Arizer Solo

Dr. Soxhlet

SOLO Vaporized Cannabis is my Best Medicine
I'd recommend the D020-D!
Yes! One of the best choices for water filtration. And no worries about water ending up in your Solo. I had a problem a couple of times with the Pinnacle Water Tool siphoning and dumping water in the Solo, so now I only use it at the end of the whip. The D020 is cheap, but is good enough quality and works amazingly well with the Solo.

vapen00b

Many vapes & accessories. Always happy to help
Hi guys,

finally my solo stem looks all gunky and I would like to save that honey gold resin. Heard about scratching it off from a lot of guys on FC. I like the idea but have never done it before. Don't wanna break things... When it comes to glass, that's easy to do. :D
How do you guys do the scratching? Don't wanna use ISO - scares me a little and is supposed to taste a little nasty.

Appreciate any help! :)

Have a great Sunday everyone

OF

Heard about scratching it off from a lot of guys on FC. I like the idea but have never done it before.

How do you guys do the scratching? Don't wanna use ISO - scares me a little and is supposed to taste a little nasty.

Have a great Sunday everyone

It's not so much scratching as scraping. Glass is pretty tough if you avoid abnormal stresses (think about how rough life is for a shot glass....). The idea is to lift the deposits off with a wire or something similar and wipe the tool clean before digging for more.

An alternative is to wipe it down with a bit of cotton then vape the cotton. In both cases heating the stem makes it easier. Lots of folks like this method since it leads to something you load back in the stem directly.

You can also vape the stem clean. Just heat the outside with your lighter until wisps of vapor form then hit away. This also is popular because it's easy and effective.

Hot chocolate is another popular technique. 3 points, make it hot, use real milk (it's the milk fat that does the work, whole milk at least, cream does even better) and lastly, be careful. Since it takes half an hour or more guys often OD on the stuff. Take it slow, but it's a great ride you should try.

Thanks for the kind wishes WRT Sunday, already working on that very thing. But, being retired, Sunday is not the same as when I worked........these days Sunday is the day with the thick newspaper......

Oh, yeah, and lots of traffic.

OF

vapen00b

Many vapes & accessories. Always happy to help
It's not so much scratching as scraping. Glass is pretty tough if you avoid abnormal stresses (think about how rough life is for a shot glass....). The idea is to lift the deposits off with a wire or something similar and wipe the tool clean before digging for more.

An alternative is to wipe it down with a bit of cotton then vape the cotton. In both cases heating the stem makes it easier. Lots of folks like this method since it leads to something you load back in the stem directly.

You can also vape the stem clean. Just heat the outside with your lighter until wisps of vapor form then hit away. This also is popular because it's easy and effective.

Hot chocolate is another popular technique. 3 points, make it hot, use real milk (it's the milk fat that does the work, whole milk at least, cream does even better) and lastly, be careful. Since it takes half an hour or more guys often OD on the stuff. Take it slow, but it's a great ride you should try.

Thanks for the kind wishes WRT Sunday, already working on that very thing. But, being retired, Sunday is not the same as when I worked........these days Sunday is the day with the thick newspaper......

Oh, yeah, and lots of traffic.

OF

Hi OF,

man, it's unbelievable- you seem to be the impersonated holy grail everyone is looking for. Thanks a lot for your effort!

How would you scrape the solo stem in particular.. It's a long and narrow tube and I imagine taking a paper clip and unfold it or some kind of wire and insert it would be quite a hustle? Is there a tool or "life hack" people have come up with? (Have to look if @Ratchett has made something?)
About the temp for scraping I read to cool/freeze the glass before you do, so you can kinda chip the resin off..?

About the alternative: will the solo/air be powerful enough to get the reclaim out of the cotton? If so, what temp is required/recommended (haven't tried this before, but I think cotton does add a taste to it? Don't like the idea adding something to it as I like it pure and natural. Maybe that concern is not valid here?)

What I did once was heating that stuff with a lighter and inhale that oil. Did it with the inner glass tube from my Vaponic. It was quite an experience - very intense and nice. But I learned it's really bad when heating the inner screen with tiny bits of ashes in it (yeah, I did combust some loads.. Learning curve, not intentionally). Had the worst and painful coughing in my life... Meanwhile I got so hi I almost panicked as coughing got really worse and no end in sight... Weeew, it still scares me.

Also to @lookhigh : thanks. Hot chocolate sounds like a nice alternative. I'll have a look for recipes for later. Maybe around xmas time :)

Hope you enjoy the news then (hopefully good one in these days even more). Brain food is always good, don't make it a job tho ;)

OF

Hi OF, man, it's unbelievable- you seem to be the impersonated holy grail everyone is looking for. Thanks a lot for your effort!

How would you scrape the solo stem in particular..

About the temp for scraping I read to cool/freeze the glass before you do, so you can kinda chip the resin off..?

About the alternative: will the solo/air be powerful enough to get the reclaim out of the cotton?

I'm not so sure about that Holy Grail bit, but it is true lots of folks seem to be looking for me.......most of them have badges, warrants and stuff...... Yer welcome for any help you can glean from it all.

I used a wire loop. About 20 Gauge IIRC, soft SS (although copper would also work fine). Avoid stiff wires in curved stems. I find warm temperatures make it easier. Frozen you have to chip it off, not fun.

Yes, Solo can pull the vapor out of reclaim just fine. Kick it up a bit in heat, and let it soak in well. The cotton is 'safe' at vaping temperatures, all it does is hold the oil and keep it from dripping down into the oven. Lots of guys vape occasional concentrates that come their way this way.

BTW, I don't think there's a reason to fear reclaim using ISO. It's not like QWISO hash, there's no 'nasty plant taste' to carry over. And, once you evaporate the ISO off, no taste from the ISO itself. This technique (solvent extraction) is widely used. For instance cooking oils are typically made with Hexane extractions. The key is removing the Hexane before packaging.

Lots to explore, enjoy the process.

OF

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
I'm not so sure about that Holy Grail bit, but it is true lots of folks seem to be looking for me.......most of them have badges, warrants and stuff...... Yer welcome for any help you can glean from it all.

I used a wire loop. About 20 Gauge IIRC, soft SS (although copper would also work fine). Avoid stiff wires in curved stems. I find warm temperatures make it easier. Frozen you have to chip it off, not fun.

Yes, Solo can pull the vapor out of reclaim just fine. Kick it up a bit in heat, and let it soak in well. The cotton is 'safe' at vaping temperatures, all it does is hold the oil and keep it from dripping down into the oven. Lots of guys vape occasional concentrates that come their way this way.

BTW, I don't think there's a reason to fear reclaim using ISO. It's not like QWISO hash, there's no 'nasty plant taste' to carry over. And, once you evaporate the ISO off, no taste from the ISO itself. This technique (solvent extraction) is widely used. For instance cooking oils are typically made with Hexane extractions. The key is removing the Hexane before packaging.

Lots to explore, enjoy the process.

OF
Heh, I too use heavy wire, some 20 gauge A1 kanthal. Seems to work a little better than the bent paper clip I was using. As for ISO washing it out, I find it too cumbersome and time-consuming to do usually, so what I do is have a designated bottle of it and just wash and pour back into it... might be getting close to the time to evaporate it actually...

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Heh, I too use heavy wire, some 20 gauge A1 kanthal. Seems to work a little better than the bent paper clip I was using. As for ISO washing it out, I find it too cumbersome and time-consuming to do usually, so what I do is have a designated bottle of it and just wash and pour back into it... might be getting close to the time to evaporate it actually...
@of.doesn't know about the "HOLY GRAIL"?

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
I seem to have an issue where the O-Ring doesn't fit. I couldn't screw the cap back on and it just wasn't working for me.

I have since found this warning on VapeFiend's listing :- "Some Solo models with a thicker cap will not be able to thread the cap on properly."

I guess I have the model that has the thicker cap and so it won't thread properly.

Has anyone here manage to resolve this?

OF

I guess I have the model that has the thicker cap and so it won't thread properly.

Has anyone here manage to resolve this?

Yes, it's been covered a lot......you're not the only guy to have seen this.

First off, this is a brand new unit, right? What were you messing with rings for? What problem were you trying to fix?

To your question, I think I was the first to report it a couple years back when the thicker caps first showed up:
nm3vf41.jpg

There are two 'solutions' to this, the preferred way is to sand the rings down, top and bottom. There is also a thinner ring (same ID, thinner cord), but it's fit is not always good and it's too thin to get a proper grip in many cases. Best to sand the ring. Stick it to some tape and rub the lot on a flat sheet of sandpaper of some sort. Do both sides.

Fitting is very important, under no conditions ever use the threads on the cap to 'clamp down' on the ring. You'll break the plastic tabs on the bottom for sure. They were not made to support any abnormal loads down. The cap should only 'lightly grip' the ring, no more than say 1/4 turn after initial contact. The idea is the ring grips the stem normally, and the cap holds it just tight enough to stop rotation.

Lots of the (IMO very important) details seem to have been ignored as the idea spread, like what it's for and how to do it. It has zero use on new units, it should not be there in any form. The idea is to keep the bent stem from rotating under gravity on worn units. Period. Why would you put one in a new unit? I suggest waiting until there's an issue to fix and then doing so carefully/properly.

OF

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
Hey @OF, the problem I'm trying to resolve is the stems falling out in my mouth during use and ABV spilling everywhere.

Yes it's a brand new unit, but I have found that while in use the fit in the oven is getting very loose to the point that on occasion during the session I've ended up with the Solo in my hand and the stem still in my mouth, with a lap full of ABV!

I believed the O-Rings are to stop this happening, so there is a snug grip on the stem while in the device.

I assume it's to do with the materials used (metal / glass) and heat with the varying expansion glass and metal have causing the standing start (cold) to fit snugly, but the stem getting looser and looser the more the oven heats up.

Is no one else experiencing this?

OF

I believed the O-Rings are to stop this happening, so there is a snug grip on the stem while in the device.

I assume it's to do with the materials used (metal / glass) and heat with the varying expansion glass and metal have causing the standing start (cold) to fit snugly, but the stem getting looser and looser the more the oven heats up.

You would be incorrect in that assumption I believe. As I said, the ring is intended only to stop rotation with the bent stem. Stems being loose is actually by intent. Ask the maker, he doesn't consider loose stems any kind of defect. In fact, the intent is that you can tip the stem to control the restriction.

Yes, everyone else experiences this. Stems get looser as the unit 'breaks in' and are looser hot than cold.

It's your unit, your call. But I advise not putting a ring in for other reasons (like making the stem 'tighter') and then doing so in accordance with instructions. In no event use the cap as a clamp. Many members have broken tabs this way and at least a couple have stripped the threads in the attempt.

Loose stems are a design feature, both by our collective experience and statement from the maker. Not a fault.

OF

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
Hey @OF, the problem I'm trying to resolve is the stems falling out in my mouth during use and ABV spilling everywhere.

Yes it's a brand new unit, but I have found that while in use the fit in the oven is getting very loose to the point that on occasion during the session I've ended up with the Solo in my hand and the stem still in my mouth, with a lap full of ABV!

If it really bugs you put the o-ring on some tape, then rub it against some sandpaper to thin it out!

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
least a couple have stripped the threads in the attempt.
Exactly my fear, as I tried to fit the O-Ring, I was thinking, this aint gonna fit and if I try to force it I'm gonna strip threads!

Loose stems are a design feature, both by our collective experience and statement from the maker. Not a fault.
Fair dinkum, I didn't think it was a fault per sa, and assumed the O-Rings were like after-market add-ons / accessories to enhance the product, not fix a problem.

I'll just have to be more carefull, though easier said than done. Dunno how I crushed my EasyFlow 18mm GonG, had a session before bed, went to empty bowl in the morning and the GonG was crushed and bits of ground / broken glass all over the place inside the oven.

I must have been real heavy handed when I put the bong down to have broken it like this, especially as I never noticed during the session? (Yes I had been drinking as well!)

Just been on VapeFiend and bought another (man 1st one only lasted me a week), but got an EasyFlow long mouthpiece while I was at it as well as some extra goodies to make up the basket enough for the 420 discount code ;) - I got a pack of wipes and screens instead of the O-Rings, based on your advice, so thanks once again, appreciated.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
@1DMF The loose stem is a feature that makes the Solo perform the way it does making the large tasty clouds. Out of habit I hold my index finders on my right hand on my glass curved stem. That holds it in place. You will get used to that, it's really no big deal.

Just relax and enjoy the Solo the way it's intended - sometimes you just go with the flow. The Vortex stem from Planetvape does fit more snug and gives more air flow. Lately just using the curved shorty stem from PV. A smaller oven.

OF

I'll just have to be more carefull, though easier said than done. Dunno how I crushed my EasyFlow 18mm GonG, had a session before bed, went to empty bowl in the morning and the GonG was crushed and bits of ground / broken glass all over the place inside the oven.

I must have been real heavy handed when I put the bong down to have broken it like this, especially as I never noticed during the session? (Yes I had been drinking as well!)

That can happen, better the stem than the WT most of the time?

Next time you're in a buying mood, try one of the plastic topped Air stems? They're ten bucks, fit the Solo, and mate up with 14mm GonG just fine.

Just relax and enjoy the Solo the way it's intended - sometimes you just go with the flow.

As always, CK has the right attitude here........the Lady is wise.

OF

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
Just relax and enjoy the Solo the way it's intended - sometimes you just go with the flow.
No worries there for sure, been seriously enjoying from day one. It's only because that nice man @Pipes gave me an o-ring with his stand, that I thought I'd try it. It then wouldn't fit, so came to ask... turns out - nothing to worry about :)

Next time you're in a buying mood, try one of the plastic topped Air stems? They're ten bucks, fit the Solo, and mate up with 14mm GonG just fine.
I don't like the sound of 'plastic topped' - this is one of the reasons I got the Solo instead of the Air (as well as price of course!)

My Bong is 18mm, so I guess it wouldn't fit anyhow?

OF

I don't like the sound of 'plastic topped' - this is one of the reasons I got the Solo instead of the Air (as well as price of course!)

My Bong is 18mm, so I guess it wouldn't fit anyhow?

I would not fear the plastic part. It's never exposed to significant heat, it's after all at the same end of the stem as your mouth? The plastic used (Polycarbonate) is a lot tougher than your lips.

Not fitting is, of course, an issue. You might someday consider an adapter or even dumping the bong in favor of the bubbler. Many members are fond of the D20 (right number?) from DHGate. I tend to favor smaller units personally.

Regards.

OF

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
You might someday consider an adapter or even dumping the bong in favor of the bubbler.
hmmm. I thought they were the same thing?

I have a similar glassware as the D20 from VapeFiend 'Bomb Tower Bubbler'

bomb-tower-bubbler.jpg

Am I wrong to call it a bong? It's my catch all phrase for meaning 'smoking through water' or as it is now 'vaping'.

Dr. Soxhlet

SOLO Vaporized Cannabis is my Best Medicine

The bent stem has always been my favorite. The fact that it rotates has always bugged me. Of course I had to make it worse by adding an extension:
solostem.jpg

When I bought my latest 2 new Solos I added washers to the four screws on the bottom of the unit. I found that if this is done before adding the "o" ring the cracking on the bottom plate will not occur. These have stayed there for several months until one "o" ring did get loose again, so I replaced it with a new ring and it was tight again. Pipes also supplies these tiny washers with his Solo stand kit.
But I agree, users should try it stock first. If you do decide to add the "o" ring; be sure to install the washers first.

Top Bottom