• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Ascent Vaporizer by Da Vinci (pre-sale thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nigel

And shepherds we shall be,for Accuracy & Discovery
Nigel I guess if the glass sits there with no lid and the oilin it, I believe it just waits to heat up and wait for conduction to happen.
When you draw on it with no lid there would only up ward pressure and no circulation, within the glass cannister.
The holes would cause and circulation within the glass cannister with oil it in.
If the air is sealed then drawing in the stem with no lid would only cause it to come up( that's what your hearing in wills video) the upward pressure cause its a sealed air path.
Having the holes in the lid would cause air to move through it ( the glass canister) and heat the oil properly producing vapor through conduction and radiation.
Will is just suck the glass can up and down with no air moving across the oil its stagnet.100% pressure up and down, not through or over the oil.
Medical, mark

I really need diagrams to discuss this at this point.
:)

You are right as to the conduction of the glass.

The holes on the top ONLY accommodate ingress because nature (and household pets) abhors a vacuum. You need that delta T from the conduction to alter the internal pressure. And for that you need the cap.

Otherwise, the path of least resistance is PAST the holes, NOT through them.

But, both you and I are frustrated by the lack of experimental test equipment. Until we can remedy this, at best, we can only make assumptions (like for example, gaps for airflow)

nigel,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I can tell you that looking at the oil design leaves me wondering how it works as well. It's a glass can with no holes in the bottom of it. The rubber lid, which fits perfectly, has two tiny holes in it. However it works won't rely on airflow through or over the oil, as it appears it just 'conductions up'. I have some of DV's oils on the way, so I will at least be able to tell you how it works with oil of some kind.

DV did get back to me after my reclaim pop and said to leave the lid off the can unless I was using low temps. If that's the case then there is no way around holding it upright. Almost like it was designed to be used with oil after the entire rig is set up. Maybe the lid is to be used while in transit to eliminate spills and can be taken off when you are ready to enjoy your oils in an upright position...I'm not sure yet. I do think, however, that cotton is the way to go here. Vitolo has been using oil for reclaim vaping in a lot of his devices forever. You can soak up the oil and have it in the bowl until you are ready. You also won't have to worry about orientation while in travel or in use.

kief -- I seem to remember using keif only once when sandwiched in my cotton. It hit well and came out darkly spent, so I think it worked fine. If you wanted to pack an entire load of kief I would suggest a very thin layer of cotton on top and bottom to keep the unit clean and the kief from leaving the bowl.

whistle again -- If SliM looked and determined it was coming from the grill area then he has done more looking than I. When mine whistled for a couple of sessions I chalked it up to wet stems. I am going to test this again in the next day or two.

Shit -- I was supposed to put some pics up of this thing and do some load size comparisons...sorry that's not done yet!

stickstones

Vapor concierge
just to keep expectations in check...I'll do a before, but no after...I'm not gonna use all those ports. If my scale is good enough at lower weights I will use it, otherwise it will come down to subjective comment.

Here's some pics:

Bottom

EDIT:
So I put the clean air path in slightly wet on the inside (dried the outsides of the glass) and was able to get a little whistle with the right draw speed...the same whistle I heard before. The weird thing is it goes away when I twist the bottom slightly. SliM thinks it is related to the grill area and it may be given what I just did.

but I definitely only get the whistle when it's wet, which makes the twisting result puzzling to me.

lookhigh

FC member
About the oil jars, maybe the glass stem can be pushed down on the plastic lid, and maybe on of the holes lines up therefore creating a vacuum in the jar.

lookhigh,

Vaporito

Seeing the black one looks so good.. I was set on the Burl wood but the black one is so stealh... but then again so is my original Davinci.. do I really one two black ones ? i see the burl wood more like the mercedes benz, or lexus of vapes so it cries out for wood...

Decisions... decisions.... decisions...

Vaporito,
Reactions: Buyola

Green_Weed

I like the Croc Model ;)

But most important for me now is to clarify the flavor silicone and whistle

sorry my english :tup:

Regards from Portugal

Green_Weed,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I just packed a glass Solo stem like I usually do...filled and lightly tamped (sorry about the scale...only goes as low as 0.1 which will be no good here). I then transferred that to the Ascent bowl and when packed down like you would use it, it took up about 1/3 to 1/4 of the bowl. I used this amount packed just the same the other day with good results...no cotton needed.

So, if you are the type that needs more than one Solo stem for a session, this one can get you there and then some. I think using partial bowls and even cotton for the really smaller ones will be key to efficiency. but it's nice to know that this just broadens the appeal...nice for small loads for misers like me and good for big loads for real needs.

EDIT: green-weed...the flavor and whistle are not showing up as issues in my usage. The taste is fucking phenomenal, so just forget about that one altogether. As for the whistle, I have been able to replicate it, but I don't know why it happens. DV is looking into it, but I think it is a non issue. Mine only whistles when the glass is wet.

Vaporito

Sticks, next time it whistles, try turning the glass mouthpiece around a few times, I bet adjusting the way it sits will remove the whistle right away...

Vaporito,

marvil701

I just packed a glass Solo stem like I usually do...filled and lightly tamped (sorry about the scale...only goes as low as 0.1 which will be no good here). I then transferred that to the Ascent bowl and when packed down like you would use it, it took up about 1/3 to 1/4 of the bowl. I used this amount packed just the same the other day with good results...no cotton needed.

So, if you are the type that needs more than one Solo stem for a session, this one can get you there and then some. I think using partial bowls and even cotton for the really smaller ones will be key to efficiency. but it's nice to know that this just broadens the appeal...nice for small loads for misers like me and good for big loads for real needs.

I'm quite intrigued by the idea of using cotton. This probably means having less conduction than convection (depending on how fast the heat is dissipated throughout the cotton), so this might be another selling point for the Ascent, although this should work with any vape with large enough bowl.
Thanks for pointing out that mistake about the Solo, got a bit confused there. Keep up the great work on reviewing this thing sticks!

marvil701,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
The noise is not a big deal... Other vaporizers I own make louder "whistling" noises then this. If you use it properly and don't draw to fast you don't hear it. Consider it an audible indicator of drawing to fast... HEY! Now it is a feature. ;)

Taste is subjective, but it taste plenty good to me. Considering the luck I have had with some other portables... *cough* PuFFiT :puke: *cough*. I feel like the taste/material safety is top notch.

On the Munch

DV
Any chance of making glass oil jars with a small hole in the bottom as an additional item? It would probably bring in some extra revenue.

On the Munch,

Shrike

Flower Potted, Maxed, & Rio'd.
Won't putting a small hole in the bottom allow oil to seep down through it or at the very least block the hole? Or am I not aware of how this would work? Probably the latter...:)

Shrike,

vaping Raven

Just joined once I heard the goodnews. For a second I thought this was *incoming bad pun* vaporware, but I am happily mistaken. For SliM, THR, and sticks, can you eventually make a benchmark chart for this vs the solo, inh, and other relevant units. No rush, you should take some time to decide on complete information. Also you mentioned great build quality. Have any of you dropped it to test its shock-handling capabilities. I'd understand if you haven't I'd treat this thing like a baby if had it.

vaping Raven,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
marvel...I have been meaning to bring this up, but I think this unit also employs a fair amount of radiation like the mflb does. So while the cotton can eliminate direct touching with the glass, the center of the bowl still gets hot.

As far as I am concerned, this is a silent vape...mine doesn't whistle unless I want it to.

Shrike...you are right. Munch appears to working on his zero gravity oil unit.

Raven...hell no! and I ain't gonna, either!

stickstones,
Reactions: Shrike

marduk

daydreamer
Won't putting a small hole in the bottom allow oil to seep down through it or at the very least block the hole? Or am I not aware of how this would work? Probably the latter...:)

If the hole is placed on the side close to the bottom but not too close, I don't think it would be a problem.

marduk,

Shrike

Flower Potted, Maxed, & Rio'd.
If the hole is placed on the side close to the bottom but not too close, I don't think it would be a problem.

Is the fit of the oil can in the Ascent loose enough for the flow of air from a hole "near" the bottom?

EveryDayAmnesiac

Hey, guys. Been watching this thread from day 1 and I don't think this question has come up yet. Tried searching, didn't find anything. If it has, I do humbly apologize. But I really want to know this.

Has there been any mention of an a/c adapter like the Solo has, so you can plug the Ascent in without affecting the battery, not charging it, etc? I would love to see that some point down the line. I know I plan on taking the Ascent with me everywhere, and sometimes, that will be to a friend's house where we'll just be sitting on the couch anyway and I'd love to be able to use it without using up any lifetime battery levels. Or will the charger compensate for this already if using it when the battery is full? I don't know much about batteries or chargers so if someone could help me out here, I'd greatly appreciate it. I would just like to be able to use this as a desktop vape and save the battery if I can at times.

Can't wait for this thing to be released! I haven't been this excited since... well... those dancing pandas...

marduk

daydreamer
Is the fit of the oil can in the Ascent loose enough for the flow of air from a hole "near" the bottom?

I'd imagine it is... if there wasn't any airflow around the oil can, how would you be able to draw when it only has holes at the top?

marduk,
Reactions: Shrike

stickstones

Vapor concierge
you can use it while charging, if that answers your question.

if you're wondering whether this type of usage has a negative effect on the battery...I have no idea. I will leave that one for the battery experts.

EveryDayAmnesiac

you can use it while charging, if that answers your question.

No, I understand that already, due to Nigel's helpful Wiki page. I'm more wondering the second part, and if DaVinci has ever mentioned if they've got an adapter idea that can let you use it without affecting the battery - i.e., a possible future accessory. I assume this would greatly increase the battery's overall lifetime?

EveryDayAmnesiac,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I don't know, amnesiac, but I would doubt this would come out. The reason the Solo has one is due to the lack of functionality built into the first one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom