Ascent Vaporizer by Da Vinci (pre-sale thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nigel

And shepherds we shall be,for Accuracy & Discovery
The vapor does seem weak with the oil can. I wonder if using the lid for the oil can would help?

Answer me this: Why is there a lid in the first place? HINT: Is is not "so you can turn the unit sideways".

nigel,
Reactions: Shrike

VaporBaked

He draws to hard... you can hear the glass oil canister moving up and down and making a clinking noise as he inhales.

I have not tried the oil yet, but the premise reminds me of the Mircro Dabber accessory for the Solo that came out last year .

I will try oil before the official review. I am currently out and short on cash at the moment.

He also draws slow during the video to show both slow and fast draws. I think the glass was clinking because he pushed down on the inside piece. I took it as DV told him to try that....

Answer me this: Why is there a lid in the first place? HINT: Is is not "so you can turn the unit sideways".

Yup that's what I was getting at:D

I didn't read that post before I posted...my bad

mod note: Please avoid back-to-back posts, use Edit instead. Two posts merged.

VaporBaked,
Reactions: nigel

nigel

Yup that's what I was getting at:D

:)

From my previous post above:
The lid affects the airflow, so why use the device incorrectly to review it? Wouldn't make more sense to use it properly FIRST, and then do tests changing stuff up? (Like our FC reviewers are doing?)

WHICH IS NOT TO SAY that there aren't better ways than the engineers designed to use the device. I mean, the designers are experts in their field (Of which will is *NOT* despite him thinking his puffing is "science")...

But designers can't think of everything.

So one experiments...

I believe it was JRR that found a better solution to use the oil can for the original DaVinci. But he started using it as designed, then modified according to hypothesis, collected data, then revised hypothesis.

VapeLife Will just seems to "do stuff" (BIG FUCKING HINT: that's not "science"). But he doesn't care about actually figuring out how to maximize usage for a device. He's in the business of collecting views.

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
Not sure if this was asked or covered, but to sticks, slim and THR, do you know if the buttons on your review units are pre or post button revision?

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd,

nigel

Not sure if this was asked or covered, but to sticks, slim and THR, do you know if the buttons on your review units are pre or post button revision?
That's an easy one: They do NOT have final versions.

EDIT: Found quote

I was told the only differences between this unit and the production units they are awaiting are simple cosmetic issues...the seams don't line up perfectly and the buttons stick out a little bit. I don't know what they are talking about with the seams...they look fine to me. But I get the button changes. Right now they stick out a little bit and have pointed corners. This can be improved a little and they are doing just that. I know some are getting impatient, but the improvements will be worth the wait and it gives me great hope for the unit and the company...it shows a perfectionist attitude that cares about the details.

--------------------------------------------
I just received my Davinci Ascent today !
Unboxing video here and full review coming soon

Allow me to point out that this "reviewer" 1) has not participated in this thread previously, 2) has a post count so low that he is NOT a contributor to FC so much as a passer-by (the previous posts were almost exactly a year ago), 3) shows up when there is a video to promote, 4) knows little about the vape he is reviewing or how it works (see previous post), and 5) only showed up to say "go click on my video and give me more views" [and hadn't been back since].

I had originally given a like to the post, but I have now removed it as not being worthy.

SiDankies

I wonder if he would get different results heating up with the glass container inside from the start.. Then add the oil..
Of course he would .. I always let my Solo heat up with the stem already in and my first hit is crazy good.

SiDankies,

MidwestBeast

recently but constantly Vaked
If the whistle is coming from where it swivels... then try a rubber band type bracelet over the slot.... if DV told him to push the inside glass down then why not try a cheap Seal to test it out.. if the whistle comes from the bottom... then that is how it is supposed to be.. I recommended this earlier but it was disregarded... but with all this talk about a whistle.. it sounds like I'm not the only one concerned.. if someone tries it then make sure the band you chose can take the heat if it is hot where the band would be on the unit

I also think a stylish band with Da Vinci or Ascent printed on it would help with stealth as that you wouldn't be able to see that the unit opens.. or as an accessory item that could be any color.. black for stealth obviously

MidwestBeast,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
It does not come from the seal on the side. You don't need to do such an elaborate test. If draw fast and put your hand over the bottom of the device the sound changes. Holding your fingers around the seal on the side does nothing to change the noise. The sound is coming from the bottom of the device near the grill.

nigel

If the whistle is coming from where it swivels... then try a rubber band type bracelet over the slot.... if DV told him to push the inside glass down then why not try a cheap Seal to test it out.. if the whistle comes from the bottom... then that is how it is supposed to be.. I recommended this earlier but it was disregarded... but with all this talk about a whistle.. it sounds like I'm not the only one concerned..

I'm the one that originally mentioned the whistle.

I now deeply regret that.
:p

It does not come from the seal on the side. You don't need to do such an elaborate test.....The sound is coming from the bottom of the device near the grill.
Thank you SLiM.

nigel,

On the Munch

Hey Sticks i read your post pages ago of how you sandwiched kief in between your bud. Have you tried vaping just kief alone?
I bought the original DV to vape h_sh (kief?) and found it worked nicely after breaking it up a bit in the oil cans with the hole in the bottom. A long, slow draw produced great vapor and effects.
I'm a bit concerned after watching Vapelife's video using the cans. Since the Ascent's glass cans don't have the hole in the bottom, it doesn't seem to allow nice airflow through the material and out the top hole like the DV. Do you think the Ascent can handle that stuff without having to mix it?

Thanks to all the reviewers for the info and answers. It's taken me 2 days to catch up on all the pages I missed!

On the Munch,

Medical Mark

Maybe instead of using those containers for the oil just use cotton like sticks did with his herb I gaurantee it works and will probably work better then the glass.
Like I mentioned before I believe the glass absorbs alot of the needed heat to vaporize the oil.
Remove the glass use cotton and you should see better results I would imagine.
Medical mark

nigel

Since the Ascent's glass cans don't have the hole in the bottom

CITATION NEEDED

EDIT: I thought TheHerbalReview had a shot I could find that clearly showed the oil cans (only shot I found was a side shot). I also thought there was a bottom opening, like what I understand is in the DaVinci oil cans. I could be wrong about both, which is why I'm asking for proof one way or the other.

EDIT: Rude boy provided more input in following statement

nigel,

Rexxe

Hey guys,

I'm just wondering, for those that have the Ascent, if you think it would be a good first vape. I have never vaped before and just want to know if this one is a good one to get for a first-timer. Thanks for all your comments about the Ascent too, they have been very helpful.

Thanks!

Medical Mark

Maybe DV should make a can like in there davinci SS can with absorbent material to soak up the oil.
Place one of those in the chamber and place your oil on that, its able to allow air to flow though it.
This would also work well, the plenty also has a type of pad for oils which would work.
Medical mark

Medical Mark,

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
CITATION NEEDED

EDIT: I thought TheHerbalReview had a shot I could find that clearly showed the oil cans (only shot I found was a side shot). I also thought there was a bottom opening, like what I understand is in the DaVinci oil cans. I could be wrong about both, which is why I'm asking for proof one way or the other.

There is no airpath through the glass containers I was corrected by DV earlier in the thread when I said there must be one for air flow .

RUDE BOY,

nigel

Like I mentioned before I believe the glass absorbs alot of the needed heat to vaporize the oil.

MM -- the oil cans have been DESIGNED to produce a specific result. Not that I don't think your cotton idea is bad (I think, from everything I've read, that would be fine). My raising this issue is more about the airpath that the oil cans generate. We have ZERO data (No, I do not call Vapelife Will's video data, as that is a slap across the face of data) on the performance of the oil cans.

So, in fact, the glass might have more to do with "directing heat" than "absorbing heat". We don't know.

for those that have the Ascent, if you think it would be a good first vape.

Three people here have the Ascent, and I will speculate they are far from beginners.

Also your needs are your needs. None of us know what those are. That being said, this could very well be a good starter vape, in addition to a great portable vape for all.

I think, for the time being, there are too many unanswered questions here to even address yours. Some devices have a "learning curve" and this might not be an exception.

In general, I can say two things: A) welcome to the forum, and B) *I* suspect this would be a great starter, but jury is out, and don't hate me if that is proven wrong.

--------------------

There is no airpath through the glass containers I was corrected by DV earlier in the thread when I said there must be one for air flow .

Wow. Thank you.

I don't know how the fit is for the oil can to bowl, but that leaves little for flow. Interesting.

EDIT: I'm having a lot of trouble with this. Of course I have no unit to test, but I'm trying to imagine all of the scenarios for airflow in this situation. Odd. Very odd. I guess I can see that the temp produces a phase shift, which in turn produces pressure enough to forge gasses into airflow... but still... weird.

I need empirical data.

nigel,

Medical Mark

I totally agree with you Nigel just a thought if. It turns out that ya it just doesn't heat up enough, that's all.
Using the lids makes sense to me there's 3 holes on the lid there for if you were to draw on the unit air would pass through.
Its there for a reason right. I won't know until I have one in my hand I guess. I just know what works and in this case I don't.
I don't own one yet.
Medical mark

Medical Mark,

nigel

I totally agree with you Nigel just a thought if. It turns out that ya it just doesn't heat up enough, that's all.
Using the lids makes sense to me there's 3 holes on the lid there for if you were to draw on the unit air would pass through.
Its there for a reason right. I won't know until I have one in my hand I guess. I just know what works and in this case I don't.
I don't own one yet.
Medical mark

Yeah... I normally agree with you. That is... when I can understand you.
:p

Heh... Yup. It's there for a reason. But still, doing simple airflow analysis, the only way I can see it works is by the increased pressure produced by the lid (Yup. Vapelife Will never has seen the inside of a physics/chem classroom). It doesn't draw air "though" (as there is no ingress), but rather depends on a delta T for pressure change.

None of us own one yet. (yet!)
So we all speculate...

nigel,

Poopman525

From my previous post above:

WHICH IS NOT TO SAY that there aren't better ways than the engineers designed to use the device. I mean, the designers are experts in their field (Of which will is *NOT* despite him thinking his puffing is "science")...

But designers can't think of everything.

So one experiments...

I believe it was JRR that found a better solution to use the oil can for the original DaVinci. But he started using it as designed, then modified according to hypothesis, collected data, then revised hypothesis.

VapeLife Will just seems to "do stuff" (BIG FUCKING HINT: that's not "science"). But he doesn't care about actually figuring out how to maximize usage for a device. He's in the business of collecting views.

I agree, he seems like the type of guy who would not read the directions and then complains when the product malfunctions/breaks. I don't know about the lid or the oil situation but he's clearly hitting too fast in the other vid. I also notice he sticks the glass stem half way into his mouth to hit it, the almost wraps his mouth around the whole head of the device to hit it the alternate way. I don't think that's necessary haha. He certainly seems to be reaching to find problems with this device. That whole thing about the seal between the two glass pieces was ridiculous lol. Good work as always Nigel :clap:

Poopman525,

rsqemt911

I emailed for clarification and this is what I reviewed:

XXXXX,

DaVinci is in Las Vegas & we are in SoCal, so there is a one day transit time.

As with any new product, the 1st shipment does have a longer clearance time, but I would assume that at the latest they will ship out next week to our customers.

I’m going to send out a mass email tomorrow letting everyone know that we are just waiting for the product to arrive from DV.

The main thing is that all the units are working great, so it is just a matter of us receiving them. Although it has been a long process, I respect DaVinci for wanting to make this first shipment correct; as this is going to be the top portable Vaporizer on the market.

J Nano

rsqemt911,
Reactions: Dreamerr

nigel

I agree, he seems like the type of guy who would not read the directions and then complains when the product malfunctions/breaks...

We have three excellent people here that have their own versions of the devices in hand: Slightly Medicated (SLiM), TheHerbalReview, and stickstones.

They have all proven themselves as reviewers that would rather reserve proclamation, pending analysis. They would rather get it right, than target viewcount. I might not agree with all of their findings, but I will trust their opinions as being well thought-out, articulate, and perfectly positioned for their needs. (which may or may not be my own, but I at least know that going into it).

From everything they have said, they have proven they have voices that should be listened to.

These other "reviewers" that don't even understand the device, nor can stop long enough to actually test it properly, lest it interfere with their YouTube view count... well...
They are socialmediawhores. Fine if that is their business model. That's their thing for driving traffic and grabbing eyeballs.

But that doesn't belong here.

Good work as always Nigel :clap:

Thank you, good sir of poop.

I just try to keep things accurate. I can NOT provide the value our reviewers do. Please pay extra attention to SLiM, Sticks, and THR.

At this point, I'm just noise.

Rexxe

Three people here have the Ascent, and I will speculate they are far from beginners.

Also your needs are your needs. None of us know what those are. That being said, this could very well be a good starter vape, in addition to a great portable vape for all.

I think, for the time being, there are too many unanswered questions here to even address yours. Some devices have a "learning curve" and this might not be an exception.

In general, I can say two things: A) welcome to the forum, and B) *I* suspect this would be a great starter, but jury is out, and don't hate me if that is proven wrong.

Cool, thanks for the reply, Nigel. No worries, I won't h0ld you accountable :)

Rexxe,

Medical Mark

Nigel I guess if the glass sits there with no lid and the oilin it, I believe it just waits to heat up and wait for conduction to happen.
When you draw on it with no lid there would only up ward pressure and no circulation, within the glass cannister.
The holes would cause and circulation within the glass cannister with oil it in.
If the air is sealed then drawing in the stem with no lid would only cause it to come up( that's what your hearing in wills video) the upward pressure cause its a sealed air path.
Having the holes in the lid would cause air to move through it ( the glass canister) and heat the oil properly producing vapor through conduction and radiation.
Will is just suck the glass can up and down with no air moving across the oil its stagnet.100% pressure up and down, not through or over the oil.
Medical, mark

Medical Mark,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom