1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

Ascent Vaporizer by Da Vinci (pre-sale thread)

Discussion in 'ABV' started by 1_gr8_underdog, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slightly Medicated

Slightly Medicated (SliM) Iron Lungs

Sticks uses about 4 times less medicine per month then I do. We kind of talked about it earlier. For me the efficiency is spot on. Anything smaller and I would need to do more then one session... which kind of starts to make the device more annoying to use.

I got back from the farmers market. I ended up getting some awesome organic strawberry and rhubarb plants... 2nd year cutting's no less so I will be able to harvest fruit this year!

I got about 6 sessions out of a fully charged battery. I probably could have gotten one more, but I wanted to charge it for the show tonight.

I feel like this portable will probably become my default. It fits my needs quite well. When I was out today I started at 400F and worked my way up to 415F and finished there. Gives me a little less sedation and a better medicated state for walking around at the farmers market.

I love how many needs and usage expectations people have for vaporizers. It just goes to show that what is going to hit every requirement for one person might be not work for another person.

I usually monitor my loads in the beginning with a new device.

The Ascent is between .27 to .4 (I probably load a little over .3)
    The PAX is between .3 to .55
    The INH004 is between .2 to .3
    The Cloud is about .27 to 3.3
    I have problems fitting enough herb in the Pinnacle... I tended to pack it tight around .25 or so.
    I also have problems with the Solo... I tend to pack it full and do about 2-3 stems. So each one is about .15 and I end up doing .3 to .45 a session.

For me anything below .2 a session will start to wear off in about 30-45 minutes. After .3 I start getting an hour or more of relief with most portables.

It does not extract as well as the cloud, but in terms of my other portables it is up there in the top 2 or 3... like I said still forming my opinions, but I am really impressed.

I find I hit the device more like an INH004 or Solo then I do a PAX. I breath with my lungs instead of drawing with your mouth. At this point in time, I like the way you hit the Ascent much more then the PAX.

About the size. I have an iPhone 4 with a 12 South Book Book Case:

[​IMG]

It is a little less wide then the iPhone itself. It is the same thickness and height as my iPhone and BookBook case combined. Fits in my front shirt pocket well.

Sticks is right the grill does get warm so the air entering the device gets warmed up some. I don't know if this affects performance at all? After a session I was able to put it back in my first shirt pocket with out any discomfort. It was warm, but not warm enough that it was uncomfortable for me.

OhTheAgony, Buyola, craizen and 4 others like this.
  2. Medical Mark

Medical Mark Well-Known Member

Nice sticks I. Sure this thing will perform well with the bubbler

3. sam reynolds

sam reynolds because "Samantha" is a mouthful.

What kind of cotton do you use? Balls? Pads? Curious how this works.

4. 11eleven11

11eleven11 Well-Known Member

Hmm I wonder if they could make a mini-bowl that can simply be placed right on top of the original bigger bowl to lessen the volume in there. That'd probably work. If it were like that I'd even leave my ABV in the original bowl under it for more of a kick.

2 suggestions for possibly increasing efficiency with smaller loads:

1) Why not just leave some ABV in there? Just pack some green onto the brown. Admittedly, this would affect the taste. That doesn't bother me though.
    2) Put some glass beads in there.

5. SlinginPaint

SlinginPaint As Above ∞ So Below

You would want to use ORGANIC cotton balls in the device. No additives at all, will not give off any extra odors.

Heres where I get mine, but I'm sure you can find some cheaper elsewhere, but these are QUALITY:

http://www.delta9vapes.com/products.php?product=McFinn's-Organic-Cotton

Buyola, Chill Dude and sam reynolds like this.
  6. sam reynolds

sam reynolds because "Samantha" is a mouthful.

Thanks for this! I hear cotton mentioned frequently, but never could find specifics.

SlinginPaint likes this.
  7. 11eleven11

That's a lot of switching out cotton filters... AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FO DAT!

Cool though, I have never heard of using cotton before until sticks brought it up. I bet that catches a lot of stray plant matter that doesn't need to be inhaled. That + a water filter may make a really smooth vapor hit.

8. VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd JoDa Glassworks Glass Blower

What about a small glass marble/bead popped in the bowl? Seems like that fill up some space but allow your grind to be packed as you need it.

9. 11eleven11

I mentioned that above --- exactly. That's what I would do. Anything to lessen the volume should work. Glass is class because it's already an all glass vapor path. :cool:

SlinginPaint and VaPeD&CoNfUsEd like this.
  10. stickstones

stickstones Wasted Staff Member

I don't do much in the way of videos, but here's my pics:

Group shot
    [​IMG]

with Solo and Pax
    [​IMG]

The cotton works so well I can't think of anything they could use that would be better. It's a fibrous plant that holds the heat well enough.

I can see six sessions on a battery at high temp. Lower temps maybe a couple more.

But no shit...I haven't even touched the oils or programming that this thing can do and I already love it. You Solo fans give me a couple of days to really live with it and find the clouds, but this might be the one that knocks it off my 'portable standard' pedestal.

11. VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd JoDa Glassworks Glass Blower

Lol. How the hell did I miss that??!? I read that post too! Damn..... Vaked

11eleven11 likes this.
  12. Slightly Medicated

If you are going to use organic cotton I would recommend: Intrinsics Organic Cotton Roll. It is a 1lb roll of cotton similar to paper towels. You can just cut or tear off a little bit for your needs. I have had great success with that particular brand.

You can read more about it on their website:

http://www.intrinsics.net/professional-supplies/roll-cotton/

and to order:

http://www.universalcompanies.com/By-Brand/INTRINSICS/_/Intrinsics-Organic-1-lb-Cotton-Roll/

13. craizen

craizen New Member

Awesome thanks for the upload sticks. I wasn't sure about the size of the Ascent, but now I can get a feel for the size of it. .... Oh man the Ascent looks so sleek and classy.

14. mewash2

mewash2 Well-Known Member

Can you read the digital display in the dark? Is it back-lit or do you need ambient light to see it? Thanks for all the info guys!

15. 11eleven11

Yup you can read the digital display in the dark. It's a glowing LED menu.

mewash2 likes this.
  16. mewash2

mewash2 Well-Known Member

Good to hear. Thanks!

17. Slightly Medicated

If you have polarized sunglasses the display is a little hard to read. It kind of does that weird rainbow thing. When you take the sunglasses off though it is perfectly fine to read.

The display is very easy to read from my experience.

mewash2 likes this.
  18. 11eleven11

19. stickstones

stickstones Wasted Staff Member

I did a cotton sandwich pack, but did it lightly like the first full bowl of herb I used yesterday and got whispy hits. I then added more cotton and it hit thicker. So I definitely think it likes a tight pack, I'm just glad to have it working so well with smaller loads with the cotton.

I gotta reiterate how good this thing tastes.

OhTheAgony and Buyola like this.
  20. b0

b0 Vapor powered

21. Slightly Medicated

Well I am off to the Ballet. Time for the extended test ;) I will report back if I get home early enough tonight.

I packed it pretty tight this time. I want to be able to see if I can use it more then once. I figured during intermission and a short session on the way home. I also loaded it with some nice Grad A Indica Hash. The hash should provide a little extra punch.

My throat is a little dry today because I am not used to so much dry vapor. I find it to be quite a bit less harsh in comparison to other dry vaporizers.

Off to the show!

22. Shrike

Shrike EVOlved & Waiting to 'Hop

Have fun, SliM...we await your post-ballet report...if you have the time.:)

mvapes likes this.
  23. 2 Paces

2 Paces Well-Known Member

Thanks to all reviewers thus far. Your thoughts are very much appreciated.

I gotta be honest, I would be buying one as soon as they are available even with no advanced word, but it's awesome to hear some big thumbs up before doing so.

WakeAndVape likes this.
  24. Vapnoob

Vapnoob Nubile Vaporist

Has anyone used the oil jr for dry material yet? Seems like it would decrease the amount needed. If one of the 3 have, I must have missed it.

25. mvapes

mvapes Surrounded by the healthy!

So when and where will these be available?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors