Arizer Solo

Xelatsok

vapes tobacco modding the vapes
Simple mod to improve airflow on good old Solo and Air — put a screen to the oven bottom. Use screen of 15+ mm diameter, so it will keep itself securely by tension. This adds air gaps and prevents herbs from direct contact to oven. Mod is reversible, remove the screen anytime.

YPf8az8l.jpg

Once I put a second, domed screen on top. This further increased airflow, lowered the heat and increased convection/conduction ratio. At the same time this increased battery consumption a lot, so I removed domed screen. Sorry, no exact photo, but you may get an idea from the photo of the same VapCap mod below. There I placed domed screen to the cap bottom to prevent it from direct contact with tobacco and avoid charring.

2ARz4HQl.jpg

Xelatsok,
Reactions: Jambi619

kellya86

Herb gardener...
I love the effort and thinking of new ways to improve things....
I do the same...

But the same is achieved my simple not packing your vapcap tight to the end... (which your not supposed to do)...

I suppose it avoids lifting the stem on the old solo to improve the airflow...
But I don't do that anyway, I find my solo to have more than adequate airflow....

Still, good thinking...

kellya86,
Reactions: Xelatsok

Leathersmith

So just to confirm here, will I be fine taking an arizer solo on a British airways flight to Chicago, in hand luggage ???

BaIOxZI.jpg
I don't think I would risk it.. they'll for sure think it's a 50 caliber hand gun of some sort and take it from you..

ls

But then I may not be able to bring it home anyway....
If it gets taken I'll buy a solo2, but I won't let it go easy....
I can't see that it's any more potentially harmfull than a power bar..
Was hoping @OF could confirm that the batteries are allowed at least...

Its just a vaporizer eh????

Send it back to yourself by post...

Last edited by a moderator:

lookhigh

FC member
I remember buying an open box solo, got posted to me from US.
I proceeded to give this a good clean. Must have been a couple of grams of ABV inside it. Makes you wonder what do customs look for.

OF

I remember buying an open box solo, got posted to me from US.
I proceeded to give this a good clean. Must have been a couple of grams of ABV inside it. Makes you wonder what do customs look for.

If they look hard enough at most any used vape they can find residue enough for a bust. Residuals you can't even see, but easy to find with advanced techniques available (like blood at a murder scene). It's more a matter of them not looking, or if they do in a casual way I think.

Even a brand new vape, still in the sealed box, could cause you some grief. But a used one can make that so much more productive for the Blue Meanies.

OF

Andreaerdna

If God is the answer, then the question is wrong
Did anyone try modding his solo carefully enlarging the 4 tiny holes in the bottom of the bowl?

I just noticed solo2 has wider holes

Andreaerdna,

OF

No need and no point. I like mine as is.
Less airflow more clouds. There is only so much 1 heater can do.

Well said. Only so much heat available.

Drawing 'extra' (cold) air in only robs available heat that would otherwise make more vapor to heat it up to magic temperature......where it can only dilute the vapor.

So 'less restriction' makes for easier to get, less dense clouds that are hotter (bad on the throat?) than necessary for the dose delivered.

It's not like blazing (where more air makes more fire and more heat), IMO as a MMJ issue this is a step backwards potentially. For 'sport' use, that could be different?

Guys should experiment for sure. I suspect more come back to factory form and slower draws even when lowered restriction would allow otherwise than not? A lot of us have PVHESs not being used as much as stock stems. Lots of us cling to 'old fashioned' Solos, despite the 'improvements', liking them for what they are I guess?

OF

Andreaerdna

If God is the answer, then the question is wrong
@OF @lookhigh thankyoufor your valuable opinion.

while 1 heater can do only so much, if you step up your usual temperature and let more cold air in it may result in an amazing modding.

For instance: I like 4-5 setting temp wise. If adding more airflow and setting it on 7 can get me similar 5ish temperature but higher airflow I will like it. Like stems with grooves

OF

For instance: I like 4-5 setting temp wise. If adding more airflow and setting it on 7 can get me similar 5ish temperature but higher airflow I will like it. Like stems with grooves

True enough, but you sacrifice temperature control to get it. That is by adding say 3 steps (about 30F) to the cup you run the risk of cooking your load at that higher temperature as soon as the flow slows. Right?

Many of us do this (crank it up to 7 instead for the normal 4) when using a WT, but the WT can help negate and mask this effect. A way to get bigger clouds but not without penalty. By all means try, but expect harsher vapor due to higher temperatures (and increased volumes). Having water helps with that, for many of us makes it bearable. Without water, I would not be doing step 7. Too nasty for me.

OF

Buzzbomb Almighty

That's what I do 9/10 of the time (at least), and right now using the @ataxian piece, how did you know? You have to use those powers for good, OF.
@kellya86 how long will you be in Chicago? I can't accept that out of all the people there it isn't possible for someone to accomodate you. Is it a holiday? My thinking is a friendly vape shop (or individual) could supply a new Solo for the going rate then buy it back for a bit less and either keep it or sell it for reduced price and profit or not as is their wish.
Easier than depending on the kindness of strangers is cold logistics; You could order a new Solo to meet you at your destination then offer it for sale as lightly used in the classifieds on here prior to your departure.

Last edited:

Xalticus

Hi! I'm relatively new to the Arizer Solo, I got one second hand & have been loving it!

I have run into a few problems here & there over the past few months of use. Most of these problems have been cleared up by dismantling the Solo & cleaning it, however the latest issue seems to run a little deeper than normal; there are these weird silver discs that are in a continuing state of disrepair, the one at the bottom of the oven is flaking away like no one's business.

Is there anything I can do about this or am I out of luck?

Xalticus,

Buzzbomb Almighty

@Buzzbomb Almighty I live on the WEST COAST?
Kelly is going to COLORADO.

I'm sure there are Colorado Vaporist to accommodate?

Waiting for my unbreakable GonG from Ed at TnT.

Can't wait until I can SOLO again!

I use something else to be CIVILIZED
usa-map.gif
Ataxian why wouldn't he fly to Denver then instead of Chicago? I only looked back through a few pages but there may be an earlier reference to Colorado. Tnis is a chance for someone to get a new Solo with only holiday use (2 - 3 weeks? no idea) with a little cash discount. I have 3 and don't need another, but the other day I did end up using 1 while the other 2 charged. :) You should make a deal for it @ataxian, settle all the details and Kelly can mail it to you the day before flying back.

OF

There should be a rent a vape at the airports.

Proper hotels should have them in the rooms. After all, they have those horrid little coffee makers, scant use to us tea drinkers.

Provide say Volcanoes or Solos (either in the room, from the Concierge, or maybe Room Service) and I can guarantee repeat customers. Perhaps not the ideal sort of customers, but their money is good and they're sure to keep the parties quieter than the drinkers.......

We've come a long ways lately, but there are still some details to get sorted out.

OF

blackstone

I'm going to send a link to Kellya86 for a cheap Solo deal that maybe they could have delivered to a hotel in time?
Hope it helps or is affordable enough.
But it could be an idea to pick something up in America within budget, or another portable depending on local deals, and maybe post it home?

There should be a rent a vape at the airports.

It's bad when you can't even find an Air at an Airport!!!

My franchise desk would have a Solo-4-U rental option with unlimited lavender and snacks!

Proper hotels should have them in the rooms. After all, they have those horrid little coffee makers, scant use to us tea drinkers.

Provide say Volcanoes or Solos (either in the room, from the Concierge, or maybe Room Service) and I can guarantee repeat customers. Perhaps not the ideal sort of customers, but their money is good and they're sure to keep the parties quieter than the drinkers.......

We've come a long ways lately, but there are still some details to get sorted out.

OF

If I had a hotel, I would give a free prize to anyone who can set off the smoke alarm using vapes only.
Room service would rake in a fortune?!

OF

If I had a hotel, I would give a free prize to anyone who can set off the smoke alarm using vapes only.
Room service would rake in a fortune?!

I've got a friend (a former workmate) who took his second wife on a cruse for a honeymoon. A many times refitted WWII troop transport, now for the idle rich and those pretending to be. 6,000 troops, now 600 passengers with 1700 crew serving them. He's getting out of the shower, second day, and the fire alarm goes off. He turns out in shorts and bathrobe with his life jacket on schedule. They come through looking for him, the smoke alarm is in his cabin.....

He doesn't smoke, and just got out of the shower. The new wife, also a non smoker, is elsewhere. They give him the 3rd degree anyway, apologize to the passengers and dismiss everyone. Crediting it to old wiring.

Next morning it's a repeat. This time he takes his time and dresses. The First Officer is there, looking for him again. He insists he'd just got out of the shower and sprayed on deodorant when the alarm when off. He suggested that, they dismissed him and gave him the knowing look...... So he took the First down to his cabin and demonstrated 'what happened just before the lights went out'.......set the alarm off for a third time. He was not very popular with the other passengers. The Captain took it better, invited the two of them to his table for dinner and had a good laugh. Not the ideal honeymoon memory, but one he'll never forget I bet.

OF

blackstone

I've got a friend (a former workmate) who took his second wife on a cruse for a honeymoon. A many times refitted WWII troop transport, now for the idle rich and those pretending to be. 6,000 troops, now 600 passengers with 1700 crew serving them. He's getting out of the shower, second day, and the fire alarm goes off. He turns out in shorts and bathrobe with his life jacket on schedule. They come through looking for him, the smoke alarm is in his cabin.....

He doesn't smoke, and just got out of the shower. The new wife, also a non smoker, is elsewhere. They give him the 3rd degree anyway, apologize to the passengers and dismiss everyone. Crediting it to old wiring.

Next morning it's a repeat. This time he takes his time and dresses. The First Officer is there, looking for him again. He insists he'd just got out of the shower and sprayed on deodorant when the alarm when off. He suggested that, they dismissed him and gave him the knowing look...... So he took the First down to his cabin and demonstrated 'what happened just before the lights went out'.......set the alarm off for a third time. He was not very popular with the other passengers. The Captain took it better, invited the two of them to his table for dinner and had a good laugh. Not the ideal honeymoon memory, but one he'll never forget I bet.

OF

Very funny! Maybe some steam didn't help too!
I saw a man triggering/testing the detector heads once with an aerosol and an enclosure to simulate smoke. Maybe it was just regular deodorant in the can!

Or they have fancy versions of the detectors now in traffic tunnels to control pollution management.
I have toyed with ideas of cool future vapes that employ these detectors in the vapor path, and deliver nothing only the particular density of vapor that you have pre-selected!

I should have kept that a secret and I might have turned out idle rich and eating at the Captains table one day!

OF

Very funny! Maybe some steam didn't help too!
I saw a man triggering/testing the detector heads once with an aerosol and an enclosure to simulate smoke. Maybe it was just regular deodorant in the can!

It turns out Freon is a common test gas (not something they like to advertise.....). As is Sulfur Hexafloride (SF6), the insulating gas used in high voltage switching gear in power stations and distribution centers around the world. Freon 12 and 22 used to be standards for insulating gas Fun gas, very 'electro negative' on the outside with Florine sticking out in six different directions (literally). Seven times denser than air, you can pour it like water in still air. Makers put a shot in a garbage can and use it all day long.

I found this out when I was assigned the task of designing and installing a safety system to detect a gas leak in a microscope I was responsible for. It was one of a lot of 'punches' on the safety review. Only, since it's not toxic (suffocation hazard only) nobody makes a certified detector for it. Several makers advised me 'just buy a smoke alarm', but I could not find a single maker of smoke alarms (I contacted over a dozen....) who would specify what percentage their unit would detect. I could have used anything less than 50% Health and Safety said. My suggestion for a couple of smoke detectors on the basement floor was rejected (100% leakdown with no building leaks (not possible due to the HVAC) would have made a 8 inch thick cloud, dangerous for guys napping on the floor face down in the basement.....). I finally got them to accept Oxygen sensors used in Mine Safety. Kind of an 'air battery' that needs annual replacement. So help me they made me move the two sensors on the basement floor up to the operators level above......like the gas was going to stay there.....

Anyway, I suspect Chuck had an old or foreign spray can with Freon?

Good luck on sitting at the big table, the dinner stories with the mates and engineers are better I think. Or were anyway.

OF

blackstone

It turns out Freon is a common test gas (not something they like to advertise.....). As is Sulfur Hexafloride (SF6), the insulating gas used in high voltage switching gear in power stations and distribution centers around the world. Freon 12 and 22 used to be standards for insulating gas Fun gas, very 'electro negative' on the outside with Florine sticking out in six different directions (literally). Seven times denser than air, you can pour it like water in still air. Makers put a shot in a garbage can and use it all day long.

I found this out when I was assigned the task of designing and installing a safety system to detect a gas leak in a microscope I was responsible for. It was one of a lot of 'punches' on the safety review. Only, since it's not toxic (suffocation hazard only) nobody makes a certified detector for it. Several makers advised me 'just buy a smoke alarm', but I could not find a single maker of smoke alarms (I contacted over a dozen....) who would specify what percentage their unit would detect. I could have used anything less than 50% Health and Safety said. My suggestion for a couple of smoke detectors on the basement floor was rejected (100% leakdown with no building leaks (not possible due to the HVAC) would have made a 8 inch thick cloud, dangerous for guys napping on the floor face down in the basement.....). I finally got them to accept Oxygen sensors used in Mine Safety. Kind of an 'air battery' that needs annual replacement. So help me they made me move the two sensors on the basement floor up to the operators level above......like the gas was going to stay there.....

Anyway, I suspect Chuck had an old or foreign spray can with Freon?

Good luck on sitting at the big table, the dinner stories with the mates and engineers are better I think. Or were anyway.

OF

With new man made illnesses and the chemicals and matter we've uncovered and developed with unworldly, almost scary characteristics like that.
It's no wonder the whales are jumping out of the sea!

We're lucky to be still around because health and safety still seems a new thing.
But even the most basic of foul air situations can be fatal and catch the human brain out too. And still does regularly

And yes I knew an engineer back when he was still on his land legs and he was great fun. He'd love to see all this vaporizer technology and little designs that work well now.
I suppose for dinner, they could all sit around at an old ships piston instead of a table! lol

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
With new man made illnesses and the chemicals and matter we've uncovered and developed with unworldly, almost scary characteristics like that.
It's no wonder the whales are jumping out of the sea!

We're lucky to be still around because health and safety still seems a new thing.
But even the most basic of foul air situations can be fatal and catch the human brain out too. And still does regularly

And yes I knew an engineer back when he was still on his land legs and he was great fun. He'd love to see all this vaporizer technology and little designs that work well now.
I suppose for dinner, they could all sit around at an old ships piston instead of a table! lol
rr48jU7.jpg

CIVILIZED

Top Bottom