Ascent Vaporizer by Da Vinci (pre-sale thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mewash2

It sounds like the all glass vapor path loses it's integrity when the glass straw is extended. I hope this isn't the case...

mewash2,

JoeKickass

It sounds like the all glass vapor path loses it's integrity when the glass straw is extended. I hope this isn't the case...

They said the straw itself might break, but it's also replaceable.

As long as it's properly secured, hopefully the inner glass could survive a drop or two?

JoeKickass,

mewash2

The straw is hugged by a silicone sleeve. If you extend the straw, you pull vapor thru the sleeve. That is how it sounds to me.

mewash2,
Reactions: ogcook

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
I believe they said the unit could be open for cleaning way back in the thread...I am not sure.

Dreamerr,

mewash2

My concern isn't with cleaning or breaking glass. The manufacturer has stated that the unit can be used with the glass straw extended (not removed) from the unit. The glass straw is the glass vapor path when it is fully inside the unit. If you extend the straw, you remove a large portion of the interior glass vapor path. The air would come in the bottom of the unit, pass thru the bowl and glass filter and enter the silicone sleeve that the glass straw would rest in when it is not extended. I am not saying this as a fact, but assumptions I have made from the info we have so far. Sorry if my earlier posts were confusing.

Dreamerr

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm interesting mewash. I was under the assumption that it was a double glass tube one stacked inside the other. I know I must be wrong thinking about it but you never know. My thought was the path was glass and that the second glass tube was on the outside of the first glass and just pulled up to make a straight line. I guess this is why I am not an engineer. Only time will tell.

Dreamerr,

mewash2

I hope you are right. I would buy this either way. I would just not extend the straw.

mewash2,

Dreamerr

The vapor would be awfully hot without the straw. I bet you can make some kind of attachment if you are right. Think MFLB or if glass isn't the concern a tube.

Dreamerr,

nigel

And shepherds we shall be,for Accuracy & Discovery
As promised, here are some pictures of the unit! Let me know what you think.

The video should be ready by Tuesday!

Awesome!

Now what happened to ascent-3-black.jpg & ascent-6-black.jpg? ;)

Realize you are probably got your hands tied with the video, but, when you get a chance, I had requested take-apart photos of the device, just to further understand the airpath.

I see now why the ceramic, glass lined bowl is not removable. I can also see the glass screen above (I was wondering how that would work). But that leads to two questions: How do the two couple? (I'm presuming something like a silicon gasket); and I presume ground material isn't preferable over leaf?

Also I note (as others have said) that the heating element must be in the bottom, consuming a lot of space around the bowl and or/airpath. Looks like the bottom pivots around a connector, which is presumably where the leads for both power and temp sensor will run from the top of the unit.

I too am a little disappointed on the aesthetics of the grill. It seems counter to the rest of the design. Like others have said, I wouldn't let that be a show stopper, and not sure if the holes themselves are necessary as holes (don't know the airpath around the heating element). Just another marketing point for the company.

I'm presuming that there is no storage like the previous unit. I never used it, but it seemed like a great idea on a portable unit.

And I understand people's question about the extracted straw and the airpath. (Not a big concern on my part.) But if the glass is extracted, in the body there must be a sheath. From what I understand(presume?) that sheath is silicone(?). So when the glass gets pulled out to extended position, the area between the glass screen and the bottom of the now-elevated glass straw is the sheath. So either that's the silicone, or there is a second glass sheath in there to keep it all GonG when the glass straw is extended (with silicone around that to protect it). Then there is the question about how all of the movable glass parts are coupled.

That's where shots of the innards might go far to address a lot of questions.

But it looks really great so far! We are all still waiting to hear on price point, but if it isn't too high, I'll be on the pre-order list whenever that opens.

PAZ

I haven't even got my vape yet and now I already want this one... :mmmm:

PAZ,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
After studying the pictures a bit, I've changed my mind about the grill. I'd still prefer the Aston style but the holes don't bother me anymore, I've grown to like them.

It looks to me as if that display has a battery meter. I wonder how it works, since Li-ion battery gauges are often unreliable.

pakalolo,

PAZ

After studying the pictures a bit, I've changed my mind about the grill. I'd still prefer the Aston style but the holes don't bother me anymore, I've grown to like them.

It looks to me as if that display has a battery meter. I wonder how it works, since Li-ion battery gauges are often unreliable.

Isn't that what cellphones, cameras, and basically any electronic portable device use? Li-ion?

PAZ,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Isn't that what cellphones, cameras, and basically any electronic portable device use? Li-ion?

Yes. Li-ion battery charge remaining indicators are difficult because of the discharge curve, which is a fairly gentle slope with rapid drop near the end. Kind of like motorcycle gas gauges back in the days when I rode. Now, about the one in the Ascent...

X24

Yes. Li-ion battery charge remaining indicators are difficult because of the discharge curve, which is a fairly gentle slope with rapid drop near the end. Kind of like motorcycle gas gauges back in the days when I rode. Now, about the one in the Ascent...

It's my understanding that statistics need to be taken to start getting fairly accurate battery readings. At least that's how android phones work. :popcorn:

X24,

BLAZING OG

Vaping is a way of life!
Regarding the materials, the bowl is a glass lined ceramic and yes the straw is retractable..no clicking though..wrong company. The straw is hugged by a tight silicone sleeve that also provides additional insulation for breakage. The little screen that you see on the bottom of the unit...we call it a grill (think cars), is where the airflow comes in from the bottom. Its made of 304 stainless.

In the center of the vape there is also a glass screen that will prevent most particulates from going though the air path, of course some people will opt to add another screen. Depends on preference.

Now regarding discreetness...if you push the straw completely into the body, it's very discreet. Well, if you walk down the street sucking on an electric shaver type of discreet.

Also, I don't know what I was thinking when I posted about conduction..I need to edit that post. We really try to focus on building convection vapes. A quick heat up time is great for some materials, but really lends to combustion not to mention an uneven roasting experience. So all in all, the Ascent is a convection vaporizer.

We could have sped up the heat up time, but weren't happy with the overall experience when we did.

(Before anyone brings it up...yes there is some conduction, but the conduction vs convection debate deserves its own thread )

BLAZING OG,

Dreamerr

I want to know if I won one...please oh please let me win for once in my life. I am going over to fb to see if they announced the winners. I don't know why we didn't get our own contest.

Dreamerr,
Reactions: ogcook

lwien

I want to know if I won one...please oh please let me win for once in my life. I am going over to fb to see if they announced the winners. I don't know why we didn't get our own contest.

There was a contest? Damn.............

lwien,

Dreamerr

menz you know we never do but we can hope. I wonder if I get an ascent will I get rid of my dv or will I keep it. I don't sell stuff normally...packrat at large lol. The ascent seems to do what the dv does but better and no lid issue which was always my issue with the dv. I also wonder if the heat will be like the dv which is not comfortable. On the ascent if it has heat issues it doesn't look like there will be a safe spot to hold it like the one side of the dv. Oh please we need more info NOW lol. The fact that this can be fully cleaned airline safe IMO so far is a huge plus. Only two vapes on the market on the high end that can do this. Of course leaving out things like the coil and stuff.

Dreamerr,

nigel

And shepherds we shall be,for Accuracy & Discovery

I was kinda keeping mum about the contest to increase my odds ;), but then it was announced in the other forum and entries skyrocketed (9405 total).

Giveaway ends February 4, 2013 at 11:59 PM EST.
So, although the entries are closed, they aren't announcing a winner until essentially Wed.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, add my voice to the ranks pleading to the god of I-never-wisn-shit,-so-this-time-please-make-it-happen. :)

nigel,

Dreamerr

yea, I noticed it was like in the 6000 then went up last few days. If a twitter person wins again I will not be happy. We need a FC drawing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom