Art and Vaporizers

toecutter

Hey all - So I pay the bills as an artist. For better or for worse, I spend my days doing, essentially other people's art (I work in the computer games industry), which limits how creative I can get.

I can't really get my heart into the fine arts/pop art scene, but I would like to do work that makes me happy with the added bonus that others would enjoy it as well. I've really wanted to start producing functional art. Art that you can play with, use and that generally does more than sit on your shelf/hang on your wall.

Do you guys think that there would be any interest in vaporizer oriented functional art? For instance, the lightweight charger base for my Firefly 2 scoots around my desk and looks pretty chincy, IMO. I thought it would be cool to make a cast (resin or concrete perhaps) sculptural base that it would nestle in. Something visually appealing (a craggy mound/cliff, a borg-ish cube, a breaching whale, etc.) and have the weight to not scoot around one's desk or coffee table.

I'd love your thoughts.

Thanks!

Tranquility

Hey all - So I pay the bills as an artist. For better or for worse, I spend my days doing, essentially other people's art (I work in the computer games industry), which limits how creative I can get.

I can't really get my heart into the fine arts/pop art scene, but I would like to do work that makes me happy with the added bonus that others would enjoy it as well. I've really wanted to start producing functional art. Art that you can play with, use and that generally does more than sit on your shelf/hang on your wall.

Do you guys think that there would be any interest in vaporizer oriented functional art? For instance, the lightweight charger base for my Firefly 2 scoots around my desk and looks pretty chincy, IMO. I thought it would be cool to make a cast (resin or concrete perhaps) sculptural base that it would nestle in. Something visually appealing (a craggy mound/cliff, a borg-ish cube, a breaching whale, etc.) and have the weight to not scoot around one's desk or coffee table.

I'd love your thoughts.

Thanks!
I believe the market will go a few different directions in a legal state. There will be the casual users, regular users, daily users and connoisseurs. Basically, noobs, stoners, medicators and The Cool Kids. All have different sizzles they want on their steak. I don't think an artist has much of a market in the noob, stoner, medicator markets unless the items have great functionality as well. We all know a noob, stoner or MMJ user who bought a stupid glass piece because it amused them in looks--even though it was not that functional of a design. One might sell some to that market, but, it will not be enough to make a living off of. Finding stupid is not a good business plan.

You market will be in the upper end. A person can get just about as high off dirt weed as they can from the finest flower. (While knowing most of the variables in that sentence.) The upper end look for the total experience and THAT is where an artist's niche would be. You will be marketing to higher-income people who want to distinguish themselves from others who are doing essentially the same thing. Because of the amount of time it takes to make something unique, the price tags on that type of items are much higher. Look to some of the glass threads here and on Reddit to see the crazy prices people pay for some of their pieces. While a far more established market, that is how motivated some are to have the very best. More importantly, something unique no one else has.

I don't know how the math can work out for you. I only have one client who is an artist, but she also instructs at the local college so her "business" never really makes money. I'm not sure of your business plan and if you intend on making cool things not many have or unique things only one will have or the costs of materials, time and other expenses you will have in your process. You do have to plan it out if you are serious though. I bet the profit on things will not be that much unless you really create something unique. If that unique item is sought after, you can not just make good money, you can meet some really cool people who love to interact in order to build a provenance on the items.

Good luck.

toecutter

Hey - thank you for the great response! You make some really insightful points. I agree in that finding and marketing to stupid is not a good idea. I want to make pieces that I would like and use. I'm keeping my day job, but think that something on the side would be a great way to explore my creativity, make some cool shit, interact with kindred spirits and yeah, work towards paying off my wife's student debt. :)

I agree that the niche I'd want to look for would be the higher end. I definitely have no desire to make noodely 420, pot leaf art. It has its market and I'm not bagging on it, but it's not me. That said, I don't necessarily want to make too terribly highfalutin/pretentious. I've got a few ideas and will likely field them among the folks on the forum in the next few months.

I've done some Etsy stuff in the past (not cannabis related) and have a (albeit nascent) idea as to how to ensure my costs don't surpass my profits. I actually hit it off pretty well with my Etsy listing. The holidays almost killed me. I need to make sure that my production process/time doesn't become a burden, as frankly was my recent experience.

Thank you again for your reply. You hit a number of points, right on the head!

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
There are many of us on here who spend entirely too much (is it possible?) on vaporizers/art but not everybody is into that, it seems. There are even a number of other members who make accessories for vapes and most are quite artistic. I'm sure they would be able to give you some tips?

toecutter

There are many of us on here who spend entirely too much (is it possible?) on vaporizers/art but not everybody is into that, it seems. There are even a number of other members who make accessories for vapes and most are quite artistic. I'm sure they would be able to give you some tips?

I really like the idea of the art interplaying with the effects of the herb. Frankly seems like a tailor made match (art and herb) :).

I'd love to hear from other artists. I'll poke around the forum some more, in search.

toecutter,

Mr. Me2

Add me to your list of fc'ers who will watch this thread. I've had many discussions with others about form and function. Whether mass produced or one-offs, I think there is a market for both.

As vapes go, look at pax, firefly, and grasshopper to name a few mass produced (and vapcap, though somewhat unique). And for one-offs, look at firewood, and the work of @phattpiggie.

I think considering the price people pay for vapes, accessories that are also art on their own is a wide open market.

Personally, I don't think you need to pick one. Your ideas may lead to functional art that can be replicated (you create the master and farm out the production). Then you can do limited or open editions. Separately, you can create truly one of a kind pieces.

Can't wait to see where the wind blows you.

Top Bottom