Arizer Solo

OF

I've quit using it while plugged into the charger, and it's now really annoying to keep it charged. Is there truth to this?

Yes, it's not a good idea to 'use while charging' on a completely flat battery and it's a bad idea to leave it 100% charged in 'standby'. Both are known killers of batteries, for different reasons.

FWIW, the ESV's latest software removes the 'use while charging' function because it was found to be killing batteries off fast (read 'in warranty') by guys running it until it stops then plugging it in and vaping on. Hammers the battery into the mud since the charger can only supply a fractin of the needed power. That 'feature' is now locked out to protect the battery.

I'm sure we all know laptops or cell phones that were left 'plugged in, ready to go' that now have no useful battery capacity? Now you know why. The same fate awaits the same sort of batteries used in Solo.

Sorry for the annoying part. You can ignore the warnings, of course, just plan on replacing the battery sooner.

Your call, of course, but that's the reason behind the warnings......which are, IMO, quite real and worth considering.

OF

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Day 2 with the Solo... I'm so far from mastering this thing, but already loving it and moving it up to DD position #1. Learning, learning, learning, but the options seem endless, just with slight stem angle changes. I'm sitting here in the sunlight, blowing some humongous, which might NOT (edit) be so visible in regular light, and not intentionally, just a great side effect. I absolutely love the taste I'm getting so far. I'm going to try a whole nugget soon, heard nothing but good things in the taste dept. Love the AA, but I think the Solo got her beat. Best vape I ever bought, at the best price. Thank you Randy at www.puffitup.com and all the members here who've contribute this endless wealth of knowledge and generosity.

Last edited:

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Day 2 with the Solo... I'm so far from mastering this thing, but already loving it and moving it up to DD position #1. Learning, learning, learning, but the options seem endless, just with slight stem angle changes. I'm sitting here in the sunlight, blowing some humongous (which might be so visible in regular light), and not intentionally, just a great side effect. I absolutely love the taste I'm getting so far. I'm going to try a whole nugget soon, heard nothing but good things in the taste dept. Love the AA, but I think the Solo got her beat. Best vape I ever bought, at the best price. Thank you Randy at www.puffitup.com and all the members here who've contribute this endless wealth of knowledge and generosity.
Welcome to the wonderful world of vaporizers!

I have had a few!

However portable wise the SOLO is the best bang for the buck!

Jaindoh

Yes, it's not a good idea to 'use while charging' on a completely flat battery and it's a bad idea to leave it 100% charged in 'standby'. Both are known killers of batteries, for different reasons.
I was just using it when it had charge, while still connected; the newer units were referred to as 'charge and heat' or something, so I did so. Not so much while flat dead. Is that okay, as long as the charge light isn't solid green?

Going to hold off on doing it, anyways, until you/anyone chimes in on this. MIG24 unit.

So do the old brick style power adapters work (safely) with the newer solos for this reason?

OF

Is that okay, as long as the charge light isn't solid green?

Going to hold off on doing it, anyways, until you/anyone chimes in on this. MIG24 unit.

So do the old brick style power adapters work (safely) with the newer solos for this reason?

I would avoid it altogether, charge it or use it. Using while plugged in invites 'forgetting'.......

I think I just did 'chime in'. Twice? As we've said here lots of times that 'model number' is not useful. It either heats while charging (new) or not (old).

No, the PA works only with old style. The new version lacks the "PA feature" (where all the power comes from the external supply, 'none' from the battery).

OF

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
I would avoid it altogether, charge it or use it. Using while plugged in invites 'forgetting'.......

I think I just did 'chime in'. Twice? As we've said here lots of times that 'model number' is not useful. It either heats while charging (new) or not (old).

No, the PA works only with old style. The new version lacks the "PA feature" (where all the power comes from the external supply, 'none' from the battery).

OF
I remember reading somebody here got it working with the old PA but had to pull the battery from the unit... making it not so portable.

Just heard a beep... think it's time to get her back on the PA from your charger :)

0qs1eOk.png

sickmanfraud

FWIW, the ESV's latest software removes the 'use while charging' function because it was found to be killing batteries off fast (read 'in warranty') by guys running it until it stops then plugging it in and vaping on. Hammers the battery into the mud since the charger can only supply a fractin of the needed power. That 'feature' is now locked out to protect the battery.

I'm sure we all know laptops or cell phones that were left 'plugged in, ready to go' that now have no useful battery capacity? Now you know why. The same fate awaits the same sort of batteries used in Solo.

Sorry for the annoying part. You can ignore the warnings, of course, just plan on replacing the battery sooner.

Your call, of course, but that's the reason behind the warnings......which are, IMO, quite real and worth considering.

OF

@OF could you quantify the approximate difference in battery life (approximately is ok)? Would the battery die in 12 months instead of 13 months? Or more like 6 mo instead of 2 years?

I am curious about the "cost / benefit " analysis.

I cant speak for everyone on these boards, but if the convenience, is not too costly many may well vote for convenience over longer battery life.

Thanks for your assistance to all of us on FC.

biohacker

Yes, but for how long? Surely it's not a bad idea to leave it 100% charged and ready to go for a week? Would that be bad? A month? 6 months?

OF

@OF could you quantify the approximate difference in battery life (approximately is ok)?

No, I can't (or I would have???). Entirely too many variables in play. Temperature, for instance, plays a big part. As do the exact levels of charge. Best I can do is call out the concerns and encourage you to either 'play it safe' or educate yourself and make an informed choice? I suggest you can start places like this:
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Yes, but for how long? Surely it's not a bad idea to leave it 100% charged and ready to go for a week? Would that be bad? A month? 6 months?

Same answer, 'it depends'. Too many other factors to consider to give the sort of answer you want.

You, however, should consider that battery makes ship partially charged......and they know what they're doing. It's cumulative, every hour subtracts from the total (whatever that is). IMO it's worth avoiding.

I think an attendant danger is screwing up if you get in the habit?

How long did it take leaving that cell phone or laptop at full charge to kill it? I know examples of that less than a year (or so the owner claimed....).

IMO 'use while charging' is dangerous and no real advantage, charge it or use it but not both. And 'discharge it some (have a session), or stop the charge early, before putting it away' is an easy rule to live with.

I feel strongly enough about this to have developed this 'gadget' to automatically shut down charging 10% or so early. I expect it is at least doubling my battery life over typical (the reasoning is in the link above)?
jy0w0hN.jpg

Your call, as always, but this is a known bad thing and IMO worth considering.

OF

uhranium

This is for technic lovers but not for the stoner who is too lazy to even watch at vaporizers due to their prices "Uh I'd rather buy 1/2 oz of weed with that money". I used my solo daily for 2 yrs and the battery is still working, I did not use it for 4 months because I got a mighty and lend the solo to a friend.

OF

. I used my solo daily for 2 yrs and the battery is still working, I did not use it for 4 months because I got a mighty and lend the solo to a friend.

Excellent, glad you're satisfied with Solo, it's a good vape for sure. Two years old? So it's old style?

OF

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
No, I can't (or I would have???). Entirely too many variables in play. Temperature, for instance, plays a big part. As do the exact levels of charge. Best I can do is call out the concerns and encourage you to either 'play it safe' or educate yourself and make an informed choice? I suggest you can start places like this:
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Same answer, 'it depends'. Too many other factors to consider to give the sort of answer you want.

You, however, should consider that battery makes ship partially charged......and they know what they're doing. It's cumulative, every hour subtracts from the total (whatever that is). IMO it's worth avoiding.

I think an attendant danger is screwing up if you get in the habit?

How long did it take leaving that cell phone or laptop at full charge to kill it? I know examples of that less than a year (or so the owner claimed....).

IMO 'use while charging' is dangerous and no real advantage, charge it or use it but not both. And 'discharge it some (have a session), or stop the charge early, before putting it away' is an easy rule to live with.

I feel strongly enough about this to have developed this 'gadget' to automatically shut down charging 10% or so early. I expect it is at least doubling my battery life over typical (the reasoning is in the link above)?
jy0w0hN.jpg

Your call, as always, but this is a known bad thing and IMO worth considering.

OF
I have a gizmo gadget for my SOLO from @OF I only charge with it.
my SOLO is over 3 years old and still very strong!

I had 3 at one time?
ridiculous

CANNABIS is the HOLY GRAIL anyway!

lookhigh

FC member
I agree with OF on the battery front, it was hard for me to change my charging habits.
I grew up with NiCad bats that need full charging and had a memory effect.
Having said that i leave my phone (galaxy s3) on charge all night every night and the bat is still 90% after 2 years. So many variables.

• What is the meaning to life?
  • Where can I get a good aphrodisiac?
Both same answer Cannabis

OF

Having said that i leave my phone (galaxy s3) on charge all night every night and the bat is still 90% after 2 years.

Cool, does it actually run as long as when new? Those numbers are based on voltage, not really capacity. I have a DVD player that shows '100% charge' but won't run it more than 15 minutes. It takes a small fraction of 'nameplate rating' to fully recharge it, it recharges in less than half an hour not several hours like when new.......that's a clue......

OF

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Now that I own both the Solo and Air (as well as the long battery life Mighty), I have to recognize that one of the best things to ever happen to vaporizing is the Air's replaceable cells, changing the entire ballgame, especially when it hits almost as good as its big brother. Way to go Arizer. Win - win, and priced right, and tons of choices. Great fun.

[EDIT] Damn, I must be vaked, wrong thread again. I gotta get my AA and Solo shit together!

Last edited:

lookhigh

FC member
Cool, does it actually run as long as when new? Those numbers are based on voltage, not really capacity. I have a DVD player that shows '100% charge' but won't run it more than 15 minutes. It takes a small fraction of 'nameplate rating' to fully recharge it, it recharges in less than half an hour not several hours like when new.......that's a clue......

OF
From new i dont know as i got it second hand.
I haven't noticed any reduction in run time though.
Just lasts the full day...... remember the days when my brick Nokia did a full week on one charge.

VapeHeadz

Thanks for the tips on the battery and charging whilst using it. As OF mentioned above somewhere I have used my solo whilst on charge and then passed out for a while waking up hours later with it on full charge and still charging, and I now know that this will lead to my battery dying sooner so I shall try and cease doing that. Instead I will try and just use it and turn it off and I shall charge it when I know I can keep an eye on it and remove the charger as soon as I see it hit the top charge section or close to it.

OF

Instead I will try and just use it and turn it off and I shall charge it when I know I can keep an eye on it and remove the charger as soon as I see it hit the top charge section or close to it.

Sounds like a good plan to me. My advice (and what I do) is to run it down fairly far as a matter of convenience (but never more than 'one last session' the first time it shows no lights on the 'battery meter'). There's a modest reserve at the bottom, but deep discharges also limit life. The 'safety cutoff' is usually well past this point, makers want you to have lots of sessions per charge you know.

Then charge it up, ideally to the point step 7 is lit, but the charge light is still flashing. There are 'two steps' at the top actually, stopping it when the 7 lights stops charging 10 to 15% early and will according to the article above double your battery life. Less that a full session per charge stopping a bit early and you get over twice as many recharges?

In fact I like the idea so much I designed the gadget so I didn't have to watch the sucker charging. Plug it in, push the button, when it beeps it's done. It even cuts 20 minutes or so off the recharge time since the last 10% charge is done at a much slower rate (half speed average).

Depending on your nature it's a simple thing to do or a royal PITA to be avoided at all costs, but if getting the most from your battery is important it's worth considering?

OF

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
It's time to try the O-ring.
I know you can shave or sand to reduce height as to not require overtightening. I also saw the post by OF on how to increase airflow by taking small cuts out of the ID (absolutely necessary?). I guess I'm most concerned about unscrewing the top of the Solo (or Air for that matter) as I've never done it before. I know over-tightening, when replacing is an issue, so only a 1/4 turn past first stop when putting back together. Will there be a visible gap in the outer housing?

I like the guerrilla tape and sanding, I think, over shaving, probably less technique involved (???). I'm used to the tight Air stems and now the Solo must be breaking in and stems are getting looser. Feels weird to me, might be impacting my "technique" a bit. I'm sure I'll adjust to the lose stem (rocking, tilting), but the Air just seems more solid with the stem fixed.

I'm sure where the O-ring goes will become apparent when I remove the top. I know there are tabs and screws in there I have to "not break". We'll see how this goes, just love this vape too much to break it.

Any last words Solo brother and sisters?

OF

I'm sure where the O-ring goes will become apparent when I remove the top. I know there are tabs and screws in there I have to "not break".

No, they're not. The tabs are in the bottom plate, the screws go through them upwards into the tube. Normally you don't mess with them unless you're opening it up (like to get to the bottom).

Remember, the issue the o-ring is intended to 'fix' is to keep the bent stem from rotating on it's own due to gravity. Using it to make an old Solo as tight as a new Air is not the intent. The Air and Solo are different in their seals, making a Solo as tight as Air is not realistic IMO.

The idea is for the ring to (naturally) grip the stem tightly enough to stop rotation and the cap pinch the ring tightly enough to keep it from rotating with the stem. Any attempt to crush the ring with the cap is not a good idea.

OF

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
No, they're not. The tabs are in the bottom plate, the screws go through them upwards into the tube. Normally you don't mess with them unless you're opening it up (like to get to the bottom).

Remember, the issue the o-ring is intended to 'fix' is to keep the bent stem from rotating on it's own due to gravity. Using it to make an old Solo as tight as a new Air is not the intent. The Air and Solo are different in their seals, making a Solo as tight as Air is not realistic IMO.

The idea is for the ring to (naturally) grip the stem tightly enough to stop rotation and the cap pinch the ring tightly enough to keep it from rotating with the stem. Any attempt to crush the ring with the cap is not a good idea.

OF
Point well taken... holding off on O-ring, as loose is cool. I don't really use the bent stem all that much, so rotation isn't that big a deal. I guess it's my break in on the AA (as a vapist) that makes it "feel as if it's loose" but that's the idea. Gotcha once again, thank you!

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I really like the Solo's bent stem. I switch from the Vortex to the bent stem, I use one or the other mostly. I also use the bent stem with the Air. I'm glad I had the Solo to depend on when we went on a trip. I needed something that charged quickly and could easily be put away. The Air came in handy for the stealthiness factor. Bravo Arizer.

I use the @Pipes Solo stand, for those with chipped bottoms on their units. It covers your vape bottom area and allows the Solo to be charged in a standing position. I use mine all the time. Welcome to all the new Solo owners. A very good investment in your health and future vaporizing needs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom