Ascent Vaporizer by Da Vinci (pre-sale thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

1_gr8_underdog

Trapped in the Astral Planes Back from the dead
My big question now is when it will be available, because today was supposed to be day but in some places of the USA the day its over and there is no way to buy it... so DaVinci, should be great if you could clarify!

Thanks,

M.
Regarding the release date, due to some last minute changes and adjustments (nothing major we're waiting on some materials to come in) the release date has been pushed back a little. I anticipate 2 weeks, 3 at the very very most. March 31 was my...if everything goes absolutely perfect date, hence I wouldn't give a hard sale date, nor offer a pre-sale. I just know better, and I'm sure you guys do too.

Sorry if you guys see my over zealous rep in any other forums- most accurate info will always be here :)

Unfortunately, this is the only forum that I have time to personally manage, so hopefully you feel just a little special.

nigel

And shepherds we shall be,for Accuracy & Discovery
Reporting back from the Da Vinci operating room......success! The back is held on by 4 phillips head screws which are located underneath 4 rubber plugs. I removed the rubber plugs by using a finely pointed item (I used an exacto knife with a fine blade), unscrewed the four screws using a jewelers screwdriver available at hardware stores, Radio Shack, etc., gently and slowly removed the rear, viewable and easily accessible are 3 rectangular batteries (or cells) soldered together. On each battery reads: GPC802840 800 mAh, below this reads: 20120806 3.7V

approximate dimensions are: 35mm X 25mm X 8mm

Because this is not like working on a 1967 Buick there is some physical dexterity involved and a fine soldering iron would be required. It would take me < 1 hour to replace the 3 batteries, I suspect most others the same amount of time. I did a Google search for GPC802840 with no success, same result for 20120806. The 800 mAh and 3.7V is standard battery nomenclature for a 3.7 volt battery which can supply 0.8 A for 1 hour. NOT A DEAL BREAKER AT ALL!!

So now it comes down to locating the batteries. Let's see what we can find.

I love you, man.
:)

Let me get this straight, you just took apart a DaVinci to explain to us that this would work on the Ascent? Maybe you should post your findings in the correct thread, this is the Ascent thread.

we still need to keep it in the davinci thread. it is getting confusing in here when trying to determine who is talking about what. let's not get into hypothetical details about a vape that is not even out yet.

Look, 65% of this thread is speculation about a product THAT DOESN'T YET EXIST. 30% is people asking already addressed questions. 5% is actual info from the rep. (And that last number might be high.)

Although it *is* information about another device, it is relevant here, because Arfsdad is NOT providing data about another vape -- Arfsdad is providing information about a manufacturer's previous behavior, which could inform us as to potential future behavior.
I know *I* didn't think he was talking about the Ascent as I know no one (that isn't under an NDA) has one. But perhaps Arfsdad should have lead with the "this is about the old device" just to be clear.
It was *OBVIOUSLY* a post trying to speculate about what the Ascent might hold. And like the rest of the speculation, it is relevant.

And for my part, this is my speculation: The unit was designed to have removable batts, unlike their first device, but the rep told us they had to change it and add a cap. I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that this hastily added cap will NOT be as difficult as the previous device that was never designed to be removable.

harmudge

True...in a certain fashion...and he was trying to be helpful, I don't know too much about elec's, battery's etc so someone putting up posts like this are a great insight to me...even more so with a pic or two...although I do agree with stick's too, it could get confusing.
It's when battery's etc goes on for page after page...you have then lost my attention and skimming begins...:o

harmudge,

marvil701

Reporting back from the Da Vinci operating room......success! The back is held on by 4 phillips head screws which are located underneath 4 rubber plugs. I removed the rubber plugs by using a finely pointed item (I used an exacto knife with a fine blade), unscrewed the four screws using a jewelers screwdriver available at hardware stores, Radio Shack, etc., gently and slowly removed the rear, viewable and easily accessible are 3 rectangular batteries (or cells) soldered together. On each battery reads: GPC802840 800 mAh, below this reads: 20120806 3.7V

approximate dimensions are: 35mm X 25mm X 8mm

Because this is not like working on a 1967 Buick there is some physical dexterity involved and a fine soldering iron would be required. It would take me < 1 hour to replace the 3 batteries, I suspect most others the same amount of time. I did a Google search for GPC802840 with no success, same result for 20120806. The 800 mAh and 3.7V is standard battery nomenclature for a 3.7 volt battery which can supply 0.8 A for 1 hour. NOT A DEAL BREAKER AT ALL!!

So now it comes down to locating the batteries. Let's see what we can find.

Thanks man! This has just about convinced me to keep holding on to my money and invest it in an Ascent (rather than a Solo).

For some reason a lot of people here don't seem to get why this kind of information is really helpful even if they're not directly affected by this battery problem. Almost everyone here would like to see the Ascent retail at $200 or even less, if possible. Well, guess what - the more people buy this thing, the cheaper it will eventually become.

Oh and on the topic of (planned) obsolescence, here's another example of why I'm wary when it comes down to buying electronics these days: I bought an Eeepc 2 years ago. Not only did the battery die entirely (and a new one costs approx. $130), but the only moving part (mainboard fan) died as well. So now I was left with the choice of having it repaired for $150 or buying the $10 replacement fan and doing it myself.
I'm sure most of you have never had this kind of bad luck, but I've had enough of that nonsense, which is why I'd rather put a new device to the test BEFORE buying it. And that includes long-term functionality.

marvil701,

Arfsdad

Thanks man! This has just about convinced me to keep holding on to my money and invest it in an Ascent (rather than a Solo).

For some reason a lot of people here don't seem to get why this kind of information is really helpful even if they're not directly affected by this battery problem. Almost everyone here would like to see the Ascent retail at $200 or even less, if possible. Well, guess what - the more people buy this thing, the cheaper it will eventually become.

Oh and on the topic of (planned) obsolescence, here's another example of why I'm wary when it comes down to buying electronics these days: I bought an Eeepc 2 years ago. Not only did the battery die entirely (and a new one costs approx. $130), but the only moving part (mainboard fan) died as well. So now I was left with the choice of having it repaired for $150 or buying the $10 replacement fan and doing it myself.
I'm sure most of you have never had this kind of bad luck, but I've had enough of that nonsense, which is why I'd rather put a new device to the test BEFORE buying it. And that includes long-term functionality.
I have my own theories as to why the reaction is as such, but will remain silent. My goal was to help people by donating my professional expertise of 40 years (electrical engineering) and help this forum as a whole. The positive comments show I have helped some and they bring me joy:) , the other comments dissuade me from any more postings. Good luck.

You do realize that the guy who dissected his vape and found the batteries was dissecting a Da Vinci vaporizer (version 1, not the ascent). The ascent may not be as easy to open up. Also, soldering batteries together does not seem like the best idea. Only time will tell, but an in depth video from Da Vinci would be nice...

josephaltier,

toros23

I have my own theories as to why the reaction is as such, but will remain silent. My goal was to help people by donating my professional expertise of 40 years (electrical engineering) and help this forum as a whole. The positive comments show I have helped some and they bring me joy:) , the other comments dissuade me from any more postings. Good luck.

Arfsdad - Nobody wants you to quit posting.. We can all appreciate your expertise and the fact that you are trying to help out so please do not be dissuaded from posting and contributing in the future.

XGerpXDerpX

Someone needs to use 18650 or 16340 batteries in a vaporizer, they do 3.7-4.2 volts and you can have spares, internal batteries not user replaceable is a shitty idea. I been into ecigs for years and I never buy one that you cant replace battery yourself. Just my 2cents

XGerpXDerpX,

marvil701

You do realize that the guy who dissected his vape and found the batteries was dissecting a Da Vinci vaporizer (version 1, not the ascent). The ascent may not be as easy to open up. Also, soldering batteries together does not seem like the best idea. Only time will tell, but an in depth video from Da Vinci would be nice...

Of course I do ... as Arfsdad explained: knowing what the inner workings of the original Davinci look like will give us some basic info of how hard it will be to disassemble the Ascent.
I'll have to abuse Apple again as an example: they are notoriously known for locking down their products as much as possible ever since the iPod showed up in 2004. Since then I haven't ever bothered with any of their products again.
Now in the case of Davinci I wasn't going to dig through 80 pages on these forums just to find out whether or not (or rather: how badly) they lock down their products.

marvil701,

Pistasha

Does anyone have a link that shows a picture of the gog adaptor they were talking about giving the people that order the ascent that are on this thread?

Pistasha,

VaporEyes

Vaporization Aficionado
Accessory Maker
Does anyone have a link that shows a picture of the gog adaptor they were talking about giving the people that order the ascent that are on this thread?

They're not in this thread(that I know of). Check here. Adobewan's design was ultimately chosen.

VaporEyes,

Herbal Ant

IMO it's Adobe's fault they haven't come out yet. :razz: DV trying to figure out how to hold the weight on that little glass stem without it snapping, and the Ascent falling to the floor. :mental:

Herbal Ant,

Medicine Man Dan

Finally made an account. been lurkin for a while. followed most of the pax thread this thread and a couple others. Thank you to the forum for convincing me to wait on this little gem. I was gunna wait till i actually owned one to get on this bad boy but. meh. F**k it. the anticipation is killing me!! gunna preregister soon
. thanks for the link

Medicine Man Dan,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom