Ascent Vaporizer by Da Vinci (pre-sale thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NiScRo

Just spent the last hour catching up on all the posts today. I must say... I'm impressed. Not only with the quick pictures and answers to posts, but the insane amount of kindness that a few members of this community show.

I look forward to the reviews to come. I encourage all of you lucky bastards with Ascent in hand to take your time and really dig into the belly of the beast.

So far... I'm happy to make the Ascent my conversion from combustion... I'm so sick of these lighters laying around....

I pray this gorgeous vaporizer is at my doorstep by 06/18/13. I promised my lungs I'd quit combusting then... and i'm going on vacation then. So what will it be Da Vinci a much needed T-break or a glorious product in hand on the coast of somewhere beautiful? Win/Win either way....

stickstones

Vapor concierge
the manual says you can use it while charging.

chill dude...this is what I am most interested in as well. I am a miser. y lhs owner loves his pax and has been using spaces and such to make smaller loads. that may apply here as well, but I'm nowhere near that corner yet. I just packed it pretty good with some kief in the middle, so my next session should be a good one!

toros23

Speaking of loads, and making the chamber smaller, how about using the oil cans to hold the grind. Would love,to hear the results on that!

That brings up an interesting point.. What is airflow like with the oil cans/jars compared to without?

toros23,
Reactions: poonman

JoeKickass

How's the heat/harshness of high temp vapor?

I'll probably use this with a water piece but it would be sweet to be able to do heavy sessions without throat irritation!

poonman

I hope the high temps will be sufficient for doing budda/waxes/oils .
Since it sits in an oil/can first , then placed on top of the glass cooking chamber . ( I think )
It sounds like 2 glass layers to heat up ?

poonman,

Medical Mark

So if you guys with the test units agree that its more conduction then convection, then I guess the ceramic bowl heats up the herb and then the open air chamber which you can see through by the way provides air but not any heat, this doesn't cause combustin at all? I would think it might.
I was wondering how wide the glass mouth piece is and if any of you have a straight adaptor and if the ends are the same size to connect some tubing for upright use instead of using the u shaped adaptor which I know ill break just will Lol.
I'd rather use the straight adaptor for straight down herb use and connect tubing from the ascent to the adaptor for oils so the ascent stays up right so no il spills or leaks out.
Also they mentioned that the units coves would be interchangeable for different custom designs and colours and was wondering if the covers feel or look like this would be possible or would you have to dismantle the unit to accomplish this?
When slightly medicated blew through the ascent it sure kept on producing vapor and seemed nice and dense thick and he wasn't really pushing hard but it was impressive.
I hope GV keeps there word after they screwed me over and then called me in Canada to correct there mistake and placed my pre-order with the first shipment of ascent vapes leaving there building. I pre-ordered in febuary and was told and guaranteed to get ne before anyone else and be contacted but they forgot to inform anyone including myself, they denied this even happened but after explaining and explaining they still did not support my claim.
5 min after I hung up they called me back and said sorry there mistake and because of this mistake and since I did this in febuary they placed my order in the first shipment along with a 14mm straight adaptor. They also informed me that my Orr will be shipped put between the 14th and the 20th of June soim keeping my fingers crossed that everything is Kosher and it is what it is no BS, I've never dealt with them before so m not sure after some comments on here, sorry not bashing just reflecting.
Anyway a couple weeks from now we should be all enjoying this new vaporizer which seems to meet alot of expectations and needs for the medical user such as myself. I can't wait.
Cheers, medical mark

Medical Mark,

TheHerbalReview

@TheHerbalReview
Yeah, I'm primarily interested in herb efficiency. For example, can you pack a small amount in the ascent say .10. - .15g and get good results? Sticks mentioned "pax like packs" are the best. I'm non sure what that means as I've never used a Pax; but I'm thinking it might mean the Acsent requires large loads to function well. If that's the case, the Acsent will probably rate low in the herb efficiency category. Maybe one of the reviewers can clarify?

From what I've got talking with SliM and Sticks, better results are achieved w/ a more tightly-packed trench. My first session before work tonight was about .1, and it worked, but it took a bit longer and the hits were much more wispy than in SliM's videos. I actually just got home from work, and I'm about to load up my first full bowl and test it out. I think I'm going to set it at 380 my first 2 min, 400 the next minute, and then 430 the last min.

NYC5IKH5jabi

I hate it when vape companies try to use T&A to try and sell their products. It almost makes me want to not buy it out of spite. Am I in the minority here?
Shit, why not make a "Rasta" version with a pic of Bob Marley on it while you're at it. UGH, I do not like how MJ users are "advertised" to AT ALL. We are not all a bunch of 20 something "bros". :rant:
Yea bro!

Jimmy

im glad the screen will fit in the tube. i wonder if putting one in the bowl as well would affect the conduction.\ the holes in the bowl look big. not that important but look at the detail they put into thos pokers. thats some quality fuckin pokers lol!!

Jimmy,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
How's the heat/harshness of high temp vapor?

I'll probably use this with a water piece but it would be sweet to be able to do heavy sessions without throat irritation!

Less harsh then others at comparable temps. It irritates my throat some, but all dry vapor does. Considering how little it irritated my throat... I would say high temp vapor is comfortable.

Slightly Medicated,
Reactions: JoeKickass

stickstones

Vapor concierge
jka...I haven't gotten it down yet, but so far this thing has gotten nowhere near harsh. I've been on the highest setting every session and the third one had great taste almost until the end. only the last couple of hits started to have that spent taste.

As far as I'm concerned this thing is a brilliant design that hits all the talking points...all glass air path, digital temp control across the entire spectrum, long battery life, stealthy and easy to use. MY only problem has been cloud chasing, and SliM is getting what I want, so I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of me getting the technique down. But I want SliM's results at a little lower temp, so my final method of packing and whatever will be a little bit different.

My biggest problem is getting used to a Pax-like appetite for herb. Everything I currently use works fine with smaller loads as well as larger. My lhs owner said he uses volcano-type oil pads as spacers in his Pax, and I wonder if anything like that might work here when I want to use less. Anyhow, I feel like I am on the verge of really getting to know this thing well...there will be plenty of playing with it tomorrow and I already have it packed sweet with some kief in between two layers of good herb. Tonight I need a punch from my Cloud to get to sleep.

Medical Mark

:bowdown:hey sticks i was wondering i believe we are on the same page regarding the pinnacle so i that regard pinnacle has a sort of wispy vapor until you learn how to use it and get some sort of tecknique down but it medicates very well, in comparison to the pinnacle how is the vapor and effort to produce it?
i find the pinnacle is very easy to use and requires no energy or effort.
seeing this ascent in action makes me wonder if it produces vapor thick like the pax but with more even burn and better taste.? I dont want a problamatic vape that has so many varibles it makes it frustrating to use(cera LL) a medical device should be straight forward and effective and efficient both with herb and oils which ever is needed at the time.
slim sure made alot of vapor with his unit super toke that ascent and build a stand with a fan to push the vapor through the unit to fill a bag this could be possible with such a non-restricted air flow path so close to the heating element(just a thought and a project Lol)any way if you can blow through this unit and produce that type of vapor then you can also produce it with regular use as well.
i cant wait to try one out, i believe it will satisfy my expectations and then some.
thanks for all the reveiwers opinions i appreciate all the input and output you guys throw out to us and the vids and pics top notch awesome guys.
cheers medical mark

Medical Mark,

SiDankies

You said it is more conduction.. but it is not supposed to be. Can one of the reviewers leave a load in the chamber and see what happens to the herb? I know even with the Solo the herb gets used when your not hitting it but its very slightly. Hoping its the same with this.

SiDankies,

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
You did read that EH but it doesn't seem like it is shaking up that way but we will see.

Dreamerr,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

MidwestBeast

recently but constantly Vaked
Hey guys I'm glad to see you got your vapes.... I'm hella jealous but it just means we're all a little closer to getting one of these masterpieces

Just curious... which if you lucky lab rats is in the Midwest .. and if your anywhere close to southeast Kansas

MidwestBeast,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
i think somewhere i read is passive convection but i dont really know what that is...

I believe that means it is convection but without the assistance of a fan. The Volcano would be active or assisted convection. At least that is my understanding of the term passive convection.

Slightly Medicated,
Reactions: nigel

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I've used the term "passive convection" in the past. I was trying to describe the process of vaporizing in a static environment without the assistance of direct conduction. However the more I think about it, I think it is just simple radiation. Thoughts?

:peace:

Stu,

toros23

Any conduction vape should have passive convection as long as it is putting out heat and there is airflow. Passive convection is just the passing of heated air over the plant material.

toros23,
Reactions: nigel

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Any conduction vaope should have passive convection as long as it is putting out heat and there is airflow. Passive convection is just passing heated air over the plant material.
Therein lies the problem: The air is not heated. The plant material is.

It's baking away in an oven and (cooler) air is delivering the vapor. Sounds like radiation to me, but I've been wrong before.

Stu,

toros23

Therein lies the problem: The air is not heated. The plant material is.

It's baking away in an oven and (cooler) air is delivering the vapor. Sounds like radiation to me, but I've been wrong before.

You lost me on that one (radiation).. If the plant material is heated then the air around it would be too, right??

toros23,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Yes, but the air is passing through the chamber, only being heated after entering the chamber. While the herb is already in the oven at that set temp. So the air is actually cooling the herb load while sweeping away the goodies that were created by radiation and conduction.

That's my take on it anyway. I'm really stoned, tho........

toros23

Yeah, me too.. I am sure someone who really knows (DV) will chime in.. But I think at least we answered the question as to what passive convection is.. lol

toros23,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I hate when I type something and it gets deleted before I can hit submit... I had a nice response... this new one is not as well written.

I was going to add. Most devices seem to be a mix of conduction and convection. It is very rare to see a device that is purely conduction or convection. The PAX/MFLB is a pretty strong example of a conduction vaporizer. The MiniVap would be a good example of a convection vaporizers. The Ascent is a good balance of both heating methods.

I know it is partly conduction based because it cooks the load from the outside in. It is radiating the heat from the outside to the middle of the oven. It seems to do this less so then other more conduction based vaporizers, but you can still see a gradient in the material's color as it cooks. At the end of the session the ABV is quite even. The fluffiness of the pack also affects how much air is in the oven and the density of the hits. Air is a terrible conductor of thermal energy... so the more air the less well the radiant heat seems to work.

I know it is also convection based because the vapor production will continue to produce more regularly then some of my other conduction based vaporizers. It is not purely convection based because it will cook off a load a tiny amount when it is sitting there... less then other products seem to, but it will produce vapor with out drawing on the unit.

I feel like it is a good hybrid of the two methods of heating.

Stu has the right idea in my book. That is how I picture it being delivered. Radiant heat from the oven and cooler air from the air intake.

In my book the method of how much conduction/convection a product have is not as important as to if it can deliver the type of vapor you need. Personally speaking, the method of heating the Ascent has seems to have some promise for my needs. It is less harsh on my throat dry then many of some of the other competition. I suspect that is the glass stem helping to cool the vapor down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom