drawing technic right, it's not an issue anymore. Yet again, we're still waiting for the official spacer from DaVinci that would solve all our problems (hippy glass flowers no more!)

Obviously and in retrospect, "evidently" was a more likely fit. :p

Just put this to practice after reading it earlier while at work, this info should be written on the box
Good attitude, glad to hear you're getting a handle on it.

I think the key insight to it came from some tests I ran on Nigel's Ascent when he so foolishly loaned it to me a year or so back. I put a thermocouple (temperature measuring gizzie) in the load area by running the leads up the vents (I used 2 to keep the leads of the TC separated). It showed that the temperature display was very accurate (within a degree or two F) if you gave it a minute or two to 'soak in'.

Here's the key bit: The temperature is highest just before you hit it. All it does as you hit is cool off. The ceramic and glass walls are just too much insulation for heat to get from the heater element to the load in time to help the vapor making process. What heat is stored in the bowl and load is what you have to work with. Drawing cold air in only cools it off faster, meaning you get more vapor per second for a few seconds then the temperature drops locally and production tapers off. I was able to get drops of over 100F (yes, from 390 to well under 300F) with one heroic (for me) pull. As you know vapor production at 300F is nothing to get excited about.

That's what started the experiments that led to the glass flowers. They store more heat spread throughout the load, to make up for the heat that's used making vapor. The work as well as they do because they take little space, have high heat capacity (probably more than the glass glazing in the oven walls I bet?) and perhaps most important have lots of surface area to transfer the heat fast and are spread through the load (as opposed to only being on the outside).

Just draw the vapor off slowly, no 'faster than it wants to come' and give it plenty of time between hits to recover the heat (remember, it only gets colder as soon as you start the hit).

Even bigger smiles await you.

Cheers.

OF

This should be included with any tutorial for any of the portable vaporizers. Read this and KeroZen's posts about drawing slowly earlier while I was at work. Home now so adjusted accordingly. Now, I already love my ascent (and my mflb & indica), but the results were improved dramatically.

Great stuff everyone

hoptimum

hate it after 3 weeks i bought the herbalizer local store 4 a steal 680.00 and free big tobaccoo elecric grinder 50 bucks so i saved atleast 180 bucks and with this fan option its great ascent sucks for me i like clean vap lots of and feeling great no urge for other ways to do it herba;iazer did it for me after davinci failed davinci please take returns its brand new

Are you sure it was the Ascent that failed and not you?

hoptimum,
Reactions: Smknbud

adamm

With the help the other day from a few members my experiences with this vape has definitely improved, thanks again chaps. I currently have a half load in at the minute and have been high off it on 3 different occasions, soon to be 4.

I did a full load (loose) compacted down into a half load (excuse the lack of weights)
Day 1 170, 175, and 180.
Day 2 same load I did another go at 180, 185, 190
day 3 185 again 190 and 195 I think can't remember now but maybe a bit at 200.

Each time I have been to a point where I am happy with how high I am, a bit later today I'll probably go at it again and finish it off with a 200, 210, and maybe a 220. Very very happy with this thing, dunno if I was just using my mflb wrong all this time but imo, it's well and truly worth the extra ££, absolutely blows it out the water.

Just another question I have, has anyone actually used this device with glycerol liquids? I see davinci state it can be used with glycerol but I have had no success in finding anything about anyone actually trying it and how they went about doing it. I don't actually intend on doing this myself as its not my thing but it interests me. I guess you could put a few drops in the oil can, squish a bit of cotton down ontop so it absorbs the liquid and then heat it up to whatever temp it takes to get vapour production..

This thing is pretty useless for me with any concentrates. Makes a huge mess and way more hassle than it's worth. A shame really :(

hamburgerman,

adamm

This thing is pretty useless for me with any concentrates. Makes a huge mess and way more hassle than it's worth. A shame really :(

From what I have read in this thread I don't think it actually performs very well using the oil cans but there is a few other ways like putting it in with the plant or with organic cotton.

CarolKing

It's been talked about a lot that most users haven't had any luck with the oil cans. Try mixing any wax with the herb. Also try putting the wax in cotton. You just put it in the bowl, don't use the oil can.

Read through the thread a bit. Get educated with using the Ascent. Some things have been talked about a lot, skip over those parts. At least read the last 20 or 30 pages.:)

Last edited:

nojail101

doing the math at average temp of 380 F the davinci ascent will last at BEST 16.7 hours at best thats why its only a 90 day warranty !!! on batteries i speak of only but what do you do when battery goes bad and how do you know its bad and not something else so when you send it back you don’t get a extra charge for it not tech being broke idk just wondering ? ii have the herbalizer and things have been the best they ever been shotgun myself a whip balloons like 6 and they hold and fill in 45 seconds with the thickest smoke i ever seen period thickest smoke hit fan button and it blows it fast basically a greta way to waste whatever you put in it but get it all in you’re lungs and you’re good plus no learning curve just a great grinder like the 40$ to 30 dollar electric one i have makes it last and work so long and way less in the hammer then the assent last way longer for 1/5th the amount just had to tell you guys that are new like me about 2 years plus its rated number 1 overall vap all over one site to check is vap critic its right there as best overall save the money and get the herbalizer i wasted 300 bucks 2 weeks ago on ascent i know ones portable ones not but as long as you have a plug around the herby is so small like a egg exactly look at it plus defunkdefy the room real quick boost fan have a bag or 3 and a whip at same time and shotgun yourself SAVE YOURE MONEY I GOT MINE LOCALLY FOR 700 AND FREE 40 GRINDDER ELECTRIC ONE ITS UNDER WARRANTY AND ALL ALREADY CALLED MY SHOPS LEGIT BOUGHT MY ASCENT SAME PLACE SO I KNOW MY STUFF IS REAL I WARRANTIED EVERYTHING I OWN SAVE YOUR LOOT AND WAIT TO USE AT A PLUG THERE EVERYWHERE EVEN OUTSIDE A LIGHTBULB POWERS IT FIRST OF ITS KIND 7 SECONDS YOURE AT 445F B4 ITS CONDISERED SMOKING LIKE A CIGGERETE OR SO AT 551 F SO ITS THAT PRECISE BUT HELP ME WITH THIS ASENT SHOULD I USE THE ELCTRIC GRINDER OR REG ONE THE ELECTRI IS LIKE DUST

nojail101,

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
doing the math at average temp of 380 F the davinci ascent will last at BEST 16.7 hours at best thats why its only a 90 day warranty !!! on batteries i speak of only but what do you do when battery goes bad and how do you know its bad and not something else so when you send it back you don’t get a extra charge for it not tech being broke idk just wondering ?
Umm... you need to account for a lot more than just "average X is Y" because in real use, when the heater is cooled from the draw, the battery has to compensate for that. Heating from cold uses more battery than heating from when you turned it off 30 seconds ago. Battery warranties are a fickle thing since they're consumable. 5 years for a battery warranty for this vape is kind of ridiculous I'd say. Not sure what will happen when the batteries dive, hopefully some sort of replacement program. Removable batteries were in the works but according to them their lawyers told them not to do it. This battery thing isn't specific to the Ascent either.

Quetzalcoatl,

nojail101

I have an Fbomb knockoff from DHgate (Less than $30 shipped) - rarely use it. Don't buy the U-shaped gong, get the straight GONG. The thing I hated about a PNWT is that you have to crane your neck to use it, it doesn't feel "comfortable" - I much prefer my D020 and D020-w bubblers.

Honestly, I don't use my ascent through water as there isn't enough heat in the ascent to keep up with filling a chamber with any visible vapor (I'd be impressed to see a milk-shot with the Ascent, but have yet to see one). If I'm vaping through water, I use my other vapes.
DID U SELL IT ?

Umm... you need to account for a lot more than just "average X is Y" because in real use, when the heater is cooled from the draw, the battery has to compensate for that. Heating from cold uses more battery than heating from when you turned it off 30 seconds ago. Battery warranties are a fickle thing since they're consumable. 5 years for a battery warranty for this vape is kind of ridiculous I'd say. Not sure what will happen when the batteries dive, hopefully some sort of replacement program. Removable batteries were in the works but according to them their lawyers told them not to do it. This battery thing isn't specific to the Ascent either.
IM just saying for people who work hard for their money save for the herbalizer look at the forums no problems at all at 1st i thought mine wasn’t working right then i realized i missed a small detail being lifted lol just saying if u can deal with a wall unit u need a plug for it then save for it the ligghtbulbs are known to last 30 years i know this use to sell lightbulbs an i know the good ones can last we will see so far great and the forum not one problem on there like this one i made a mistake the ascent burns to much herb whig where i live exotic is 20 bucks a g so assent when grinded holds a lot and burns quick on me i got it working at its best works but after this herby im wondering what other prtabkes to try cause ascent aint cutting it i was thnkin PAX but i see them on ebay for 100 too 250 i think pax won’t cover 1 bought on ebay and i don’t know if there real for the 200 ones i see brand new 100% feedback people have and couple peole have thousands feedback but i like my local store spent 1500 bucks in 2 weeks of finding them lol they love me and will give me units if they break brand new and send it back i don’t know anyone who offers that if mine breaks i get brand new one same hour pax 250 with him he probably do 200 with all i spent plus ascent was 300 waste he wont even restock them neither does artifacts a well known smoke shop 89 years old google them they all say not good enough to sell to there customers call and ask but they have the pax its on cottman ave phila pa artifacts my family owns it but my mom aunt does but they hate each other so i don’t go there unless i have to but call there known thru out the tri state 3 states that all know of them like if u ask do they know of pepsi lol there pros call and ask do they sell ascent an when they say no ask why ? watch what they say they have pax and the herbalizer

CarolKing

It's hard to read text if you don't use some spaces between paragraphs.

Some people have had few problems with the Ascent. More folks are going to comment on problems, than if they are if they are happy. FC is a very small representative of the Ascent market. All my vapes are portables. I enjoy using the Ascent. I love the taste and being able to dial in the temp that you want. Being able to enjoy the different variety of the various herb favors that's available is a big benefit.

I may buy the Herbie when the price comes down.

I enjoy my Solo, it works great as a plugin. No problems here. I am very happy with my portable vaporizer family.:lmao::)

Last edited:

hoptimum

Very few herb vaporizers handle concentrates equally well
IM just saying for people who work hard for their money save for the herbalizer look at the forums no problems at all at 1st i thought mine wasn’t working right then i realized i missed a small detail being lifted lol just saying if u can deal with a wall unit u need a plug for it then save for it the ligghtbulbs are known to last 30 years i know this use to sell lightbulbs an i know the good ones can last we will see so far great and the forum not one problem on there like this one i made a mistake the ascent burns to much herb whig where i live exotic is 20 bucks a g so assent when grinded holds a lot and burns quick on me i got it working at its best works but after this herby im wondering what other prtabkes to try cause ascent aint cutting it i was thnkin PAX but i see them on ebay for 100 too 250 i think pax won’t cover 1 bought on ebay and i don’t know if there real for the 200 ones i see brand new 100% feedback people have and couple peole have thousands feedback but i like my local store spent 1500 bucks in 2 weeks of finding them lol they love me and will give me units if they break brand new and send it back i don’t know anyone who offers that if mine breaks i get brand new one same hour pax 250 with him he probably do 200 with all i spent plus ascent was 300 waste he wont even restock them neither does artifacts a well known smoke shop 89 years old google them they all say not good enough to sell to there customers call and ask but they have the pax its on cottman ave phila pa artifacts my family owns it but my mom aunt does but they hate each other so i don’t go there unless i have to but call there known thru out the tri state 3 states that all know of them like if u ask do they know of pepsi lol there pros call and ask do they sell ascent an when they say no ask why ? watch what they say they have pax and the herbalizer

FYI, You don't need to spend $700 to get good vapor. And BTW, my Ascent is perfect so far.

It's hard to read text if you don't use some spaces between paragraphs.

Some people have had few problems with the. Ascent. More folks are going to comment on problems, than if they are happy. FC is a very small representative of the Ascent market. All my vapes are portables. I enjoy using the Ascent. I love the taste and being able to dial in the temp that you want. Being able to enjoy the different variety of the various herb favors that's available.

I may buy the Herbie when the price comes down.

I enjoy my Solo, it works great as a plugin. No problems here. I am very happy with my portable vaporizer family.:lmao::)

I'm with you, CarolKing. No problems with the Ascent whatsoever.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
DID U SELL IT ?

First, this is the Ascent thread. If you prefer the Herbalizer, you should praise it in its own thread and not here.

Second, the rules say:
  • Proofread your posts for clarity and quality. Semantics, spelling, punctuation and grammar are important when conveying thoughts and information in a text-based medium.
You do not use paragraphs and even worse, you don't separate sentences with periods. Your posts are exceptionally hard to read. You are not getting your point across because almost no one will take the time to parse out what you are saying. Please clean up your posting style.

Anyone ever use their ascent to decarb? Any tips? Screens etc? Time/temp?

Thinking about making glycerine tincture for ecig

Last edited:
chester222,
Top Bottom