Aromed 4.0

reziropav

Thanks luchciano.

I don't say that inserted herbs around the sensor will have no effect on the measurement.
But I'm sure that it will be small.

My measured difference is enormous.

If I find someone in Berlin who allows me to measure I will post the results. Of course I will measure than with and without herbs.

reziropav,
Reactions: luchiano

luchiano

@reziropav I did more research on type k thermocouples and they have a low thermal conductivity. This is good to get accurate measurements since they won't go over like a high conductive thermocouple like type T thermocouples. But, If you are measuring the air with one, chances are you will get false readings because air is a poor conductor. I can see why you are getting those low readings. It makes even more sense why franc wrote that you should use a metal with high conductivity, and place the type k sensors onto that. Because it is a high conductive metal, it will get to the temperature more precisely, and give you a better reading then just letting the sensor float in the moving air.

Last edited:
luchiano,

reziropav

Thanks a lot for your help and the time you spent answering me luchiano.

Meanwhile I get a response from Frank Fuchs (thanks for that to him). He told me the same as you cited above in #525 .
Further he told me, that he cannot say anything about which temperature one could expect in my documented way of measuring.

My intention in this thread had changed. From only measuring/checking my own device only to measuring comparable devices in the best way. Relevant for the practise.

I asked a friend of mine who is engineer at a big air plane company for help.

Some questions:
How do herbs behave in hot air?
In which way does the energy flows to the cells of the herbs until the active agents are exposed?
How strong is the chill factor of the herb itself?

Are there measuring expert reading here?
I'm curious to learn about best practice to measure temperatures in our case.

Of course independent of that, I still need to know if my own Aromed works correctly of if it has a damage (I bought it used).
Therefor I need another device in Berlin to compare it with mine.

reziropav,

luchiano

From what I've seen, herb just absorb the heat it is coming in contact with, but it also cools of fast as well once the heat is not going through it anymore. @Hippie Dickie can help you as far as measurements being taken of the herb and how things change, when dealing with his vaporizer he is developing.

luchiano,

reziropav

Thanks, I will contact @Hippie Dickie.

If someone is out there who has a good idea how to measure hot air without a perforated ag sheet with a K-Type sensor, maybe with some easy mods with a material which is available without problems (little flags of aluminium sheets e.g.): please let me know.

Is there anyone who measured with his Aromed in any way?

If he and me are using exactly the same method, that could also clear my question "is my device damaged or not?"

reziropav,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
Thanks, I will contact @Hippie Dickie.

If someone is out there who has a good idea how to measure hot air without a perforated ag sheet with a K-Type sensor, maybe with some easy mods with a material which is available without problems (little flags of aluminium sheets e.g.): please let me know.

Is there anyone who measured with his Aromed in any way?

If he and me are using exactly the same method, that could also clear my question "is my device damaged or not?"

Hi reziropav ... i don't have an Aromed, so i'm not sure i can offer much advice on your situation since my vaporizer geometry is wildly different from the Aromed.

But what i did is put the thermometer probe in the middle of the herb and measured the rise in temperature during an inhale. i.e. if the herb isn't getting hot air, it won't vaporize. my normal way of measuring and displaying the hot air is to measure the temperature of the oven tube that heats the incoming air. by putting a second probe in the middle of the herb, i found the herb temp reaches the oven tube temp during the first 5 seconds of the inhale.

so, my advice is to measure the temperature of the herb during your inhale.

Hippie Dickie,

J-Kill9109

This was kind of my line of thinking when talking about loading the chamber. Understandable it would cool off if you put too much in but I'm fairly sure you would have to have a slight divider layer in order to get a simulation of vaporizing temp during use.
Having no filled chamber would effect the temperature because the cooler air below the herb holder will lower the temperature of the hot air above it because you have nothing separating the two. I don't know how else to explain it but, this is what I was sent as an answer:

"The way you did, no go! Proposal:To simulate the filling by inserting an ultra thin perforated sheet of very highly conductive material(Cu= no,Ag= yes) into the holder and measure the temp with more than one probe..Thus,a relatively accurate result is obtained with Type K element. Like you did, with the very small measuring point from the thermocouple the chill-factor effects occur=measuring point remains below the temp. of airflow."

J-Kill9109,

reziropav

@HippieDickie
Thanks for describing your way of measuring.

Well, I think it's neccessary to find out how scientists measure in comparable situations. Which kind of sensors do they use? And so on ...
Is there any documented international standard of measuring the treatment of dry herbs with hot floating air?

There are people who write books about herbs and they give advise which temperature of hot air is the best for a specific herb.
Which way of measuring do they use? Where do they document it?

reziropav,

bayneite

hey all, I recently bought an aromed vapouriser and I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

i enjoy its retro look and this was the final main reason I chose this unit over the herbalizer. plus I have never liked using bags so i didn't need that feature.

I use the aromed at 185/365 moving up to 190/374 after a stir. i believe this temp. to be pretty safe and effective. this coolish temperature provides effortless efficient hits with decent vapour output. not being 16... having voluminous clouds billowing forth doesn't matter when, imo the effect is superior with less. I absolutely love the effect this vape has... smooth and comfortable.

another plus from lower temp. extraction is being able to use the vape dregs in medibles. I make cookies from the collected remains and i gobble these before bedtime, to safely and effectively overcome cruel insomnia. I have a magical butter machine so it's all pretty effortless.

I have had many many vapes over the years starting with an aromazap about 10 or 11 years ago. I can unequivocally say that this is my best to date! with a vape this good I can easily put up with any minor idiosyncrasies (read strap placement) of the unit.

performance wise I give it a 10/10.

Last edited:

J-Kill9109

@bayneite I'm glad you're enjoying your Aromed! Have you tried the foam pellets yet for concentrates and tinctures? I bought one, it's made out of glass and it holds 1ml liquid or a small amount of wax/oil... Any full melt hash really. It's pretty amazing with them too. One tip I'll give Ya though, don't be bashful with the concentrates and turn the unit all the way up, I think you'll like the results! I actually vaped some ever clear as well, pretty legit way to clean your glass screen and still get the goodies out too! :)

J-Kill9109,

BreeJay

Heh, apparently not a popular vape.

@bayneite I'm glad you're enjoying your Aromed! Have you tried the foam pellets yet for concentrates and tinctures? I bought one, it's made out of glass and it holds 1ml liquid or a small amount of wax/oil.
Can anyone point me to an inexpensive source for parts in NA ( preferably Canada ) ? The cheapest I have found is to ebay them from Germany...........however my recent purchase of foam pellets seem to have disappeared en route to Canada.

BreeJay,

lazylathe

Almost there...
lazylathe,

lazylathe

Almost there...
Heya,

Thanks.

Thats where I bought it. It was 20$ cheaper to have a replacement water holder sent from Germany. And that is before tax and shipping. I am hoping to find a cheaper ( or at least similar ) source more local.

EDIT:.............and they don't have the glass pellets I am after. :(

ebay store.
http://www.ebay.ca/sch/afu1975/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Original parts can be expensive!
I have yet to break a part on my Aromed...
I try and be very gentle with it at all times, it just seems so fragile!

lazylathe,
Reactions: BreeJay

BreeJay

Original parts can be expensive!
I have yet to break a part on my Aromed...
I try and be very gentle with it at all times, it just seems so fragile!
The expense is one thing.......its the huge difference in price that gets me.

I am generally very careful with my glass. I chipped a tiny tiny fragment out of the glass holder by following the supplied instructions for 'locking' the lamp in place. The herb holder ended up locking with the water holder. This was despite me seeing this exact scenario in a review I had read. Still use the original, but I do have a new one in case of terminal failure...........................nothing quite like messing up a favourite toy. :(

Last edited:

lazylathe

Almost there...
The expense is one thing.......its the huge difference in price that gets me.

I am generally very careful with my glass. I chipped a tiny tiny fragment out of the glass holder by following the supplied instructions for 'locking' the lamp in place. The herb holder ended up locking with the water holder. This was despite me seeing this exact scenario in a review I had read. Still use the original, but I do have a new one in case of terminal failure...........................nothing quite like messing up a favourite toy. :(

I am finding that a thin film of vaseline on the glass on glass joints helps a lot!
What scares me the most is locking the light holder to the herb holder...

And i wish the screen was closer to the lamp sometimes...

lazylathe,

BreeJay

I am finding that a thin film of vaseline on the glass on glass joints helps a lot!
That was the original fix I had seen in said review. I tried that for awhile. It works well. I decided to use a different method.

What I find works well is to do every thing when its warmed up. The lamp holder expands and no longer needs to 'click' into place. Then I give the herb holder a quick little turn to make sure its loose once the two have been brought together. :)

BreeJay,

sweetherb

I just got my Aromed back after sending it in to the manufacturer for repairs.

Let me start by saying what a pleasure it is dealing with Frank Fuchs and the team at R&E. They really are forthcoming, open and friendly.

Now on to the good stuff. I have been using the Mighty from S&B in the meantime and have become a massive fan of that. It is without question the best portable out there for my money and will always have a place for me.

However, what I realised today (after signing for the delivery and opening the package like a 5-year old on Christmas morning) is that it cannot even come close to the Aromed in terms of efficiency or flavor. I ground up some stinky UK cheese and tasted flavors that I never knew were there with the Mighty! All floral and earthy.

But the crazy thing about this unit is that it just gets me higher than any other vape I have ever tried, even when comparing the exact same bud. I have absolutely no explanation for this, but have noticed it repeatedly when trying other vapes. Not only that, you use less bud than other vapes, especially ones like the Extreme Q.

Needless to say, it immediately took its #1 spot back in my rotation. Happy days! Vape on.

sweetherb,

pmac

And i wish the screen was closer to the lamp sometimes...

Would adding a pad or 2 under the screen not get the product closer to the lamp? i have a new unit I haven't even unpacked yet, itching to open it. Don't know if it comes with them, but I know they can be purchased. But I was thinking to add a pad below the screen to raise it. Just wondering myself if that is an option?

pmac,

pmac

Would someone mind telling me how much you usually put into the bowl? When I was trying the unit last night, I didn't put much, but it was very fine found using a finishing grinder, and when I did a pull on the whip, the ground plant was flying all over the place, and it all piled up on the edges leaving the center empty. I put about as much in as my Arizer Air portable holds in the bowl.

Last edited:
pmac,

pmac

Thank you. I think I will not grind as fine for this unit, unlike the portable one.
Plus I will up the amount I put in.

pmac,

BreeJay

No worries.

This vape does have a bit of a a learning curve.......more so than any other I own. That being said, once I got my technique down, I can barely tear myself away from it.

BreeJay,

sweetherb

No worries.

This vape does have a bit of a a learning curve.......more so than any other I own. That being said, once I got my technique down, I can barely tear myself away from it.

I agree 100%. At first, you may feel like it is not performing, but you will quickly learn to love it.

Last night, I weighed the standard amount I put in one bowl. It was around 0.75g. This generally gives me around 10 full sessions, which keeps me high for two days from 4pm til bedtime. In the Mighty, I was using around the same amount per day.

You really cannot beat digitally controlled convection with a glass heat source!

sweetherb,

pmac

Thanks for the info, the unit worked really well tonight a few hours ago when I gave it another go.

pmac,
Top Bottom