Arizer Solo

Buzzbomb Almighty

I'm with you there.
It's a funny thing about the Solo, there is almost nothing that isn't worth trying, and some things that don't seem to work well at first may come around after time. After not using dry stems at all for ages I've started enjoying them on occasion when out and about. I hardly ever go through 2 sessions on a single bowl because it doesn't seem to taste as good, so I just bite the bullet and take that last hit or 2.

OF

It's a funny thing about the Solo, there is almost nothing that isn't worth trying, and some things that don't seem to work well at first may come around after time.

That is so very true! Profound perhaps, especially to those who are looking for specific step by step instructions to nirvana. That path is likely different from the next fellows, of course.

There are, I think, a couple of things that should definitely not be tried. For instance, putting water down the cup end of the works? Granted many seem to us/blame friends for this, the reports of results are uniformly poor? Likewise, asking the Stewardess or a local Cop how you should turn it on is not advised.........

But BB has it down cold, don't trust other guys (and gals....) subjective opinions. Try it for yourself and see what happens in the only test that really matters. Remember what Dick Martin said about computers selecting dates on 'Laugh In', "I'd rather mix the martinis and screen them myself".

OF

Buzzbomb Almighty

There are, I think, a couple of things that should definitely not be tried. For instance, putting water down the cup end of the works?
First time using a bubbler, it's easy because you usually turn the solo upside down to take the stem out. Psssssst! Snap! I got off lucky, and only lost a stem. It doesn't take long to get re-trained.

Buzzbomb Almighty,
Reactions: OF

Leathersmith

Had a freaking EPIPHANY WITH MY 3 YEARS OLD SOLO!!

Loaded a fat pinch that slightly tamped made 1/3 of the bowl, like 2 or 3 millimetres.

Set on 7 and pulled 3-4 huge fucking convective hits like if it was a full bowl and then few more whispy and session ended in around 5 minutes with a light brown ABV with a browner spot in the middle

For all saying solo is mainly conduction the browner spot was in the middle, like a convection vape!

New fucking love for this old great tool. And hope it fails soon so I justify Solo II ;)

Better to load 1/3 3 times than a full bowl! For both battery life and flavour!!

Edit: restriction is way lesser too. Love this way 10 times more, microdosing and flavour are both improved

You young whipper snappers.. I pondered your post and while I don't really see the value in huge high temperature hits (seems wasteful to this old fart)... but... I filled my tube a few days ago with much less pot than normal and then domed the inside of the load so that none of it touched the heating element during the cycle.. Your 'convection/conduction' statement got my attention.. Not on single cough (I'm a pussy when it comes to big hits.. just end out cough/puking)... much better flavor and was able to do the whole cycle on temp 5 which I usually have to back down to 4 after about half way... Been doing it ever since.. thanks for the inspiration to change my old ways..

L

Buzzbomb Almighty

Chinese Christmas! The first bubbler I ordered (like ataxian's skinny one) came, and the portable and gong I just ordered came waayyyyy sooner than expected. I missed the mail, but had to go back home to mill one board and saw the letter carrier just finishing our block. I chased after her and sure enough she had my package and the second one which was a surprise. The bubbler works a treat, it's tall but most of the channels are narrow so the volume is great for the Solo. I haven't used the portable (like a pinnacle) yet but put some water in it and it seems a little splashy, more research is warranted, and the gong that comes with it looks pretty good.

kilrtjat

Accessory Maker
Hello
I see you have a damaged solo ... you do not want to try my idea for free. I need someone who has it so damaged.

I have already cut off on my bottom. But there is a problem with serial number and US laws.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/thblluslg5gbgc7/04.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mxhdsmm8oso2lif/01.JPG?dl=0

So I created a prototype plastic, which should go put on the original bottom. So far, the test version.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r7bb5azxgtt09sf/bottom01.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n5c2xneurg800bs/prototyp_botom_09_2016.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7tojgyy8jkuftgf/prototyp_botom_09_2016_2.jpg?dl=0

kilrtjat

NOT COMMERCIAL OFFER. OFFERED EVERYTHING FOR FREE.

LvbLCAt.jpg

Out of the BOX the SOLO will kick your ASS.

GLASS on the lips = CIVILIZED

Whitemist

Hey guys, I've had my solo for 3 years or so I believe and I want to know if its safe to use. Im trying to quick smoking for good.

This sounds dumb, but I have no sense if smell and never have. So I am paranoid about inhaling plastic/fumes and not knowing. Just because I have read reports on line regarding this.

How safe is the air way in this device?

I also remember my solo would automatically turn off by it self after 1-5 minutes of use and would charge weird, it was screwed up. This was like a year ago or more....I left it alone for a while and started using it again recently, and it doesn't do that anymore and works normal. Seems kinda sketchy.

OF

IMO it's one of the safest vapes around. Nothing to melt or out gas, really. So much safer than blazing the risks don't belong in the same consideration. Enjoy it with a clear conscience.

I agree with LH, you should consider a new battery pack. It sounds like the original one was marginal when you put it away and for sure it hasn't improved in storage. If it wasn't properly charged (to say 70%, not full or dead) that alone could have wiped it out?

If it's old enough (and it sounds like it is) you can also run 'true PA', IMO a great feature sacrificed to the 'demand' for 'use while charging'.

OF

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Hello
I see you have a damaged solo ... you do not want to try my idea for free. I need someone who has it so damaged.

I have already cut off on my bottom. But there is a problem with serial number and US laws.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/thblluslg5gbgc7/04.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mxhdsmm8oso2lif/01.JPG?dl=0

So I created a prototype plastic, which should go put on the original bottom. So far, the test version.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r7bb5azxgtt09sf/bottom01.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n5c2xneurg800bs/prototyp_botom_09_2016.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7tojgyy8jkuftgf/prototyp_botom_09_2016_2.jpg?dl=0

kilrtjat

NOT COMMERCIAL OFFER. OFFERED EVERYTHING FOR FREE.
Too bad I can't see your inventiion?

Use imgur.com to post photo's!

facebook and instagram and other's most people never see?

SOLO is a practical portable and CIVILIZED for the garden if you pull weeds when they arise.
Like in the spring?

UNBREAKABLE GonG's = CIVILIZED ideal
All my GonG's & STEM's are in shattered pieces!
I miss my SOLO so much!

Machine shop visit is in order!
Maybe in 3,000 year's time we will have UNBREAKABLES?
It could just be me?

I bought a bunch of NYLON ROD to make some however never got around to it!

Many manufactures don't make UNBREAKABLES and make customers buy parts to maintain until their customer base is dead!

Like toothpaste or toilet paper.
Honesty's not in our program.
@kilrtjat PM me and get my address I'll try anything to make CANNABIS CIVILIZED! . < EARTH (PALE BLUE DOT) = HOMO-SAPIENS > 1/1,000,000 x smaller in a MULTI-VERSE = CARL SAGAN paraphrased by a goofball

Last edited:

OF

Too bad I can't see your inventiion?

It's there, at least for me. I had to click the 'show me anyway' text under the 'sign up to see the goods' stuff.

It obviously remembers me, I only did it once and can now see them without further BS. This means I can't check for sure what I did, but IIRC it's at the very bottom of the page and doesn't show as an (obvious) 'radio button'.

OF

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
It's there, at least for me. I had to click the 'show me anyway' text under the 'sign up to see the goods' stuff.

It obviously remembers me, I only did it once and can now see them without further BS. This means I can't check for sure what I did, but IIRC it's at the very bottom of the page and doesn't show as an (obvious) 'radio button'.

OF
Thank you!

ataxian,

Leathersmith

Hey guys, I've had my solo for 3 years or so I believe and I want to know if its safe to use. Im trying to quick smoking for good.

This sounds dumb, but I have no sense if smell and never have. So I am paranoid about inhaling plastic/fumes and not knowing. Just because I have read reports on line regarding this.

I also remember my solo would automatically turn off by it self after 1-5 minutes of use and would charge weird, it was screwed up. This was like a year ago or more....I left it alone for a while and started using it again recently, and it doesn't do that anymore and works normal. Seems kinda sketchy.

I've been using a Solo for over 5 years.. it's totally safe and totally effective. If you're having weird cycles timing, it is like others said.. you battery.. Good luck.. Kick that nasty smoking habit once and ofr all!!

ls

SilentRunner

High capacity replacement battery not showing charge (during charge or when switched on)?

I will give my favorite vape (2 year old solo) to my mom (>80) next week and I thought: why not replace the battery with the high-capacity battery I bought last year.

Is it normal that the solo does not show the charge with these batteries? After I replaced the battery and switched it on only LED 7 was on for a split second, not 1+2+3+4+... to indicate the charge. I set temperature to 7 and it was heating up, after 2 minutes the temperature dropped rapidly with charge blinking.

I am charging it right now. Charge is blinking green and the blue idle light is on. Nothing else.

SilentRunner,

OF

Is it normal that the solo does not show the charge with these batteries?

I am charging it right now. Charge is blinking green and the blue idle light is on. Nothing else.

No, it is not. Not normal at all (which is why you don't find a lot of discussion on it). IMO it points right back to a battery pack problem. Specifically I think that for whatever reason one (or even both?) of the cells has gone dead flat and therefore the protection PCB in the pack has 'fired' to protect it (something like a fuse or circuit breaker does). This presents us with several problems, the first of which is 'unlocking' the protection circuit?

The only way we have of doing this after the pack is sealed is by 'trickle charging'. As loose cells we could have charged the cells individually, no longer an option. Chargers use a very small 'trickle current' to sense a battery in need of charging and also to 'unlock' in the case of extreme discharge (one the normal Solo circuits didn't stop before the battery crashed). Depending on how bad the fault it can be an hour or so to several days. Don't give up too soon. After that it should be more or less normal but the base issues will remain and the cells will be 'out of balance' meaning the stronger will hammer the weaker a bit on every cycle (discharge and recharge).

Balance is critical to making a long lasting, quality pack. Lots of ways to make them wrong, not so easy to get them right.

The original problem (the one that killed it) still remains of course, you did nothing to fix that whatever it was. A lame/defective cell could have 'self discharged' below safe limits, it'll do so again when the mood suits. The protection PCB could be defective and using too much current in it's full time monitoring (even after shut down). I've seen this too in the journey of building Solo packs. It could have been sloppy (or ignorant) construction of a pack with poorly matched cells (important detail, easily overlooked by amateurs). Since they are in series there's no way to correct this (charging the weak cell also charges the strong making it still stronger), it's 'cooked into' the pack

None of this bodes well for the sort of gear a guy wants to give his mother to depend on. It could (and no doubt eventually will) 'go south again' without warning and at a key time (funny how that bit always seems to happen.....). OK for personal use (if you stay aware) but you should, I think, consider the old pack? How is it doing?

For your amusement here's a factory pack with it's clothes off:
Xm1CurQ.jpg

The white thing at one end is the thermal safety Arizer describes, something I put in the packs I built but never found in an 'aftermarket' one like you have. IMO Arizer put this in for a reason, not to waste money and introduce another potential point of failure. It's a safety feature not found on cheap copies. Which can also have substandard or poorly matched cells or cheap/defective protection boards.

My advice it 'jump start it' if you can, but save it for personal use where you can keep an eye on it over time? Mom will do better on a battery, even a worn one, without such surprises.

OF

SilentRunner

I think the battery was just discharged after sitting in the drawer for almost a year and I was too impatient when charging. I thought li-ion batteries hold their charge for years. It seems I was wrong there.

After a while the lights lit up and now it is at 7. When I switch it on now 1-7 light up, so all is fine.

Now I hope my mom will have more luck operating the solo. I gave her my focusvape, and she could not turn it on. You have to press a button 4 times and she was unable to do that quickly enough.
I hope she can load a stem and insert it. She has Parkinson's, no tremors, but her fingers are quite stiff

OF

After a while the lights lit up and now it is at 7. When I switch it on now 1-7 light up, so all is fine.

No, I don't believe "all is fine". It should not have happened, and since you did nothing to fix the underlying issue it's almost certain to happen again. Did you read my post above? I still believe it, and notice I predicted it would (seem) to 'fix itself' if left charging?

Your call, but IMO it's not the sort of thing your mother can depend on any more than you could?

OF

SilentRunner

Yes, I have read your reply several times and I really appreciate your concerns. I am still unsure if a) the batteries were simply fully discharged, b) one of the cells has a problem, or c) the pcb is broken.
I will keep the solo for another week and test the new battery back thoroughly. Finished first session on 7, heatup time was spectacular for a solo og. If all goes well I'll tell my mom to always charge at 2. I'll charge and keep the old battery pack (2 years of moderate use). If the new battery dies it is a 2 hour drive

Chocu1a

Well, broke my first stem. Was moving boxes around and knocked over my solo. Solo landed on the carpet, but the stem flew off and landed on the tile flooring. Wasted a freshly loaded bowl, too. Bummer. Thank goodness for PIU and their discount codes. Ordered 3 more stems just to play it safe. Probably need the silicon rings to make the fit tighter, but PIU was out of stock of theirs.

Leathersmith

Well, broke my first stem. Was moving boxes around and knocked over my solo. Solo landed on the carpet, but the stem flew off and landed on the tile flooring. Wasted a freshly loaded bowl, too. Bummer. Thank goodness for PIU and their discount codes. Ordered 3 more stems just to play it safe. Probably need the silicon rings to make the fit tighter, but PIU was out of stock of theirs.

I learned long ago.. when you cache your tube, take it out of the Solo (or Air) and set it aside.. when this is not practical, I always make sure that the solo is on it's side and well away from an accidental flight to the floor.. Broken many tubes over the past few years... but I still have not found a vape I like better..

ls

OF

Well, broke my first stem. Was moving boxes around and knocked over my solo. Solo landed on the carpet, but the stem flew off and landed on the tile flooring.
I learned long ago.. when you cache your tube, take it out of the Solo (or Air) and set it aside..

Excellent advice on not breaking stems. For equally good advice on how to do it, @ataxian is our guy for sure. For instance, I'm sure he'd say 'nix the carpet'.....he's a big fan of concrete decking around the pool or tile floors inside. The man has a plan, he's not just another pretty face you know.

OF

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Your the MAN!

Breaking Stem's and GonG's!

Just think unbreakable parts in about 2 or 3 centuries?

Wait we will be gone!

No one lives forever as far as we know?

My SOLO is still working fine.
@OF made this gizmo that makes the battery pack last so long?

I will get a new SOLO when this one dies?

SIMPLE like a cordless drill.

Top Bottom