• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Arizer Solo

VANVAS

I enjoy using the base also because I can charge the Solo while standing up.
Hi ! I don't understand something...are you charging the newer solo every moment?
And what is the problem if you put the solo on the table or anywhere, sideways, charging sideways, and when you don't use it also sideways ?? If you care about this... Always sideways...maybe is the same like the base?i mean about the bottom problem ,I'll buy the @Pipes base cause i like that you can charge it while standing up.
What guys you can say me?

Last edited:

OF

Why is it so important to charge upright? :shrug:

It's a feature folks have been asking for for years. I like having mine upright so I can see the lights easily. It's nice to not have to rummage around for the cable end (the base is always in the same spot). Pipes developed his stand (over a year or so and several models) in response to those requests.

It's a natural thing, I made several from plastic jars that fit the Solo, some tongue depressors and epoxy. Pipes and I exchanged design ideas a while back, he just got really serious about it. Due to the way I put washers on the base (to repair cracked tabs) I could not use his excellent bases on my 'using vape'. His latest design (with a floating connector) fixes that.

And, as CK says, it's handy on the Solo full time even.

The batteries themselves can be charged in any orientation.

OF

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
The main reason i bought one of pipes stands was to keep things a little neater on my little table that holds my Daily vape equipment.

Also now that the new solos work while charging I find it nice to be able to stand the solo up if I'm using it plugged in which it won't do on it's own since the plugs on the bottom.

Canadianguy

It's a feature folks have been asking for for years. I like having mine upright so I can see the lights easily. It's nice to not have to rummage around for the cable end (the base is always in the same spot). Pipes developed his stand (over a year or so and several models) in response to those requests.

It's a natural thing, I made several from plastic jars that fit the Solo, some tongue depressors and epoxy. Pipes and I exchanged design ideas a while back, he just got really serious about it. Due to the way I put washers on the base (to repair cracked tabs) I could not use his excellent bases on my 'using vape'. His latest design (with a floating connector) fixes that.

And, as CK says, it's handy on the Solo full time even.

The batteries themselves can be charged in any orientation.

OF

What do you mean by a floating connector?I was thinking of getting one from Puffitup/w led!

Canadianguy,

OF

What do you mean by a floating connector?I was thinking of getting one from Puffitup/w led!

I think the PIU version is an older design, they haven't had LEDs in the latest versions. I'm not sure how important that is. In any event, it won't work with the floating connector. There there's 'nothing electrical' in the stand proper.

Floating means it's not fixed to the body (although you can glue it down if you want, which I did). This means the connection is solid no matter how thick the base is (mine have washers and pads, felt on one, rubber on the other). Here's Pipes post on them:
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/arizer-solo.3833/page-1203#post-669231

OF

Traaaaan

I get best results using UNground flowers in my Solo. (I do own multiple grinders and use them for other vapes.)

I find if I grind too fine then I end up sucking some through into my mouth. YMMV.[/QUOTE use ]screens! It's nice to be able to pinch a little piece off a nug but I've always found grinding leads to a more even burn and better tasting hits.

finally going to fuckcombustion and buy my first vape. I have my eyes set on solo but i need some info before choosing which authorised dealer to buy from.
I currently have two options; buy from eBay and have some money over for a scs 3 piece grinder or buy from a domestic online dealer and forgo my grinder. I currently have a aluminium no-name 4 piece grinder which gets the job done for combusting but a general consensus seems to be that fine grind gets more out of your herbs by vaping evenly. my question is thus how big is this effect with solo? i know from reading through the net that a few of you don't grind at all but i thought it would be best to ask before deciding, thanks in advance!
I have a ton of grinders but end up using the cheap plastic grinder that came from puff it up. The grind consistency didn't matter as much as the mflb. Heck, whole buds do pretty well in the solo too.

Last edited by a moderator:

VANVAS

I have to ask you people , how is the smell in your used solos ? A normal used solo have to smell like vapes MJ ? That green smell cause inside the solos and over the screw cap there is always grind vaped MJ , that is i can feel , im right ? Or have i got some odor problem in my unit??i can feel it in the oven and in the bottom plate
Thanks

VANVAS,

HomeFree

My Solo is still going strong. I start at 2 through water and keep going until there is no more vapor, then go up to 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, doing the same. Takes about two cycles to get every last bit of vapor out and pretty much completely exhaust the herb.

I use a dome screen carefully inserted so that 40 mgs (on average) of cannabis fits in there. I have tried going lower, but tiny quantities don't seem vape very well. I am now down to one gram of herb every four weeks, using it 6-7 nights a week.

VANVAS, My Solo does not smell like cannabis at all to me (when off and put away), maybe like decarbed cannabis or popcorn or something like that, but others can smell it if they sniff at it close to their nose.

HomeFree,
Reactions: biohacker

joeyb629

So i've asked a couple of times about the newer charge/use models, and @OF chimed in as he seems to be the battery expert on the forum. I've read through the posts about not overcharging, overusing, etc. and it all seems like complex gibberish to me and I still couldn't get my answer whether it's better to charge and then use (without a/c power), charge again, repeat, OR if I have power/charger available should I just use while plugged in. I decided I needed to know so I emailed Arizer...within 2 days I received this response:

Thank you for your email
The Solo has built in battery protections so the battery cannot be drained too low or overcharged. You can use your Solo unit on battery power or plug it in at your convenience. If you have access to a power outlet and your charger, it doesn't hurt anything to plug it in.
I hope this helps. If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Straight from the horses mouth (Arizer).

I am very interested in what @OF has to say about this as well...I just got my Solo and plan on using it mostly at home, so should I just plug it in while using if the option is available to me? Will that make my battery have a longer life?

joeyb629,

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
At least with the Solo the battery can be replaced by the owner. There is a video that guides you through the steps. It doesn't seem difficult even with someone that's not that handy, such as myself. I think that @CentiZen sells them still?

The battery is covered for a year. If you buy at Puffitup no worries and quick turn a round time.

Last edited:

biohacker

So opening the Solo up yourself doesn't void the warranty like most vapes?

I am very interested in what @OF has to say about this as well...I just got my Solo and plan on using it mostly at home, so should I just plug it in while using if the option is available to me? Will that make my battery have a longer life?

Well, according to Arizer - it has the necessary protections in place so it shouldn't matter (apparently). Regardless, i'm not too worried about it.

biohacker,

OF

@OF curious what you think of my recent post with an email from Arizer explaining the battery/charger. Do you agree? Or is this their little scheme to make us replace our batteries more often?

I've already said what I think of the idea. A couple of times. At least I think I did. At least once before and once after getting one to figure out. But here it is again, JMO (and why).

First off, let's give due credit here: This is a feature that 'we' asked for. Perhaps not demanded, but 'insisted on' I think is fair of at least some posts? Well, for better or worse they gave us what we wanted I guess. But I don't think it was their first choice, in fact they went to great trouble and expense designing a stand alone PA system. The easy way is the way it is now. There's a clue there I think?

The system has some advantage when in 'use while charging' mode over 'use battery power and recharge' in that the power from the charger can be used directly to heat. It's not enough power, however, the battery is needed for additional power. By leaving the charger heating 'full time' and cycling the battery part on and off I think I convinced myself about half the wear and tear on the battery was avoided.

The big problem is a human one I think. This will encourage folks to leave it plugged in and therefore charged too much. You can kill a battery of this sort by constantly charging it to maximum capacity (never actually using it). In general, charging above 90% (or better still a bit less) will double or more your battery life. Leaving it at 100% is about the worst thing you can do, really (aside from baking or repeated deep discharges perhaps). And this design encourages that.

Casual users might end up getting a few hundred rather than many thousands of sessions before replacement.

You could cynically say, I guess, 'Arizer loves it, they sell more batteries'. But they started out the other way and we told them this is what we want. I think we have to take the rap on that one?

Well, according to Arizer - it has the necessary protections in place so it shouldn't matter (apparently). Regardless, i'm not too worried about it.

True enough, both in 'hardware' (protection PCB) and software. But that doesn't alter the 'too long at 100% charge' issue......

OF

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
So opening the Solo up yourself doesn't void the warranty like most vapes?

Arizer would rather have the customer replace his battery than return under warranty. Saves them expense and time. There are not warranty seals on their units.

Battery technology has come a long way and with the Ni-cads being phased out, we have no memory effect anymore.
As for the treatment or best practice is different then can be done or not. Laptop and cell phone manufacturers also have the same battery technology and using a laptop while plugged it works fine. But use it that way for a couple months and than go on a road trip. You will find the battery drops like a rock. Keeping these batteries topped off all the time is not good. The charge extremes, both full and empty are not a good level to keep batteries at for any length of time. @OF has made a device to stop charging before it hits 100% to avoid this.
Another thing is the charge vs drain while using at the same time. It's not really at the same time as while the heater is on, the battery will be draining and when heater turns off, the battery will be charging. Now this reversing the current flow in and out of the battery constantly cannot be a good thing. Since batteries are rated by "number of cycles", it makes you wonder how much partial cycles count...?
This differs somewhat in PCs or devices that the power is more than enough for the device so while on charger the batteries is not normally utilized and the current flow stays in charge direction. The Solo's charger just doesn't have the available power for this so relies on the battery to make up the difference.
I think @OF can explain better as I'm not the best at putting the correct words together.

EDIT: Yepper he has...

biohacker

Great posts guys - thanks to both of you. I do distinctly remember using the older model solo's with the PA, and the battery did in fact go down.....obviously not as fast as just using battery power, but nevertheless, it did go down with time.

This is all super confusing to me....i'm going to have to refresh myself at BatteryUniversity. I've been using the same technique for years, very successfully....iphones, macbook, mp3 players, ipod, etc. and that is to keep it topped up. Now, I understand that for longer term storage it's a bad idea to top up (learned the hard way), and should be about 40% charge. But how long is storage? Does it need to be at 40% if only being shelved for a week? A month? My macbook is going on over 2 years now, and it's always charged up, but I do use the battery as well, typically not less than 20-40%. I still get incredible battery life. From what I remember, the important thing was not to deep discharge. I dunno why, but this is what I do and my batteries are going strong. OTOH, i've had buddies go through macbook batteries in less than a year so not sure what they're doing....I think they keep on thinking there is a memory and maybe deep discharge. I'm glad i've been steering them in the wrong direction by telling them to keep lithion-ion batteries charged up! lol

OF

Now, I understand that for longer term storage it's a bad idea to top up (learned the hard way), and should be about 40% charge. But how long is storage? Does it need to be at 40% if only being shelved for a week? A month?

Actually, the usual advice on this is in the 60 to 70% range. It will slowly decay over years, but still be OK years later is the general idea. As to what is normal use and what is storage, that sure seems like a personal call to me. I tend to avoid it by not fully charging unless I'm about to need it.

It's an area of many variables. Hard numbers are hard to figure, but we can take advantage of some useful strategies for longer life. And longer life is usually seen as a good thing, be ye man or bat'ry.

Or women, of course.

OF

bigtvapes

On the battery issue my solo doesn't really work if it's left even a little bit cold. It'll shut down and I can't turn it back on. If I go to plug it, the battery appears to be charged as it should be and won't be drained. But it still won't work.

Is this normal? Is my battery busted?

bigtvapes,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Is the Solo better than the EVO?

Haha, yep that is my question. I've been a Cloud user since day one and I also own a Solo. The Solo is my backup and yesterday I broke it out after killing my last ELB.

I used the same recycler I have been using for a couple of weeks and the Solo was SO much better with it! I mean the milk was thicker and I got way more hits. It's almost like it just wouldn't cache the small amount I used.

Admittedly, I haven't used the Solo in a few months, but shit... It medicated me way more than the EVO. Obviously I needed new ELBs, which will make the EVO hit better, but I'm also thinking of switching to the Solo as my main driver now :)

OvaDaBong

I have done a ton of research on the solo battery and being li-ion tech I want to get the most out of it no matter what, sure i could build my own pack from a few 18650's but id rather not for a long while. Im hopping that OF will eventually start building or selling kits ready to use or bag o parts style for the smart charger he has built or im thinking maybe setting up something similar using an arduino to detect a battery above 30% and start charging and stop at say 90%, i also plan to mold my own stand from clay or putty and build in my charge so i can sit it on the stand, when it hits a set limit the charger kicks in and kicks out when done, if i sit it back on the charger and its not at the low level it dose nothing. I dont think this would be that hard. I am so suprised that Arizer has not released a charge dock for the solo given its so popular and charging on its side suck. I also thought just bought a decal skin from sin devil on ebay, i got the silver solo so i went the Skull Camo that looks like it should suit nicely im still tossing up if i get my mate to cerakote the alloy body for me

biohacker

Is the Solo better than the EVO?

Haha, yep that is my question. I've been a Cloud user since day one and I also own a Solo. The Solo is my backup and yesterday I broke it out after killing my last ELB.

I used the same recycler I have been using for a couple of weeks and the Solo was SO much better with it! I mean the milk was thicker and I got way more hits. It's almost like it just wouldn't cache the small amount I used.

Admittedly, I haven't used the Solo in a few months, but shit... It medicated me way more than the EVO. Obviously I needed new ELBs, which will make the EVO hit better, but I'm also thinking of switching to the Solo as my main driver now :)

What the? Are we connected somehow? I have the EXACT same experience! EXACTLY. Much thicker vapour, LOVE watching it whirl up in the bubbler, and the hits never stop! I don't get it, but I don't care. But I must add that I use the EpicVape E-nano 18mm GonG, so maybe the open bore helps. I must let it heat soak a bit to get the best vapour production, or don't let it stew too long and get lighter tastier convection hits.

IMO ONLY Solo > EVO. I know, i'm a freak. I still love my Cloud+, but once it goes I will not be replacing it with an EVO. With all this said, you should try the E-nano! Kinda like a Solo on steroids.

If I was only allow to have ONE vape, there is no question it would be a Solo. If two, Solo + E-Nano. I think this is all I need to be complete. Best bangs for the buck IMO.

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Hehe, yea I know it's crazy, man. It's like I have to work to get the EVO to milk up nicely. The Solo just swirls vapor into the rig, as you said. I ALWAYS recommend the Solo over any other vape when talking to friends and people who might want to jump into vaping.

biohacker

It's incredible how "instant" the vapour production is too, very visually appealing...I am a cloud chaser.

EVO is pretty good for airflow, and I can milk a bubbler very nicely, but it's just not as "thick" as the Solo. Convection vs conduction/convection I suppose. The other thing is that the Solo vapour is much easier on my lungs...just feels warmer/fuller and not as dry/irritating.

Top Bottom