Aromed 4.0

Aimless Ryan

Came to read about grinders; fucked combustion
Good news. I scored half an ounce tonight. And it's green (rather than purple). Which should make it much easier for me to determine whether anything is happening inside my Aromed's herb holder.

Having used the Aromed a little bit since changing the lightbulb, I'm beginning to feel like it may be working more like it's supposed to. I'm not even close to being certain yet, though, as I haven't had a chance to use it enough since changing the bulb, and because I've had to be so conservative with my herbs for a while prior to tonight. But the 0.2 g of fresh herbs I loaded tonight doesn't seem to want me to go above 350°. Which suggests that it's doing something, even though it may not have produced any clouds at that temperature.

Now that I won't have to be so conservative with my medicine, I'll have the freedom to try some larger loads again. That should make it a little easier for me to determine how things are going.

Aimless Ryan,
Reactions: luchiano

Aimless Ryan

I definitely got clouds at 360, and maybe even 350. I still haven't gone over 360 with these new herbs, though. Partly because I haven't used the Aromed more than a couple minutes since last night, and partly because: 1) I feel like I'm starting to enjoy the flavor I get from lower temperatures more than I enjoy effects I may get from temperatures over 400; 2) Lower temperatures seem to be doing just as much for me as higher temperatures; 3) Since I feel confident that the temperatures of the AA's 5 settings are accurate, and because the AA does not even go above 410°, I have been able to narrow my window of preferred vaping temperatures to between 356 and less than 400.

It's really weird how much I enjoy the taste of vapor, because I never cared about taste when I combusted. Not that there is actually any flavor in smoke, but whatever is there was insignificant to me.

The herbs I bought last night taste like Fruity Pebbles. The dude I bought it from didn't know the specific strain. He just said "Kush." After deciding to google a couple search terms, like "weed fruity pebbles," I found that there is a strain called Fruity Pebbles, which seems to have a lot of common characteristics with what I bought last night, at least on paper. I don't know if what I got is Fruity Pebbles, but I do know 0.08-0.1 g had me feeling all right for about six hours today.

Time to make that happen again. I'll try to spend a little more time in front of the Aromed later today.

Aimless Ryan,

luchiano

@Aimless Ryan Just try 410f- 420f in one session with the Aromed, and see how you feel. Those temps might not release enough thc for you to really get the medical effects of the herb.

luchiano,

Aimless Ryan

Big [cough] cloud [cough] at [cough] 410. [Cough. Cough, cough.]

(That was just the first hit. [Cough.])

Aimless Ryan,

luchiano

@Aimless Ryan I take it that means the Aromed is working, and it was the bulb that was the problem?

You can turn the temperature down to around 396f, and the vapor won't be as thick, but you are still getting a lot of thc, with a low chance of coughing. Hope you have fun testing temperatures!

luchiano,

Aimless Ryan

It seems to be working better, but I can't really say how much better yet. Still, I'm thinking I could take these herbs that I have spent a long time vaping at 456, put them in my Air, and get plenty of vapor out of it at 356°. I may find out later.

I probably won't be able to figure out how much better the new bulb may be working, because I broke one of the metal prongs on the original bulb. (I'm sure the metal prong has a proper name, but I have no idea what it is.)

Aimless Ryan,

Aimless Ryan

Still, I'm thinking I could take these herbs that I have spent a long time vaping at 456, put them in my Air, and get plenty of vapor out of it at 356°.

To my surprise, that didn't happen. At least I think it didn't happen. When I tried it, the room was mostly dark, lit only by my TV. I didn't see or feel any vapor when I tried the Aromed's ABV at 356° in my Air. Nor at 374. Or 392 or 401 or 410.

Very surprised.

I will try this again after I finish the load that is currently in the Aromed, either in the daytime or with additional lighting if I do it after dark.

This is good. So far it has already given me considerably more confidence in the ability of my Aromed.

In addition to this step forward, I have also learned a lot over the last couple days about how much and how many different ways I was getting ripped off by my former guy.

First of all, I was only receiving 75% of what I paid for. I knew for months that I wasn't receiving everything I paid for, but I didn't realize I was getting *that* ripped-off until I bought a scale accurate to within 0.01, about a month and a half ago. The first thing I weighed with the scale was a baggie that once contained my medicine. Then a different baggie. This is when I was shocked to find out that even the most lightweight sandwich bags weigh almost a gram, and that ziploc sandwich bags weigh around 2.35 g.

Yesterday I realized that my new buds are all very well pruned, with essentially no stems, unlike the medicine from my previous guy. That makes a big difference, too. Looking at this mostly-full bag, it seems like almost twice as much actual bud as what I was getting before. Which it almost is. Plus this stuff actually gets me high. And more importantly, it helps to relieve pain and spasticity, which together often make my life absolutely miserable.

Considering I apparently got this new stuff from someone who makes a great effort to treat his customers right (through a middleman), the weird thing is that the dude I got it from (the middleman, who I just met for the first time two days ago) didn't know what specific strain it is. When I asked, my middleman just said it was "Kush," which I interpreted as kind of a vague response. I suspect maybe he just tends to buy whatever Kush/indica strain may be available at any given time, and that maybe he never really asks for any specific strain(s). (I had told him I was looking for an indica strain, and that I've had good luck with what I've been told is OG Kush and Purple Urkle. He came through for me, big time, which is really all that matters.)

Yesterday, maybe an hour or so after a session, it occurred to me that my newest medicine tastes and/or smells like Fruity Pebbles. So I googled "weed fruity pebbles" and learned that there is a strain called Fruity Pebbles, which on paper has a lot of the same characteristics as the effects I've been feeling from this stuff.

While I'm thinking about it, I want to say that I plan to spend a good amount of time using the Aromed today, as well as probably using it more overall in the future than I have used it since I've had the Air. The Air is almost certainly going to remain my number one vape, though, because it's always there for me, right where and how I need it to be. It's considerably less labor-intensive, too. Which is a HUGE factor for disabled medical users like myself.

It's been a very good year for Ohio. I'm feeling pretty good about the likelihood that it's about to get a lot better. Let's do this, Ohio. Not just for ourselves, but also to give more hope to all the people in other states who are still in the same position we are in. Let's keep the snowball rolling, and let's make it even bigger. Yes on Issue 3!

Aimless Ryan

This just occurred to me (I believe as I was doing it for the first time, subconsciously). A suggestion to anyone who hasn't already tried this:

Rotate the water filter and herb holder occasionally while you inhale. (You can probably only do this if you use the filter beside the Aromed, rather than on the Aromed's rear.)

After accidentally doing this, minutes ago, something sort of related occurred to me:

A few weeks ago, when I was using larger loads in the Aromed (0.3-0.5 g), I noticed the pile of herbs developing three distinct darker spots on the top of the herbs. That was before I had ever even looked at the lightbulb casing (which has three holes, I believe).

When I rotated the herb holder while inhaling, minutes ago, I exhaled quite a nice cloud, even though I may not have exhaled clouds prior to that, at the same temperature (456).

This is using a 0.05 g load of very fine material (herbs that made it through the first sifter in my 5-piece Diamond Grind, but didn't make it through the second sifter). Also, I believe I started at 420 but quickly bumped it all the way up to 456. (This happened at 456.)

EDIT: With a new 0.05 g load (an hour later), I decided to do a session exclusively at 456. I began by rotating the herb holder during each inhalation, and continued doing it that way until I exhaled a cloud. The very next draw, I didn't rotate the herb holder. No cloud. The next draw, I rotated the herb holder once again. Big cloud.

I think I may be onto something here.

Last edited:
Aimless Ryan,

luchiano

@Aimless Ryan Nice find!

There is no need to turn the water filter, just the herb holder.

What I think is happening is, when you turn the herb holder while inhaling, more heat is heating more surface area, and that gives more clouds. With no rotation, it takes time for the heat to spread out. I like this new technique for times when you just want a fast, and total, extraction.

Usually just stirring up the herb, after a few long puffs will allow total extraction, but I think combining the turning with stirring will allow a much quicker, total extraction. This is what I love about the Aromed it allows you to come up with so many techniques that suits your needs.

Aimless Ryan

If I try to turn the herb holder, I get burned. What I do is just grab the end of the whip, near where it attaches to the water filter, and kind of rotate it slowly back and forth while I draw. I'll keep doing my little experiment, to see if I keep getting the same results.

What I think it is: a truer or more complex form of convection heat than the machine provides by itself. Sticking with my oven/baking analogy, I consider it something like a rotating oven (or Roto-Flex oven).

One common problem with regular deck ovens is that they develop hot spots and cold spots. Part of it is from uneven heating within the baking chamber, and part of it is from unbaked/baking pizzas taking heat from the stone beneath. By rotating the oven deck (or hearth), you never have to worry about any particular pizza remaining in hot spot or cold spot of the oven. Also, since you don't constantly put cold pizzas on the exact same spot over and over (like you might with a standard deck oven), you're much less likely to develop cold spots within the stone.

Hopefully my analogy makes some sense to others. I think it does actually make a lot of sense, but I realize that I may not be able to adequately communicate what I mean.

Aimless Ryan,

Aimless Ryan

I guess that actually makes the rotation trick possible even if you have the filter secured to the back of the Aromed, doesn't it? Cool.

I tried to use my Aromed with the filter secured to the back for a short time recently, but it's just so much trouble always having to position the light and the gooseneck over and over. When I keep the glass parts to the side of the machine, I don't really ever have to reposition the gooseneck. Rather, I just tilt the machine to remove the light source from the herb holder (and do the same thing to replace it).

EDIT: As of about 5:00 this afternoon (EDT), I still have not used my Air today. I don't think the Aromed is going to replace the Air as my #1, but I think this probably does confirm that changing the lightbulb made a huge difference.

Also, I now have a load of about 0.25 g (with a fairly fine grind) in the herb holder. I think I'm beginning to consciously dislike really small loads because it can be so hard to keep the herbs where I want them, which is as close to the center of the herb holder as possible.

Last edited:
Aimless Ryan,

luchiano

That's actually a good thing, especially with the new technique, because once you turn the herb holder, more heat is touching more herb, and because some is moving around, you will get a quicker extraction. The movement allows for less stirring since some are being stirred when you inhale.

luchiano,

Aimless Ryan

I think I'm gonna call this technique "rotate the pizza". This is a big find!

I didn't even notice you said that earlier, but did you know [mainly] New York style pizzerias actually do rotate pizzas for basically the same reason that I found myself rotating my herbs?

EDIT: In a rotating oven like the Roto-Flex, the pizza actually revolves, which serves the same function as rotating a pizza in a standard deck oven (usually NY style).

Last edited:
Aimless Ryan,

Aimless Ryan

Looks like the ABV from yesterday's 0.25 g load is too far gone to provide any additional results when transferred to my Air. That's good (for the Aromed). Note: It is daytime, so I can see clearly this time that I am not exhaling any clouds. Also, the flavor is gone.

I'd say this means the Aromed has nearly redeemed itself, and will soon have fully redeemed itself.

One weird thing is that my two vaporizers seem to produce different colors of ABV, out of the same herbs. The ABV from the Air comes out very dark, while the Aromed's ABV comes out more of a light brown, I think. Consequently, it appears that the Aromed's ABV would still be usable in the Air, yet it's not (most of the time, apparently).

A few days ago I drafted what I guess was going to be a review. At the time, I was prepared to give the Aromed 3 or 2 stars. I say "3 or 2" because it was at 3, but it was heading toward being a 2.

(Did I already say that somewhere???)

At this point, I'd give the Aromed 4 stars. Or maybe 4 and change. Even though all of a sudden I am growing to like and appreciate this vaporizer quite a bit, there are still a few of what I consider design flaws, which could easily be improved (but that I doubt will ever change, as it appears to me nothing has changed about this machine in a decade, except maybe available colors).

I'll have more to say about why the Aromed is probably limited to about 4 stars in my mind, either later or in time. It's mostly ease-of-use issues. Particularly because even though the Aromed seems heavily marketed for medical users, there are a lot of things that make it very difficult specifically for many medical users to use; things that could be easily improved.

Still, this thing is now competing with my Air for attention. It actually won yesterday (for the first time), and I can see that happening more in the future. Actually, yesterday was the first day I even came close to using the Aromed as much as the Air. Still, the Aromed processed about 0.35 g for me yesterday, while the Air only processed about 0.05 g.

@luchiano Do you have any vaporizers other than the Aromed? I don't remember having read you compare the Aromed to any other vaporizers, so I'm curious.

Also, yesterday it occurred to me that I don't think "vaporize" is the right word to describe what we all do with our weed. I think "bake" is probably a more accurate term. If my understanding of the meaning of the word 'vaporize' is correct, then if we were vaporizing our weed there would be nothing left of it when we are done. No ABV and no ash. Empty bowl.

Aimless Ryan,

Melting Pot

Sick & Twisted
Also, yesterday it occurred to me that I don't think "vaporize" is the right word to describe what we all do with our weed

Vaporize | Define Vaporize at Dictionary.com
dictionary.reference.com › browse › vap...
Mobile-friendly - Related: Vaporized; vaporizing. To convert or be converted into a vapor. The gaseous state of a substance that is normally liquid or solid at room temperature, such as water that has evaporated into the air. See more at vapor pressure, See also water vapor.

Melting Pot,

Aimless Ryan

Yes, and my weed remains a solid every time, even when I'm done with it. The weed itself is never converted to vapor.

I'd be inclined to think extractor might be a more appropriate term than vaporizer. Or maybe even vapor extractor. But I am also inclined to think the stuff we inhale may not truly be vapor.

EDIT: This is cool. While rotating the herb holder during a draw, sometimes little wispy clouds form, then disappear, then return once I've turned the herb holder back to the same position I had originally noticed the cloud. So far I get the feeling this is a direct result of rotating the herb holder during draws. (Also, I get the feeling this indicates my rotation trick is more effective and efficient than when I don't use the rotation trick.)

Last edited:
Aimless Ryan,

Aimless Ryan

All of a sudden this thing is really starting to impress me. Obviously it was a good idea for me to change the lightbulb. And remember about a week ago, I said I wasn't going to change the bulb because it looked like the original bulb was fine. Well, I can't say anything looks different now than it did before I changed the bulb, yet it seems pretty obvious that the original bulb wasn't fine.

I might have to try a big load (half a gram?) today. 0.2-0.25 g seems to be the sweet spot now, but I'm thinking half a gram might send me to my sweet spot.

I ground some of my herbs really fine yesterday. As a result, the load I have in the Aromed right now is all over the sides of the herb holder. And it flies around everywhere when I draw, ending up mostly around the circumference of the herb holder (where the air is not hot enough to do anything). Consequently, I believe I'm going to stick with mostly somewhat-coarsely-ground herbs in the future.

EDITS

10:00 am EDT: Wow, this 0.2 g load that was already quite vaped when I started just keeps producing.

10:12: I think I finally depleted it.

Last edited:
Aimless Ryan,

Aimless Ryan

Apparently my original lightbulb was defective from the start. Because I just keep liking my Aromed more and more, ever since I changed the lightbulb. As great as the Arizer Air is, this thing might already be giving it a run for its money (which was considerably less money). In fact, I think the Aromed will claim the #1 spot fairly soon. Didn't see that coming. Apparently I made the right choices when choosing which vaporizers to buy, because I have two fucking good vaporizers. Now that I have the Aromed working right, I love them both. (Still, the Aromed has a lot of room for improvement, in terms of ergonomics or something.)

I am about to be too high to continue composing this message. Courtesy of the Aromed.

Aimless Ryan,

luchiano

I have a mflb, but I've used most of the major vaporizers that are out. I like the Aromed because of the extra smoothness, heating up to temperatures fast, and its giving the air temperature you want while still being able to cool off between each hit.

On calling it vaporizing, its not the plant fibers we want, just the actives so just boiling them off while not also releasing the fibers, like smoking will, is probably why it's called vaporizing. We are vaping just what we want, instead of burning everything all at once to get what we want.

Aimless Ryan

Did I ask if you have any other vapes, @luchiano, or did I just mean to ask you? Because you answered a question I don't remember asking (but that I remember wanting to ask).

Funny that you mention smoothness, because I agree. Yet I also cough a lot while using the Aromed. Doesn't seem like that should happen, with the water filter and everything. Maybe it's because I have been using exclusively higher temperatures the last day or two (usually 456, but sometimes 420).

I think I considered the MFLB for a minute when I first started thinking about buying a vaporizer, probably because of the price. I think I know why I only thought about it for a minute, though, because the MFLB does not attract me at all now. (If I ever buy another vape, chances are it will be an Underdog.)

My Aromed has probably now taken over the #1 spot. That's kind of crazy, because the Arizer Air is awesome, and because my essentially brand-new Aromed was on my shit list only a few days ago.

I think I don't like a really fine grind with the Aromed, but I also don't like a really coarse grind. My grind preference is leaning toward medium-fine to medium, because too coarse of a grind makes it take forever, and too fine of a grind makes it fly everywhere and get stuck on the glass.

My preferential load size right now is about 0.2 g. 0.15 might be enough to provide a secure "blanket" of herbs, but 0.2 just seems a little better in that department. I still want to try a 0.5 g load again. I realize now that whenever I get around to doing that, it's going to be a much different experience than when I tried it before.

I'm really not worried about whether 'vaporize' is the right word. It's just something I was thinking about, as I don't have much else to do with my life.

I'm expecting an Amazon delivery today, including PBW, which I'm really looking forward to trying out on my Aromed glass.

Aimless Ryan

Man, I wish more people would participate in this thread. I have plenty to discuss about the Aromed, but I don't want post after post to be from me, like it has been. Also, I think the people who read this thread in the future (while searching for the right vaporizer to buy, perhaps) would probably appreciate having more useful information to dig through.

Anyway, I finally got around to trying a 0.5 g load again, but with what now seems like a functional Aromed. I'm just getting started with this load, so I don't have a lot to say about it, but it seems to agree with me.

I rarely even use my Aromed below 456 anymore. I guess I just feel like I'm chasing a dragon or something when I do.

Aimless Ryan

Good results with the 0.5 g load, even though that much lasts me more than a day. This load darkened pretty fast, but then it just lasted and lasted. I never noticed it tasting bad, either. I am going to try an even bigger load today; perhaps 0.6 g (or maybe even 0.7 g).

I don't mind making a load last longer than a day, but I would rather be able to get similar results without having to use more than maybe 0.25 g.

StormyPinkness

Rhymenocerous ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
The look of this device drew me in, but then I find out it's not only convection but powered by a halogen light. This thing is so, so cool. I am sad I cannot buy it.

Top Bottom