Arizer Solo

biohacker

I think people focus on conduction vs convection too much for vapor quality, I feel like vapor path is just as important. Glass will always taste better than metal IMO. We always preferred glass over metal in our smoking days.

I'm a flavour snob, and recently let go of the Mighty for the same reason, the conduction affects flavour negatively IMO, and the GH blows both away, as does the VHW, Herborizer, supreme v3, and many others, but that's my experience and everyone is different. Don't forget, the solo used to have a ceramic film coating that made it taste way better than the current, what metal is it? stainless steel base I believe. That's the bottleneck IMO.

The lowest usable temperature for herb on the Solo is 185c. That's up there, that's not even considered "low temp vaping" IMO. Just another reason why I don't think the solo is the greatest for flavour. And certainly don't let it "roast" for too long.

Thanks for the heads up on the pens!

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
@Gramin Really? The Solo is like a dinosaur compared to the GH. I think it's a great product but horse and buggy vs Ferrari.

When the Solo was first released, there was a flood of RMA's and they actually started letting you keep the original Solo and sent a brand new one. They had to make a design change, then refined more and more like many other products.

I won't forget those nasty toxic smells and tastes although I still maintain that those flaking ceramic solos were the best when they worked.

And I agree with @OF bring back the true battery bypass adapter!
XqQadPC.jpg

The SOLO is the best portable in my situation.
MEDICAL for sure.
If there is a new model?

CIVILIZED = I NEED and FEEl BETTER with a SOLO!
I tried various PORTABLES however like you I'm a flavor snob.

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Ataxian the solo cannot be for you as it is too delicate with the glass pieces! How many have you broken? Common, be honest. All time count for broken stems or gong's!? :D
I break glass every fuckin day!

Unbreakable atttachments?
Maybe in 1,000 years?
The other portables taste so bad?

I use a plug-in the most.
The SOLO I handle! (it's cheap as well)

Buzzbomb Almighty

Solo is my only vape but I have 2 and rotate them. After about 15 months it's long been second nature to load a gong instead of lighting up, but in some situations a joint to be passed around is still more convenient. I was buying zig zag whites by the carton, and still have most of one left. That's a lifetime supply now for someone in their 60's. :lol:

uhranium

I'm somewhat interested in how the airflow of the new unit might be. Mighty is out for 2,5 years now and I don't think I want to buy a new arizer unit that has an airflow that is only slightly better than a 2014 solo.

kellya86

Herb gardener...
I'm somewhat interested in how the airflow of the new unit might be. Mighty is out for 2,5 years now and I don't think I want to buy a new arizer unit that has an airflow that is only slightly better than a 2014 solo.

Iv never really understood the solo being restrictive.... iv always found mine to be rather free flowing....
I do have a new model, not an old one..

Maybe I haven't experienced enough vapes yet.....

OF

Maybe I haven't experienced enough vapes yet.....

I doubt it. I suspect just the opposite. I think most of the 'this is too restricted for me' is based on blazing experience. Or perhaps with some plug in vapes that aren't power limited like portables are.

PVHES was here long before customer demand started getting Arizer to 'open up' the restriction. Those who wished to experiment with the idea could buy stems in several different restrictions to try out. Many/most of us did. And I think it's safe to say most abandoned the effort? I use my occasionally still, but for the most part it's factory stems in early production Solos (before the 'upgrade'). Sipping just gives better results IMO. Honk on it and you definitely get more volume, but the vapor is more dilute. Unlike blazing (where harder draw feeds the fire and makes yet more heat), heat input is limited and thus vapor can only be made so fast. Try to push it and temperatures drop and vapor slows. Pushing harder makes it worse as the temperature drops further. You just can't get enough 'calories per minute' conducted into the load to support higher rates. Building this extra air path(s) into the unit rather than a custom stem doesn't change that.

I think some give a disservice to Arizer by not appreciating they have put a lot of experience and testing into the original design. They surely tried different size ports early on, same as they saw the advantage of 'true PA' but customer demand is a strong motive. In general, smart Capitalists provide what the customer wants.....if they want to stay in business.

I think folks should 'scratch that itch'. Like plugging the vents in Vapman in the mistaken belief the designer really didn't know what works best, owners should experiment for themselves and decide. Don't accept other guys opinions (including mine). And yours?

FWIW, I'm with you here, but then again, like you, I've tried both ways?

OF

abhishek

Can anyone confirm if my 3 yr old PA for Solo would work with 2017 model?
My old solo broke after 3yr use ,I always used it with PA ,and now I want to buy a new Solo.
I am not sure if the new 2017 model will work with my old PA??

abhishek,
Reactions: OF

OF

Can anyone confirm if my 3 yr old PA for Solo would work with 2017 model?

Nobody can confirm that, unless they lie, because it can't. As of two or so years back (no way to tell by S/N.......) 'use while charging' became a feature (at consumer 'demand'). The 'true PA' function was lost in that process since the charger can only charge at a rate about half the total needed to run the heater, the other half has to come from a working battery. This means that 'use while charging' is constantly charging then discharging as the heater cycles on and off.......pretty tough on the battery.

This makes efficient 'power management' much harder IMO, if you want to prolong the battery. You need to charge fully then unplug and immediately enjoy a session (to avoid sitting at full charge), then run on battery until it's discharged down to a light or two before doing it all again.

What is wrong with your current unit? Perhaps we can get it going again?

OF

biohacker

Gotta love Arizer....I guess you need to buy it first, and then "see"!

Includes: 1 Power Adapter for use with the Solo to power the unit instead of using the battery charge.

Compatibility: Arizer Solo units that cannot be used while charging.

There is a 2017 model? Or are we referring to Arizer's NEW product? Which IMO is NOT a Solo and not sure why it's even getting mixed up in this thread.

OF

There is a 2017 model? Or are we referring to Arizer's NEW product? Which IMO is NOT a Solo and not sure why it's even getting mixed up in this thread.

Not officially, I think, but folks 'hear' about new/old and hope that defines what they have or want? To most customers they are the same animal. Most of the original owners didn't understand the PA idea, but wanted to use their Solo like they do their cell phone (run it flat the plug it in and 'use while charging')? Only, unlike cell phones the charger doesn't supply enough power to do the whole job. It's really "charge while using"?

For most one thread is probably enough? I wish the new version was 'Solo II' or something with real Solos still available (it was not, IMO, an obsolete product at all).

For a year or so you could buy return Solos, cleaned and tested with new glass and accessories, for $60 or so from PIU. I stashed two, bought several others and gave them to new owners. Sadly, that too is no more?

Add to that list of 'too bad you can't buy new ones anymore' Purple Days and the entire Thermovape line and it's easy to get blue over losses in the market. While in general, old stuff in the market needs to get out of the way so new products can face their test in the only place that really matters I think the vape market is growing so fast anyway we could find a place for TV, PD and other popular makes as well as 'old models' of Solo and other current sales stars?

Cars are like that, modern ones being very reliable and feature filled compared to classics.......still there's something special about a vintage car.......

OF

Top Bottom