Arizer Solo

Xchadb

@Brownglass
Glass Blower
Haha nah, like I said non function...actually itd work dry as a nice shotgun piece, as I put a carb on it.

Xchadb,

OF

Yes, the new Solo appears to heat up a lot quicker than my old Solo. However, I wouldn’t say it’s that much better. I noticed that even though the new Solo was set to 3, it took a few draws until I noticed some vapor.

But what that tight seal resulted in was great vapor clouds after the Solo came up to temperature. I might have to do some research and see if I can locate the stock seals that are used in the assembly of the Solo, just so I can tighten up the old one. I know an o-ring is option to consider, but I don’t like the fact that the o-ring can put undo strain on the plastic base (causing cracking around the screws) and prevent the cap from being screwed all the way down.
I noticed that the new Solo appears to have a better battery life than the old one.

I really like the performance of the new one, the tight seal on the stem, and the longer battery life.

Great 'first post', lots of good stuff to mull over.

From what guys have said, I'm not sure the thermistor (temperature sensor) is in the same place? The mass to be heated doesn't seem to have changed, nor has insulation been added, and the heater power seems the same so it must be 'an instrument issue' since the rule of thermodynamics are still the same. That is it stlll needs the same number of calories (BTUs, whatever.....) to heat the load to the magic temperature. The 'may take longer to make solid vapor' observation could be quite telling here?

I also agree, tightening it up (letting less cold air in to rob heat and dilute the vapor) will give (smaller but) denser clouds. PVHES does make the draw easier, makes it easy to get a huge hit, but to get a thick one? I know I'm about to get some 'but I can.....' posts, I'm just repeating what the rules are.

I too think too many guys are screwing themselves up by rushing into putting o-rings in. Guys are distraught at not having them on hand to put into brand new units? Where's that coming from? Fixing some problem some random net.guy said he had with his? Before you know what you're doing? Asking for troubles I think. Somewhere along the line folks have got away from the idea that they need to be sure the ring fits right. IIRC we decided collectively long back 1/4 to 1/2 turn from contact to stop was ideal? Sand the ring thinner if needed. That's what I've been using and while I've broken several tabs I don't think I've done so with a ring fitted that way?

Good luck with finding the seals, IIRC several guys have tried without success. Probably safer than an o-ring tabwise? Please let us know what you find? TIA

On the battery issue, again the physics are against much improvement without cutting heat losses. Perhaps it's a battery issue? The definitive test would be to swap batteries........ FWIW my metric for battery life is 'step 7, open top (no stem), full sessions with only normal airflow. A (12 minute) session per battery LED step seems about average?

Thanks again for the thought provoking post.

OF

Dr. Soxhlet

SOLO Vaporized Cannabis is my Best Medicine
Great 'first post', lots of good stuff to mull over.

From what guys have said, I'm not sure the thermistor (temperature sensor) is in the same place? The mass to be heated doesn't seem to have changed, nor has insulation been added, and the heater power seems the same so it must be 'an instrument issue' since the rule of thermodynamics are still the same. That is it stlll needs the same number of calories (BTUs, whatever.....) to heat the load to the magic temperature. The 'may take longer to make solid vapor' observation could be quite telling here?

I also agree, tightening it up (letting less cold air in to rob heat and dilute the vapor) will give (smaller but) denser clouds. PVHES does make the draw easier, makes it easy to get a huge hit, but to get a thick one? I know I'm about to get some 'but I can.....' posts, I'm just repeating what the rules are.

I too think too many guys are screwing themselves up by rushing into putting o-rings in. Guys are distraught at not having them on hand to put into brand new units? Where's that coming from? Fixing some problem some random net.guy said he had with his? Before you know what you're doing? Asking for troubles I think. Somewhere along the line folks have got away from the idea that they need to be sure the ring fits right. IIRC we decided collectively long back 1/4 to 1/2 turn from contact to stop was ideal? Sand the ring thinner if needed. That's what I've been using and while I've broken several tabs I don't think I've done so with a ring fitted that way?

Good luck with finding the seals, IIRC several guys have tried without success. Probably safer than an o-ring tabwise? Please let us know what you find? TIA

On the battery issue, again the physics are against much improvement without cutting heat losses. Perhaps it's a battery issue? The definitive test would be to swap batteries........ FWIW my metric for battery life is 'step 7, open top (no stem), full sessions with only normal airflow. A (12 minute) session per battery LED step seems about average?

Thanks again for the thought provoking post.

OF
I agree. The factory retaining ring usually works fine when new. I still think the bent stem may be responsible for more people thinking they have a problem. That spinning stem can really bug a person.
The manufacturer recommends pushing the black ring back down with your finger till is is flush with the top of the heating chamber. I prefer to use an old plastic 35mm film canister using only light pressure. I had very little thread on the cap when it came and used this tecnique for a couple of weeks for fear of stripping the threads all the way. I finally installed the # 113 "O" ring anyway. I t went on and all is good with this new Solos' increased airflow. Now I just keep it there.

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
I do not use glass stems at all.
?

For me I love glass.
Then again CANNABIS is the "HOLY GRAIL"! Not vaporizers.
Glass does not alter the flavor profile!

FYI:
Flavor is important to some!
lrCbBg0.jpg

Last edited:

Dr. Soxhlet

?

For me I love glass.
Then again CANNABIS is the "HOLY GRAIL"! Not vaporizers.
Glass does not alter the flavor profil
Yes, the taste is much better with glass. My Blackwood pipe still lends a bit of its' taste even after having it for a year, but again, I use it for "on the go" situations where glass would likely get broken.
The diameter of these wood stems seems to be larger than the glass, mine is; so a loose glass stem may occur after using one of these.

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Yes, the taste is much better with glass. My Blackwood pipe still lends a bit of its' taste even after having it for a year, but again, I use it for "on the go" situations where glass would likely get broken.
The diameter of these wood stems seems to be larger than the glass, mine is; so a loose glass stem may occur after using one of these.
I have ED's WOOD STEM and it does fit tight. I don't consume flowers out side of my home. Maybe a wax pen for boating. I broke a glass stem every week until I added the 113 seals to all my SOLO'S. The WOOD is beautiful and kept me vaping while planet vapes got more glass stems in stock.
If I wasn't so paranoid I would use the wood stem while out and about.
Maybe I'm an exception to the rule?
I use glass!

OF

I still think the bent stem may be responsible for more people thinking they have a problem. That spinning stem can really bug a person.

Amen to that, it's what got me on the quest that led to the o-ring solution (you shoulda seen some of the clips, springs, gaskets and other BS that didn't work half as well......). Including a magnetic one....don't ask.

That stem harshed my mellow way too often. I got really tired of taking a nice, leasurly hit as I enjoyed the garden only to come up empty (or worse yet get poked in the cheek) trying for another casual hit...... Damn stem wasn't where I left it, and I don't like surprises. At least not that kind.

I was, and remain, unwilling to change style to suit the tool. And going back to the straight stem seemed like surrender........

Solo, gotta love it, something for (nearly) everyone.

OF

OF

I believe this falls into the category of "No Truer Words Have Yet Been Spoken!" :rockon::clap::nod::tup:

Hail OF! :bowdown:

You're too kind. I just happens sometimes, kinda slips out.......

Shoot your mouth off enough, you're likely to finally hit. Remember those monkeys at the typewriters?

Not to hold your breath or anything, we're all gonna grow older waiting for it to happen again.

Thanks.

OF

OF

I have used the MFLB battery caps on my Solo stems right out of the oven from the start. I've never experienced any issues.

Predictable, but those are the numbers. Look them up. 140F, far from 'too hot to hold'. Hot shower kind of hot. I can't even touch the stem out of the oven, I know it's more than that.

Anyway, as I said, those are the numbers. Owners get to determine what sorts of risks they care to run. I'll stay in spec in this or any other health/safety area if I can. Here we have options.

Your call.

OF

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
BCJyr9b.jpg
G74z7yj.jpg

I have better cases however after seeing yours I had to have some thing to bring my stuff into the garden so I can medicate correctly! $4.00 @ HARBOR FREIGHT!

Hey it's Monday right?

Last edited:

fogbank

Predictable, but those are the numbers. Look them up. 140F, far from 'too hot to hold'. Hot shower kind of hot. I can't even touch the stem out of the oven, I know it's more than that.

Anyway, as I said, those are the numbers. Owners get to determine what sorts of risks they care to run. I'll stay in spec in this or any other health/safety area if I can. Here we have options.

Your call.

OF

Maybe it's relevant to mention that I always turn my Solo off and take a looong last draw before removing the stem? Granted it is still "too hot to hold", but cooler than if it was pulled right from the oven?

In any case I do feel better informed now, thanks again to members of this forum. :)

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
HEy guys, so I wanted to a post on how im loving my solo after 6 weeks now (and I am/was), but I just started having some troubling issues that began after using my new eds stem (not sure if its related, but the metal does seem to work differently than the glass?) Though the issue itself began using glass (after using the metal/wood on 7 in a bong).

Anyway, basically what it does is sometimes after turing it on, instead of going to idle first its at one, and then when heating it fluctuates up and down, even higher than the temp I set sometimes, before either settling, or shutting off. Sometimes it will even work and turn on as usual, I even had a normal session (not 12 min tho), but also once in the middle of a fine session it would do that, both while I was inhaling and just sitting. (One thing that was odd with the wooden stem was that using the bong with it the temp would drop one or two with a big hit, before rising back up once stop inhaling, never saw that before with the glass, I guess bc the metal conducts too?). Finally to make matters worse, I think at one point, while it was dancing up and down, I continued to inhale, getting vapor, but it tasted a little off. Part of me thought it was just towards the end of the bowl (and it was), but given how everything seems I was afraid of some kinda offgas.

And so I have unscrewed the top to see that the little tab that sticks out a little on left, well there isn't one on the right! (And it might smell a little over there? Hard to tell For sure) And there is an exposed wire, and inside of the material of the oven (white) is exposed. But here's the thing, there's no piece, dangling or fell out or anything. So maybe it has been like this the whole time anyway? I never opened it until now.

So basically has anyone experience anything like any of what I've said before? Is my only course of action to contact arizer? (Bought from an eBay seller in Cali). So happy otherwise, but this scares/frustrates me...

EDIT: the smell is most definitely coming from the oven itself, not that little "hole" broken thing. Kinda smells plasticky?

Also other weird thing, after it shuts off it kinda comes back some times, or the idle light glimmers a little. Cuz it didn't get its 12min session but was confused and trying. Its an M1D btw. Is it just a dud? Anybody with experience exchanging through arizer? Thanks!!

Last edited:
Shit Snacks,

gbetter

Maybe it's relevant to mention that I always turn my Solo off and take a looong last draw before removing the stem? Granted it is still "too hot to hold", but cooler than if it was pulled right from the oven?

In any case I do feel better informed now, thanks again to members of this forum. :)

You can order high temp ones from planet cape.

gbetter,
Reactions: OF

vv132

Hey guys need your help!: Looks like my Solo just went defective(again!). After my m1d went defective after one month. My replacement solo M1E is now facing the same exact problems(after 6 weeks). I turn it on, and it turns off randomly after 1 min, 30 seconds, 20 seconds, 3 min. Just completely does not make sense. I was especially careful on this solo, never used it while charging, never let the battery drain completely.

Any idea what I should do to fix this? Or is this just a bad product at this point. It really should not happen twice like this i'm extremely frustrated as you can tell.
did the reset did not help infact shuts down even quicker now liek 15 seconds or 10

Emailing Randy at PUI hope i get a quick response

Last edited:
vv132,
Reactions: aceskace

Dr. Soxhlet

HEy guys, so I wanted to a post on how im loving my solo after 6 weeks now (and I am/was), but I just started having some troubling issues that began after using my new eds stem (not sure if its related, but the metal does seem to work differently than the glass?) Though the issue itself began using glass (after using the metal/wood on 7 in a bong).

Anyway, basically what it does is sometimes after turing it on, instead of going to idle first its at one, and then when heating it fluctuates up and down, even higher than the temp I set sometimes, before either settling, or shutting off. Sometimes it will even work and turn on as usual, I even had a normal session (not 12 min tho), but also once in the middle of a fine session it would do that, both while I was inhaling and just sitting. (One thing that was odd with the wooden stem was that using the bong with it the temp would drop one or two with a big hit, before rising back up once stop inhaling, never saw that before with the glass, I guess bc the metal conducts too?). Finally to make matters worse, I think at one point, while it was dancing up and down, I continued to inhale, getting vapor, but it tasted a little off. Part of me thought it was just towards the end of the bowl (and it was), but given how everything seems I was afraid of some kinda offgas.

And so I have unscrewed the top to see that the little tab that sticks out a little on left, well there isn't one on the right! (And it might smell a little over there? Hard to tell For sure) And there is an exposed wire, and inside of the material of the oven (white) is exposed. But here's the thing, there's no piece, dangling or fell out or anything. So maybe it has been like this the whole time anyway? I never opened it until now.

So basically has anyone experience anything like any of what I've said before? Is my only course of action to contact arizer? (Bought from an eBay seller in Cali). So happy otherwise, but this scares/frustrates me...

EDIT: the smell is most definitely coming from the oven itself, not that little "hole" broken thing. Kinda smells plasticky?

Also other weird thing, after it shuts off it kinda comes back some times, or the idle light glimmers a little. Cuz it didn't get its 12min session but was confused and trying. Its an M1D btw. Is it just a dud? Anybody with experience exchanging through arizer? Thanks!!
My Solo stopped working just shy of a year. Happened while using it, I could smell.....and taste:puke: that familiar burnt circuit board aroma. I had no problem having ebay seller myrubberneck handle the return, they were advertized as Authorized by Arizer. They sent me the newer model with the increased airflow and other changes.
Sounds like your have some serious problems related to loose wiring or circuit board. I would send it in.

MPhire

Trying to Focus
You're welcome.

And it definitely does work. More over, a charged Solo in one pocket and stem and small vial of ground bud in the other will take you WAY further than any can of beer will....... Trust me on this, I've done the experiment.

Several times.

OF

Hmm. How did you deal with little particles coming up the glass tube? Mine didn't come with a screen. I've been experimenting with how much to put in the bowl and whatnot but my technique seems like it isn't there yet.

I'm so used to my extreme q. I usually elbow pack it with 13% of a Gram and get about 7 hits total. (5 at 392 and 2 at 428) It doesn't combust. Just gets medium brown.

Ideally once you get good at the solo what can you expect? Like how much used/how many hits etc. Trying to get the most of out of my product :D

OF

Hmm. How did you deal with little particles coming up the glass tube? Mine didn't come with a screen. I've been experimenting with how much to put in the bowl and whatnot but my technique seems like it isn't there yet.

I usually run a domed fine screen in mine (I like 5/8 inch ones). But you can do fine with an intact bud (you don't need to grind or break it up, really, some don't). For sure it's an individual call.

I tend to be a 'sipper', so don't think in terms of how many (big) hits I get, but rather enjoying the session as long as it takes. Sometimes it times out before I'm ready, so I reset and carry on. Otherwise I shut down when I feel so inclined. I'm perhaps a poor example?

It is a very flexible machine, unlike many, I'm sure there's a technique that 'fits your pistol'.

Enjoy finding it.

OF

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH

I'm so used to my extreme q. I usually elbow pack it with 13% of a Gram and get about 7 hits total. (5 at 392 and 2 at 428) It doesn't combust. Just gets medium brown.

Ideally once you get good at the solo what can you expect? Like how much used/how many hits etc. Trying to get the most of out of my product :D
Like @OF said and I've mentioned a LOT in the last 10-15 pages, 1/2" screens fit flush in the stems. I use extra fine or fine screens (extra fine being my preference) and nothing goes through them.

How much you use and how many hits you get depends on you and your material. Some weed will finish producing vapor very quickly, some stuff hits three times longer. I tend to fill my stems only about halfway full, I get enough thick milky rips at higher power levels to satisfy me. For sure I can get more if I fully pack a stem, but I've been in conservation mode lately so I've been using domed screens.

Roi

Like @cawshook said there aren't any "bad/toxic" Solos out? You might have been reading the Ascent thread because I don't remember reading any posts here recently about funny smells? Read from the last 100 pages back, you'll get an idea about the Solo and how reliable it is. A lot of the stuff is repeated over and over so it's not going to be a full 100 pages of reading.

There is always danger when using batteries, I have not read about a Solo battery having a critical failure and causing any sort of harm.

The Solo is regarded as one of the best portable vaporizers for a reason. If it were toxic, it wouldn't be popular. If it sucked, people wouldn't constantly recommend it.

I've been some days unplugged; and I see the thread went on for so long... sorry for going back to my subject some pages ago; about Solo safety...

You're right Quetzalcoatl, I read about bad smell on the first hundreds pages... I'm glad it is set now; that means one more point towards Solo, in my mental score : )

About the cleanness of the air path; I found a post many pages ago (I landed on it when I google about "glue" and "Arizer Solo" to see if glue chemicals could affect air path. Well, it was a very impolite post from a user (Fail) who complaint about having found glue and other dubious materials when he explored
his Solo guts http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/arizer-solo.3833/page-412#post-310868

Unfortunately, due to his / her bad manners, the argument was not fully developed. I am a bit OCD (well, actually I am OCD : ) and so, I beg you pardon about my insistence: but did any of you happen to open your solo? did you encountered any glue or poor quality components?

Thanks for your patience : )

Roi,
Reactions: OF

aceskace

Oh No! My solo just went cuckoo!:cry:

M1D2 solo just bought less than 2 months ago from puffitup.

The unit first started going off at random points in the cycle, sometimes in 8 mins, sometimes in 3mins and sometimes would go the whole 12 min session.

Yesterday, once the unit was fully charged i switched it on and it went off immediately, tried again, and again went off. i tried plugging it (via the charger) back into the charger and switching on, but same result, goes off and into charge mode.

i left it overnight and tried it again in the morning, now the solo decides to turn on and stays on idle BUT if i move the temp setting to anything (1-7) it would just go off again.

i read somewhere that you could do a soft reset, tried that, but didn't work (or I'm not doing it properly, the instructions are not clear enough!). Out of frustration i decided to do all sort of weird combinations with the solo in the hope of resetting it i.e. hold the arrow buttons down together for 20 seconds, hold the up arrow for 5 seconds then the down one for 5 seconds etc. Basically a whole heap of nonsense and left the solo for a few hours to be.

My final attempt of silly combos was just let it sit on idle for 5 mins and then slowly bump the temp upto 7....guess what it worked! Got through a 12 min cycle! but when i tried to do it again.....it was back to square 1 (straight off)

STUMPED!

I know i have warranty for the unit but, i live in asia and returning it is going to be a hassle

aceskace,
Top Bottom