Aromatherapy

greenganja

Sticksstones: "Are you not able to use the PD with the bowl it comes with for oils? I would love to a see a list of what oils (or whatever else you use for aroma) are good for what effects. I'm very interested in your opinions! I know nothing about aroma therapy but am very interested."

Sure you can use the copper diffuser cup that comes with the PD for burning some oil. However, I am a little particular when it comes to using essential oils and prefer to use them in conjunction with a nebulizer.

Proper use of a nebulizing diffuser is the professional's choice for inhaling, absorbing, and utilizing the healing properties of essential oils. A Nebulizer processes essential oils into a near gas-like state, releasing atomized microscopic oil particles into the air, thus making the oil more readily absorbed by the body and senses. Simply pour in the oil of your choice into the glass cylinder and simply turn it on!

We use a lot of Bergamont oil because it stimulates the pancreas and the liver in some people, has shown anti-microbial effects in some studies, especially on the bronchies, and may offer support in cases of slow digestion and hypertension. The therapeutic properties of Neroli oil are antidepressant, antiseptic, anti-infectious, antispasmodic, and can be used as a bactericidal. In vapor therapy, eucalyptus oil may be used for frequent sneezing, hay fever, flu, respiratory problems, as an insect repellant, headaches and for helping to improve concentration. In vapor therapy, patchouli oil can be used to fight anxiety and depression, while at the same time creating a very amorous atmosphere and acting as an insect repellent. Grapefruit oil can be used for hangovers, headaches, over indulgence, mental exhaustion and depression. jasmine oil can be diffused for treating addiction, lifting depression, easing nervousness, soothing coughs, promoting relaxation and easing tension. As you can see each oil has it's own set of properties and can be used singularly or blended with other oil's to make a type of elixir which could be diffused for a specific purpose. Around the house we usually have at least two essential oil diffuser's burning throughout the day. Usually a blend of grapefruit or neroli as the main carrier oil because of their refreshing qualities.

greenganja,

Honey Bear

I am a huge fan of vetiver, it is earthy, dirty, and grounding. Not one to diffuse as a crowd pleaser, but great for solo introspection. Peppermint is my favorite for plain 'ol good smelling invigoration! Sooooo nice and sure to be loved by all.

Honey Bear,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Thanks a lot...that's great info!

I just got my PD this morning, but after they stopped packing the lavender oil...so I'm looking for something quick for now.

So, using a nebulizer is best, but can I get the effects from sitting next to my PD with oil on it while I work? I would love to use this thing all day long like that, but not if it is a waste of oil with regards to effect. Obviously I can get a good smell fro the house from it, but I hope to be able to get some aromatherapy benefit from it as well. What do you think?

Also, what would you suggest for me to pick up that would be cheap and a good starter oil for someone who has never done this before?

And, my son has a nebulizer for his asthma...is that something I could use like yours?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am really interested and excited about the possibilities!

stickstones,

greenganja

Stickstones,
No worries, you will still receive the benefits of diffusing the oil even without a nebulizer. The copper diffuser cup that came with your pd is more than adequate.

greenganja,

max

Out to lunch
Also, what would you suggest for me to pick up that would be cheap and a good starter oil for someone who has never done this before?
I haven't used a lot of essential oils, but the ones I've used and liked are
Peppermint, Lavender, Juniper Berry. Eucalyptus is supposed to have some good benefits, but I'm not crazy about the smell.

Here's a site I like for different oils and what they're used for. http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/aroma/ess.html

max,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
thanks guys...just went down the street and got a bottle of lavender oil and some lavender and pine incense sticks. I currently have the crushed up lavender stick on there and it is smelling up the place nicely. Will try the oil later. I think the incense will be great when all I want is a good smell, while the oil can be used when I want a better smell with the effect as well.

stickstones,

greenganja

Stickstones,
Lavender, Jasmine, Patchouly or Peppermint are some very good basic low cost oils to start out with. You really can't go wrong with any of the above listed oils as they all have pleasant aroma and healthy benefits. If I had to pick two I would start with Peppermint and Jasmine. Use the peppermint for when you need a lift or really need to focus on a project or something. Use the Jasmine for relaxation maybe after a good vape session or right before bed.

greenganja,

Purple-Days

Good to hear that you had no trouble finding some aroma goodies to use Sticks. Sorry we had to stop supplying the oils. I have a pretty big container of the Violet Blossom, Oh well...

I'm gonna find the link to Pammy's favorite sites for aroma. She has a small box of scents from these folks. www.escential.net ..... and www.thescentwizard.com are two that she uses and likes. I think the second one even has a 6 pack mini-tube sampler, you pick the scents. I'll get Pammy to post a link. A neat way to try on the cheap before buying a full botle.

Note of caution: I am sure I read health cautions on some of the essential oils. Can't remember particular medical conditions and which e-oils were bad for those, but I remember that it seemed best to read up on things. Not dive in with no direction. Also warnings like... KEEP OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN.

I like flower fragrances, Jasmine and gardenia are both very good and I ask Pammy to use Honeysuckle a lot, very light and pleasant. Orange Blossom (not orange) is nice too. Would you believe watermellon or grapefruit or tangerine?

Purple-Days,

greenganja

Orange Blossom oil is great. I burn it all the time, it is a very uplifting and refreshing scent, which can also be used for it's anti-septic properties. On a side note, Neroli oil is pretty much the same thing as Orange Blossom oil. Thanks everyone. Peace to the Leaf.:peace:

greenganja,

KeepCalm

Reindeer, reindeer, reindeer
I have two blends my lady bought - lavender/chamomile and peppermint/chamomile. We keep them going all day in the PD.

KeepCalm,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
i actually just realized that im interested in learning more about aromatherapy, ive always kind of "sculpted" the smell of my room, (ive recently taken to a little sesame oil on a coffee mug warmer)
i really just want some good info sites that i can jsut nose through, i dont expect to be able to learn enough to be a professional from the internet, but id just like a base knowledge enough so that i can muddle around with a better sense of my feet as it were, i dont mind longer reads as long as im not too vaked

theres 2 weeks of winter break left and i feel the need to go a-reeesurchin' :D

Acolyte of Zinglon,

greenganja

I studied Naturopathy & Oligotherapy in France for seven years. Naturopathy and Oligotherapy are pretty much two forms of holistic healing that deal with healing via essential oils & their aromatherapuetic benefits. Naturopathy is a widely practiced form of natural healing using hydrosols, essential oils which have been cultivated and harvested from various herbs and flowers. You will not hear much about it here in the United States due to western medicine being the usual choice of treatment in the states. However in European countries it is a common way to go about the process of a homeopathic way of healing using nature's own ingredients instead of man made chemicals. Anyhow I would be glad to help in any way that I can. Here are a few links that may help get you started in your quest for knowledge about Aromatherapy.

http://www.naha.org/index.html

http://www.auroma.com/recipe.php?cat=Oil Burner

http://www.healthy.net/scr/therapy.asp?ThId=2

http://www.naha.org/top_10.htm

greenganja,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I've now used both lavender incense and lavender oil in the PD. The incense smell lasted for days, while the oil (diluted with water) was stronger but only lasted a few hours. I understand why, but is there a physical benefit that the oil can give that the incense can't? Based on what I can perceive, it looks like the incense is the better deal, by far in terms of money, unless the oil has an effect that the incense doesn't that I'm not aware of. Any thoughts, GG?

stickstones,

greenganja

The incense is really just to produce a pleasant aroma. However, the benefits of diffusing essential oil especially if using a nebulizer is that the particles in the oil are broken down into smaller particles during the diffusing process, thus making the oil particles easier for absorbtion through the skin or through inhalation. Essential oils makes it possible to experience health benefits that other methods of essential oil application do not provide. Heat diffusion is less desirable because it alters the molecular constituents of the essential oil. Passive diffusion is typically very slow, particularly with less volatile essential oils, providing inferior therapeutic benefit. Because the nebulizer produces such a fine essential oil mist, oils are easily absorbed via the lungs through inhalation. Nebulizing essential oils that affect the breathing passages nose, sinuses, throat, and lungs ? can have dramatic therapeutic benefits, and may help alleviate conditions such as asthma, bronchitis, and sinusitis. Essential oils are known to be effective against bacteria, molds, and viruses, and diffusion of essential oils has been shown to reduce surface and air microbes. This may be especially helpful for those with mold allergies. Electric diffusers and nebulizers disperse essential oils into the room in such a way that can not be achieved by other diffusion methods. Scientific studies have shown that there are enhanced emotional and mood effects of aromatherapy. Specific essential oils are recognized for mood lifting, calming, relaxing, or mind focusing effects. With a more concentrated and complete dispersion of essential oils into the room, electric diffusion with a nebulizer enhances these effects. Sorry for the long post, but to sum it up I would say if you are only wanting to fill your house with a pleasant smell, then the incense is a great method. If you are wanting more of the healthy benefits then go with the essential oil. Otherwise, I would just stick with the incense.

greenganja,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
You guys sold me, just ordered some stuff from www.newdirectionsaromatics.ca . Seems like a good choice for Canucks.

1 x Lavender French Essential Oil 100 ml
1 x Grapefruit Pink Essential Oil 100 ml
1 x Peppermint Supreme Essential Oil 100 ml
1 x Vanilla 10 Fold Essential Oil 15 ml
1 x Bergamot Essential Oil 100 ml

Wanted some neroli oil but damn that stuff is crazy expensive.

vtac,

greenganja

vtac said:
You guys sold me, just ordered some stuff from www.newdirectionsaromatics.ca . Seems like a good choice for Canucks.

1 x Lavender French Essential Oil 100 ml
1 x Grapefruit Pink Essential Oil 100 ml
1 x Peppermint Supreme Essential Oil 100 ml
1 x Vanilla 10 Fold Essential Oil 15 ml
1 x Bergamot Essential Oil 100 ml

Wanted some neroli oil but damn that stuff is crazy expensive.
Vtac, excellent choices of essential oil's my friend. You really can't go wrong with any of the oil's that you have chosen. I hope that you enjoy the pleasant scent and health benefits of Aromatherpay. It has been a true pleasure to be able to assist on this particular thread. Thank you

greenganja,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Received my order today, diffusing away.

The lavender (French) is quite strong, less of a flower fragrance than I imagined, but pleasant mixed with some bergamot and vanilla, imo. Lots of experimenting to do, it's fun being a complete noob. :)

It's pretty cool, shining a flashlight above the cap you can see the fine mist pluming upwards, works for exhaled vapor as well. ;)

I'll plug New Directions Aromatics since they were fast and gave me a coupon for my next order. Seems like one of the more serious operations online (in my limited experience at least), they have gas chromatography analysis reports for each oil, ISO registered, etc.

vtac,

Skunkypete

Escape Artist
Thanks for the link Vtac. Your previous post intrigued me and I ordered some a couple days ago. The fact they have a Canadian store sealed the deal but UPS is a pain for me since that usually means I either have to take a day off work or go get it at their depo on the other side of town. I asked them if they could ship Canada Post instead of UPS but haven't heard back from them yet. Can't wait to try it out in the PD :D

Skunkypete,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Yup, I just put in an order to that place too.... I was going to order from the Scent wizard, but I liked the layout of New Directions, and they have a good selection.

Here is what I got

Lavender Population Essential Oil 1/6 oz
$4.55

Tea Tree Australian Essential Oil 1/6 oz
$4.25

Invigorating Type Synergy Blend 1/2 oz
$4.86

Tea Tree Lemon Essential Oil 1/6 oz
$2.73

Grapefruit Pink Essential Oil 1/2 oz
$3.00

Orange Sweet Dark Essential Oil 1/2 oz
$3.09

Pretty stoked. :D Looking forward to the Tea Tree in my Tea Tree. :lol:

greenganja, glad you are here! So much to learn.... anything you care to enlighten me about on my particular choices? I'll have to check out those links you posted.... :)

SpiralArchitect,

SoThrowd

I would love to do this aromatherapy, but my vape actually looks like a vape. I want to get a pd just because it looks like it is only a aroma therapy device.

SoThrowd,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
I received an email from NewDirectionsAromatics....

Essential oils can't be put in airplanes apparently.... They gave me an ETA of4-6 months, via Canadian Post.
FUCK THAT.

I won't be able to order any (from anyone) because of where I live (no roads) without having to wait for it to travel from wherever it is, via ground, up the Alaskan highway in a van, across the border to Anchorage, on a barge, through SE AK, to my town.... man, this blows, hard. :(

SpiralArchitect,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
The monkeys have taken over, in other words, I've been feeling very silly lately. :p

(Actually... their is a new one in queue from Pammy... stay tuned)

SpiralArchitect,
Top Bottom